PACIFIC RIM!!!

willpell
Banned

PACIFIC RIM!!!

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Who else has seen it? What did you think?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

John
Converses Frequently

Re: PACIFIC RIM!!!

Post by John » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 am

I haven't yet. I was so hyped....then heard some reviews that were enh. Did you see it?
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

I've seen it. I LOVED it.

If you're looking for an Academy award winning movie, go somewhere else. If you're looking for a good time, cheer for the good guy, yell at the screen because you're that into it, kind of movie? Go see Pacific Rim.

I'm buying it when it comes out.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 am

sa-weeeeeet
Games:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 am

It's a lot of fun, and it tries to be deep and thought-provoking with its dialogue, but this attempt was mangled a bit. I recommend the tie-in comic, actually; this is written by the same guy who wrote the movie, but presumably the movie had to go through more focus groups or something afterward, so it came out rather silly; the graphic novel actually explains a few things rather nicely. The movie meanwhile is mostly just a glorious spectacle. I recommend seeing it in 3D, though I've heard some reviews which say you shouldn't.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

StudiesTheMind
Remains Silent

Post by StudiesTheMind » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Kind of necroing this buuut I have a strong opinion on this movie so maybe it is worth discussing about.

Watched the movie and loved it. Till now I saw it 3 times already :)
But there is one major flaw I see. Why is there only one female (important) character (that has more than maybe 1-2 lines)?
Would it really have hurt the movie to include maybe one more woman?
Also I heard a lot of people say that Mako Mori was an awesome and strong feminist female character, but I fail to see that. She was okay but I found her rather uninteresting; the only thing really contributing was her dramatic backstory of being saved and using the sword during that one fight.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Glad you mostly liked the movie, Studies. You're not the only one to have voiced that particular grievance. Sasha Kaidanovsky was supposed to also be a strong female character, but Del Toro tried to convey this entirely through body language and stuff without giving her actual lines, so it's not surprising a lot of viewers didn't get it. Overall the movie could have used way more characters period, women included. (And I agree with your spoiler.)
My long-neglected blog.

StudiesTheMind
Remains Silent

Post by StudiesTheMind » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Actually I would have really liked to see more of the other "two teams" and Jäger. I thought it was a shame they only got such short fighting time and overall screen time! Some backstory would have been nice, too. :)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 am

It seems that any female that knows martial arts is suddenly a strong feminist female character. While I suppose she was pretty strong, I don't think physical strength is what "strong feminist female character" means.

Overall, there are many problems I have with the plot. They didn't do much with the other jager drivers, and they could have had what few main characters they had much more interesting. Still, I believe there is going to be a second one, so perhaps they will fix some of those mistakes in that one.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:14 am

SamWiser wrote:It seems that any female that knows martial arts is suddenly a strong feminist female character. While I suppose she was pretty strong, I don't think physical strength is what "strong feminist female character" means.
That would make any of the "Bond babes" feminist characters? Even "Pussy Galore?"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 am

StudiesTheMind wrote:Actually I would have really liked to see more of the other "two teams" and Jäger. I thought it was a shame they only got such short fighting time and overall screen time! Some backstory would have been nice, too. :)
There was actually a TON of backstory that didn't get into the movie. If you thought Raleigh was a complete cipher of a character, well, he actually has a very detailed personality writeup, but you have to read the behind-the-scenes coffee-table book to learn anything about it; it didn't even get detailed in the novelization, let alone the movie. I think what happened is that GDT had to cut the movie a lot shorter than he'd have hoped, and left out acting rather than SFX for the understandable reason that if he created a good enough spectacle with the movie itself, people would be interested enough to dig deeper for the talky stuff that didn't strictly NEED to be done on film. It was an expensive flick, I don't blame him for any corners he had to cut, as long as the result was magnificent-looking (and it was).
SamWiser wrote:Overall, there are many problems I have with the plot. They didn't do much with the other jager drivers, and they could have had what few main characters they had much more interesting.
The fact that the characters were kinda bland was not entirely unintentional. GDT has said in interviews that he wrote the three main characters (Raleigh, Mako and Stacker) as if they were a single person, and that he wanted "humanity itself" to be the main "character" of the film, rather than focusing too much on the heroes. Whether he succeeded in that aim is another story, but it was apparently kinda what he was going for. Rather than a story about what a Gary Stu Raleigh was, it was supposed to be a story about humanity coming together in the face of adversity, and the protagonists were meant to be vehicles for that theme more than they were meant to be interesting in their own right. An unusual artistic direction to be sure, but at least it's something different from Hollywood's usual MO.
My long-neglected blog.