Movies and Discovery

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Movies and Discovery

Post by thesilence » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm

We believe there should be a thread in the vein of "Things you never noticed before", but referring to movies (and perhaps another one for books) rather than to Goblins comic. We have taken it upon ourselves to begin this topic.

We recently watched John Carpenter's classic "They Live", whose secondary male star is one Keith David. While we had never heard the name or seen the face before, the voice was striking and immediately recognizeable. Upon cogitation, we realized that he was familiar to us as a voice actor - specifically, he is the man who tells you what's so great about joining the Navy in those commercials with Godsmack songs behind them. (Also, despite our failure to recognize him, we in fact had seen him in film previously; he plays the Imam in both Pitch Black movies, which are favorites of ours, so we are shamed that we could not make the connection. He is also prolific as a voice artist in various animated programs, but we do not believe we have encountered any of these.)

Who else has been startled by discoveries of these nature?
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Movies and Discovery

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:34 pm

I was tempted to make a post about how we'd had no newcomers for a while after your Newcomers post, just like I told Glemp to stop talking to himself over in Discussion... But now I actually have something relevant to say rather than a dumb and poorly executed Doctor Who joke, so Hi! I have to acknowledge you :p

I recently noticed that one of the secondary friends-of-the-lead-male Alabama-ians (Alabamans?) in "Sweet Home Alabama", that Reese Witherspoon film, is also the lead scary nutjob in "The Woman", both films having been on my stuff-to-watch-while-working list. I watched The Woman a few weeks before Sweet Home Alabama, although I'd seen S.H.A before, years ago... It rather put me on edge. I kept thinking that the harmless chap in the silly romance film would suddenly snap and go all Norman Bates on everyone.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:00 am

Wait, you haven't seen Gargoyles? It's one of my all-time favorite cartoons. Right up there with Batman:TAS. Those are shows with real depth. And Gargoyles had long-term subplots and character development. (Also, for some reason, about half the cast of Star Trek: TNG.)

Generally, though, I try not to notice that sort of thing. Going "hey, wait! I know that guy!" just throws me out of the flow. Disbelief can no longer be suspended. And that ruins too much of the fun. Drives me nuts that General Talbot on Agents of SHIELD has been the voice of Iron Man for the last 5 years, and his counterpart on the Flash has been the voice of Lex Luthor for over 20 years. Heck, I didn't even recognize Talbot from his stint on Heroes. I just keep hearing Iron Man speaking the words of exactly the sort of army general he can't stand to work with.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:46 pm

nikohl wrote:I was tempted to make a post about how we'd had no newcomers for a while after your Newcomers post, just like I told Glemp to stop talking to himself over in Discussion... But now I actually have something relevant to say rather than a dumb and poorly executed Doctor Who joke, so Hi! I have to acknowledge you :p
We are embarassed to admit that we have not actually seen the episode. We picked up the avatar from a news story announcement and were suitably impressed. So we did not fully understand the joke, knowing only what Wikipedia could tell us about our alterego.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston