Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Scowling and giving hugs are what Arg'ak's best at! The intro background sounds good to me, I would be interested in what knowing what his other teammates were like though.
Other pit fighters...I'm not sure how 'close' he was to them or not...but they likely had some 8 in the wisdom slot and were likely smaller humans, half-orcs and hobgoblins...

None of them knew much about Melee because they were hired by someone who obviously screwed the pooch on a good number of things...and Arg'ak is likely fairly wise as pit fighters go...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I keep getting distracted by other things needing my attention, or by my fiance persuading me to play Don't Starve Together with him. End result is we mean to spend an hour playing and then suddenly, "wait, it's 4 AM? Oh dear."

The bit of back story sounds good. I certainly don't see anything out of place.
In the least I'll be putting gold toward a nice repeating crossbow. Still need to figure out enchantments proper. Definitely going full crossbow inquisitor. Once I've figured out full cost, I'll sling my remaining dosh toward the gear I need. It's best I handle the really expensive things first, since I have a habit of winding up with lots of useful but situational items. I once wound up with 500 feet of elven rope by accident. It did come in handy, however.
I'm curious if you'd be willing to let me snag one of Complete Scoundrel's crossbow bayonet's, since Pathfinder handles bayonets...really strangely. (No, really, why does the Pathfinder bayonet render the weapon it is attached to unable to fire? Why the hell does it go in the muzzle? That is not how a bayonet works. )
Complete Scoundrel, p109 wrote: A bayonet does not interfere with the normal functioning of the weapon to which it is fixed, so it can remain attached indefinitely . Bayonets act in all ways like normal melee weapons, as noted in their descriptions, and can be made masterwork or magic (separately from any masterwork or magic property of the main weapon) .Attaching or removing a bayonet requires a move action. Attacking with a bayonet imposes a ÔÇô2 penalty on the attack roll .

Crossbow Bayonet: Bayonets easily fit onto light or heavy crossbows, attaching to the stock below where the bolt fires. Crossbow bayonets come in two kinds: knife and sword. A knife bayonet attached to a crossbow functions as a shortspear, while a sword bayonet attached to a crossbow is treated as a spear .A crossbow with an attached bayonet cannot be thrown as a true spear can be, though it can be set against a charge .
Crossbow bayonet, knife 2GP, 1lb
Crossbow bayonet, sword 4GP, 2lb
vs
Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide wrote: Bayonet
Bayonets are close combat weapons designed to fit into the grooves or muzzles of crossbows and firearms.
Benefit: Bayonets allow you to make melee attacks with these weapons but render them temporarily useless as ranged weapons.
Attach/Remove: Attaching or removing a bayonet is a move action.
Bayonet 5GP 1d6(M) x2 Critical 1LB
X

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:13 am

Pre-drafts....it,...would almost work. I was going for the relations with the rest of her kin are a bit strained (Things were going quite well until she up and took up adventuring on them without so much as a word about it beforehand. She tends to try to keep them at arm's length and I'm pretty sure they're just hoping that after a few years she'll get tired, come to her senses, come back, and settle down.) Then again, perhaps she had been particularly fond of this uncle (or he of her), so if she answers to anyone's doorstep, she owes him that it would be his. So, she will conceivable hear him out. She'll buy it, at least until the point he starts steering the conversation to his commercial woes. "I'm sorry, dear uncle, we're kin, but whether you find a way to keep your feet in shifting sands or let yourself be buried beneath them is tied to your fate, not mine."

It was just so so close to working, it would be a shame to waste it, and she really only needed a little more prompting to get involved, so...I attempted to see what exactly was driving her off...and ended up with this:
► Show Spoiler
Of course, now she's not exactly happy about being coerced, but she'll have agreed to go and going back on her word isn't exactly an option she's willing to take, so now she's regretting agreeing because she isn't sure if she's going to be able to safely walk out of this particular quagmire again but seeing as she's headed in, she'll just have to wait it out and see if she make it to walking out again, and if not, she'll either find a way to keep her feet or she won't. Better to just get this task done with and hope for making a quick retreat.

Alternately, she'll gladly just go hop on a boat if she's tasked with a non-clan message to track down and deliver to someone in the isles (she's hired herself out as a messengerÔÇö although, as an adventurer, she won't turn down other tasks (this fits nicely with actually having been the last five levels of her life)ÔÇösince it's a good way to keep moving around in her attempt to keep away from the clan and to get to see more of the world).

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:40 am

Tea,
No problems that was the kind of editing I was sort of hoping for :)...the uncle is the other 'black sheep' of the family really...
though how the Ambassador is going to get her assistance we'll have to work out.

Amara,
The invention of the modern bayonet is one of those things we as modern inviduals look at and go *Duh*
But the entire thirty years war 1618ÔÇô1648 was fought with both pikemen and muskets working in tandem...
so yeah the original bayonets actually stuck in the muzzle itself making it rather useless to shoot.
But then the Scots invented the socket Bayonet...

And that crossbow bayonet description was make by someone who's never really looked at using a 17th centruy crossbow...or how to fight with a spear...

This is not a no...just me trying to be mechanically valid in my head *hmm*

edit: And I shall offer thee...

Naval Crossbow
Naval Crossbows were once the weapon of choice for those detailed to fight from the tops of sailing vessels or the decks of galleys. Made of either Darkwood or Redwood they are quite light with a five round magazine for heavy bolts. Most importantly they can be used as a pixaxe in a melee fight due to reinforced blade tip of enchanted metal at one end of the bow and a broader 'axe' end on the other as well as a special handle near the but allowing for the user to easily swing the weapon.

Damage - Ranged 2d8+1 / Melee 1d6 - Wt 12 pounds - Restrictions on use of repeating crossbow, Dex bonus in Melee for those with Martial Weapon Feat...
Cost: Start at 2800 for +1 version
Last edited by Quarg on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:08 am

Rather than be a bayonet as such, which are fairly interchangeable, would it be easier to have it be a design feature of this particular crossbow, in that there is a blade mounted to the underside of the stock?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 am

If it's a problem setting-wise to have more advanced bayonets, I can just get the crossbow made out of a more durable material so it'll withstand being bashed against someone's skull, in addition to enchanting it. Wanting a bayonet in the first place is arguably more for "cool factor" than it is for gatting the piercing damage rather than bludgeoning, anyway. :b

I'm looking at going heavy repeating crossbow and speccing 100% in to ranged combat with him (already have point blank shot and rapid reload, and plan on getting rapid shot and crossbow mastery), so I'd rather not drop the 1d10 that going normal heavy crossbow gets me, since I'm probably going to go with a damage enchantment as well (shock, probably.) The reason I inquired about the old 3e bayonet setup was less about the idea of getting spear damage out of it (which is rather silly,) and more that it's just treated as a double weapon, so I could pay to get it enchanted separately--which I'm ok with. I suppose I could get the "oh god something actually got to me weapon effect just as easily by going blade boot, or something.
Ooh that would actually be fun. Nope, totally have no melee weapons...except you now have no shins. Though that invokes two-weapon fighting rules as it's classed as an off-hand weapon, rather than having a set penalty.

I'll think on it, but it will probably be better that I stick with a bog standard heavy crossbow and forgo having the ability to attack normally in melee or just have a backup weapon as per standard.
Half the fun of an inquisitor to me is getting to play an angry, divine ungodly conglomeration of rogue, bard, and ranger that pulls weapons from weird places.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:17 am

Just to clarify, is Arg's employment with Mr. Val just to work off the promoters debts, or is he actually getting paid to be a scowling tower of muscle? I assume he's been working for him more than a couple weeks but less than the 6months hard labor the other pit fighters got?

(Just realized there is a pit fighter prestige class. Not really in his skill set as it is performance based to use CHA to win over crowds.)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

Amara wrote:If it's a problem setting-wise to have more advanced bayonets, I can just get the crossbow made out of a more durable material so it'll withstand being bashed against someone's skull, in addition to enchanting it. Wanting a bayonet in the first place is arguably more for "cool factor" than it is for gatting the piercing damage rather than bludgeoning, anyway. :b

Not for where it makes sense...you do realize RL most heavy crossbows have a sturup on the end for restringing the bow?

