OOC Thread for Fallout: Settlers

spiderwrangler
Game Master

OOC Thread for Fallout: Settlers

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Re: Interest/Recruitment Thread for Fallout: Settlers

Post by Quarg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:07 am

Jimmy read the letter again and then looked up at his parent...

"Mom what is Vault Tech and why do they want to stick me in a vault?"

Elizabeth Montrose looked up from the field map sprawled across her library table and held out her hand. "What are you talking about?"

Elizabeth Montrose read it and peered over the top at her eight year old son. "God damn it...who do these people think they are?" she asked out loud.

Turning to the wall she dialed a number on the vid screen and waited for someone else to answer...

The picture when from the standard blue "Dialing" screen to that of a tall man in a uniform with brown hair and grey eyes. His eyes went wide looking at Elizabeth Montrose, he went slightly white as he suddenly went to attention and saluted "Ah, General Montrose Ma'm, how can the 16th Intelligence Squadron be of service today?"
"I want an answer of who the hell is Vault-Tec and why they want my eight year old son to report to be locked in a Vault..."
She waves the paper in front of the vid screen and growls at him
"Ma'm?"
"What?"
"Ah shouldn't you perhaps ask James Senior about this rather than..."
"I consider this a breach of security Lieutenant...and James Senior is somewhere under a few million square miles of ocean, so getting a communication link to him is not going to be happening anytime soon..."
"Yes ma'm...we'll get a briefing on this up to you ASAP..."
The General began to pace and enumerate items on her list using her fingers
"I want to know who Vault-Tec is...
their mission...
what this Vault 50 facility is...
Why they think people should go hide under a Lake in Ohio...
And why they think either Jimmy here or James is a suitable candidate for their mission.
I want to fully understand the rules of whatever game their playing..."
"Yes, Ma'm"
"Now then, Lieutenant I will leave the 16th on their mission...I want a status update on the briefing at 1600 hours is that understood?"
"Yes, Ma'm"
"Good then, I need to get back to reviewing this damn court martial case...Montrose out"
The pair exchanged salutes and the General strode back over to her library table.

Jimmy stood there and looked at his mother, dressed in the funny pajama like uniform with the green star. He knew she was busy...she was always busy...he turned and walked slowly into the hall to put on his jacket and go outside to see if Emma could come out and play. They had gotten into trouble when they had snuck into the old court room and re-enacted the Lincoln Assassination Trial...of course Emma wanted to put them all on the rack, but then she was the great grand daughter of William V and tended to be that way...she was always trying to get the redcoats to win the American Revolution.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:54 am

As the vid screen went dark, Lieutenant Johnson cradled his forehead in his hand and sighed. Either she was fucking with him, or the General is so caught up in her work that she has completely missed all of the Vault-Tec advertisements and public service announcements. They'd been building the Vaults for the last twenty plus years on behalf of the American government, there's no way she could have missed that, could she? Maybe she was testing him? Ever since the Resource Wars in the mid 2050's, they'd been building Vaults to house people in the event of nuclear or biological war, surely as a General she must be aware of that... so it must be some sort of test. Things had only been getting more and more precarious in the last year after America annexed Canada and finally pushed China out of Alaska. Hopefully after beating the Chinese back things would start calming down, but being on the short list for entry into one of the limited number of Vaults was certainly a good thing if it came to war. Perhaps she wanted him to look into Vault 50 in particular?

He'd have to find a tactful way to respond to the General's question of "Who is Vault-Tec?", without sounding like he was being condescending, but for now he moves to a computer terminal and looks up what he can on Vault 50. Hmmm... Vault construction was begun in early 2072 after the dam holding Buckeye Lake broke and drained the lake. Instead of just rebuilding the dam, the lake bed was excavated and a Vault was constructed underneath before the dam was rebuilt and the lake was reflooded in July 2076, final interior construction of the Vault finished in August 2077. From the Vault-Tec application documents, it appears that they have high intelligence standards for any potential dwellers... if she really doesn't even know who Vault-Tec is, the General probably isn't going to make the cut... no, no... thinking like that is a sure way to get in trouble. Still, if she didn't fill out the application, her husband must have, and not told her... stepping into marital drama is not a good way to stay on superior officer's good sides. If her husband submitted the application, was he just trying to keep his family safe, or was he trying to leave her behind if the worst should happen?

He prints out the information on Vault 50 and leaves a note to contact General Montrose at 1600 hours. He kind of felt bad pushing the duty off on a subordinate, but he had no desire to have to be the one to talk to her... and he was feeling a little sick... yeah, sick. He'd better take the rest of the day off to recuperate.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:47 pm

Well, I feel like Quarg should get some sort of prize for being the only one brave enough to post without any other context provided. ;)

Here's the deal.

Fallout: Settlers
This game will be set in the Fallout Universe, and gameplay will be styled on the voting based CIV games. Voting will be open to all forum members, and the players will be taking the role of guiding Vault 50 survivors as they navigate emerging from their subterranean existence and begin trying to establish themselves above ground. Voting will direct their efforts in addressing the concerns of food, water, protection, shelter, exploration, scavenging, research, and everything else that is necessary to stay alive.

Mechanics:
At its core, a variety of options will be presented that will address the current needs of your dwellers. You'll vote on them, and based on voting, the efforts of the dwellers will be allocated to those tasks. The more votes a task receives, the higher a priority it becomes, and the more the dwellers focus on it during the subsequent turn. Each turn will represent 3 months, at the end of which another set of options will be presented for voting by you the players. Provided your dwellers survive that long, months will pass into years, and dwellers will die, as new dwellers are born. Your challenge will be to see to their needs and help them overcome the dangers of living in the Fallout world.

(There is, of course, much more planned, but what is the fun in knowing EVERYTHING up front?)

GMs:
This is game will be GM'd as a collaborative effort between myself and BadgeAddict. While our duties as a two-headed monster (BadgeWrangler? SpiderAddict?) will overlap, I will be focusing primarily on the guts of the game behind the scenes, while Badge will be doing story primarily.

When:
We are shooting for a start date sometime in the near future, once the GAL 8 quest I am running wraps up.

But wait, you say... this sounds cool and all, but I have some other questions. Fine. Go ahead and ask them! :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 pm

And not to worry young child dragons, I will have plenty of time for both. I just hope I don't get mixed up and start mixing worlds together... ;)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:43 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:SpiderAddict
That might be the worst combination of your usernames....

I hope I have time to follow it and vote on stuff :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Theis2 wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:SpiderAddict
That might be the worst combination of your usernames....

I hope I have time to follow it and vote on stuff :P

Worst? Or BEST?!

I hope you do too, but given the vote based structure, it would be possible for new people to join in at any time, and if RL gets in the way, missing a few updates won't be the worst thing in the world.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:04 am

color me interested.

Best of luck and lots of fun to Spideraddict (I think that's a cool combo!)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:22 am

I should mention, for anyone who is interested in the concept, but not familiar with Fallout, that deep knowledge of the franchise is not a prerequisite for being involved in the game! There is much more detailed write ups on line that can fill you in more if you'd like, but essentially Fallout occurs in a divergent timeline from our own. Following WWII, nuclear energy became the dominant energy source, and the design aesthetic by the time of 2077 is how the future was often envisioned in our timeline at the dawn of the Nuclear Age. Sort of a 1950's Americana, but futuristic... robot butlers, big curvy cars with tailfins... and nuclear generators, etc. Global politics become tense as resources become limited, eventually resulting in China invading Alaska, the United States annexing Canada, then driving the Chinese back... and then on October 23, 2077, China, the United States and the USSR all launched nuclear payloads at one another, resulting in global devastation.

Leading up to this, Vault-Tec Corporation had been building underground shelters that could house a thousand individuals each. Space is limited, so most Vault Dwellers are carefully selected for entry in the even that shelter was needed. However, Vault-Tec is essentially THE definition of a corporation that puts on a good front and is evil and without ethics. Almost each of the Vaults is essentially a research facility where they experiment on human subjects. There are a few vaults where they didn't mess with the dwellers to an appreciable degree, but most of them are manipulated and experimented on in a wide array of biological, sociological and psychological experiments. I won't mention known Vault experiments here, if you've played the games, you are familiar with some of them, if you haven't, I'll leave it up to you whether you want to look into that or not.

It's yet to be seen what, if any experiment is going on in Vault 50... :paranoia:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:43 am

Ah cool, sounds good :) I can't commit to another in-depth game at the minute, but if it's a bit more casual then that should be grand. I'll not be around much for the next 2-3 weeks cos of the emigration and shit, but once I've found my feet sorted I should be back to participating like normal.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 am

It might be 2-3 weeks for something like this to start, as Spider would like to finish up his GAL quest first...A man can only be stretched so thin.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:29 am

Or GAL 8 may continue for another 3 months. At this point I don't try to predict anymore. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:46 am

:lol: Whatever dude, right now I've got so little time for running any of my own games in here I'm more than happy for you to carry on the GAL for me until my life settles back down again :)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Does this quest require much reading, or will it have rather short updates? GAL and Castle Heterodyne are pretty long already... but I am interested . :D
:zzz:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:18 pm

I would love to join, but I'm already in so many and still want to get back to CoA!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Nerre wrote:Does this quest require much reading, or will it have rather short updates? GAL and Castle Heterodyne are pretty long already... but I am interested . :D
That would tend to be more Badge's domain, as he will be providing the main narrative, I would imagine it would vary with how the vote goes each round, and what you choose to have the dwellers do.
Synch wrote:I would love to join, but I'm already in so many and still want to get back to CoA!
Well, hopefully once it starts it's here for a while and you (and others) are welcome to pop in and out as life allows (though of course we want you to come and stay long term!)....(also, YAY! COA!).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:36 am

So, although I would like the story to be expansive, I always felt lost when I tried playing Aegis's games a few weeks after it had started, or when I missed a week and I think a lot of people stopped coming around and voting because they didn't want to read 20,000 words in order to catch up.

So, I haven't thought it through all the way yet, but I think I will either have somewhat of a shorter update, or at the very least, create a summary of the actions of each update so that someone coming through later could read those and pick up on generally what happened.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 am

Then I want to try it out. :D
:zzz:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 am

I've never tried this type of game, but am interested.

And purely for selfish reasons, don't let Synch in until he restarts COA. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 am

awesome!
► Show Spoiler

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:20 pm

After Coming back to the forum after over two years... Well... This is actually the first thread I read. Can I still join in ? ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Certainly! An update just went up today!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:38 am

Welcome back to the forums! :)
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Hmm...well I posted an action...but likely not the complete 1/4 of the year action people were hoping for...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr