The truth about Thunt, Goblinscomic, tree seductress, etc

Discuss the comic here!
Kore
Speaks Quietly

Re: The truth about Thunt, Goblinscomic, tree seductress, et

Post by Kore » Fri May 30, 2014 8:16 pm

"I surrender" the demoness wrote, "I offer you a deal. Let me stay in this axe safe from that singing, and I will give you the recipe for world peace, waking up every morning in bliss, and even if someone should die by accident or old age or whatever in that peaceful world, he will be brought back to life as good as new by the next day. Do you accept? Yes or No"

Some murmured this was too good to be true. The wise said "ask Noe, it is part of foundation of world that he must always tell the truth." So they asked him, and he said, yes the note was telling the truth.

Everyone cheered and hugged and eagerly said Yes to the deal (except of course Kore who was sleeping). It was such a great day, they had already learned to end their conflicts and conquered even the great demoness and now they could bring the same peace and love to everyone else in the world! Even dwarf and tree hugged.

The note expanded to add a long recipe including ingredients, diagrams and directions.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 am

A marvellously light silver metal, a silver metal that felt as heavy as gold, water that was heavier than normal water, all sorts of strange materials were needed for the device to bring world peace. The anymug made it easy, with the descriptions from the recipe, Forgath was able to make different exotic liquids, and when the liquids were combined out settled these strange metals.

The metals were assembled as directed, and different stages of the machine were built. the first stage had a hollow sphere of the heavy metal, with some other substances around it, the other stages were more and more of the light metal and heavy water and other substances around them, the whole device was encased with a very thick layer of rock. Forgath did not know all the details, others worked on them, he was too busy operating the anymug non stop.

Within a day they were done, the massive device was completed, everyone hugged and celebrated.

Kore woke up and yelled "Nooooooooo" at the last minute but it was too late, a tree had already launched the fireball to trigger the device.

NGMZero
Mumbles Incoherently

The truth about Kore

Post by NGMZero » Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 am

The truth about Kore
This information is unconfirmed nor authorized by goblinscomic.org

Gkom
Speaks Quietly

Post by Gkom » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 am

Damn! That's really good!

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:58 pm

A bright white flash...

Dies woke up, and saw a familiar sight. Two goblins in front of him, with all hair completely shaved off. One was Saves a Fox, and the other looked like Duv except with the skin color of his old arm.

Both were naked and covered in mud honey, and wanted someone to lick it off... http://www.goblinscomic.org/04072006/

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 am

"Huh?"

The illusion ends and instead Dies sees the Demoness and Noes in a small cave with him.

"Where is everyone?" asks a shocked Dies. "Here" explains Noes. "We are everyone"

"Fox..." asks Dies. Noe explains: "They are all gone. That device you helped make was a really big bomb, destroyed the world, gods, afterlife, nearly everything"

"But you said... world peace, bliss, everyone comes back who dies"

"Yes, but she never said it would all happen at same time. First came world peace, everything destroyed. Then comes bliss... we are happy, you are happy every time you wake up and see your goblin girls. Each time you die, she brings you back the next morning."

"But why?"

"Because you are special Dies. Most people if they died a horrible death over and over again, would eventually become numb to it, no longer care. But each time you die horribly, you feel more fear, more pain, more suffering. You are the tastiest suffering she has ever had. No other meal compares to you."

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:39 am

A window slowly slid open. Herbert crawled through it feet first, and quietly dropped onto the basement floor.

Herbert whispered "Hi"... then in a few minutes he whispered in a more angry tone: "What have you done?!?"

Another voice whispered - "It's not my fault... they made a deal with a demoness... they didn't listen to Kore..."

Herbert sighed, "Yes, none of them were smart enough to listen to Kore."

The Moral of the story is: Listen to Kore, he is old and wise and survived many battles and has lots of experience destroying evil.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Other voice: Kore, paladin. A dwarf no longer alive.
Herbert: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic dwarf. Kore will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better... stronger... faster.

The 6 Million Gold Dwarf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Using his vast godly powers, the great god Herbert flew faster than the speed of light and thus reversed the flow of time to before the world was destroyed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCsHTNP2MaU

Herbert replaced old Kore in the great battle with the upgraded version, able to defeat even the most powerful demons. Kore 2.0 would save this world.

Then the Great Herbert saw it was all Very Good and he rested from his labours. What could possibly go wrong?

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM

Greetings, my friends. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, friends future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the inexplicable that is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing you the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are giving you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony of the miserable souls who survived this dreadful ordeal. The incidents, the places My friend, we cant keep this a secret any longer! Let us punish the guilty. Let us reward the innocent. My friend Can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave-robbers from another world?

Kore 2.0 The Battle for Earth's Future

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 pm

March 8, 2014

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Young boy looking out window. Boy tugs on mom's shoulder and points. "Is that a bird?"

Object gets closer. Boy asks mom "Is that a plane?"

Object flying beside window, getting closer. Boy asks mom "Is that a short guy in armour?"

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:36 am

Very poor taste. Last I'll read of this.
► Show Spoiler

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

[The world is full of speculative fake fiction that claims events that happened are result of supposed aliens, etc, this can include events that had people die. I think it is clear this is fake, there is probably no hope left for people of that flight and probably no one related to that flight is reading this.

Is it in poor taste for example to have an SF story claim aliens were responsible for death of JFK? Or aliens partially responsible for X war (which resulted in many deaths including perhaps many relatives of people here?) Or a major terrorist attack like 9-11 that affected hundreds of thousands of people? These sorts of things are common in fiction. This story was meant to degree to be parody of all sorts of SF including that sort.

I think it is in "very poor taste" to write a comment saying poor taste without saying why, gives no ability to understand why, adjust, etc. People could write same thing about many pages of goblins comics and nearly all webcomics, in one case at least someone did but at least bothered to provide an explanation. Eg I think people should be dead at least a year before you write fake fiction, or never should write in fiction about events of people who died even 80 years ago as might have a living son.

If people are offended then I won't write, doing this to try to entertain a few while nothing better yet available here from the author. I would like answer from anyone who is offended as to why because I am having trouble following the logic compared to what is common in fiction, I can give more detailed examples if required.]

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 am

Kore: I also think it is in poor tastes because it is such a recent event, and it's still very fresh on people's minds. The events you are citing are further in the past - even 9/11 was over a decade ago now. The events you were satirizing occured this year.

Even you can be more sensitive than that!

I'm saying that both as myself and as a mod, btw. It's too recent to be turned into a satire, and the topic itself would belong more in Controversy than here.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:53 pm

lingrem wrote:Kore: I also think it is in poor tastes because it is such a recent event, and it's still very fresh on people's minds. The events you are citing are further in the past - even 9/11 was over a decade ago now. The events you were satirizing occured this year.

Even you can be more sensitive than that!

I'm saying that both as myself and as a mod, btw. It's too recent to be turned into a satire, and the topic itself would belong more in Controversy than here.
Events 4 months old... not making anyone look stupid or evil... Is there a time limit before events can be used? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? SInce you invoke as a mod, what are rules you set for this board? No mention of real event till how much time in fiction is allowed? (For example after space shuttle disaster, for how many months or years would you have been against jokes about the disaster as a mod, eg soft drink 7 up, NASA stands for, etc)

I am going to drop entire story, the plane component wasn't even going to be mentioned again except that Kore and Psi-max wanted "jet engines" as part of their crazy conspiracy plot, but not worth my time if not entertaining a few others. (My personal reaction is not worth trouble to make a free story if others easily offended and "beyond debate" for reasons I have trouble understanding, would be ironic if people critical of Thunt's work were partially responsible for loss of his much better story than mine... last internet story I read was about someone who changed script on a movie because of dealing with "offended people" who somehow felt that a charactor in previous story was somehow similar to a US president... not sure if Obama or Bush side was offended)

WTC example there was very large amount of speculative fiction that came out less than 1 month after event in same country where 5000+ died not 10 years later that was imo absolute minimum 10x to 100x worse (more likely to hurt other people) eg treating as fact rather than maybe or fiction that group X or group Y were responsible based on fake "facts" such as jet fuel "would not make black smoke", so *must* rather than maybe X conspiracy (example must be missile attack by CIA and president of US to murder 5000 americans).