Which is why I made the offer of crossing it with a pixaxe...realize a bayonet at the end of a crossbow when you have to sometimes stick the front on the ground makes no sense...but the ends of the bow make such a nice pixaxe to hit someone with and pierce their poor puny skull.
I'm looking at going heavy repeating crossbow and speccing 100% in to ranged combat with him (already have point blank shot and rapid reload, and plan on getting rapid shot and crossbow mastery), so I'd rather not drop the 1d10 that going normal heavy crossbow gets me, since I'm probably going to go with a damage enchantment as well (shock, probably.)
versus 2d8 (not a typo there 2-16 damage versus 1-10...) because it is a large crossbow that is half the normal weight made out of a strong/light material so it can do some damage being swung around the place. And hell I'd give a discount on a Military (such as fire) type upgrade.
The reason I inquired about the old 3e bayonet setup was less about the idea of getting spear damage out of it (which is rather silly,) and more that it's just treated as a double weapon, so I could pay to get it enchanted separately--which I'm ok with. I suppose I could get the "oh god something actually got to me weapon effect just as easily by going blade boot, or something.
Why I integrated a pixaxe with the crossbow with the pixaxe is it made more physical sense and the cost was more the magic required to have the damn thing self restring. A repeating crossbow in my world is magical and magic costs money...sorry the engineer in me is being pissy...
I'll think on it, but it will probably be better that I stick with a bog standard heavy crossbow and forgo having the ability to attack normally in melee or just have a backup weapon as per standard.
Half the fun of an inquisitor to me is getting to play an angry, divine ungodly conglomeration of rogue, bard, and ranger that pulls weapons from weird places.
realize that the price of a repeating crossbow is what demands that +1 2,000 price... :|

Spider,
The concept was that he didn't have the cash to get back home yet and couldn't work as a pit fighter. If you want him to have some cash available, well then we can change it so that he's waiting for a court case to get money from some of the people who owed money to the promoter. (The locals know how to work the byzantine legal system...Arg not so much)

But the end concept was that Mr. Val is a relatively decent guy who pays Arg to be his 'security' while Arg is stuck in town without any sort of pit fighting for him to take up. And he has worked only a few weeks for Mr. Val. He's not indentured to Mr. Val.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:25 am

Wait... repeating crossbows themselves are magic in your setting? o_o
Also, I saw the 2d8 as 1d8. Sorry about that. Hm. Thinking on it then. Would it be possible to still treat it as a double weapon, so that the melee weapon portion could actually have a melee enchantment on it? (Since that was why I was inquiring about 3e's method of handling bayonets in the first place.)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Amara wrote:Wait... repeating crossbows themselves are magic in your setting? o_o
Also, I saw the 2d8 as 1d8. Sorry about that. Hm. Thinking on it then. Would it be possible to still treat it as a double weapon, so that the melee weapon portion could actually have a melee enchantment on it? (Since that was why I was inquiring about 3e's method of handling bayonets in the first place.)
Please allow the GM a universe that makes sense in his own head...
► Show Spoiler
And I will let you dual attribute to an extent...the forms of magic just can not balance to an explosive or destructive end. (Heat and cold negate passively, matter and anti-matter do not) (Which I would do the same if adding any magic bladed attachment to a ranged magic weapon...)
(Yeah hot and cold repeatedly has a shock value but only when applied in a shock like manner...)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Quarg wrote:Spider,
The concept was that he didn't have the cash to get back home yet and couldn't work as a pit fighter.

Doesn't really have a home, his main draw back to the promoter's home city would be to track him down and different kind of hug than he pays the ladies silver for. Or to return to bigger cities that have fighting seasons year round and can draw bigger crowds (it sounded like he was part of a tour to the outskirts of the Empire?)

If you want him to have some cash available, well then we can change it so that he's waiting for a court case to get money from some of the people who owed money to the promoter. (The locals know how to work the byzantine legal system...Arg not so much)

I don't need for there to be a court case, haven't finished buying out his equipment, but depending on how much is leftover, if you'd rather tie it up in the courts as a plot device to keep him there, I'm fine with that. It'll be no more than a few hundred gold.

