GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Completed, please move)

For all games that are now over.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Turn 178)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:28 pm

"Yes, the Muddy Ones are the ones with blank eyes, and no, we're not expecting guests, which is why unless you are the most unlikely group of traders, I'd rather you just turn about and leave."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:12 am

"Well, we're not expecting anyone either, but there's still someone coming. Can't you hear that? Everyone ready just in case...don't think it's thralls, they don't usually talk."

All will shuffle back towards the source of the noise to see what she can see.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:56 am

Leaves arms himself with his daggers, and fights if approaching entities are hostile.
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:42 pm

"Well... was this what you were expecting?"
"No misses gnome, we are just trying to get rid of this vile magic being at work here. Turning people into mindless slaves and such. I did not expect anything, we just followed to road to check if we find something here, like we did when we found the witch Mother and her thralls. The guy that hired us didn't provide much info to my regret."
:zzz:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Turn 179)

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Caravan Route Under Threat! Turn 179

...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

One of the remaining mosquitoes flies into the canopy where it is promptly pounced on by a large spider. The goblins hear rustling as a pair of small spiders rush to the gnome's side and begin clacking their mouthparts in what seems to be a language none of the goblins understand.

"I see... thank you little one. You claim not to know anything about these visitors, but their arrival follows closely on your own."

All moves to join the minotaur and other companions as the tromp of boots gets louder while the gnome speaks.

As she finishes speaking, a flaming arrow punches through one of the mosquitoes snared in the web behind them and a moment later it goes up in flames, crisping the trapped mosquitoes and falling to ash in an instant. An approving grunt resounds up the trail as moments later a large band of human males comes into view. They are a rough looking bunch, of various sizes, but all similarly equipped in black garb, similar to the trio of thralls that goblins dispatched recently. At their front is a large man in black leather, the hilts of two swords protruding above the shoulders of his leather cuirass. A sneer twists a grim mouth above his black stubbled chin. Directly behind him are a swordsman with a black steel shield slung over one arm, a heavily muscled fellow carrying a mace and a lit torch, and a scowling man carrying a spear awkwardly in his hands. Farther back to his left is a lithe young man with a smile that doesn't reach his eyes, his movements are graceful and flowing and while he seems to wear no armor, a rapier is slung at his side and he holds a lit torch in his hand. Behind him is another spearman, though this ones movements indicating a lifetime of soldiering, while the other man carrying a spear is likely more used to a hayfork than an implement of war. In the rear are a pair of archers, one more thoroughly equipped than the other, both with bows strung and arrows nocked. Towering above them all is a hulking brute of a man, possibly of mixed non-human ancestry. He wears black breeches similar to the others, albeit larger, but no shirt or armor, just dark wiry hair. The brute is nearly the size of Mantagar, and carries a massive iron bound club over one shoulder.

Leaves catches a bit of movement and is able to pick out a skulking figure at the back of the group, wrapped in a black cloak.

The last mosquito hones in on the new prey and flies towards the sneering leader. He reaches up, pulls one of his swords free of its sheath and the well used blade shears easily through the insect. He snorts and hawks a glob of phlegm onto the dead insect.

He speaks up in a gravelly voice, "Well, you lot must be the gobs that Moric said he'd hired... dinnit say nothin' about no cowman though."

Mantagar visibly bristles at the slur.

"Was figurin' you'd at least have done something by now... if not killed somma them spiders, at least filled a few of their bellies."

A few of his men chuckle behind him.

"Instead, you look to have gotten in a fight with some of ours that the shiny bitch took and got trapped in the web with a bunch of bloodsuckers. Moric ain't gonna be too happy you dinnit do the job, but I guess that's why you can't send a bunch of gobs to do a man's work."

All of his men join in on the laughter, except the big brute... and the shadowy figure that only Leaves has thus far noticed.

"Go on, git out of here so we can finish the job and get paid... unless you think you can still earn your... pouch of gold."

The nimble looking youth laughs a hollow laugh devoid of any real mirth.

It is only then that the goblins realize that the gnome and her spiders have vanished back into the canopy, leaving them alone on the trail with a squad of well armed human henchmen.

Leaves is feeling somewhat less drained than he had before. [Leaves to 4/5 HP] ((There is no outwardly visible sign of this though, so Mines doesn't know that Leaves would benefit from healing yet.))

Costa and the pup reach the stream and veer off the trail to begin splashing upstream in search of a clay deposit.

► Show Spoiler
BATTLEMAP

.[tabs:Costa]
Player: Asks
Color:#005500
HP: 4/5
ATT: 1
DEF: 1

Mudhoney Curse - if he drinks or touches mudhoney he will turn into a badger until the curse is removed.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[tabs: Remedy]
Player: Nerre
Color:#00FF00
HP: 5/5
ATT: 2
DEF: 2
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

[tabs: First-of-All ]
Player: Nikohl
Color:#008080
HP: 6/6
ATT: 4
DEF: 3/3 (+1 conditional from Buckler)

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[tabs: Leaves No Trace]
Player: Synch
Color: #747474
HP:4/5
ATT: 3/2
DEF: 2 (+1 conditional)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[tabs: Steals]
Player: Theis2
Color:#8000FF
ATT: 3 (% chance for burn damage)
DEF: 4 (75% for additional +1)

Mudhoney Blessing: Slight Blink: can be activated once per adventure, for 10 consecutive rounds, has a 10% chance for attacks by and against to miss.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Mines Flagons]
Player: WearsHats
Color:#4080FF
DEF: 2 (75% for +1)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[/tabs]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 pm

All hits the talking man in the face with Echo. It's almost as if she's channeling the annoyance of someone else, someone who is far less patient and friendly than she.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:00 pm

((I vote for Mines to join the rest of us.))

BEFORE All hits the man in the face, Leaves quickly scrawls a message in the dirt for Mines to relay the spiders.

Code: Select all

IF WE PROTECT YOU FROM THESE THUGS, WILL YOU MOVE YOUR WEBS ABOVE THE PATH TO KEEP IT CLEAR? IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO, WE CAN LEAVE YOU TO DEAL WITH THEM. THEY HAVE FIRE.
((I vote Mines reads the messages and relays the first to the lead spider.))

If Spiders reply in the negative, then Leaves scratches away again:

IF YOU WON'T MOVE THEN HELP US PROTECT YOU!
He quickly scrawls a final message to the other goblins:

ASSASSIN IN THE REAR. I'LL TAKE HIM.
Once combat begins, Leaves darts off to the side, looking for a way around the other thugs and ensuing melee while focussing on the assassin and archers. He will strike at the assassin or archers if he has an opportunity.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:11 pm

((Not sure I've done a good enough job conveying it, but this is the otherside if the mostly abandoned trail that went to Mantagar's. The spiders and gnome have set up father on, and have no inclination to allow easier travel into their home.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

((I'm trying to negotiate with the gnome and spiders. Surely they don't want these bandits burning them out?

Are we not supposed to be clearing the trail now? Are we leaving the spiders alone and bugging out? Or are we still continuing with the original mission for gold? Was it all a ruse so we'd get tangled and eaten? I'm so confused!))
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:15 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:45 pm

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:19 am

(Read the note that All was waving around - the trader sent us here to kill the spiders -for mother-, and there's strong hints that Mantagar was Mother/Moric's next target, probably via another merc group like this one...)

[Edited in link to update containing note for easy reference, as it was tens of pages back.]

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:48 am

Steals joins the others in stabbing of the newcomers. Hopefully they got paid some up front.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Remedy runs to the new fight, using her shield to shield herself and others, swinging her sword if possible.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Turn 180)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Caravan Route Under Threat! Turn 180

Costa finds a bed of clay and a flat rock and begins scooping it into his bucket. He gets about halfway full as the pup splashes in the water.

...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Leaves catches Mines eye and gestures with a flurry of hand motions and expressions that seem to get his point across.

Mines pitches his voice to hopefully reach the gnome and not the band of humans before them.

"We can protect you if you promise to move your webs! Otherwise they will likely burn you out!"

"We won't move our webs, no one uses this old trail but us, and they are our means of food and defense!"

"Then at least help us help you!"

He is answered by silence. Mines shrugs at Leaves, uncertain whether his plea moved the gnome or not.

"Oi, what are you lot jawin' abou..." *THWACK*

He breaks off mid sentence as All strides forward and clobbers him across the face, the runes on her gloves flashing.

He spits a bit of blood and a tooth and wipes the back of his hand across his mouth. "Oh, you're gonna regret that."

The less trained spearman steps forward and jabs at All, but her armor easily turns the point from her flesh.

Mines considers rushing to their aid, but instead implores the gnome and her spiders to join them as a fight with the humans now seems unavoidable. He stands ready to heal on of his companions should they need it.

"IRONHORN!", Mantagar grips his forging hammer and bellows as he charges forward past the goblins, hooves pounding the trail, lowering his head at the last moment as he slams into the human leader, knocking the swordsman and maceman behind him to the ground. A wet crunch reverberates as the man's armor fails to prevent the minotaur's charge from cracking a rib or two, and the tip of Mantagar's right horn catches just above his hip and tears into his abdomen. The minotaur stands upright, lifting the human leader still impaled on one horn, who flails awkwardly before being tossed off to land heavily on the ground between the minotaur and the goblins. He lets out sucking gasps as he scrabbles on the forest floor in an attempt to regain his breath.