Make someone look stupid/evil/bigot/etc unfairly, would amount of time matter? Not to me... if I was JFK's kid, I might be hurt to see JFK portrayed as a jerk in false way, even 20 years later a story came out and it was about someone I knew and respected and made them personally time might not make a difference. (Eg in one SF time travel story Red Dwarf, JFK assassinates himself as otherwise his presidency would end in scandal, JFK's kids might take offense, yet I would not try to block that fiction/joke)

IMO the "even you could be so insensitive!" is example of flawed debate, making "my opinion" as correct, other side is evil "almost everyone would agree as insensitive". IMO this is an argument appealing to emotion rather than logic, and suggests an attitude trying to shut down debate, unwilling to consider that their side could be wrong and easily offended by things that don't match their "politically correct" rules often cause more suffering overall then they do good. (I don't want to go into numerous examples here on how 'offended/politically correct/no room for debate' harms other people as too off topic, could start a new one if desired)

I personally have trouble seeing how people who actually lost members in this event that is covered to extreme for months in news with all sorts of extreme speculation would now be hurt by a story from a different language/country with very little publicity that is obviously fake and not insulting anyone that died or blaming anyone living for the tragedy. If no one is actually hurt, then why the supposed offence/insensitive? If someone is actually hurt, then how? I personally have known people who have died tragically, were in news, if someone 4 months later came out with obviously fake story aliens were involved, I would not feel any hurt from that.

That does not change that I would much prefer that a person I knew did not die, I miss having them. For me, only thing that would matter is that person I cared about is not slandered, whether 1 month or 20 years, time does not make a difference to me.
Last edited by Kore on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

I agree with Lingrem that this is more controversy, but I'd like to give my two cents.

The fact that the WTC conspiracies etcetera were created in only days after the fact does not exclude you from criticism right now. The people then were perceived as disrespectful too.

Plus: another plain crashed a short time ago, from the Malaysian airline, when they got shot down by people from Ukraine or Russia. Almost 200 of my fellow Dutchmen were on that plane, and another hundred from other places around the world. It kind of tears open a wound. Take into account that there have been a lot of crashes last week and it becomes even more grim. On top of that, the missing plane still hasn't been found, making it impossible for a lot of people to mourn properly.

And no, he need not explain himself why it is in poor taste. You can ignore the fact that he doesn't like it, just like he can ignore your thread from now on. Lingrem when talking as a mod should explain her take because she is the one who can actually order you to stop, and that is done best with an explanation. I'm not particularly bothered by your thread, but it doesn't exactly take a degree in psychology to know why people would find your last part of the story distasteful.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Kore wrote:IMO the "even you could be so insensitive!" is example of flawed debate, making "my opinion" as correct, other side is evil "almost everyone would agree as insensitive". From what I have seen in life, an attitude unwilling to consider that their side could be wrong and easily offended by things that don't match their "politically correct" rules often cause more suffering overall then they do good. (I don't want to go into numerous examples here on how 'offended/politically correct/no room for debate' harms other people as too off topic, could start a new one if desired)
OK, this right here? You don't get to play the "poor me, the avenger of freedom vs. the horrible PC crowd who try and force people to be polite to each other" card while you're pretending to post as Kore. By "even you" I am very sure that Lingrem meant "even Kore." You can't have it both ways. If you don't like that, I'm sure Moose would be willing to change your screen name. In fact, I'm going to go on record right now as saying I think that would be a very good idea.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Guus wrote:I agree with Lingrem that this is more controversy, but I'd like to give my two cents.

The fact that the WTC conspiracies etcetera were created in only days after the fact does not exclude you from criticism right now. The people then were perceived as disrespectful too.

Plus: another plain crashed a short time ago, from the Malaysian airline, when they got shot down by people from Ukraine or Russia. Almost 200 of my fellow Dutchmen were on that plane, and another hundred from other places around the world. It kind of tears open a wound. Take into account that there have been a lot of crashes last week and it becomes even more grim. On top of that, the missing plane still hasn't been found, making it impossible for a lot of people to mourn properly.

And no, he need not explain himself why it is in poor taste. You can ignore the fact that he doesn't like it, just like he can ignore your thread from now on. Lingrem when talking as a mod should explain her take because she is the one who can actually order you to stop, and that is done best with an explanation. I'm not particularly bothered by your thread, but it doesn't exactly take a degree in psychology to know why people would find your last part of the story distasteful.
Then if I say I don't understand, have sympathy for someone not as wise as you. How much time needs to pass before we can make fake fiction on any event, etc in your opinion?

I just recently had someone die in an avalanche, used to live above me. I personally was not offended or hurt when others died in other avalanches later and also covered in news across same country/canada. I did take some offense to guys calling him an idiot to degree of "darwin award" in news forums, and that would not change whether 1 week after event or 20 years after event.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
Kore wrote:IMO the "even you could be so insensitive!" is example of flawed debate, making "my opinion" as correct, other side is evil "almost everyone would agree as insensitive". From what I have seen in life, an attitude unwilling to consider that their side could be wrong and easily offended by things that don't match their "politically correct" rules often cause more suffering overall then they do good. (I don't want to go into numerous examples here on how 'offended/politically correct/no room for debate' harms other people as too off topic, could start a new one if desired)
OK, this right here? You don't get to play the "poor me, the avenger of freedom vs. the horrible PC crowd who try and force people to be polite to each other" card while you're pretending to post as Kore. By "even you" I am very sure that Lingrem meant "even Kore." You can't have it both ways. If you don't like that, I'm sure Moose would be willing to change your screen name. In fact, I'm going to go on record right now as saying I think that would be a very good idea.
I am not pretending right now to be Kore, I thought that is clear. I personally feel "even you could be so insensitive!" is example of failure by Carl Sagan's baloney detector kit test, and those that do such to shut down debate tend to cause much harm. I do not mind if it is a logical "you might hurt others feelings and imo as mod think bad idea to talk about a tragedy that happenned less than a year ago", at least then you can understand rules, etc.

IMO matter of politically correct "might hurt someones feelings" when so much in news event from months ago that I have trouble seeing how it hurts more than what is commonly accepted, eg Thunt and giantitp and others do parody at times that might make some group offended/hurt, feel it hurts their reputation, etc.

I respect rules if mod says don't do X, but at same time, IMO should be acceptable to give my opinion as to why I disagree with rules, without others talking down in vague "undebatable" way.
Last edited by Kore on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Kore wrote:I am not pretending right now to be Kore, I thought that is clear.
Apparently, it wasn't.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
Kore wrote:I am not pretending right now to be Kore, I thought that is clear.
Apparently, it wasn't.
I quit story, I said no longer doing story, was only responding to critics so I thought no need to caption with [] as out of charactor "Kore", sorry if misunderstood. I am sorry if I have some sort of brain defect that I find absurd how others can feel so obvious to everyone that someone will have hurt feelings that beyond debate or explaination. I have experienced person dying in last half of year and for me not even tiniest chance of being hurt if I read my story and even my brother/mother/wife/son died in that plane less than a month later, while I might be offended even 20 years later if they were called "good thing they died/darwin award as too stupid", evil, killed by people I respected, etc unfairly. (Which is commonly done in fiction). Mention of their death again would not make open wound for me as so much coverage night and day in news already.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

I suggest everyone google images for "political cartoon malasian flight 370", there apparently in this world is much horrible insenstivity, perhaps you can do some good and write all those major news services and explain how you can't believe "even they could be so insensitive!", most are much sooner after event than my story, and much easier to be taken by someone as insulting someone else living.

You can make a difference in making major news media groups in world more sensitive. If matter is really so clear and beyond debate then I suggest you are obligated to do so, they make 1000x+ more impact on world then me and if you spend 1 minute to say beyond debate with me, also should spend same minute with them to make world better place. Each news media has a "contact us" section, easy to find and send them an email, do your part.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 pm

That's ridiculous. You are part of the community here, and people in this community speak out that they didn't like what you wrote. That has nothing to do with "doing good" or whatever, it's simply stating their displeasure about your post.
Quite frankly, I don't appreciate the way you explain your viewpoint. It seems like you are trying harder to make us feel like hypocrites than just accepting that we differ on the opinion, and the implied pointing finger is incredibly rude.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

A few things:

1. The comment "even you cannot be so insensitive" was directed at you, Kore, before you posted out of character to say that the story was over. Your posting out of character at all is a rare thing. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that the comment was directed at you in character.

2. Mocking tragedy is almost always in bad taste. I don't believe there really is an expiration date on that.

3. More to the point, it's inappropriate in this section of the forum. That others post such things or worse on the open Internet is irrelevant.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Kore wrote:I suggest everyone google images for "political cartoon malasian flight 370", there apparently in this world is much horrible insenstivity, perhaps you can do some good and write all those major news services and explain how you can't believe "even they could be so insensitive!", most are much sooner after event than my story, and much easier to be taken by someone as insulting someone else living.

You can make a difference in making major news media groups in world more sensitive. If matter is really so clear and beyond debate then I suggest you are obligated to do so, they make 1000x+ more impact on world then me and if you spend 1 minute to say beyond debate with me, also should spend same minute with them to make world better place. Each news media has a "contact us" section, easy to find and send them an email, do your part.
Speaking only for myself, as soon as I'm made a moderator of all the major news services, I'll put it on my To Do list.