Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.

Moderator: Games Moderators

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Postby Quarg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Scowling and giving hugs are what Arg'ak's best at! The intro background sounds good to me, I would be interested in what knowing what his other teammates were like though.

Other pit fighters...I'm not sure how 'close' he was to them or not...but they likely had some 8 in the wisdom slot and were likely smaller humans, half-orcs and hobgoblins...

None of them knew much about Melee because they were hired by someone who obviously screwed the pooch on a good number of things...and Arg'ak is likely fairly wise as pit fighters go...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby Amara » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I keep getting distracted by other things needing my attention, or by my fiance persuading me to play Don't Starve Together with him. End result is we mean to spend an hour playing and then suddenly, "wait, it's 4 AM? Oh dear."

The bit of back story sounds good. I certainly don't see anything out of place.
In the least I'll be putting gold toward a nice repeating crossbow. Still need to figure out enchantments proper. Definitely going full crossbow inquisitor. Once I've figured out full cost, I'll sling my remaining dosh toward the gear I need. It's best I handle the really expensive things first, since I have a habit of winding up with lots of useful but situational items. I once wound up with 500 feet of elven rope by accident. It did come in handy, however.
I'm curious if you'd be willing to let me snag one of Complete Scoundrel's crossbow bayonet's, since Pathfinder handles bayonets...really strangely. (No, really, why does the Pathfinder bayonet render the weapon it is attached to unable to fire? Why the hell does it go in the muzzle? That is not how a bayonet works. )
Complete Scoundrel, p109 wrote:A bayonet does not interfere with the normal functioning of the weapon to which it is fixed, so it can remain attached indefinitely . Bayonets act in all ways like normal melee weapons, as noted in their descriptions, and can be made masterwork or magic (separately from any masterwork or magic property of the main weapon) .Attaching or removing a bayonet requires a move action. Attacking with a bayonet imposes a –2 penalty on the attack roll .

Crossbow Bayonet: Bayonets easily fit onto light or heavy crossbows, attaching to the stock below where the bolt fires. Crossbow bayonets come in two kinds: knife and sword. A knife bayonet attached to a crossbow functions as a shortspear, while a sword bayonet attached to a crossbow is treated as a spear .A crossbow with an attached bayonet cannot be thrown as a true spear can be, though it can be set against a charge .
Crossbow bayonet, knife 2GP, 1lb
Crossbow bayonet, sword 4GP, 2lb

vs

Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide wrote: Bayonet
Bayonets are close combat weapons designed to fit into the grooves or muzzles of crossbows and firearms.
Benefit: Bayonets allow you to make melee attacks with these weapons but render them temporarily useless as ranged weapons.
Attach/Remove: Attaching or removing a bayonet is a move action.
Bayonet 5GP 1d6(M) x2 Critical 1LB
X
Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Postby Tea » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:13 am

Pre-drafts....it,...would almost work. I was going for the relations with the rest of her kin are a bit strained (Things were going quite well until she up and took up adventuring on them without so much as a word about it beforehand. She tends to try to keep them at arm's length and I'm pretty sure they're just hoping that after a few years she'll get tired, come to her senses, come back, and settle down.) Then again, perhaps she had been particularly fond of this uncle (or he of her), so if she answers to anyone's doorstep, she owes him that it would be his. So, she will conceivable hear him out. She'll buy it, at least until the point he starts steering the conversation to his commercial woes. "I'm sorry, dear uncle, we're kin, but whether you find a way to keep your feet in shifting sands or let yourself be buried beneath them is tied to your fate, not mine."

It was just so so close to working, it would be a shame to waste it, and she really only needed a little more prompting to get involved, so...I attempted to see what exactly was driving her off...and ended up with this:
[spoil]It is said that amongst the Clans of the Redland Shore that there are three answers to any request, the answer of the Master Trader, the answer of the Hearth Keeper, and the answer of the Lore Speaker. But one can never question when all three speak with one voice.

Aajej herself faced the words of all three when the letter arrived [reached her, she's been moving around a lot, but there's probably a couple of places she keeps coming back to and where mail will actually get to her. Or, if they're really determined, she probably isn't that hard to track down in person and shove the letter in her face. (pretty much the only things she's done to put distance between her and the clan was hit the roads and start going by a different last name, so she shouldn't be that hard to track if they really need her)], for it was not signed with the glyph of one of the clan elders but all three linked.

[er,...she's been ignoring most mail from her family, but this one seems important enough to read and spare the turning it into a small pile of ashes. (may show signs of being crumpled into a ball and almost thrown in the fire though)]

But the letter showed why they spoke with one voice. For the price of fire oil, a staple of Redlands, had quintupled in price. For the last eighty years Aajej’s uncle had purchased cheap fire oil in the markets of Nevadia and shipped it to the family who sold it far cheaper than anyone could harvest the wild berries that grew in small wet places along the coast. The cheap prices had allowed even the poorest of families to light their home at night, and to cook their food every day. It had lowered the price of salt, and the price of salted fish. Only the cooks found it rather bland to favor food, but the wild oil was still available for such a task. No, the clan would face problems if the oil price stayed so high for most would assume that the Clan was gouging their pockets.

[She's pretty much gotten out of the Clan's merchant business (her adventures allowing, she might pick up something to sell on the side, and she still tries to keep an eye on the markets), but this news doesn't bode well and it seems like there is more here at work than just a matter of one of the clan's endeavors failing.]

Aajej [very tentativly, curiosity can still get the better of her] found herself in the entry of her uncle’s house as the sun began to fade.[if she does respond by showing up, she'll wait until she hears of things getting pretty bad back home . It also just so happens to be the one uncle she still gets along with (her version of the relationships with the rest of her family she believes are not so good)] Young men, dressed in garments to impress, sat around the ornately tiled entry hall. [oh dear, and all I have is that explorer's outfit. Lovely way to make a good first impression, show up late and shabby.] A tall kitsune lorded over the inner door to the house beyond. Aajej presented herself, measuring the kitsune’s response. The kitsune vanished beyond an iron grill with only a polite nod. A moment later Aajej finds herself being led into a courtyard with a fountain of marble and small fruit trees. The kitsune shows her to a small table under a well lit arbor where a servant girl sets out tea. “Your uncle shall be here shortly mad’am” is all the kitsune says before vanishing into the darkness of the house.

Simoom finds himself provided with a small stool and a silk cushion as a servant girl provides some meat from the kitchen to Aajej to feed him. [you're enjoying this way too much, aren't you Simoom?]

<Ah, greetings daughter of my sister by her first husband> The tall man who looks like Aajej’s mother greets her as he appears in a doorway. <Blessing of a cool wind to my most beloved kin> he continues in their ancient mother tongue.

<Greetings third son of my mother’s mother, and blessings of a cool spring to my kin> Aajej repeats in the traditional manner.
<Yes, and how is thy mother?> her uncle asks in elvish as he sits down and begins to follow the proscribed motions of an ‘informal tea’. Aajej notes the traditional beginning of the traditional manner that business is conducted in trading tents of the caravan; where an hour or more can be spent in trying to gauge the other though oblique questions and answers. She decides to cut through to the matter.

