Studio Ghibli

lingrem
Former Mod

Studio Ghibli

Post by lingrem » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I am a huge Studio Ghibli fan - to the extent that so far, I've exposed all my classes here to it. It's really interesting to watch the class' reaction to a film (normally Spirited Away is the one I pick first for them...) because most of the children here will have never seen anything like it.

:)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

John
Converses Frequently

Re: Studio Ghibli

Post by John » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

You know I bought a box set of Miazaki (spelling) films and that's the only one I haven't watched yet?
Games:
► Show Spoiler

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm

I was pretty smitten with Princess Mononoke (the movie, not the character, and I think Danes was dull and seems to me to have been cast for the dub based on her name, which is a whole 'nother rant of mine for animation, and I never got around to seeing the sub), and did also like Spirited Away. I know I've seen some of the others like Kiki's and Howl's, and maybe some of Porco Rosso in passing, but apparently didn't make much of an impression on me so I assume I thought they were acceptable. Guess that list makes me more of a Miyazaki-liker. :)

Huh, speaking of the dub of Mononoke, I didn't know that Gaiman did the English adaptation of the script. Well, I have a question about the word "rifles", which seems likely to be the wrong word to me. I wondered whose fault that was, whether it was just an ambiguous translation problem, if it was wrong in the original Japanese, or if it was wrong in the English version. I have a signed copy of one of his books, so he owes me an explanation! ;)

Edit: also PnP D&D reaction to Ashitaka's curse: "Cool!"

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:22 am

I recommend Nausicca. I think it was one of the better ones I've seen. Claire Danes dubs another flick with James Vanderbeek and Mark Hamill. I wish I remembered what it is....Castle in the Sky maybe?
Games:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 am

My favourites:
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Arietty
Ponyo
Kiki's Delivery Service.

And I think it is Castle in the Sky that has Claire Danes and James Vanderbeek.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Buta
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Buta » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:52 am

My favourite is Porco Rosso ... and I have a hard time finding others who like it as much as I do. :( It's such a charming film... I guess I have a thing for dogfights in the sky! <3

Benbo231
Of Few Words

Post by Benbo231 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:57 am

Kiki's Delivery Service has been and always will be my favorite. Tombo's basically my doppleganger.
Carries a wrench? Check.
Builds cool stuff? Check.
Look-alikes? Also check.
And as odd as it sounds, at the time of my viewing, my girlfriend was a Kiki look-alike.

...not like that, you guys! I mean that Kiki looks like a younger version of my lady friend, not that I was actually dating a 13-year old.