Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by Amara » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

I made an actual sheet since it's easier for me to figure out stats that way. I'm going over items and buying them now. I'll post a text/forum version of the sheet once it's complete, if that's alright?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Sounds good, both of you. I'm still doing poorly at constructing your intro story; I have vague ideas of a location and possible long-term plotlines, but in the short term I might just be kinda dumping you in a sandbox to interact with whatever happens to occur to me, until I have more of an idea what to do in the moment.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 am

I'm actually getting stuck pretty hard on armor.
Typical image of a paladin - plate of course...but with so much geared toward grappling, something less encumbering might be nice ....alternately, mithril. (oh boy another +9k) :b I'm waffling on exact type or what to really do here. The main issue is...being a shifter.
Now there is 'wild' (which is 9k/+3) but that's meant to be for wild shape, which an alternate shape is quite a bit different to.
There's also shapeshifter's armor but that's...epic level hide armor (meant for use with polymorph, shapechange and the like,) and it is rather ridiculous to even consider. Also impossible, at 200k. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any other options to take, save...getting armor that's very, very easily removed, and that would mean lots of the party getting to deal with a naked Rían trying to re-dress himself after shifting back. Oh boy. Amusing though that is, it's not very practical.

If such an enchantment does not exist, (and I SWEAR there must be something more feasible that I'm not finding,) what would you consider a fair price? Wild is considered a +3 with a respective cost of 9k, which seems rather fair for what you get, but a were's shifting is, of course, different. Only other thing I can think of is wilding clasps.
Last edited by Amara on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:09 am

Maybe my spider friends can spin him some silken undergarments that will stretch with him so we don't have to see his 'bear naked' self.... :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:05 am

If you don't insist on wearing the armor in shifted form and you just want no mess with putting it on/off... Well :

CALLED-Armor is an Armor-Enchantment from the Magic Item Compendium. If you and your Armor are at least on the same plane, you can call it to you. If you aren't wearing any armor at thte time you call it, it materializes on your body.
Costs 2000 GP.

Solution ? Normally, in Humanoid form, wear your normal armor, make it called.
Have a spare Armor, Custom-made for your Were-form. Make that also called. When you shift, your normal armor drops automatically.
Now just call your Were-Form-Armor. (Say, from your bag of holding ? ;) Tadaaa.
Battle over. Drop your Wereform Armor.
Shift back. Call your normal armor.
Naked time = I action.

I think that is a halfway good solution... Also costs "only" 4000 gp. And as a bonus you basically never loose your armor. I don't really know if "calling" is an action, though.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am

It looks as if wearing armor is not a good idea for you; Called armor would still need to be taken off before you assume bear form, so that's not much help. I can't find Wild, but Beastskin is probably similar, and it specifically asks you to spend Wild Shape uses, so it probably doesn't translate. I think you're stuck wearing a magic robe (up to +5 AC) and maybe one of the "shirts" from the MIC, which grant Damage Reduction 3. I'll rule that these are cut in such a way that they can still fit (poorly) once you grow to full size, but actual armor would still come apart at the seams if you tried it.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 am

I couldn't find the book/page number, but it is in the srd.

Wild
The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, baleful polymorph; Price +3 bonus.
I can provide a link here at least.
It doesn't say one has to spend wild shape uses, but it does say it's for wild shape. (Ahah and googling it finds tons of people trying to stat were characters wondering if it works. That's...that's great.)

If it's definitely a no go, it's looking like the robe/shirt is what I'll have to go with, yeah.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am

Okay, I think allowing Wild to work for a lycanthrope is reasonable enough.

I've dreamed up an adventure site that should suffice for this party's purposes, and have begun detailing it. I'll give you a link when I've got an intro written up, though I imagine it'll be a little while before we're really "ready" to start.

Hey Nioca, you still with us?
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 am

...could we also rule it DOESN'T go invisible, since the mechanical bit is just me keeping armor bonus? XD
To avoid naked bears, and also because the idea of a massive armored bear is just wondrous.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 am

Absolutely.
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

willpell wrote:Hey Nioca, you still with us?
I am. I just got a new modem today, so I should be able to keep up more.

Speaking of which, since you don't really like Retributive Spell, and we're missing both a Trapfinder AND a dedicated Healer, what if I instead took Leadership to take a Rogue/Druid cohort? It wouldn't be perfect, but we'd have someone on hand who could heal and find traps.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

This sounds like a plan. Perhaps he's a Daggerspell Shaper? Assuming you can get enough leadership for the maximum power cohort (your level minus two), you can get someone who's just taken the first level of the PrC.
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm

willpell wrote:This sounds like a plan. Perhaps he's a Daggerspell Shaper? Assuming you can get enough leadership for the maximum power cohort (your level minus two), you can get someone who's just taken the first level of the PrC.
The leadership score shouldn't be a problem at all. However, thanks to LA, his cohort can only be L5; the cohort would need another level before he'd be able to qualify for Daggerspell Shaper (1 level of rogue for sneak attack, 5 levels of druid for wild shape).

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Wrangler, I was 2/3 of the way finished writing our intro post when I figured out that you hadn't actually provided a name for your character yet, so for the moment he will just be referred to as "Spiderman"; I'll edit the post later.

@ Nioca - Hm, LA is annoying that way. I'm almost tempted to rule that it uses ECL instead of CL, but that might be a dangerous precedent. I *did* end up ruling that ECL is used in Affiliation scores, but that's not quite the same thing.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

If you ruled ECL... Hnm. I could potentially drop skill focus for leadership if you would rather be freed for something else, Nioca, though a roguish cohort for a pally would admittedly be odd haha. Going off ECL, with leadership I'd have a score of 12. ...unless Nioca's character would still have higher leadership in that situation, of course. (I'm not certain of their charisma mod.)

Otherwise I've got equipment planned out in my iPad's notes, and I'll type it up once I'm home. Tonight is my night class, so I'll be back a touch late.
Last edited by Amara on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm

"IT HAS BEGUN!"

(I know you guys aren't really ready, but hopefully you don't mind me setting a stage for you to get started roleplaying; the mechanics can catch up in time.)
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Gurahl.
A fan of WtA? ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm

willpell wrote:Wrangler, I was 2/3 of the way finished writing our intro post when I figured out that you hadn't actually provided a name for your character yet, so for the moment he will just be referred to as "Spiderman"; I'll edit the post later..
Kastrail S'lvarn.... Kast for short.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Ayeaka wrote:Gurahl.
A fan of WtA? ;)
Quite. It seemed a good name for a throwaway NPC....
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

Name : Kastrail S'lvarn
Race : Wood Elf
Class : Ranger
ECL : 9
Align : Chaotic Neutral
Affiliation: None
Deity : While not an avid worshipper, Kast feels closest to Fenmarel Mestarine, patron of elves at the fringe of society. He is unlikely to ask anything of Fenmarel, self-reliance is expected of followers of this deity.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:52 am

Okay so I'm getting my last items together.

Two things.

1) May need to ask you for a few items that don't exist but aren't super important things. Are we starting with anything other than the gold and clothes on our back? (Some DMs auto-decree a bedroll or whatever, so just asking~) :0 Are spices/seasonings listed anywhere in price? I swear there were somewhere, but I can't recall.
Also is there cooking oil? There is flour, and there is all manner of cookware, but are we just assuming the oil used for lanterns is edible? o_o Because sure, you can use cooking oil in a lantern but...haha, depends on what the lantern oil is made of. Otherwise I'm basically done!

2) THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PATIENT. Oh lord, I am so serious there. I was almost in a Shadowrun game with a nightmare of a DM that was pushy, domineering, and so hellbent on us starting THAT weekend, not even 3 days after I found out about/was invited to the game, that she tried to force everyone in to playing one of the example templates. In fact, to the extent she found every excuse she could to attack and nitpick character concepts everyone in the group came up with...until they were only left with templates to play. I'm so glad you're giving everyone ample time. ;-; Especially since I'm in University, (and I'm sure there's others of us here that are,) and that means I can go from having all the free time in the world to pulling multiple all nighters to get stuff done in a split second...
Last edited by Amara on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 am

Ayeaka wrote:2) THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PATIENT.
2nded.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:44 am

Ayeaka wrote:1) May need to ask you for a few items that don't exist but aren't super important things.
I have a persistent terror of some player talking me into letting them have, say, a piece of chalk even though they've spent their last CP and can't afford it, and then later MacGuyvering a boss-killer bomb or something using the freebie. It shouldn't be hard for me to call shenanigans on such a thing if it actually happens, but I start gnawing my proverbial fingernails anytime players seem to be trying to be "clever".

As long as I'm sure you're just enriching the story, though, I can be more chill about it. Really, what I want is for the rules to *enforce* that you're just enriching the story, and can't gain a mechanical effect that you haven't "earned" (though sometimes being clever, genuinely rather than in quotes, is indeed an appropriate way to earn it).
Are we starting with anything other than the gold and clothes on our back? (Some DMs auto-decree a bedroll or whatever, so just asking~)
I could go either way on that really. We are in the forest, so your paladin probably doesn't want to sleep on sticks and wet leaves (unless he's really stupid or a masochist); you probably do have camping gear. SpiderWrangler's dude probably doesn't; completely not sure about Nioca's fairy-forest-prince dude.
Are spices/seasonings listed anywhere in price? I swear there were somewhere, but I can't recall.
Those have no game effect, unless they're to serve as trade goods, which would be historically fitting. If you just want some common garlic or paprika or something to make your gruel taste okay, that falls under "storytelling" (also known as "flavor", though not usually this literal), and is completely okay.
Also is there cooking oil? There is flour, and there is all manner of cookware, but are we just assuming the oil used for lanterns is edible?
Probably not edible, no; someone might correct me on that, but I'm thinking somewhere between "tallow" and "citronella", probably not anything fun. I'm not sure medieval people cooked with oil all that much, other than butter (or olive oil in the Mediterranean area); when I think of cooking oil I think "deep-fried", which is definitely not in the milieu. In particular, the local druids and rangers might be nervous about you using significant quantities of flammeable liquids while hanging out in their woods. (I am now tempted to insist that you wear a Smokey the Bear hat in your were form...)
2) THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PATIENT. Oh lord, I am so serious there.
Well, I would like to see more activity, but it's not like I can stand over you with a digital whip and force you to post. The carrot is really the only approach that's effective online, so I simply try to make the game cool and hope the players will self-motivate.
spiderwrangler wrote:2nded.
Well shucks. I'm just glad this all wasn't a waste of time. Anyway, feel free to start posting in the game thread whenever you're close to ready-ish.

(PS: Feytala and Through the Well, I've got a rough scenario for a game that you two could be in, so feel free to keep chiming in with your thoughts.)
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 am

Starting was 27 000, wasn't it?
Willpell wrote:I have a persistent terror of some player talking me into letting them have, say, a piece of chalk even though they've spent their last CP and can't afford it, and then later MacGuyvering a boss-killer bomb or something using the freebie. It shouldn't be hard for me to call shenanigans on such a thing if it actually happens, but I start gnawing my proverbial fingernails anytime players seem to be trying to be "clever".

As long as I'm sure you're just enriching the story, though, I can be more chill about it. Really, what I want is for the rules to *enforce* that you're just enriching the story, and can't gain a mechanical effect that you haven't "earned" (though sometimes being clever, genuinely rather than in quotes, is indeed an appropriate way to earn it).
I fullllyy understand. I'm not asking for freebies though, (just a price) and most of what I'm asking for is just for role play reasons. I don't mind spending a few extra copper or silver on it. C: ...and though cooking oil would still be flammable, I'd rather just use lantern oil if I MUST light something on fire, and that seems ill advised...in a forest.
I will admit it was hard to fight years of ingrained rogue 'instinct' though. 'Ooh, I may need this, and this--this could be usefu--why would Rían have any of this? Nevermind.'
Ahhh, I was actually rather sad survival wasn't a bear skill, too. Being able to reliably forage would have been wonderful.
Willpell wrote:Probably not edible, no; someone might correct me on that, but I'm thinking somewhere between "tallow" and "citronella", probably not anything fun. I'm not sure medieval people cooked with oil all that much, other than butter (or olive oil in the Mediterranean area); when I think of cooking oil I think "deep-fried", which is definitely not in the milieu. In particular, the local druids and rangers might be nervous about you using significant quantities of flammable liquids while hanging out in their woods.
http://www.godecookery.com/how2cook/how2cook.htm#top I do know oil was actually very commonly used! Though what type varied by region. Shhh I was the kid that had a million books on castles and stuff growing up, don't tell.
Ah, I've just been using this page haha.It'd likely be poppy oil I was looking for, though olive oil would be likely very common in climates right for it, as well.
Willpell wrote:I could go either way on that really. We are in the forest, so your paladin probably doesn't want to sleep on sticks and wet leaves (unless he's really stupid or a masochist); you probably do have camping gear. SpiderWrangler's dude probably doesn't; completely not sure about Nioca's fairy-forest-prince dude.
I've already purchased a tent and blanket, along with spare clothes. It was more a matter of curiosity on starting. If I don't have to pay for a bedroll I won't, but if I do have to, I don't mind, as they're cheap. xD
Willpell wrote:(I am now tempted to insist that you wear a Smokey the Bear hat in your were form...)
Oh dear.

Anyway, if I can justify some type of cooking oil, and a few spices, I'll price those in (whatever you think is fair), and I should be about done. C:

[edit]
I found spices! AND cooking oil! ...and about five million different kinds of flour, and virtually every single other cooking agent I might have asked about. Arms and Equipment Guide, P.31!
I joke about this now, but jokes with me have a strange tendency to become serious later. Oh lord. I wonder if there's an enchantment for containers that keeps food fresh...
Last edited by Amara on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 am

Ayeaka wrote:Starting was 27 000, wasn't it?
No, we're ECL 9, so WBL is 36,000 gp (and starting XP is also 36,000; this is the only level where they're the same, after this gold increases MUCH faster than XP).
Ahhh, I was actually rather sad survival wasn't a bear skill, too. Being able to reliably forage would have been wonderful.
That is incredibly stupid. But there's a fair lot of that in the game, and I'm not yet ready to make any adjustments. I definitely recommend getting some cross-class skills in it, and maybe a competence item (+5 to any skill is 2500 gp, and you can flavor it more or less however you want, though it has to use a body slot or the price is doubled).
It'd likely be poppy oil I was looking for, though olive oil would be likely very common in climates right for it, as well.
Poppies, eh? scribble, scribble
I've already purchased a tent and blanket, along with spare clothes. It was more a matter of curiosity on starting. If I don't have to pay for a bedroll I won't, but if I do have to, I don't mind, as they're cheap. xD
I'll probably bitch about this in future because it wastes space on the charsheet, but for now I'm gonna be a dick and say you should cost it out. :/ :\ :| >:-P :meh: :roll: :? :shrug:
Oh dear.
For some reason this is perhaps the most hilarious response I could have imagined....
I found spices! AND cooking oil! ...and about five million different kinds of flour, and virtually every single other cooking agent I might have asked about. Arms and Equipment Guide, P.31!
God, I need to look at that book more often....
I joke about this now, but jokes with me have a strange tendency to become serious later. Oh lord. I wonder if there's an enchantment for containers that keeps food fresh..
Actually I don't know of the mechanics for it, but I've established that they exist in my gameworld so...heck with it, you can have *that* for free. Just assume that it magically only works on food, and is of indeterminate size (out-of-character that is; it has a fixed size but we're not going to establish what that is unless it matters for game purposes, in which case I'll decide the least inconvenient answer).
My long-neglected blog.