[<I think, you would know that better than I, yes? dear uncle. Why am I summoned?>]

[s]“Uncle, I am here because the clan demands that you drop the price of fire oil that you quote, such a price for fire oil will ruin the clan.”[/s] [She presented the letter to his attendant when she arrived. He knows why that it's the reason she showed up and is probably more informed than she is (it is his part of the business, after all). However, it does shift very nicely into the uncle's speech.]

“And you are your mother’s daughter…but I take no offense. [As you have been informed, the clan has demanded that I drop the price of fire oil, but I quote such a price for fire oil will ruin the clan. Alas,] The Master Trader has ignored my explanations because she listens too much to our cousin Vaidiar who has never sold a camel without giving away a horse. He thinks that success lies by taking my place here.” Noting Aajej’s frown at getting into inter-clan politics her uncle continues in common. “Bah, I see you turn from the politics of the clan like your father did. But the situation is quite clear. The Emperor of the Dragon Throne has placed a tariff upon the sales of fire oil such that for each barrel sold the emperor shall have six barrels of gunpowder. You see my niece, an alchemist has figured out how to make a jelly from fire oil that burns so hot it can melt steel and cannot be put out with water. An Orc warlord with pretension of grandeur…one who has long who has waged war on the Dragon Throne, is rumored to have stolen this recipe. And so we find ourselves being caught in a battle between an upstart human King and an upstart Orc warlord.”

["We, uncle?"]

["The Clan—yes we, or do you think you are so far removed from us that you would see your own kin reduced to begging in the streets for their next meal?"]

“And there is no other source of fire oil than by the grace of the Dragon Throne?” Aajej asks.

“Bah, no all the distillers of fire oil are there for they have great plantations of the bushes. But we are not the emperor’s enemy and so I have attempted to yet rid ourselves of paying for their next war. I had negotiated with the Emperor’s Ambassador here in the isles and found he was receptive to providing me a warrant to buy the oil directly from the distillers, with no tariff by guaranteeing that every ounce I bought would go for sale along the coast. But the Emperor’s man became deathly ill and my suit has been ignored since. Perhaps if I did not have business every day to attend to here I might stake out his hall til he either signs the warrant or gives me reason be gone.” Her uncle shrugs and sips some tea.

[Aajej was about to retort, but]

Then her uncle smiled at her, “But perhaps I can send you. He has retired to somewhere on a nearby island outside the city. Perhaps if you tracked him down and push our suit he will stop ignoring us….”

[There was no way to politely decline.]

Which is how Aajej and Simoom found themselves in the small cabin of the morning boat to Mercia Island.[/spoil]Of course, now she's not exactly happy about being coerced, but she'll have agreed to go and going back on her word isn't exactly an option she's willing to take, so now she's regretting agreeing because she isn't sure if she's going to be able to safely walk out of this particular quagmire again but seeing as she's headed in, she'll just have to wait it out and see if she make it to walking out again, and if not, she'll either find a way to keep her feet or she won't. Better to just get this task done with and hope for making a quick retreat.

Alternately, she'll gladly just go hop on a boat if she's tasked with a non-clan message to track down and deliver to someone in the isles (she's hired herself out as a messenger— although, as an adventurer, she won't turn down other tasks (this fits nicely with actually having been the last five levels of her life)—since it's a good way to keep moving around in her attempt to keep away from the clan and to get to see more of the world).
Tea
Is Heard Often

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:40 am

Tea,
No problems that was the kind of editing I was sort of hoping for :)...the uncle is the other 'black sheep' of the family really...
though how the Ambassador is going to get her assistance we'll have to work out.

Amara,
The invention of the modern bayonet is one of those things we as modern inviduals look at and go *Duh*
But the entire thirty years war 1618–1648 was fought with both pikemen and muskets working in tandem...
so yeah the original bayonets actually stuck in the muzzle itself making it rather useless to shoot.
But then the Scots invented the socket Bayonet...

And that crossbow bayonet description was make by someone who's never really looked at using a 17th centruy crossbow...or how to fight with a spear...

This is not a no...just me trying to be mechanically valid in my head *hmm*

edit: And I shall offer thee...

Naval Crossbow
Naval Crossbows were once the weapon of choice for those detailed to fight from the tops of sailing vessels or the decks of galleys. Made of either Darkwood or Redwood they are quite light with a five round magazine for heavy bolts. Most importantly they can be used as a pixaxe in a melee fight due to reinforced blade tip of enchanted metal at one end of the bow and a broader 'axe' end on the other as well as a special handle near the but allowing for the user to easily swing the weapon.

Damage - Ranged 2d8+1 / Melee 1d6 - Wt 12 pounds - Restrictions on use of repeating crossbow, Dex bonus in Melee for those with Martial Weapon Feat...
Cost: Start at 2800 for +1 version
Last edited by Quarg on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:08 am

Rather than be a bayonet as such, which are fairly interchangeable, would it be easier to have it be a design feature of this particular crossbow, in that there is a blade mounted to the underside of the stock?
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.

games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Postby Amara » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 am

If it's a problem setting-wise to have more advanced bayonets, I can just get the crossbow made out of a more durable material so it'll withstand being bashed against someone's skull, in addition to enchanting it. Wanting a bayonet in the first place is arguably more for "cool factor" than it is for gatting the piercing damage rather than bludgeoning, anyway. :b

I'm looking at going heavy repeating crossbow and speccing 100% in to ranged combat with him (already have point blank shot and rapid reload, and plan on getting rapid shot and crossbow mastery), so I'd rather not drop the 1d10 that going normal heavy crossbow gets me, since I'm probably going to go with a damage enchantment as well (shock, probably.) The reason I inquired about the old 3e bayonet setup was less about the idea of getting spear damage out of it (which is rather silly,) and more that it's just treated as a double weapon, so I could pay to get it enchanted separately--which I'm ok with. I suppose I could get the "oh god something actually got to me weapon effect just as easily by going blade boot, or something.
Ooh that would actually be fun. Nope, totally have no melee weapons...except you now have no shins. Though that invokes two-weapon fighting rules as it's classed as an off-hand weapon, rather than having a set penalty.

I'll think on it, but it will probably be better that I stick with a bog standard heavy crossbow and forgo having the ability to attack normally in melee or just have a backup weapon as per standard.
Half the fun of an inquisitor to me is getting to play an angry, divine ungodly conglomeration of rogue, bard, and ranger that pulls weapons from weird places.
Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:17 am

Just to clarify, is Arg's employment with Mr. Val just to work off the promoters debts, or is he actually getting paid to be a scowling tower of muscle? I assume he's been working for him more than a couple weeks but less than the 6months hard labor the other pit fighters got?

