Age Verification

All announcements will be posted here. This is where you should go to report problems and make suggestions.

Re: Age Verification

Postby Slicer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

COPPA applies to the collection of personal information. If you edit the code to make the e-mail address optional and tell kids not to give you any personal information whatsoever, you are no longer considered an "operator" under 1302(2)(a).
Slicer
Remains Silent
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Age Verification

Postby Generic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

lingrem wrote:I think it's a great step.

Of course, even knowing this was coming, I spent about 4 minutes getting mad at the webpage becaus I thought it wasn't sending me to the forum index. Took me that long to realize that oh, that red message was actually something I should read and pay attention to! *facepalm*


No need to facepalm for that. Your brain work like it's supposed to. It's called banner blindness.
Det är mera än låtsas och leka, för du kan vara alldeles viss
om att riktiga rosor är bleka, mot en handmålad rosenkuliss.

-Tove Jansson

Crappy translation for those wondering
It's more than pretend and play, you can be totally sure, that real roses are pale, next to a hand painted rose coulisse.
User avatar
Generic
Of Few Words
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Age Verification

Postby M0rtimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 am

Slicer wrote:I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

COPPA applies to the collection of personal information. If you edit the code to make the e-mail address optional and tell kids not to give you any personal information whatsoever, you are no longer considered an "operator" under 1302(2)(a).


I was under the impression that ANY personal data collected was against COPPA regulations. Which would be quite a nightmare to manage if that was, as every "post" he would make would be stored.
User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10050
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: Age Verification

Postby SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 am

M0rtimer wrote:
Slicer wrote:I just wanted to register to tell you that there's another legal way out of this.

COPPA applies to the collection of personal information. If you edit the code to make the e-mail address optional and tell kids not to give you any personal information whatsoever, you are no longer considered an "operator" under 1302(2)(a).


I was under the impression that ANY personal data collected was against COPPA regulations. Which would be quite a nightmare to manage if that was, as every "post" he would make would be stored.


^---This. Additionally not requiring an email address for verification will dramatically increase the number of spammers we get. Age verification is really the best option and we will be sticking to it.
Image
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com
User avatar
SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 pm
Location: Maryland (DC Area)

Re: Age Verification

Postby askstoomuch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 am

this is probably a bad time to confess I"m actually 9...
User avatar
askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Re: Age Verification

Postby lingrem » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 pm

askstoomuch wrote:this is probably a bad time to confess I"m actually 9...


That explains a lot, actually.....
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!
User avatar
lingrem
Former Mod
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am
Location: North of the Middle of Nowhere.

Re: Age Verification

Postby Krulle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 am

A request: Since the 20th of March has passed, can we please have the red warning banner on top removed?

Thank you.

Edit: I just noticed that it's not visible on all pages anymore, but it's still visible in the sub-forums Goblins Discussion, Communities, Forum Games, Conrtoversy!, and Hidden, as well as in the threats of these sub-forums.
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6620
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Previous

Return to Important Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest