Monthly Fic Contest: Going Once, Going Twice...

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Monthly Fic Contest: Going Once, Going Twice...

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:11 am

We're going to make fic prompt contests a regular thing. (In addition to whatever other contests we have running.)

I'll post the new prompt around the end of the month. You have until the 17th to PM me your entries. (That is, until midnight US Eastern time, the night of the 16th.)

New rule: We're going to bimonthly. I'll post the next prompt sometime in the next few days. You'll have approximately 6 weeks to write. So until the Ides of March (the 15th).

Enter as many times as you'd like. People will have until the end of the month to vote. Winner gets bragging rights. And maybe a prize.

If you have any suggestions for prompts, please PM me. I could always use more ideas.

Voting has closed, and the winner is... LIESMITH! Congratulations on another win!
Participation has been low, both from authors and readers. I'm wondering whether people want to keep going. Is there interest in having another contest? If not, I'll close up shop. Fun while it lasted.

Stories and voting thread will be posted to The Writers Corner. (You can also find past stories there.)
► Show Spoiler
Entries and voting threads will be posted in the Fanfic subforum.

Latest winner is: LIESMITH

Past prompts:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by RocketScientist on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Reason: Updating, changing status
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: Monthly Fic Prompt Contest: August (Open for Entries)

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Do we just post the story here, or do we submit it to you via emial/PM?
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Via PM, if you please. That way, voting can be more impartial.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:16 pm

One week left to submit your entries! I've heard from a few people who are interested, but no one has actually submitted anything yet.

(And, of course, don't forget the rearrange the panels contest, too!)

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Okay, I have one entry so far. I'll be traveling this weekend. There are two days left until the deadline. I've heard from a few people who said they were thinking of writing something. Are people still interested? Should I extend the deadline?

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 am

Sorry, I've got an idea for it, but I think it may have been too ambitious. I'll try to have it done within the next 24 hours.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 am

I've got an idea, but no time to make a full story out of it. :(
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I don't know if you should extend the deadline. I'd like to say 'yes, do it' but there'd be no point if you'd get no more entries. Maybe we should take an interest/ability check of some kind? Like how many people have the interest and could do it if you extended the deadline. Up to you, Wears :)
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 pm

My posting the previous message was intended to be an interest check. And a couple of people have indeed posted here to say they'd like more time. And I'm going to be traveling this weekend anyway.

Right now I have four entries. But at least one notes that the author didn't have sufficient time to flesh things out.

So I'll extend the deadline to Wednesday the 21st, which still gives people 10 days to read and vote.

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Re: August Fic Prompt Contest: Deadline extended to the 21st

Post by Liesmith » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks, my brain will hopefully have an easier time after a day to rest away from work.

EDIT: Oh my, this is turning into a complete monstrosity of TL;DR. If I ever finish this thing, all I have to say is I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Re: Monthly Fic Prompt Contest: Aug voting open! Sept prompt

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am

Posting so watchers will see that the 1st post in this thread has been editited. The August story contest is in community/fan fic. Voting is open.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Posting so watchers will see that the 1st post in this thread has been editited. The August story contest is in community/fan fic. Voting is open.
Thanks TTW. :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Story 5 now posted. It was misfiled in the wrong folder and I forgot about it. I am very sorry.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks....
And could you please not use your mod powers to hide the last update time of your OP?
That way I can more easily see if you changed it.

Thanks.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:54 am

The September prompt looks hard. I don't think I can write romance.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:52 am

Krulle wrote:Thanks....
And could you please not use your mod powers to hide the last update time of your OP?
That way I can more easily see if you changed it.

Thanks.
That is not under my control. If I can remember to use the "reason for editing" box, maybe it would get the timestamp to reappear. But it's small and out of the way and very easy to forget. I'll try to keep it in mind.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks.
'cause we mortals don't have that checkbox at all....
BTW: you 're still writing "Read all four"

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks. Updated. And the reason for editing box did bring back the timestamp. Like I said, I'll try to remember it.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: Aug winner! Sept open!

Post by WearsHats » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

August contest is closed. Liesmith wins!

If you haven't already, please leave comments and feedback for the authors in their individual story threads.

September contest is now open for entries.

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Whooo! Thanks everyone who read the entries, and especially those who voted (for me or otherwise)!

I liked all the other entries, especially 5, but I didn't know if it was ok for me to vote in a contest in which I was also a participant.
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Liesmith wrote: but I didn't know if it was ok for me to vote in a contest in which I was also a participant.
We did in the previous contest. For me personaly, I figured I'd either vote for someone else or not vote at all.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I figured it was okay to vote for someone else (and liked their's more than mine anyway :) )

Sasayaki
Remains Silent

Post by Sasayaki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:28 am

I can't see the fanfic forum (insufficient posts), what's the topic for September so I can think about what I'll write?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:40 am

WearsHats wrote:
September Prompt wrote:The prompt for September is unlikely romances. Write a story featuring an unlikely pairing. You can be silly and crazy or entirely serious. Throw together an odd couple and let hijinks ensue, write the tragic story that brought two very different characters together, or anything in between. MinMax and Kin? That was pretty unlikely when the two first met, but Thunt made it work. What pairing will you give us? Start thinking. Entries will be accepted from Sept 1 - 17.
It's in the first post of this thread.

Sasayaki
Remains Silent

Post by Sasayaki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:40 pm

But I can't read. I'm illegitimate.

Thanks WearsHats. I'll get started right away!