(Just realized there is a pit fighter prestige class. Not really in his skill set as it is performance based to use CHA to win over crowds.)
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

games I play

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

Amara wrote:If it's a problem setting-wise to have more advanced bayonets, I can just get the crossbow made out of a more durable material so it'll withstand being bashed against someone's skull, in addition to enchanting it. Wanting a bayonet in the first place is arguably more for "cool factor" than it is for gatting the piercing damage rather than bludgeoning, anyway. :b

Not for where it makes sense...you do realize RL most heavy crossbows have a sturup on the end for restringing the bow?

Which is why I made the offer of crossing it with a pixaxe...realize a bayonet at the end of a crossbow when you have to sometimes stick the front on the ground makes no sense...but the ends of the bow make such a nice pixaxe to hit someone with and pierce their poor puny skull.

I'm looking at going heavy repeating crossbow and speccing 100% in to ranged combat with him (already have point blank shot and rapid reload, and plan on getting rapid shot and crossbow mastery), so I'd rather not drop the 1d10 that going normal heavy crossbow gets me, since I'm probably going to go with a damage enchantment as well (shock, probably.)

versus 2d8 (not a typo there 2-16 damage versus 1-10...) because it is a large crossbow that is half the normal weight made out of a strong/light material so it can do some damage being swung around the place. And hell I'd give a discount on a Military (such as fire) type upgrade.

The reason I inquired about the old 3e bayonet setup was less about the idea of getting spear damage out of it (which is rather silly,) and more that it's just treated as a double weapon, so I could pay to get it enchanted separately--which I'm ok with. I suppose I could get the "oh god something actually got to me weapon effect just as easily by going blade boot, or something.

Why I integrated a pixaxe with the crossbow with the pixaxe is it made more physical sense and the cost was more the magic required to have the damn thing self restring. A repeating crossbow in my world is magical and magic costs money...sorry the engineer in me is being pissy...

I'll think on it, but it will probably be better that I stick with a bog standard heavy crossbow and forgo having the ability to attack normally in melee or just have a backup weapon as per standard.
Half the fun of an inquisitor to me is getting to play an angry, divine ungodly conglomeration of rogue, bard, and ranger that pulls weapons from weird places.

realize that the price of a repeating crossbow is what demands that +1 2,000 price... :|

Spider,
The concept was that he didn't have the cash to get back home yet and couldn't work as a pit fighter. If you want him to have some cash available, well then we can change it so that he's waiting for a court case to get money from some of the people who owed money to the promoter. (The locals know how to work the byzantine legal system...Arg not so much)

But the end concept was that Mr. Val is a relatively decent guy who pays Arg to be his 'security' while Arg is stuck in town without any sort of pit fighting for him to take up. And he has worked only a few weeks for Mr. Val. He's not indentured to Mr. Val.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby Amara » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:25 am

Wait... repeating crossbows themselves are magic in your setting? o_o
Also, I saw the 2d8 as 1d8. Sorry about that. Hm. Thinking on it then. Would it be possible to still treat it as a double weapon, so that the melee weapon portion could actually have a melee enchantment on it? (Since that was why I was inquiring about 3e's method of handling bayonets in the first place.)
Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Amara wrote:Wait... repeating crossbows themselves are magic in your setting? o_o
Also, I saw the 2d8 as 1d8. Sorry about that. Hm. Thinking on it then. Would it be possible to still treat it as a double weapon, so that the melee weapon portion could actually have a melee enchantment on it? (Since that was why I was inquiring about 3e's method of handling bayonets in the first place.)

Please allow the GM a universe that makes sense in his own head...

[spoil]Here is Quarg's problem with the non-magic repeating crossbows beyond light weapons...(or the cry of Physics! could be heard)

A crossbow, like a longbow is a physical machines and physical machines only alter and store physical energy/force.

So how in the hell is a heavy repeating crossbow supposed to work? It has to either have some means of either having its bow pulled back after each shot (which is generally how the chinese version worked but that makes it a light weapon having the force of what you can scissor between your upper and lower arms)
or it has an individual bow for each shot...which then takes a damn long time to reload.

Magic of course can allow the device to be easily recocked by some non-user provided force, allowing for people to only need to let the bolt get into the slot...

So yes heavy repeating crossbow = Magic crossbow because I'm an engineer and only magic allows you not to require a squire named kevin who's job it is to run backwards from you to re-cock the damn thing every time you want to fire it again. (But then it really is a mini-ballista)[/spoil]
And I will let you dual attribute to an extent...the forms of magic just can not balance to an explosive or destructive end. (Heat and cold negate passively, matter and anti-matter do not) (Which I would do the same if adding any magic bladed attachment to a ranged magic weapon...)
(Yeah hot and cold repeatedly has a shock value but only when applied in a shock like manner...)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Quarg wrote:Spider,
The concept was that he didn't have the cash to get back home yet and couldn't work as a pit fighter.

Doesn't really have a home, his main draw back to the promoter's home city would be to track him down and different kind of hug than he pays the ladies silver for. Or to return to bigger cities that have fighting seasons year round and can draw bigger crowds (it sounded like he was part of a tour to the outskirts of the Empire?)

If you want him to have some cash available, well then we can change it so that he's waiting for a court case to get money from some of the people who owed money to the promoter. (The locals know how to work the byzantine legal system...Arg not so much)

I don't need for there to be a court case, haven't finished buying out his equipment, but depending on how much is leftover, if you'd rather tie it up in the courts as a plot device to keep him there, I'm fine with that. It'll be no more than a few hundred gold.

But the end concept was that Mr. Val is a relatively decent guy who pays Arg to be his 'security' while Arg is stuck in town without any sort of pit fighting for him to take up.

That was the main thing I wanted to know. If he was indentured to Mr. Val, or if he owned the remainder of his contract, Arg would be not disposed to liking or respecting his current employer given how things went down with his father's contract. Perhaps we could amend the background of the melee team such that the other members were criminal types who the promoter had bought the sentences of to have them under contract as fighters, while Arg is established enough in the fighting world to have been hired on as a freelancer? So when shit went down, the rest of the fighters' contracts were seized and they were put to work to offset the promoter's debts, but that didn't have a hold on Arg, he was just left without the payments he would have received for completing the fight tour.

And he has worked only a few weeks for Mr. Val. He's not indentured to Mr. Val.
Not grubbing for $ here, but what is Mr. Val paying him? I'd say that 'pit fighter' is probably his true profession, but he would have some experience hiring on as a bouncer/muscle for hire. I should probably split that into two profession skills, dividing the 3 ranks I had into 2 in Pit Fighter and 1 in Bouncer/Muscle.

If Profession check is warranted for his time with Mr. Val,

_: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17/2 = 8 gp
1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8/2 = 4 gp
1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24/2 = 12 gp

(brings up another question... will you want us making rolls when needed, or do you prefer to do it?)

