Find a Book Thread

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Find a Book Thread

Post by SamWiser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 pm

There were a few of these threads on the old forum, anytime people wanted help to find an old book or story they read So instead of people starting a bunch of unnecessary threads, I figured we could make a thread just for help finding books.

I'll start out with what will probably be an easy one. I think it's a short story by Ray Bradbury, but I can't remember the title. The plot is about a mental patient who destroyed all the technology in his life (starting with his wristwatch/phone/mp3 player), and because of that was committed. Any help would be appreciated. I really liked the story, but I can't remember the name of the story no matter how hard I try.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: Find a Book Thread

Post by Wolfie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:41 am

"The Murderer" by Ray Bradbury
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Thank you very much.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm

SamWiser wrote:Thank you very much.
You're very welcome. My personal favorite of his is "There Will Come Soft Rains". It always was one to make me go "hmm".
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Man, that was depressing. Really sad.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:38 pm

SamWiser wrote:Man, that was depressing. Really sad.
Did you just read it?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah, I did. Ray Bradbury is a great author. No actual characters, but still one of the sadder things I have ever read.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 am

Still makes you go "hmm" though. I love his work. "A Sound of Thunder" is another good one of his. He had a habit of putting really important information in an easily overlooked sentence. Awesome author.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Blip - I really only hang out in game forum and sometimes forget that the rest of this exists..but i've been bored. Upon finding this, i have a request.

2 books that i have been looking for that i read many years ago but am now unable to find.

1st book:
sci-fi/fantasy
The book was about miniaturization essentially. The story follows two friends who, through the use of something quite similar to the matrix movies "neck port", could port into small (~1" tall) robots. The story starts with a focus around the main characters backyard, in which, porting into the robots, the friends play around, have fun, slay grasshoppers and such. Also, within the first few pages of the book there is an assassination. Which "bad guy" uses tiny robot to kill a man while he is driving, the two friends then use tiny robots to save the world.
Title: no clue, except I think it was ____'s Backyard or something along that line.

2nd Book:
sci-fi/fantasy
This book starts out with a young boy ~10-15 years old and the world is explained that there are these warring factions in this general location of the world. Each faction/tribe contains only children of appx. that age range. There is one older adult who either takes care of them or maybe travels around between the tribes to essentially take care of them. In the land where they live, there are certain "forbidden zones" in which the children are told (by the adult) that they shall not go to, punishment of which is typically death. The main character chooses to ignore this advice and explores it anyways.

By the end of the book you find out that the world as we know it had faced some kind of crisis and thus created a habitat in which children were raised without modern day technology and could develop on their own in a nomadic/tribal lifestyle. A group of scientists live on a submarine ~ 100 miles off the coast where the story is taking place and monitor everything that is happening....which is basically, a huge experiment.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:07 pm

I can't help you, sorry. Google turns up nothing for the first book, and I don't even know where to start with the second. Hope you can find them though.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 am

No worries, I actually found a website that excels in finding books.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Great! I found that site when I was looking for a book one time, but I lost it, and couldn't find it again. I'm happy you found it because it seems like a great recourse.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Alright, this one is a long-shot, but I'll try it anyway.

I remember a book series that came out when I was in middle school, so around 8 years ago. I think it was a translation of a Japanese series, so it might have come out earlier there.

I don't remember much about the plot of the books other than it involves the hero, a young boy, to face various monsters and bad guys in each book. He also got several magical gadgets in each one. I remember him getting jelly beans that granted a different power with each color, and a toy bullhorn that allowed the user to throw his voice so it seems that somebody else was talking.

I want to check out these books again, so if any of this seems familiar please tell me. No lead is too small.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett