Goblin Tomato Reviews (Current:Man of Steel)

John
Converses Frequently

Goblin Tomato Reviews (Current:Man of Steel)

Post by John » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 am

Figured to get a review thread started up. I want to see the Great Gatsby that came comes out today (in the US) but I worry I won't like the film. Got me thinking, let's pester Goblins about their reviews!!!!

We'll start with Iron Man 3, since its world release was over a week ago. What did you think?

Note: This thread stands a good chance of ruining a movie for folks just looking for some friendly referrals, so please diligently use the spoiler feature to prevent giving away important story elements.
Reviews don't have to give out spoilers, so do your best to avoid a myriad of spoiler only posts :P
Last edited by John on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Goblin Tomato Reviews (Current: Iron Man 3)

Post by SamWiser » Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

I liked it. It had some flaws and the story could have been stronger, but it had the same things that made the previous movies good. Awesome suits and humor. Apparently they changed a lot about the main villain when compared to his comic book counterpart, but I have heard that the main villain took every racist stereotype the authors could think of and added some more, so that might not be a bad thing. The acting was good, and Guy Pierce and Ben Kingsley are especially good as the bad guys.

If you like the other Marvel movies you will probably like this one.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 am

I quite agree. I would rank it better than Iron Man 2, but still not as good as Iron Man the original.

Current Marvel rankings for me (whether disney owned or not)
► Show Spoiler
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 am

I'm a cynical prick when it comes to movies, particularly sequels, but it's almost impossible to not have fun watching Iron Man 3. Robert Downey Jr is just fantastic throughout, and there's more focus on character, rather than just nonstop Michael Baying...it just works really well. It's also really good at inverting your expectations; pretty much any time you see a movie cliche starting up, it will be tweaked or twisted enough (often humorously) to be surprising. I give it six Goblins our of a possible one Goblin, with seven tomatoes being the maximum score.

I think I would put all of the Fantastic Four movies at about #500 on my top 15 list of best superhero movies, right after Driving Miss Daisy, and Schindler's List.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

John
Converses Frequently

Re: Goblin Tomato Reviews (Current: Great Gatsby/Star Trek)

Post by John » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 am

I think a new approach will be a bit better aimed towards this review. Choosing movies that are out a little earlier may be more helpful. So though the Great Gatsby has been out for a week, I want to throw in Star Trek Into Darkness as well. I personally will probably watch both Star Trek and Fast & Furious 6 on Sunday.

Be sure to let your fellow Gobliners whether it's worth the dime or not!
Games:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Star Trek was awesome. I had high expectations after seeing the trailer, but they blew those out of the water. I would say it is the best movie I have seen this year so far. The acting was perfect, the story was amazing, and it had both humor and intensity but never too much of one at any time. I personally can't find a flaw in this movie right now.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Ditto everything SamWiser said. I'm a bit of cinema snob, but I loved this movie for the entire ride. The actors all have really good chemistry, and Mickey from Doctor Who is a bit character at one point, so I'm counting this as an official New Who / New Trek crossover.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I loved the Star Trek: Into Darkness movie, but I did have one minor problem with it. Best to hide it under spoiler.
► Show Spoiler
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

John
Converses Frequently

Re: Goblin Tomato Reviews (Current: Fast & Furious 6/Epic)

Post by John » Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 am

I love action movies. I like high speed chases, big explosions, and good solid brutal fights. Fast and Furious 6 delivered. I enjoyed it tremendously. Won't get an oscar, but so much fun! They did a good job at linking all the movies into one comprehensible series, including Tokyo drift. All in all a better than sound sequel delivering just want you would want. Can't wait for the next one.

Haven't seen epic yet, but I'm a sucker for animated movies. I rewatched Rise of the Guardians a billion times and can't wait to have a kid to share it with :). Anyone see this one yet?
Games:
► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

Arydra wrote:I loved the Star Trek: Into Darkness movie, but I did have one minor problem with it. Best to hide it under spoiler.
► Show Spoiler
OK. Just saw it last night so couldn't comment or read until now.
► Show Spoiler