Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

willpell
Banned

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Which is one reason I like Prestige Rangers, since they will likely get either druid or cleric spells.
I'm fond of the Prestige Paladin, though I haven't instituted it; it does seem as though paladinhood ought to need to be earned in at least many cases, although I don't like that the prereqs lock you into the mounted combat style as hard as they do, plus you lose out on BAB and gain access to some less-than-fitting Cleric spells. Still, in general I tend to like the concept. The Ranger, though...I don't feel like being a half-druid really suits the ranger's feel. In fact, I've done spell-less rangers several times, because to me the whole point of a ranger is Favored Enemy (or possibly Favored Environment), and adding spells seems distracting. Since it's generally agreed that the Druid is overpowered for getting spellcasting, Wild Shape, and an immensely powerful Animal Companion, I can see a good argument for switching the companions of the Druid and Ranger; the Ranger's would be more powerful, but the Druid could buff his with spells. It's all speculation for now though.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 pm

willpell wrote:Summon Swarm is a Druid spell, I'd be willing to allow you to have it replace SNA 2 on your spell list. The use of separate lists for druids and rangers has always annoyed me more than a little; why even bother giving the ranger his own list when he's going to just be a sucky druid anyway? They could have just said "rangers cast druid spells at half level" and saved themselves a lot of text.
Sounds good to me! Thanks Pell!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Okay.
So I'm still definitely wanting improved grapple (have you decided to definitely combine the two, or? The prereq isn't terrible, as a feat, though it's not uber powerful, either. Thematically it fits, since I'd be improving the favored "weapon" of his deity.)

For other feats I've narrowed it down...a little. Some I'm more interested in than others. ...and oops there's lots of divine.

Protection devotion
Goad (useful for saving squishies!)
Daunting presence (...eh it amused me for reasons of "OH GOD GIANT FUZZY WALL OF SCARY" but it comes from Libris Mortis, so prolly no. This could be RPed anyway.)
Good devotion
Healing devotion
Combat brute (eh...interesting but so many pre-reqs, and I'm not as keen on this as other things.)
Hostile mind (...only useful if we'll be seeing a lot of psionic stuff, but seems fitting for someone "devout" to be resistant to attempts to effect his mind.)
Open Minded (...this is nice for reasons of adding fluff. I love it on every character ever. It also amuses me being juxtaposed with the last on the list.)
Negotiator (fits his personality well, fits fluff.)
Stigmata (and nimbus pre-req isn't bad at all, but it amuses me. HEY GUYS IT'S COOL, NIGHT LIGHTS ARE TRUSTWORTHY. I really like Stigmata, though. A LOT. But this gets in to divine territory again.)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

Ayeaka wrote:Okay.
So I'm still definitely wanting improved grapple (have you decided to definitely combine the two, or? The prereq isn't terrible, as a feat, though it's not uber powerful, either. Thematically it fits, since I'd be improving the favored "weapon" of his deity.)
Yeah, you can just have IUS for free.
Goad (useful for saving squishies!)
Quasi-useful.
Daunting presence (...eh it amused me for reasons of "OH GOD GIANT FUZZY WALL OF SCARY" but it comes from Libris Mortis, so prolly no. This could be RPed anyway.)
Not familiar with this one offhand.
Protection devotion
Good devotion
Healing devotion
All of these are fitting, but especially the first, since it goes with both bear and paladin.
Combat brute (eh...interesting but so many pre-reqs, and I'm not as keen on this as other things.)
Don't know it. Is it a Tactical feat? I've yet been unable to wrap my brain around those.
Hostile mind (...only useful if we'll be seeing a lot of psionic stuff, but seems fitting for someone "devout" to be resistant to attempts to effect his mind.)
I wouldn't encourage this unless it's extremely fitting to your personality. Psionics is slightly less common than magic and slightly more common than incarnum, binding, truenaming and so forth in my game; it might come up in, at a guess, 1/8 of battles on average, though you could bring that number up by specifically seeking out things like Mind Flayers or the rumors of a desert kingdom ruled over by mantis-men.
Open Minded (...this is nice for reasons of adding fluff. I love it on every character ever. It also amuses me being juxtaposed with the last on the list.)
Frankly that one's not a feat at all, just a way to gain more skill points at the expense of feats. It's always allowed, but not a great use of the slot.
Negotiator (fits his personality well, fits fluff.)
These +2/+2 skill feats are universally reviled as incredibly weak for the cost of a feat slot. Unless you need them as a PrC prereq, or are trying so hard to maximize a Skill that you've already got the Skill Focus, masterwork tool, +5 competence item, maybe an Item Familiar, +6 item to the relevant attribute, an inherent bonus if you can afford to buy five Wishes, and you *still* need another +2...they're pretty much never used. In the Feat Points system they go for like 1/5 the price of a normal feat.
Stigmata (and nimbus pre-req isn't bad at all, but it amuses me. HEY GUYS IT'S COOL, NIGHT LIGHTS ARE TRUSTWORTHY. I really like Stigmata, though. A LOT. But this gets in to divine territory again.)
Seems off-theme for your character, and once again Exalted feats are by GM permission only. If you're a Barbarian and you want Righteous Wrath so you don't kill bystanders, I won't put up much of a fight, but for the fancy Exalted feats like Vows or Stigmata or Touch of Golden Ice, I'm always gonna make the player earn them through quests and RP.

I say definitely go for Protection Devotion, but otherwise none of these seem terribly apt. Alas, you don't even yet qualify for Extra Turning since you can't turn undead yet, so there's no gaining extra uses of Protection Devotion that way...though you could just take the feat multiple times for extra daily uses. Dunno if that'd be useful or not, I forget what exactly it does (though it's better than the actual domain, that's for sure).
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 am

I'm fond of a lot of the devotion feats, come to think.

Protection devotion
Once per day as an immediate action, you can activate a protective aura. While it is active, you gain a +2 sacred (if your deity is good or neutral) or profane (if your deity is evil) bonus to AC, as does every ally within 30 feet of you. This bonus increases by 1 for every four character levels you possess (maximum +7 at 20th level). This effect lasts for 1 minute.

Healing devotion
Once per day, you can gain fast healing 1, +1 for every five character levels you possess (maximum fast healing 5 at 20th level). This effect lasts for 1 minute. You can activate this feat as an immediate action or, if you have a daily available, it automatically activates if you are reduced to 0 hit points or below (but not killed).

As a full-round action, you can transfer this ability to a willing recipient as a touch spell. Doing so counts as one daily use of the ability. You can select this feat multiple times, gaining one additional daily use each time you take it. If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each daily turn or rebuke use you expend

Good devotion
Once per day as an immediate action, you can surround yourself with an aura of good that grants you and each of your allies within 30 feet damage reduction that can be overcome only by evil-aligned weapons. The numeric value of this damage reduction is 1 + l/five character levels you possess (maximum 5/evil at 20th level). In addition, your and your allies' natural and weapon attacks are good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. This effect lasts for 1 minute.

Willpell wrote:Don't know it. Is it a Tactical feat? I've yet been unable to wrap my brain around those.
Combat brute adds good battle utility but has about five million prereqstwo feat prereqs and a base attack prereq and is admittedly better suited for making fighters less boring. I find fighters boring, at least. I think at that point I was just looking at everything that added utility.

Combat brute
The Combat Brute feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers.
Advancing Blows: To use this maneuver, you must make a successful bull rush attempt against a foe. During the next round, all your attacks against that foe gain a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls for each square your bull rush moved that foe. For example, if you pushed an orc back 10 (2 squares) feet with a bull rush, you would gain a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls against that orc on the following round.
Sundering Cleave: To use this maneuver, you must destroy a foe's weapon or shield with a successful sunder attempt (see page 158 of the Player's Handbook). If you do so, you gain an immediate additional melee attack against the foe. The additional attack is with the same weapon and at the same attack bonus as the attack that destroyed the weapon or shield.
Momentum Swing: To use this maneuver, you must charge a foe in the first round, and you must make an attack using your Power Attack feat in the second round. The penalty you take on your attack roll must be -5 or worse. Your attacks during the second round gain a bonus equal to your attack roll penalty x 1-1/2, or x 3 if you're using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands. For instance, if you choose to take a -6 penalty on your attack roll, you can deal an extra 9 points of damage, or an extra 18 points if you're using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands.

Willpell wrote:Not familiar with this one offhand
It's really meant for undead, but was one that amused me more than being super useful...and is apparently also applicable as a fighter bonus feat. Huh. When I read the feat I was thinking more of him shifting in to hybrid or bear form and just....roaring, and the feat being used.
Daunting presence
You may take a standard action to awe an opponent. The opponent must be within 30 feet, have line of sight to you, and have an Intelligence score. If the opponent fails a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifi er), it is shaken for 10 minutes. This feat has no effect on a creature that is already shaken.
Like I said, while I could see arguing it for a nearly 12 foot tall wall of fur and scariness, this could just be role played.

Hostile mind really isn't worth taking at all without lots of psions wandering about haha, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Looks a definite no.

Stigmata I'd be very willing to work toward. It's potential usage is entirely too amazing, and while I'll admit it didn't quite scream Rían at me, it's not out of line with his personality either, or the deity he serves. He's very much the type to take on another's burdens as his own when he can, and taking on another's pain to heal them doesn't seem horribly out of character. I can definitely understand making me jump through hoops for that one, and welcome it.

Ah, for Phieran in general. As a Demi-god, he's not given much, outside of the one paragraph he's given in Exalted Deeds, and the spells he's given, so I don't have much fluff to go on. More developed deities have rituals, holidays, important texts, methods of worship, sects, etc. Since he's so similar to Ilmater I've just been assuming whatever I don't know is nigh identical...if that's okay.
I do have a question/request though; the symbol he uses is Ilmater's old symbol (the rack) but I'm admittedly very fond of the red cord bound hands Ilmater has now. Since that's just fluff and doesn't impact balance any, may I assume that a cord binding a wrist to signify a follower is applicable for Phieran as well? I'm just very fond of the visual symbolism.
Last edited by Amara on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay, Vualn has been revised and brought up to L7 (with ECL9 wealth). Primary changes are as follows:
*The base stats were changed, as stated earlier.
*Skill Focus (Concentration) was dropped, replaced with the Retributive Spell Metamagic feat. He also gained Arcane Strike.
*Spells were reorganized a bit, with short descriptions and information added. For the either-or SLAs, he took Glitterdust, Enthrall, and Suggestion (he's definitely going for the darker powers here).
*Skills were increased. Vualn now has so much concentration that he can auto-succeed on defensively casting any spell lower than third level. 8)
*His armor upgraded from a Mithral Chain Shirt +2 to a Mithral Breastplate +2 (which, unless I've missed something, counts as light thanks to mithral and won't interfere with spellcasting). In addition, he now has a Cloak of Charisma +2, along with a Ring of Protection +1 to boost his AC further.
*Vualn's snake has had its stats changed to reflect Vualn's level. In addition, a note about Armor Penalties has been added, along with a short note on the snake itself (it's not very remarkable, other than being orange).
► Show Spoiler
Any remaining thoughts or errors on the sheet?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Amara wrote:I'm fond of a lot of the devotion feats, come to think.
No need to break IP law on my behalf (although I do approve of people who do it for any good reason; I just don't have the need in this case). I have access to Complete Champion and have reviewed the Devotion feats extensively. I even sort of homebrewed two new ones - it bugged me that Law and Chaos devotion don't function the same as Evil and Good (in my campaign, I try to make it clear that the two axes are of equal cosmic importance, contrary to how the game often portrays them with items like the Horn of Goodness/Evil or the Robes of the Archmagi, and details like Paladins having Detect Evil but not Detect Chaos). Thusly, the as-printed Law Devotion is renamed Perfection Devotion, and Chaos is renamed Possibility. For the moment they're still associated with the Law and Chaos domains, since making new domains is a tall order and I'm not sure I even have room in my campaign's roster to add more.
I find fighters boring, at least.
Fighters don't quite bore me yet, despite my having made a set of eight of them for a battle not long ago. They're not as exciting as wizards or psions, but they beat the pants off of rogues and barbarians and even paladins for variety, IMO. They could do with a bit of jazzing up, but overall I still consider them a decent class.
It's really meant for undead, but was one that amused me more than being super useful...and is apparently also applicable as a fighter bonus feat. Huh. When I read the feat I was thinking more of him shifting in to hybrid or bear form and just....roaring, and the feat being used.
Like I said, while I could see arguing it for a nearly 12 foot tall wall of fur and scariness, this could just be role played.
Actually I'd say this one fits nicely. While certainly villagers and such might roleplay being scared, it'd be the kind of scared that makes them more determined to defend themselves, unless you take this feat to indicate that it's even scarier than that and can completely rattle their resolve with unadulterated terror.
Hostile mind really isn't worth taking at all without lots of psions wandering about haha, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Looks a definite no.
It could be fitting for other characters, but doesn't seem especially so for you. You can always revisit it after meeting up with an Illithid Hunter or something in-game.
I can definitely understand making me jump through hoops for that one, and welcome it.
That's what a True Roleplayer GM likes to hear. o:)
Ah, for Phieran in general. As a Demi-god, he's not given much, outside of the one paragraph he's given in Exalted Deeds, and the spells he's given, so I don't have much fluff to go on. More developed deities have rituals, holidays, important texts, methods of worship, sects, etc. Since he's so similar to Ilmater I've just been assuming whatever I don't know is nigh identical...if that's okay.
It'll do for now. I'll try to make sure you meet some priests of his in-game so you can get an idea of how I see him (not being familiar with Ilmater, I'll just be making up what I think fits the description). I'm not normally big on the level of detail they include in books like Complete Divine, though; I tend to find it more restrictive than helpful to be told what sort of things I'm "supposed" to do with a given deity or similar starting point.
I do have a question/request though; the symbol he uses is Ilmater's old symbol (the rack) but I'm admittedly very fond of the red cord bound hands Ilmater has now. Since that's just fluff and doesn't impact balance any, may I assume that a cord binding a wrist to signify a follower is applicable for Phieran as well? I'm just very fond of the visual symbolism.
Sure, whatever floats your boat. Symbolism does matter in my game, but not in a One True kind of way; there're always multiple ways of making any point which deserves to be made.
Nioca wrote: --Retributive Spell
Hrm. Well I'd be lying if I said swapping that in made me happier, but Skill Focus: Concentration isn't exactly strong, so I can't blame you too much, and I guess a metamagic feat is a valid choice even if it annoys me. Just be sure you tell me what spell you cast this way before breaking camp every morning.
RANGES: Close 35ft [25ft+5/2Levels] | Medium 170ft [100ft+10/Level] | Long 680ft [400ft+40/Level]
This can vary by spell if you get effects that increase or reduce your caster level for certain spells, just FYI. When I'm doing my writeups, I put the ranges in every spell individually. Though I can't blame you if you'd rather save a bit of work.
Any remaining thoughts or errors on the sheet?
Not that I can see at the moment, no. So I believe you, Celine, and possibly SpiderWrangler have completed sheets now? And Amara is close, and I'm still not sure if Feytala wants in on such a high-level campaign. So I should definitely have the campaign up soon. I've been trying to get started for two days but I'm so busy (doing squat-all, but lots and lots of it). Still, keep your ears peeled; the ideas are flowing and I'm bound to get something together eventually.
My long-neglected blog.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 am

*breathes deeply* To answer the question... I think... No. The start is to high level for me feeling good with it (It somehow startet with "about level 5", got to 7 and now at least one player is at level 9...) No, sorry... And not having a world I can work with is also difficult for me... I am a player that tends to read the Background-Book from first to last page before creating a character... Also, well... Let me say, I like racism and bigottery in fantasy-settings. The whole point of playing a Tiefling, Aasimar, Drow... Is for me that you are handled OTHER (mostly worse, but at least biased) than a human... Also I am still overwhelmed by the material. I think I could built a character at level 5, but the more levels it gets, the more complicated it does, too... And I am not terribly fond of being the Low-Level-sidekick either... So... As much as I think that you guys are cool and as much as I love a GM that actually posts as often as willpell... I have long thought about it. For a more or less "First-time-for-real"-D&D-player, you start to high-level for me, when combined with a "to" open world for my taste. I will likely follow your game and maybe (Definetly with Celine ;) ) we'll see each other in another game. :)