Before Leaves gets a chance to go after the sneaky, assassin type, the hooded figure melts into the undergrowth.

The swordsman who had been knocked down by the bullrush gets back to his feet. "Kill him!", he shrieks, and levels a swing at the blacksmith who twists away, the blow glancing harmlessly across an apron draped thigh.

The better equipped archer steps back slightly and sights down the arrow nocked in his curved hornbow and casually looses it at Leaves, the arrow skipping off his armor to punch through the meaty part of his shoulder. [Leaves -1 to 3/5 HP]

The smiling young man with the rapier tosses his torch where it lands against the large orb web, engulfing it in quick burning flame that leaves nothing behind but drifting ash. He chuckles softly as he pulls free his rapier, darts forward and jabs it into Mantagar's side before leaping backward. The minotaur didn't see the attack coming and bellows in pain as blood wells from the puncture wound.

The huge brute of a man stomps forward over his mace-wielding companion, shrugging his huge club from his shoulders and raising it for an overhand strike on the minotaur. The club whistles down, striking the minotaur across the shoulders and driving him to one knee. The goblins can feel the reverberations of the blow passing under their feet. Their friend is gasping in pain, but manages to regain his footing, but he won't be able to take a beating like this forever....

A shadow passes over Remedy and Mines as the huge spider carrying the gnome on its back drops lightly to the trail in front of them. The gnome rolls to her left and drops the the ground in a crouch.

"Go have fun, my friend. Humans only... unless the goblins play us false.", she looks towards Mines with an unreadable expression.

Her mount moves around Steals and hones in on the swordsman, whose back is currently to it as he is facing the minotaur. The huge spider pounces, but her fangs slide off his scalemail without finding flesh.

The gnome raises the tube to her mouth and puffs forth a blast of air. A flicker streaks between her and the swordsman her mount is facing off against and as it reaches him, his arms go limp and he begins making awkward panicked sounds.

More spiders emerge from the undergrowth and begin attacking the humans... who are justifiably unnerved by the whole situation.

A small spider leaps towards the dancing swordsman who easily sidesteps it, the smile never leaving his face.

A medium sized spider leaps from a tree, landing on and biting through the coarse hair covering the lower back of the hulking brute of a man. His legs turn to water and he slumps to a seated position, a look of confusion plastered across his face.

Another small spider drops onto the novice spearman, eliciting a cry of surprise as it slides down his conical helmet, but the spider isn't able to get a bite in on him.

A medium spider emerges and attacks the still prone maceman, but despite his panicked grunting, it isn't able to get past his chainmail.

Small spiders attack the elite archer and the prone and gasping leader. While the archer is able to fend off the arachnid, the leader didn't even see it coming and is bit on his heel, his legs going limp as he continues to scrabble and gasp for air.

A second medium spider drops onto the hulking brute and bites him at the base of the neck, his arms going limp and his huge club thumping to the ground. He looks really confused.

The elite archer is attacked by another small spider, but manages to avoid this one as well.

A large spider, somewhat smaller than the one the gnome was riding, joins the huge spider in attacking the swordsman. As the fangs sink into his neck and the spider begins pumping venom into his body, terror climbs into his eyes as his entire body is washed under a wave a paralysis.

The archer steps to the side and looses an arrow that slams into the small spider attacking the smiling youth, momentarily pinning it to the ground before it pulls itself free once again.

The elite spearmen steps forward and finishes the spider off, nodding to the smiling man.

A medium spider descends on a line and begins wrapping silk around the paralyzed swordsman, the panic rising in his eyes until they are covered in grey silk.

Leaves ducks around the side of the battle, making it the the elite archer, where he quickly slams both daggers into his foe, blood pouring from the wound me made with his offhand strike.

Another small spider finds it easy to bite the leader on his neck, and his arms go limp. It is soon joined by another small spider that starts working on wrapping him in silk, but it is slower going than for the bigger spider.

A spider leaps towards the smiling swordsman, but he again nimbly dodges its attack.

Remedy dashes forward and levels a chopping cut at the spearman, her gladius sinking into the flesh of his thigh and arcing a crimson gout as she pulls it free.

Steals moves to attack the spearman as well, his Burning Blade surging with heat as it sizzles into the man's flesh.

A small spider bites the hulking brute.

The maceman struggles back to his feet and lands a solid blow on the spider that had attacked him.

A small spider drops on the elite archer and bites his shoulder, his bow going loose in his hand as he looses control of his arms.

Mines fires up his healing hat, but without a line of sight to Leaves, instead gives the minotaur a boost.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
BATTLEMAP

Mudhoney Curse - if he drinks or touches mudhoney he will turn into a badger until the curse is removed.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

HP: 6/6
ATT: 4
DEF: 3/3 (+1 conditional from Buckler)

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
HP:3/5
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:40 pm

All swaps her clobberin' mace for the more stylish and tactical Creepy Stick, and swings it at the nimble fellow in an attempt to affect him with the resulting cloud of bamboozlement powder.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Turn 180.7)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Caravan Route Under Threat! Turn 180.7

Costa fills the bucket with clay and turns to head back to the forge when the pup dashes past, knocking his legs out from under him. He sits down with a splash in the cold water and is immediately subjected to frenzied licking. He can't help but laugh, despite being soaked.

All switches to Mother's Creepy Stick, ducks past Mantagar and swings at the smiling swordsman... who shifts enough that the twisted wood swings right past him. His unsettling grin settles on All.

The bleeding spearman stabs at Remedy, but she's able to catch it on her shield.

Mantagar turns to the maceman and deals him a punishing blow with his forging hammer, nearly knocking the man off his feet.

The leader moans as first the Echo effect takes hold and as he continues to bleed from getting gored.

A dark figure steps out of the shadows and drives a dirk into a gap between Mines's armor. He feels a wash of feverish heat creep up his face and his limbs feel itchy. [Mines -1 to 4/5 HP]

As blood continues to seep from his wounds, the elite archer turns to Leaves and attempts to shoot him at close range in an act of desperation. He gets the shot off, and it sinks into the goblin's thigh. [Leaves -1 to 2/5 HP]

The smiling swordsman dances in and lightly pricks All on the forearm, almost playing with her. [All -1 to 5/6 HP]

The hulking brute twitches as if trying to get back up, but doesn't manage to regain his footing.

The huge spider nudges the small ones out of the way and begins spinning a wrap of silk around the head henchman, who finally seems to have regained his ability to breath, though not in time to defend himself.

The gnome turns and runs towards Mines and the stealthy human, shaking out a spidersilk net that she tosses in a sweeping motion towards the human... but it sails a bit wide and lands in the dust of the trail.

One of the medium spiders begins wrapping silk around the hulking brute, but it's tough going. There's just so much of him.

A small spider fails to bite the spearman.

A medium spider bites the maceman, this time the venom taking hold and his legs crumpling beneath him.

One of the small spiders tries to bite the elite archer, but doesn't manage to get past his defenses.

Another of the small spiders goes for the spearman, but has no better luck.

The second medium spider attacking the brute switches to silk wrapping as well, and between the two of them, they have his bulk neatly swaddled.

Another small spider attacks the elite archer, but is fended off.

The large spider attacks the smiling swordsman, but he's not fast enough this time, the fangs sinking easily through his silk shirt and venom coursing into his body. As his arms go limp, his smile falters for the first time.

The archer looses an arrow at the large spider, but it careens of the exoskeleton and flies into the forest.

The elite spearmen settles his conical helmet on his head and charges the large spider, jabbing his barbed spear into its side.

A medium spider moves in an attacks the smiling man, who despite having paralyzed arms, still manages to evade its attack.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
BATTLEMAP

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

HP: 5/6
DEF: 3 (+1 conditional from Buckler)

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
HP:2/5
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Leaves breaks from combat with the Elite Archer and sprints back to Mines, realising he desperately needs healing and hoping the spiders will the distract the archer enough to make his escape. Seeing the shadowy figure attacking Mines, Leaves pounds his chest with one fist in Mines' line of sight to indicate he is in need of healing then leaps into the fray with the assassin and attempts to stab them in the back in the kidney region.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Turn 180.8)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Caravan Route Under Threat! Turn 180.8

Leaves ducks away from the archer and skirts the fight, headed back to his healer. As he approaches, he sees the skulking assassin type and redoubles his speed, tapping his chest to indicate he'd like healing. As he gets close, he whips both of his daggers forward and plunges them into the man's back. One of them must have nicked a blood vessel, as a spurt gushes forth as he withdraws his blades.

One of the small spiders that had been brushed off the leader when the huge spider began wrapping him moves over and bites the spearman.

Another of the small spiders moves in to bite him as well, and the spearman slumps to the ground unconscious.

Yet another moves in and bites the formerly smiling man.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
BATTLEMAP

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

HP: 5/6
DEF: 3 (+1 conditional from Buckler)

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
HP:2/5
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:01 am

Seeing as no one targets him, Steals decides to go all out on the closest combatant, stabbing and bashing the opponent with both sword and shield.

In case I fail at reading just stick to the stabbing :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 am

In case it rolls back round to me before I next check in: All relieves the less-smiling man of his weapon while he's all paralysed and wobbly, and stabs him with it since hitting him with her stick is less optimal.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Remedy tries to run to help Leaves and cover him with her shield. If possible she will cut the legs of the hulking brute on her way south, as he seems distracted by all the spiders attacking him and this might help the spiders wrapping him fully up.