[s]LOTS OF MATHS[/s]

I'd gone through and priced out room, food and drink for each week and deducted it from the above weekly wages (~5g/wk), but ended up deleting it all since I'd not even checked in with you first for your input. :P

Quarg wrote:only magic allows you not to require a squire named kevin who's job it is to run backwards from you to re-cock the damn thing every time you want to fire it again.

"Hi, my name's Kevin."
games I gm

games I play

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Spider,
More like the promoter had this genius idea of recruiting pit fighting players to go play in Avedon where he heard they played 'team pit fighting' but discovered Melee was really nothing like pit fighting. (Imagine someone brining American football players to Europe to play 'football', it was a cultural mess...)

The concept was that the other players were considered 'Partners' under Serene Republic Law while Arg's became an employee. So the debt was split amongst the remaining 'partners' and demanded that they pay the outstanding debts or be forced to work it off.

Arg could be stuck in the Serene Republic waiting for the appeal process. That they were being provided 'room and board' under typical pit fighter contracts (again not normal for the Serene Republic where either your a partner in a venture or a sworn liege to the House to share in the profit and get room and board)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Ok, sounds good. just trying to get a good handle on his work/social situation at the moment, hence my questions as to the exact nature of his employment with Mr. Val.
games I gm

games I play

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Ok, sounds good. just trying to get a good handle on his work/social situation at the moment, hence my questions as to the exact nature of his employment with Mr. Val.

Mr. Val is only minorly important at the moment...but he's the reason your on the boat... ;)

(No problems)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Only minorly important, but informs Arg's demeanor towards Val, and likely others he will meet. He'll be more likely to go along with things given that Mr. Val is a fair employer. If he's housed, fed, and making a wage, he'll be content to bide his time til fights are available or he earns enough to ship out (though desire to sail away will likely change pending upcoming adventure).
games I gm

games I play

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Heavy crossbow has a crank of somekind, most likely.
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator

Postby Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Heavy crossbow has a crank of somekind, most likely.

Still requires the same amount of forcexdistance be applied...just that now to make the force less the distance is increased...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby Tea » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Quarg wrote:Tea,
No problems that was the kind of editing I was sort of hoping for :)...the uncle is the other 'black sheep' of the family really...
though how the Ambassador is going to get her assistance we'll have to work out.

Dead men can't sign her uncle's warrants. She's got a good reason for trying keeping the guy it looks like people are trying to kill from being killed. Whether or not he'll take her help....may be another matter....
Tea
Is Heard Often

Postby Synch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Name : Makita Pantalion
Race : Human
Class : Pistolero (Gunslinger)
Level : 5
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral
Deity : None

Appearance
[hr]
Height : 6’0”
Weight : 190lbs.
Skin: Tan
Hair : Black
Eyes : Grey

[hr]
APPEARANCE DESCRIPTION
A once handsome hawkish man with steel grey eyes and meticulous black salt-and-pepper hair, Pantalion now has heavy scarring down the left side of his face and an unkempt appearance. He wears an eyepatch to cover his missing left eye. He wears black leathers and boots, with a black brimmed hat.

[thumbnail]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f9/32/2d/f9322d98bac411c46a6c9e124a284704.jpg[/thumbnail]

[hr]

Vital statistics
ABILITIES

STR = 10 + 0 PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 10 (+0)
DEX = 10 + 4 (5pts) PB + 0 Level + 2 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 16 (+3)
CON = 10 + 3 (3pts) PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 13 (+1)
INT = 10 + 2 (2pts) PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 12 (+1)
WIS = 10 + 4 (5pts) PB + 1 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 15 (+ 2)
CHA = 10 + 0 PB + 0 Level + 0 Racial + 0 Magic + 0 Age = 10 (+0)

[hr]
HP : 55/55
HD: 5d10+5

Size : Medium
Speed : 30 ft.

XP :
Next Level At:

[hr]
COMBAT STATISTICS

BASE ATTACK BONUS
MELEE
Total: +5
Base: +5
STR: +0
Misc: --

RANGED
Total: +8
Base: +5
DEX: +3
Misc: --

ARMOR CLASS
AC Total : 18
AC when Flat-Footed 14
AC vs Touch Attack 14
Base: 10
Armor: +4
Natural: +0
Dodge: +1
Dexterity: +3
Size: +0
Magic: --
Misc.: +0

INITIATIVE
Total: 5
DEX: +3
Misc.: +2

[hr]
SAVING THROWS

Total Base Ability Misc Magic
FORT : 6 = 4 + 1 + 0 + 1
REF : 8 = 4 + 3 + 0 + 1
WILL : 4 = 1 + 2 + 0 + 1

[hr]

Innate powers
RACIAL TRAITS

Ability Adjustments: +2 Dexterity
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
Gunslinger Add +1/4 point to the gunslinger's grit points.

CHARACTER TRAITS
Killer: You deal an amount of additional damage equal to your weapon's critical hit modifier when you score a successful critical hit with a weapon; this additional damage is added to the final total, and is not multiplied by the critical hit multiple itself. This extra damage is a trait bonus.
Reactionary: You gain a +2 trait bonus on initiative checks.

[hr]
FEATS

Gunsmithing: You know the secrets of repairing and restoring firearms.
Benefit: If you have access to a gunsmith's kit, you can create and restore firearms, craft bullets, and mix black powder for all types of firearms. You do not need to make a Craft check to create firearms and ammunition or to restore firearms.
Crafting Firearms: You can craft any early firearm for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft advanced firearms for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. Crafting a firearm in this way takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of the firearm’s price (minimum 1 day).
Crafting Ammunition: You can craft bullets, pellets, and black powder for a cost in raw materials equal to 10% of the price. If you have at least 1 rank in Craft (alchemy), you can craft alchemical cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the cartridge. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft metal cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the cost of the cartridge. Crafting bullets, black powder, or cartridges takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of ammunition (minimum 1 day).
Restoring a Broken Firearm: Each day, with an hour’s worth of work, you can use this feat to repair a single firearm with the broken condition. You can take time during a rest period to restore a broken firearm with this feat.
Special: If you are a gunslinger, this feat grants the following additional benefit. You can use this feat to repair and restore your initial, battered weapon. It costs 300 gp and 1 day of work to upgrade it to a masterwork firearm of its type.
Point-Blank Shot: You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet.
Two-Weapon Fighting: Prerequisite: Dex 15.Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hand lessens by 2 and the one for your off hand lessens by 6. See Two-Weapon Fighting.
Quick Draw: You can draw weapons faster than most. Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1. Benefit: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.
Rapid Reload:Prerequisites: Weapon Proficiency (crossbow type chosen) or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearm). Benefit: The time required for you to reload your chosen type of weapon is reduced to a free action (for a hand or light crossbow), a move action (for heavy crossbow or one-handed firearm), or a standard action (two-handed firearm). Reloading a crossbow or firearm still provokes attacks of opportunity. If you have selected this feat for a hand crossbow or light crossbow, you may fire that weapon as many times in a full-attack action as you could attack if you were using a bow.
Precise Shot: You are adept at firing ranged attacks into melee. Prerequisite: Point-Blank Shot. Benefit: You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard –4 penalty on your attack roll.

[hr]
CLASS ABILITIES

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Pistoleros are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with one-handed firearms. They are proficient with all light armor.

Gunsmith
At 1st level, a gunslinger gains one of the following firearms of her choice: blunderbuss, musket, or pistol. Her starting weapon is battered, and only she knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat her gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (it’s worth 4d10 gp when sold). The gunslinger also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

Grit
A gunslinger makes her mark upon the world with daring deeds. Some gunslingers claim they belong to a mystical way of the gun, but it’s more likely that the volatile nature of firearms simply prunes the unlucky and careless from their ranks. Whatever the reason, all gunslingers have grit. In game terms, grit is a fluctuating measure of a gunslinger’s ability to perform amazing actions in combat. At the start of each day, a gunslinger gains a number of grit points equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). Her grit goes up or down throughout the day, but usually cannot go higher than her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), though some feats and magic items may affect this maximum. A gunslinger spends grit to accomplish deeds (see below), and regains grit in the following ways.
Critical Hit with a Firearm: Each time the gunslinger confirms a critical hit with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, she regains 1 grit point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or on a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the gunslinger’s character level does not restore grit.
Killing Blow with a Firearm: When the gunslinger reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, she regains 1 grit point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the gunslinger’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any grit.

Nimble
Starting at 2nd level, a gunslinger gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC while wearing light or no armor. Anything that causes the gunslinger to lose her Dexterity bonus to AC also causes the gunslinger to lose this dodge bonus. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels beyond 2nd level (to a maximum of +5 at 20th level).

Bonus Feats
At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, a gunslinger gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained by normal advancement. These bonus feats must be combat or grit feats.

Pistol Training
Starting at 5th level, a pistolero increases her skill with one-handed firearms. She gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to her Dexterity modifier, and when she misfires with a one-handed firearm, the misfire value increases by 2 instead of 4. Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), the bonus on damage rolls increases by +1. At 13th level, a pistolero never misfires with a one-handed firearm.

True Grit
At 20th level, a gunslinger picks two deeds that she has access to and that she must spend grit to perform. She can perform these deeds for 1 grit point fewer (minimum 0) than usual. If the number of grit points to perform a deed is reduced to 0, the gunslinger can perform this deed as long as she has at least 1 grit point. If a deed could already be performed as long as she had at least 1 grit point, she can now perform that deed even when she has no grit points.
[hr]

Deeds
Gunslingers spend grit points to accomplish deeds. Most deeds grant the gunslinger some momentary bonus or effect, but there are some that provide longer-lasting effects. Some deeds stay in effect as long as the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point. The following is the list of base gunslinger deeds. A gunslinger can only perform deeds of her level or lower. Unless otherwise noted, a deed can be performed multiple successive times, as long as the appropriate amount of grit is spent to perform the deed.

Up Close and Deadly (Ex): At 1st level, when the pistolero hits a target with a one-handed firearm that is not making a scatter shot, she can spend 1 grit point to deal 1d6 points of extra damage on a hit. If she misses with the attack, she grazes the target, dealing half the extra damage anyway. This is precision damage and is not multiplied if the attack is a critical hit. This precision damage increases to 2d6 at 5th level, to 3d6 at 10th level, to 4d6 at 15th level, and to 5d6 at 20th level. This precision damage stacks with sneak attack and other forms of precision damage.

Gunslinger’s Dodge (Ex): At 1st level, the gunslinger gains an uncanny knack for getting out of the way of ranged attacks. When a ranged attack is made against the gunslinger, she can spend 1 grit point to move 5 feet as an immediate action; doing so grants the gunslinger a +2 bonus to AC against the triggering attack. This movement is not a 5-foot step, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Alternatively, the gunslinger can drop prone to gain a +4 bonus to AC against the triggering attack. The gunslinger can only perform this deed while wearing medium or light armor, and while carrying no more than a light load.

Quick Clear (Ex): At 1st level, as a standard action, the gunslinger can remove the broken condition from a single firearm she is currently wielding, as long as that condition was gained by a firearm misfire. The gunslinger must have at least 1 grit point to perform this deed. Alternatively, if the gunslinger spends 1 grit point to perform this deed, she can perform quick clear as a move-equivalent action instead of a standard action.

Gunslinger Initiative (Ex): At 3rd level, as long as the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point, she gains the following benefits. First, she gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks. Furthermore, if she has the Quick Draw feat, her hands are free and unrestrained, and the firearm is not hidden, she can draw a single firearm as part of the initiative check.

Pistol-Whip (Ex): At 3rd level, the gunslinger can make a surprise melee attack with the butt or handle of her firearm as a standard action. When she does, she is considered to be proficient with the firearm as a melee weapon and gains a bonus on the attack and damage rolls equal to the enhancement bonus of the firearm. The damage dealt by the pistol-whip is of the bludgeoning type, and is determined by the size of the firearm. One-handed firearms deal 1d6 points of damage (1d4 if wielded by Small creatures) and two-handed firearms deal 1d10 points of damage (1d8 if wielded by Small creatures). Regardless of the gunslinger’s size, the critical multiplier of this attack is 20/×2. If the attack hits, the gunslinger can make a combat maneuver check to knock the target prone as a free action. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point.

Utility Shot (Ex): At 3rd level, if the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point, she can perform all of the following utility shots. Each utility shot can be applied to any single attack with a firearm, but the gunslinger must declare the utility shot she is using before firing the shot.
Blast Lock: The gunslinger makes an attack roll against a lock within the first range increment of her firearm. A Diminutive lock usually has AC 7, and larger locks have a lower AC. The lock gains a bonus to its AC against this attack based on its quality. A simple lock has a +10 bonus to AC, an average lock has a +15 bonus to AC, a good lock has a +20 bonus to AC, and a superior lock has a +30 bonus to AC. Arcane lock grants a +10 bonus to the AC of a lock against this attack. On a hit, the lock is destroyed, and the object can be opened as if it were unlocked. On a miss, the lock is destroyed, but the object is jammed and still considered locked. It can still be unlocked by successfully performing this deed, by using the Disable Device skill, or with the break DC, though the DC for either break or Disable Device or the AC increases by 10. A key, combination, or similar mechanical method of unlocking the lock no longer works, though knock can still be employed to bypass the lock, and the creator of an arcane lock can still bypass the wards of that spell.
Scoot Unattended Object: The gunslinger makes an attack roll against a Tiny or smaller unattended object within the first range increment of her firearm. A Tiny unattended object has an AC of 5, a Diminutive unattended object has an AC of 7, and a Fine unattended object has an AC of 11. On a hit, the gunslinger does not damage the object with the shot, but can move it up to 15 feet farther away from the shot’s origin. On a miss, she damages the object normally.
Stop Bleeding: The gunslinger makes a firearm attack and then presses the hot barrel against herself or an adjacent creature to staunch a bleeding wound. Instead of dealing damage, the shot ends a single bleed condition affecting the creature. The gunslinger does not have to make an attack roll when performing the deed in this way; she can instead shoot the firearm into the air, but that shot still uses up ammunition normally.

Dead Shot (Ex): At 7th level, as a full-round action, the gunslinger can take careful aim and pool all of her attack potential into a single, deadly shot. When she does this, she shoots the firearm at a single target, but makes as many attack rolls as she can, based on her base attack bonus. She makes the attack rolls in order from highest bonus to lowest, as if she were making a full attack. If any of the attack rolls hit the target, the gunslinger’s single attack is considered to have hit. For each additional successful attack roll beyond the first, the gunslinger increases the damage of the shot by the base damage dice of the firearm. For instance, if a 7th-level gunslinger firing a musket hits with both attacks, she does 2d12 points of damage with the shot, instead of 1d12 points of damage, before adding any damage modifiers. Precision damage and extra damage from weapon special abilities (such as flaming) are added with damage modifiers and are not increased by this deed. If one or more rolls are critical threats, she confirms the critical once using her highest base attack bonus –5. For each critical threat beyond the first, she reduces this penalty by 1 (to a maximum of 0). The gunslinger only misfires on a dead shot if all the attack rolls are misfires. She cannot perform this deed with a blunderbuss or other scatter weapon when attacking creatures in a cone. The gunslinger must spend 1 grit point to perform this deed.

Deadeye (Ex): At 7tH level, the gunslinger can resolve an attack against touch AC instead of normal AC when firing beyond her firearm’s first range increment. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point per range increment beyond the first. The gunslinger still takes the –2 penalty on attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first when she performs this deed.

Targeting (Ex): At 7th level, as a full-round action, the gunslinger can make a single firearm attack and choose part of the body to target. She gains the following effects depending on the part of the body targeted. If a creature does not have one of the listed body locations, that part cannot be targeted. This deed costs 1 grit point to perform no matter which part of the creature she targets. Creatures that are immune to sneak attacks are immune to these effects.

Arms: On a hit, the target takes no damage from the hit but drops one carried item of the gunslinger’s choice, even if the item is wielded with two hands. Items held in a locked gauntlet are not dropped on a hit.
Head: On a hit, the target is damaged normally, and is also confused for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting effect.
Legs: On a hit, the target is damaged normally and knocked prone. Creatures that have four or more legs or that are immune to trip attacks are immune to this effect.
Torso: Targeting the torso threatens a critical on a 19–20.
Wings: On a hit, the target is damaged normally, and must make a DC 20 Fly check or fall 20 ft.

Twin Shot Knockdown (Ex): At 11th level, when the pistolero hits a single target with two or more one-handed firearm attacks during her turn, she can spend 1 grit point to knock the target prone. She can choose to spend the grit point after the attacks are made.

Expert Loading (Ex): At 11th level, whenever the gunslinger rolls a misfire with a gun that has the broken condition, she can spend 1 grit point to keep the gun from exploding, though it retains the broken condition.

Lightning Reload (Ex): At 11th level, as long as the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point, she can reload a single barrel of a one-handed or two-handed firearm as a swift action once per round. If she has the Rapid Reload feat or is using an alchemical cartridge (or both), she can reload a single barrel of the weapon as a free action each round instead. Furthermore, using this deed does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Evasive (Ex): At 15th level, when the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point, she gains the benefit of the evasion, uncanny dodge, and improved uncanny dodge rogue class features. She uses her gunslinger level as her rogue level for improved uncanny dodge.

Menacing Shot (Ex): At 15th level, the gunslinger can spend 1 grit point, shoot a firearm into the air, and affect all living creatures within a 30-foot-radius burst as if they were subject to the fear spell. The DC of this effect is equal to 10 + 1/2 the gunslinger’s level + the gunslinger’s Wisdom modifier.

Slinger’s Luck (Ex): At 15th level, the gunslinger can spend grit to reroll a saving throw or a skill check. It costs 2 grit points to reroll a saving throw, and 1 grit point to reroll a skill check. The gunslinger must take the result of the second roll, even if it is lower. The deed’s cost cannot be reduced by the true grit class ability, the Signature Deed feat, or any other effect that reduces the amount of grit a deed costs.

Cheat Death (Ex): At 19th level, whenever the gunslinger is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, she can spend all of her remaining grit points (minimum 1) to instead be reduced to 1 hit point.

Death’s Shot (Ex): At 19th level, when the gunslinger scores a critical hit, she can spend 1 grit point to deal normal damage, and the target must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 the gunslinger’s level + the gunslinger’s Dexterity modifier. On a failed saving throw, the target dies. This is a death attack. Performing this deed does not allow the gunslinger to regain grit from confirming a critical hit or making a killing blow.

Stunning Shot (Ex): At 19th level, when a gunslinger hits a creature, she can spend 2 grit points to stun the creature for 1 round. The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw (the DC = 10 + 1/2 the gunslinger’s level + the gunslinger’s Wisdom modifier). If the creature fails, it is stunned for 1 round. Creatures that are immune to critical hits are also immune to this effect.
[hr]

Skills
SKILLS

4 + INT +1 Racial = 6 + Favored Class = 6/LVL = 30 total skill points

Pistolero Class Skills
Acrobatics: 5 Ranks + 3 DEX + 3 Pistolero - 0 Armor = + 11 total
Bluff: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 0 total
Climb: 0 Ranks + 0 STR - 0 Armor = + 0 total
Craft: Alchemy: 2 Ranks + 1 INT + 3 Pistolero = + 6 total
Handle Animal: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 0 total
Heal: 3 Ranks + 2 WIS + 3 Pistolero = + 8 total
Intimidate: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 0 total
Knowledge: Engineering: 0 Ranks + 1 INT = + 1 total
Knowledge: Local: 3 Ranks + 1 INT + 3 Pistolero = + 7 total
Perception: 5 Ranks + 2 WIS + 3 Pistolero = + 10 total
Profession: Military: 2 Ranks + 3 Pistolero + 2 WIS = + 7 total
Profession: Nobility: 0 Ranks + 2 Pistolero + 2 WIS = + 4 total
Ride: 3 Ranks + 3 DEX + 3 Pistolero - 0 Armor = +9 total
Sleight of Hand: 2 Ranks + 2 DEX + 3 Pistolero - 0 Armor = + 7 total
Survival: 1 Ranks + 2 WIS + 3 Pistolero = + 6 total
Swim: 0 Ranks + 0 STR - 0 Armor = + 0 total

Cross-Class Skills
Appraise: 0 Ranks + 1 INT = + 1 total
Diplomacy: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 0 total
Disable Device: 0 Ranks +3 DEX - 0 Armor = + 0 total
Disguise: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 0 total
Escape Artist: 0 Ranks + 3 DEX - 0 Armor = + 0 total
Knowledge: Dungeoneering: 0 Ranks + 1 INT = + 1 total
Linguistics: 0 Ranks + 1 INT = + 1 total
Perform: : 4 Ranks + 0 CHA = + 4 total
Sense Motive: 0 Ranks + 2 WIS = + 2 total
Spellcraft: 0 Ranks + 1 INT = + 1 total
Stealth: 0 Ranks + 3 DEX - 0 Armor = + 3 total
Use Magic Device: 0 Ranks + 0 CHA= + 0 total

[hr]
LANGUAGES

Common
Bonus: None
Purchased:

Equipment
[hr]
WEAPONS
Fortune and Glory, Dual Pistols: Having lost his ability to accurately fire his experimental rifle from long range, Pantalion modified his rifle into a one-handed pistol. Following much success with the new weapon, Pantalion eventually created a second to accompany the first.
Masterwork (+1 to hit) breech-loading rifled single shot pistols, Dmg = 1d8+1, Crit = x4, Range = 40ft, Misfire = 1 (5 ft.) Wt = 8lb., Price = 7,000gp

Alchemical Cartridges, Paper: This simple mix of black powder and either pellets or a bullet increases the misfire value by 1. Quantity = 160, Price = 960gp

Alchemical Cartridge, Flare: When a flare cartridge hits its target, it only deals half damage, but the creature struck is blinded for 1 round (Fort DC 15 reduces this to dazzled), and creatures within a 20-foot burst are dazzled for 1 round (Fort DC 15 negates the effect). Flare cartridges are also useful for sending up signal flares. Firing a flare cartridge increases the firearm’s misfire value by 2 unless it is fired from a blunderbuss or a dragon pistol, in which case doing so only increases the firearm’s misfire value by 1. Flares can only be used to attack single creatures; they do not work as a shot for a cone scatter attack.
Quantity = 20, Price = 100gp

Dagger: A dagger has a blade that is about 1 foot in length.
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand skill checks made to conceal a dagger on your body (see Using Skills).
Dmg = 1d4, Crit = 19-20/x2, Range = 10ft, Wt = 1lb., Price = 2gp

[hr]
PROTECTION

Mithral Shirt: This extremely light chain shirt is made of very fine mithral links. AB = 4, Max DEX = +6, AC = 0, Wt = 10 lb, 1100 gp.

[hr]
EQUIPMENT

Endless Bandolier: Small loops sewn into this bandolier look like they can hold twenty alchemical cartridges (ammunition for a firearm), but due to a subtle bending of space can actually hold up to 60 cartridges. Additionally, the six thin pockets on the bandolier are extradimensional spaces meant to hold extra guns and gear. The four small pockets can each hold a one-handed firearm, 1 pound of ammunition, a powder horn, or a similarly sized object. The two large pockets are large enough to hold a two-handed firearm or a similarly sized object. The wearer can draw an item stored in the bandolier as easily as if from an ordinary ammunition pouch or holster. The bandolier weighs the same no matter what is placed inside it. Wt: 2lbs. Price: 1500gp

Adventurer's Outfit: This set of clothes is for someone who never knows what to expect. It includes sturdy boots, leather breeches or a skirt, a belt, a shirt (perhaps with a vest or jacket), gloves, and a cloak. The clothes have plenty of pockets (especially the cloak). The outfit also includes any extra accessories you might need, such as a scarf or a wide-brimmed hat. Wt: 8lbs. Price: 10gp.

Gunsmith's Kit: This small kit has all the tools a person needs to create, repair, and restore firearms, except for the necessary raw materials. Without such a kit, you cannot properly construct or provide upkeep for firearms. Wt: 2lbs. Price: 15gp.

Powder Horn: Typically crafted from animal horn, but increasingly crafted from metal in a wide variety of shapes, a powder horn can hold up to 10 doses of black powder. A powder horn protects black powder stored within in it from exposure to fire, electricity, firearm misfires, and water. Wt: 1lb. Price: 3gp.

Bedroll: 1 sp, Wt. 5 lb

Canteen: Water 2 gp, wt. 1lb.
Contains 1/2 gal of water, wt. 4lb.

Hip Flask: Whiskey 1 gp, wt. 1lb.
Contains 1 pint of whiskey, 1 gp.

Flint and Steel: 1 gp, wt. --

Silk Rope: This 50-foot length of silk rope has 4 hit points and can be broken with a DC 24 Strength check. Price 10 gp; Weight 5 lbs.

Trail Rations: (5 days) This bland food is usually some kind of hard tack, jerky, and dried fruit, though the contents vary from region to region and the race of those creating it. As long as it stays dry, it can go for months without spoiling. 5 sp/day = 25 sp, wt. 5lb.

Deck of cards: A standard non-magical deck of cards. 1gp, wt. --

[hr]
MAGIC ITEMS

Eye Patch of Resistance +1: An eye patch covers one eye and ties around the head. This garment offers magic protection in the form of a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws (Fortitude, Reflex, and Will). Price = 1000gp

Potion of Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Quantity = 1, Price = 50gp

Potion of Pass Without Trace: The subject or subjects of this spell do not leave footprints or a scent trail while moving. Tracking the subjects is impossible by non-magical means. Quantity = 1, Price = 50gp

[hr]
TREASURE

PP:-
GP: 91
SP: -
CP: -

MISC.:

GEMS:

Personality and Backstory
Personality Description: Pantalion was once a very dashing, hubristic and charming man; well loved by both the soldiers and the women. However since his mishap he is now very quiet and apathetic, with very little flamboyance in either his personality or his operation.

Background: Every man, woman and child in the Empire knew the name Makita Pantalion, the legendary musketeer of the Imperial Army. Initially a mercenary for hire and one of the famed Dogs of War - elite mercenaries that only the most wealthy could afford - he was known for his sublime marksmanship and long-range assassination, as well as his womanising. It was rumored he could shoot a man between the eyes at 1000 yards with his highly customised flintlock rifle. The Imperial Army made him an offer he couldn't refuse when they became tired of their officers being picked off.

Pantalion became accustomed to the luxuries and trappings that came with a steady income and the glory of being a famed warhero, and slowly developed a very hubristic and narcassistic personality, although his charm and gallantry still left him enamored by his men (having risen to lead the First Imperial Rifles) and the ladies. It did not sit well with everyone however.

It was at one fateful battle that Pantalion's gunpowder had been switched with a highly explosive cocktail in an act of sabotage. Who was responsible or how they managed to tamper with Pantalion's custom rifle successfully is unknown, but it was an uncharacteristic lack of preparation and scrutiny that led to the rifle exploding in his hands, sending shrapnel into the left side of his arm and face. It was only the quick thinking of his gun squire Aldor, his most loyal and ardent fan, to put Pantalion's comatose form onto a horse and head for safety that saved him from being finished off by his would-be assassin.

Pantalion's recovery was slow and difficult. His gun squire had managed to get him to a monastery where the shrapnel was removed and wounds disinfected, but he lay in a deep sleep for a fortnight. When he awoke, he remembered only fragments of his previous life, his left eye was gone, and his left arm prone to frequent numbness. Although Aldor had filled the gaps in Pantalion's history and past events, and Pantalion remembered his gunsmithing enough to repair the rifle, Pantalion could barely hold his rifle steady with his numb arm, and his missing eye sorely ruined his aim. He was no longer the charismatic man Aldor once knew, instead prone to long bouts of silence, and outbursts of frustration regarding forgotten details and abilities. However he retained enough memory to adapt the rifle into a flintlock pistol that he could wield in one-hand, and muscle memory had left him adept at the use of other firearms still, if not long-range rifles.

Departing the monastery once well, Aldor and Pantalion could find no leads as to who might have been behind the assassination attempt, and did their best to hide Pantalion's identity lest he still be a target. Such a dramatic change of personality and scarred face did much good in distinguishing him from his past life, thankfully. What little coin the monks had given them gone, the pair were forced to resort to highway robbery to survive. All was going well until they were ambushed by a large group of mercenaries in hiding that had been employed by a lord who was becoming increasingly frustrated with his vassals being robbed. Pantalion managed to escape by the skin of his teeth, but could not prevent Aldor being killed.

Alone and constantly on the move, Pantalion eventually found safety and employment with a travelling group of troubadours and performers known as Circo Spectaculare as a trickshooter with the moniker of Marko Ribero, the Black Hawk. Always aware of the fact that he eventually may need to move on again, Pantalion kept a low profile and his distance from the other members of the troupe, and wondered whether to disappear again as they approached the outskirts of Avedon.
Last edited by Synch on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 16 times in total.
games
GM for Children of Ash, a post-apocalyptic survival story.

GAL: Leaves No Trace
M0rtimer's PTU: Trinity Isles: Bjorn Felman, a Capture Specialist/Rider/Frost Touched
Quarg's D&D Immortals in the Serene Court: Makita Pantalion, a human pistolero
Spiderwrangler's Surviving Castle Heterodyne: Enoch Ayreslea-Sleight, a biologist
Synch
Game Master

Postby Synch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm

I just need to do Skills and Equipment, and whatever details these affect obviously.

Questions:
I'm looking at taking Flintlock Pepperboxes, but are we sufficiently advanced to have revolvers?
Am I correct in calculating 30 skill points? (4 +1 Int + 1 racial, * 5 levels.)
games

M0rtimer's PTU: Trinity Isles: Bjorn Felman, a Capture Specialist/Rider/Frost Touched
Spiderwrangler's Surviving Castle Heterodyne: Enoch Ayreslea-Sleight, a biologist
Synch
Game Master

Postby Quarg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 am

Skill points:
You do have 30 general skill points

You also an additional five points that can only be 'used' under the following rule:
Code: Select all
Take the Gunslinger Class
Gunslingers gets one additional 'skill point' beyond the 4+Int which they must apply to one of the following:
Musketeer - 1 points profession military
Landsman - 1 points profession sailor
Armsman - 1 points Knowledge Nobility
Guildman - 1 points Knowledge Guilds
which reflects the origin of your knowledge...for example if you learned weapons from someone either in or formerly conncected to the military you'd be a Muskateer and get 1 points in being a professional solider so you can identify rank insignia...known the difference between a corporal and a Colonel...et

Based on your background I suggest
3 points profession military
2 points Knowledge Nobility

But I leave it to you to decide how to spread them out...

Equipment
Pepperboxes apparently fail the 17th century rule as they tended not to be known before 1790's but multi-barrels weapons do exist...
(That and the pepperbox does the same damage as a pistol but the bullet is smaller so even at the same speed the damage would be much less per round...dah...)

So rather than the pepperbox I will allow the following do exist:

A three shot capacity pepperbox or

Mathias Breech Pistol (Considered Masterwork)
The Mathias Breech Pistol -Yeah but I saw this and thought it was a lot damn cooler...
The most advanced weapon yet actually created it is said that one must order one to be made when a child is born for him to receive it when he become a man from the most singular and expensive gunsmith in the known world. It is unique in that the weapon has specially made 'block cartridges' that contain both a pocket for each bullet as well as a flash pan.
Range 40 ft
Damage 1d8+1
Capacity - The player can load in as many block cartridges as a free action that remain loaded player can take full BAB for each shot fired (does not remove rapid shot -2 penalty)
Reloading - each block cartridge must be reloaded starting as a standard action and can be reduced
Crit x4
Misfilre 1 dmg 10 ft
Weight 8 lbs -gun each block cartridge 1 lbs
Cost 5,000g for weapon and one block cartridge
200g for each additional block cartridge -(note not consumable but must reloaded with shot and powder before reuse)

Oh and I guess he could be the 'leader' of one of the specialized companies of the First Imperial Rifles realizing that he'd never have gotten to the rank of Colonel...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby Synch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Quarg wrote:You also an additional five points that can only be 'used' under the following rule:
Code: Select all
Take the Gunslinger Class
Gunslingers gets one additional 'skill point' beyond the 4+Int which they must apply to one of the following:
Musketeer - 1 points profession military
Landsman - 1 points profession sailor
Armsman - 1 points Knowledge Nobility
Guildman - 1 points Knowledge Guilds
which reflects the origin of your knowledge...for example if you learned weapons from someone either in or formerly conncected to the military you'd be a Muskateer and get 1 points in being a professional solider so you can identify rank insignia...known the difference between a corporal and a Colonel...et

Based on your background I suggest
3 points profession military
2 points Knowledge Nobility

Definitely not nobility. I thought I only got an extra 1 point, why an extra 5?

And that firearm sounds a little too rare and fancy for me. Might just go with flintlock pistols and add some buffs to them.
games

Synch
Game Master

Postby Quarg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I thought he spent his early years working as an assassin for nobles???

Yeah, realized it should be one point per level as a Gunslinger...

I was also going to screw around with a tribarrel design but eh now your character has something to OOOh over...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr
Quarg

Postby Synch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Good point, he was a gun for hire in the company of nobles and royalty. I like your allocation so will go with that then.
games

Synch
Game Master

Postby Amara » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

For clarification, with the offered dual weapon, I could have it constructed of separate special materials, yes? Ie mithril + dark wood, for example?
But it'd be single shot only? So I'd have a choice between moving or getting to shoot each turn.. I suppose the single shot crossbow being heavier hitting is pretty on point anyway, since repeating crossbows typically are less powerful than their single shot counterparts in the real world.

Does a bog standard, lower damage as per PHB repeating heavy crossbow still exist then? If so I'd rather be able to keep moving and shooting, and I'll just get a light offhand to attack with if something comes at me in melee.
Otherwise I'm pretty screwed until I can get crossbow master, and feat wise that won't be for a while, since I need rapid shot first.

I'll do an inventory write up I can post here as soon as I get this spreadsheet finished up.

Do I need to run traits by you ahead of time, or should I finish writing that up and just post all at once?
Amara
Spokesperson in Training

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games