Damn, I was looking forward to a real game...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 am

willpell wrote:
When I read the feat I was thinking more of him shifting in to hybrid or bear form and just....roaring, and the feat being used.
Actually I'd say this one fits nicely. While certainly villagers and such might roleplay being scared, it'd be the kind of scared that makes them more determined to defend themselves, unless you take this feat to indicate that it's even scarier than that and can completely rattle their resolve with unadulterated terror.
HAHA.... you're gonna make my tiny little spider companion look downright cuddly! :lol:
So I believe you, Celine, and possibly SpiderWrangler have completed sheets now?
Close, but the next few days aren't going to give me much time to work on it. I've got physical description, abilities, decent idea what I want to do for feats and equipment, but need to finalize and add up equip, need to punch in numbers for skills, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 am

Feytala wrote:Damn, I was looking forward to a real game...
Okay...I'm still up for running a second, lower-level game for you if you're interested, but meanwhile I'll start up the main camp for the other four and you can lurk for a while, see how I "roll".
My long-neglected blog.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 am

Fine with me :) Then I can see how it goes and a second game sounds great. How I know the forum, you'll not be short on applicants for that.^^

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 am

Willpell wrote:Fighters don't quite bore me yet, despite my having made a set of eight of them for a battle not long ago. They're not as exciting as wizards or psions, but they beat the pants off of rogues and barbarians and even paladins for variety, IMO. They could do with a bit of jazzing up, but overall I still consider them a decent class.
Fighters are definitely versatile. I'm not sure what it is about them, though. I find skill monkeys interesting, so I'll likely never tire of bards or rogues. Paladins, I love their progression by level. Class specific skills help make things interesting to me. I actually find clerics a bit dull as well, though I've played several. I wish the individual casters had more level specific progression outside of their spell list.

Willpell wrote:Actually I'd say this one fits nicely. While certainly villagers and such might roleplay being scared, it'd be the kind of scared that makes them more determined to defend themselves, unless you take this feat to indicate that it's even scarier than that and can completely rattle their resolve with unadulterated terror.
Mhm. Well, it fits whenever anyone manages to anger him. Rían SHOULD be terrifying when angry. ....but the majority of the time he's more likely to be an oversized teddy bear than an angry wall of teeth and claws. He's ordinarily quite an amiable fellow.
spiderwrangler wrote:HAHA.... you're gonna make my tiny little spider companion look downright cuddly!
aww, he can do cuddly! (I swear this one is not another spider.)
Willpell wrote: It'll do for now. I'll try to make sure you meet some priests of his in-game so you can get an idea of how I see him (not being familiar with Ilmater, I'll just be making up what I think fits the description). I'm not normally big on the level of detail they include in books like Complete Divine, though; I tend to find it more restrictive than helpful to be told what sort of things I'm "supposed" to do with a given deity or similar starting point.

Sure, whatever floats your boat. Symbolism does matter in my game, but not in a One True kind of way; there're always multiple ways of making any point which deserves to be made.
Mhm, alright. As for Ilmater....erm. Well, his alignment has been changed now, along with his domains. Forgot about that. I think the amount of fluff for him is nice. It fills him out, gets an idea of him, but doesn't seem overbearing.
What probably endeared me to him the most though
wiki wrote:Ilmater does not get angry easily, but when he does, he is fearsome. He is angered by cruelty and those who inflict suffering, particularly upon children and young creatures in general. He is quiet with a good sense of humour and likes to hear stories containing humour.
so Phieran is definitely a good alternate choice, mechanically as well as for personality given. I'd welcome running in to related npcs early.
I pulled the healers mentality from Ilmater for Rían's backstory, but Phieran seems to embody the same things, so I figured it fit.

Hnm so feats so far...
Improved unarmed strike + improved grapple
Daunting Presence
MAYBE Goad

That'd leave 2-3. ...I could just take devotion feats from there, if you're okay with that. I'd like to at least start with protection or healing, if possible, since Rían did grow up among the temple healers.

Man, every time I try to sit down to do things life goes NOPE YOU HAVE UNI. But today is the last psych event I have to help plan and do (I'm sitting in it as we speak,) and I'll be online all day today.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

Characters are allowed only two Devotion feats unless they're clerics. Protection and Healing will do, I think.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Alright, fair enough. I may be about done then.