But the end concept was that Mr. Val is a relatively decent guy who pays Arg to be his 'security' while Arg is stuck in town without any sort of pit fighting for him to take up.

That was the main thing I wanted to know. If he was indentured to Mr. Val, or if he owned the remainder of his contract, Arg would be not disposed to liking or respecting his current employer given how things went down with his father's contract. Perhaps we could amend the background of the melee team such that the other members were criminal types who the promoter had bought the sentences of to have them under contract as fighters, while Arg is established enough in the fighting world to have been hired on as a freelancer? So when shit went down, the rest of the fighters' contracts were seized and they were put to work to offset the promoter's debts, but that didn't have a hold on Arg, he was just left without the payments he would have received for completing the fight tour.

And he has worked only a few weeks for Mr. Val. He's not indentured to Mr. Val.
Not grubbing for $ here, but what is Mr. Val paying him? I'd say that 'pit fighter' is probably his true profession, but he would have some experience hiring on as a bouncer/muscle for hire. I should probably split that into two profession skills, dividing the 3 ranks I had into 2 in Pit Fighter and 1 in Bouncer/Muscle.

If Profession check is warranted for his time with Mr. Val,

_: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17/2 = 8 gp
1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8/2 = 4 gp
1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24/2 = 12 gp

(brings up another question... will you want us making rolls when needed, or do you prefer to do it?)

LOTS OF MATHS

I'd gone through and priced out room, food and drink for each week and deducted it from the above weekly wages (~5g/wk), but ended up deleting it all since I'd not even checked in with you first for your input. :P
Quarg wrote:only magic allows you not to require a squire named kevin who's job it is to run backwards from you to re-cock the damn thing every time you want to fire it again.
"Hi, my name's Kevin."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Spider,
More like the promoter had this genius idea of recruiting pit fighting players to go play in Avedon where he heard they played 'team pit fighting' but discovered Melee was really nothing like pit fighting. (Imagine someone brining American football players to Europe to play 'football', it was a cultural mess...)

The concept was that the other players were considered 'Partners' under Serene Republic Law while Arg's became an employee. So the debt was split amongst the remaining 'partners' and demanded that they pay the outstanding debts or be forced to work it off.

Arg could be stuck in the Serene Republic waiting for the appeal process. That they were being provided 'room and board' under typical pit fighter contracts (again not normal for the Serene Republic where either your a partner in a venture or a sworn liege to the House to share in the profit and get room and board)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Ok, sounds good. just trying to get a good handle on his work/social situation at the moment, hence my questions as to the exact nature of his employment with Mr. Val.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Ok, sounds good. just trying to get a good handle on his work/social situation at the moment, hence my questions as to the exact nature of his employment with Mr. Val.
Mr. Val is only minorly important at the moment...but he's the reason your on the boat... ;)

(No problems)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Only minorly important, but informs Arg's demeanor towards Val, and likely others he will meet. He'll be more likely to go along with things given that Mr. Val is a fair employer. If he's housed, fed, and making a wage, he'll be content to bide his time til fights are available or he earns enough to ship out (though desire to sail away will likely change pending upcoming adventure).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Heavy crossbow has a crank of somekind, most likely.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Heavy crossbow has a crank of somekind, most likely.
Still requires the same amount of forcexdistance be applied...just that now to make the force less the distance is increased...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Quarg wrote:Tea,
No problems that was the kind of editing I was sort of hoping for :)...the uncle is the other 'black sheep' of the family really...
though how the Ambassador is going to get her assistance we'll have to work out.
Dead men can't sign her uncle's warrants. She's got a good reason for trying keeping the guy it looks like people are trying to kill from being killed. Whether or not he'll take her help....may be another matter....

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Name : Makita Pantalion
Race : Human
Class : Pistolero (Gunslinger)
Level : 5
Alignment : Chaotic Neutral
Deity : None
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 16 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm

I just need to do Skills and Equipment, and whatever details these affect obviously.

Questions:
I'm looking at taking Flintlock Pepperboxes, but are we sufficiently advanced to have revolvers?
Am I correct in calculating 30 skill points? (4 +1 Int + 1 racial, * 5 levels.)
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 am

Skill points:
You do have 30 general skill points

You also an additional five points that can only be 'used' under the following rule:

Code: Select all

Take the Gunslinger Class
Gunslingers gets one additional 'skill point' beyond the 4+Int which they must apply to one of the following:
Musketeer - 1 points profession military
Landsman - 1 points profession sailor
Armsman - 1 points Knowledge Nobility
Guildman - 1 points Knowledge Guilds
which reflects the origin of your knowledge...for example if you learned weapons from someone either in or formerly conncected to the military you'd be a Muskateer and get 1 points in being a professional solider so you can identify rank insignia...known the difference between a corporal and a Colonel...et
Based on your background I suggest
3 points profession military
2 points Knowledge Nobility

But I leave it to you to decide how to spread them out...

Equipment
Pepperboxes apparently fail the 17th century rule as they tended not to be known before 1790's but multi-barrels weapons do exist...
(That and the pepperbox does the same damage as a pistol but the bullet is smaller so even at the same speed the damage would be much less per round...dah...)

So rather than the pepperbox I will allow the following do exist:

A three shot capacity pepperbox or

Mathias Breech Pistol (Considered Masterwork)
The Mathias Breech Pistol -Yeah but I saw this and thought it was a lot damn cooler...
The most advanced weapon yet actually created it is said that one must order one to be made when a child is born for him to receive it when he become a man from the most singular and expensive gunsmith in the known world. It is unique in that the weapon has specially made 'block cartridges' that contain both a pocket for each bullet as well as a flash pan.
Range 40 ft
Damage 1d8+1
Capacity - The player can load in as many block cartridges as a free action that remain loaded player can take full BAB for each shot fired (does not remove rapid shot -2 penalty)
Reloading - each block cartridge must be reloaded starting as a standard action and can be reduced
Crit x4
Misfilre 1 dmg 10 ft
Weight 8 lbs -gun each block cartridge 1 lbs
Cost 5,000g for weapon and one block cartridge
200g for each additional block cartridge -(note not consumable but must reloaded with shot and powder before reuse)

Oh and I guess he could be the 'leader' of one of the specialized companies of the First Imperial Rifles realizing that he'd never have gotten to the rank of Colonel...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Quarg wrote: You also an additional five points that can only be 'used' under the following rule:

Code: Select all

Take the Gunslinger Class
Gunslingers gets one additional 'skill point' beyond the 4+Int which they must apply to one of the following:
Musketeer - 1 points profession military
Landsman - 1 points profession sailor
Armsman - 1 points Knowledge Nobility
Guildman - 1 points Knowledge Guilds
which reflects the origin of your knowledge...for example if you learned weapons from someone either in or formerly conncected to the military you'd be a Muskateer and get 1 points in being a professional solider so you can identify rank insignia...known the difference between a corporal and a Colonel...et
Based on your background I suggest
3 points profession military
2 points Knowledge Nobility
Definitely not nobility. I thought I only got an extra 1 point, why an extra 5?

And that firearm sounds a little too rare and fancy for me. Might just go with flintlock pistols and add some buffs to them.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I thought he spent his early years working as an assassin for nobles???

Yeah, realized it should be one point per level as a Gunslinger...

I was also going to screw around with a tribarrel design but eh now your character has something to OOOh over...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Good point, he was a gun for hire in the company of nobles and royalty. I like your allocation so will go with that then.
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

For clarification, with the offered dual weapon, I could have it constructed of separate special materials, yes? Ie mithril + dark wood, for example?
But it'd be single shot only? So I'd have a choice between moving or getting to shoot each turn.. I suppose the single shot crossbow being heavier hitting is pretty on point anyway, since repeating crossbows typically are less powerful than their single shot counterparts in the real world.

Does a bog standard, lower damage as per PHB repeating heavy crossbow still exist then? If so I'd rather be able to keep moving and shooting, and I'll just get a light offhand to attack with if something comes at me in melee.
Otherwise I'm pretty screwed until I can get crossbow master, and feat wise that won't be for a while, since I need rapid shot first.

I'll do an inventory write up I can post here as soon as I get this spreadsheet finished up.

Do I need to run traits by you ahead of time, or should I finish writing that up and just post all at once?