Okay... 3.5 doesn't seem to have the shifting feat that earlier editions did. Could we adapt fast wild shape? I'd still need to roll, but the mechanics are pretty simple.
"You gain the ability to use wild shape as a move equivalent action." (rather than as a standard action)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I think I'd like you to take a pass on that one for now.

PS: Celine PMed me that she'll be unable to join us, so we're down to a party of 3. If I was discouraging anyone from taking healing because it would be redundant, my opinion has just been adjusted.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I guess I'll run with goad/daunting presence for my last two, urk.

Well, now I only need to figure out items. Otherwise I'm set. I'll edit this to type my sheet as is in unless someone responds before I can...else I'll post it in reply. :b (just want it known I've not vanished. Ahah been a bit overwhelmed with life, but I'll whinge about that elsewhere.)

Actually; what's your general opinion of feats intended to scale with ranks in a skill, and if I link to something homebrew/had an idea would you be willing to work it out with me? (Assuming of course it's fitting, not overpowered, etc) Daunting presence is fitting for a bear in general...yes, and could potentially be nice, but I'd rather something that fits Rían as a character while still having good use later, if possible. (Alternately, goad becomes less useful with fewer squishies to protect, but I can see daunting presence being used in a protective fashion, and while Goad's nice MECHANICALLY, there's no logical reason why I couldn't just scream at someone in combat to draw their attention regardless.)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm very hesitant to allow homebrew. I can consider it, but don't expect a green light to be more than, say, 40% likely.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 pm

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Natural_Empath_(3.5e_Feat)
I found this, and i"m not sure how workable it would be at all, but it looks nice. (actually hm, even with 9 levels of a single class, max ranks would be 12 in a skill, so that's not too bad on second look.) It seems to fit better with Ryan than...the feat-related ability to scream and taunt people and draw their attention. If there's any way of making something like this/something similar workable, I'd be interested.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 am

Link doesn't work.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 am

willpell wrote:Link doesn't work.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:16 am

Yeah, this has the effect of at least two feats built into it, and more stuff at high levels which would just be a pain in the rear to keep track of. I must decline. If you want to take one of the two feats in question (Skill Focus: Sense Motive and I forget what the other one is called, it's in Complete Adventurer and I'll look it up if interested, but it basically does what clause 2 of this one does), instead of Goad or Daunting Presence, that'll be fine.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:46 pm

What was the other feat? I can start digging through complete adventurer myself, but I don't remember seeing much related to sense motive/empathy in general. (...of the non-psionic sort, at least.) Well, there's Alertness, but that's from PH2.

I also think I remember you saying you'd allow traits/flaws, but I don't remember how far back that line of conversation would have been. Am I mistaken? (I was going to go with stout and -maybe- polite. I like easy going, but not so much how it impacts sense motive for some reason. Taking a hit to intimidate makes sense.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 am

I'm working through putting together my items, anything we should avoid or restrict? Or just figure that anything is fair game?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 am

Ayeaka wrote:What was the other feat?
COMBAT INTUITION - page 106.
I also think I remember you saying you'd allow traits/flaws, but I don't remember how far back that line of conversation would have been. Am I mistaken? (I was going to go with stout and -maybe- polite. I like easy going, but not so much how it impacts sense motive for some reason. Taking a hit to intimidate makes sense.)
Sure, Traits are just extra bits you can tack on. Flaws are allowed as long as you don't use them to get a single feat chain that would have been impossible to get at your level without Flaws.
spiderwrangler wrote:I'm working through putting together my items, anything we should avoid or restrict? Or just figure that anything is fair game?
I exercise veto power over all item selections. There are no guidelines, since I don't really know what I'm comfortable with until it comes up. As an example, the Bag of Tricks is disproportionately difficult to deal with compared to how useful it is, so I would discourage that one. Sticking to simple things like Rings of Protection and Belts of Giant Strength is preferred, but you can get away with a fair bit more than that, with minimal grumbling from me.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:16 pm

willpell wrote: you can get away with a fair bit more than that, with minimal grumbling from me.
Alright, I'll just make an item build and submit it and go from there.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler