Patreon ($1.3K Reached by End of Month 1)

Discuss the comic here!
Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Patreon ($1.3K Reached by End of Month 1)

Post by Davis8488 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 am

For all those who love Thunt, and have stated a desire to do something for him, Patreon is now active.
Last edited by Davis8488 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Patreon

Post by Glemp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:41 am

:D HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. :D

And as soon as I sort out PayPal, Thunt will become my first subscription (because "pledge" sounds like a weird American fraternity/cult thing).

EDIT: I am now one of Thunt's mighty Patrons.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:39 am

It was pretty awesome to see that his dollar per page amount doubled while I was asleep.

Also worth noting, if you look at the number of his patrons who only support 1 artist as of yet (8 at my last count), it would suggest that Thunt is drawing people to the site.

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:57 am

Davis8488 wrote:It was pretty awesome to see that his dollar per page amount doubled while I was asleep.

Also worth noting, if you look at the number of his patrons who only support 1 artist as of yet (8 at my last count), it would suggest that Thunt is drawing people to the site.
As one of those single-artist Patrons, I was already a member - I just hadn't figured out how to donate fairly without going bankrupt. Thunt's irregular schedule actually helps me a great deal in that respect.

Mec
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Mec » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:04 pm

Cool. I'm in.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 am

Question: If you pledge say $5 per page, does that mean you start by paying a lump sum of $5 for every page Thunt has done so far then $5 per page release, or just $5 per page he releases following the Patreon page going live?
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:55 am

Now that I'm one of the 83 Patrons, I'm officially 1/83rd of Tarol's boss, and I demand that he wears 1/83rd a suit and tie every time he draws! Buahahaha! I am lightly buzzed on power!
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:50 am

Synch wrote:Question: If you pledge say $5 per page, does that mean you start by paying a lump sum of $5 for every page Thunt has done so far then $5 per page release, or just $5 per page he releases following the Patreon page going live?
Only future ones...
If tgere have been three patreon pages before you pledged, you do not pay for them, but only starting the fourth page...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:00 am

Right. You only pay whatever you've pledged for any pages produced from the time you first pledged. And you can change that amount at any time. And you can set a monthly limit so if he suddenly starts producing a page every other day, you don't have to be charged $75.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

wutzibu
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by wutzibu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 am

Since the 5$ tier includes a picture from other characters at the same time i thin we should make a 5§ and up subforum where we could discuss these without spoiling others (and making that reward and the knowledge thereof public to non patreons)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:39 am

That would be a good idea...
I'm more interested in that, than HQimages...

I'm sure that we'll get to read more failed attemps by the Tuck/Yodette/Baka trio....

(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

wutzibu
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by wutzibu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:11 pm

wait, arent they dead?

ohh nvm i just realized they where player characters. now i imagined the look on their faces when herbert told them how they died^^

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:59 pm

There's a sword that appears on the Patreon page above the Goblins logo, that seems familiar. Does anyone else remember it?

(Also, I find myself quite excited each time I look to see a significant increase to Thunt's $ per Comic.)

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Might be one of the items he drew for G:AR art which has yet to appear in the comic.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:54 am

Problem:
I find the gap from base support 1$ to the first incentive interesting me (the other character stories) too high (if the update frequency goes back to where we all hope it'll grow again, you could buy physical books every other month with the difference; which should also supply Thunt with support, and you can gift them to friends, colleagues,... and make them fans too).
Idea:
Maybe create two 3$ incentives, 3a for HQ-images, 3b for the stories of other characters at the same time.
And the 5$ incentive combines 3a and 3b, thus giving both...

Also: I'm slightly afraid that Thunt will put in even more work into details, as they become visible to the fans, and thus might loose even more time when doing the pages....
I would be happy with a other-character story every month, and feel fine if they were included in the physical/e-books as bonus material too.
Just don't slow down the update frequency. That's the thing that forwards the story I fell in love with.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:07 am

A goal of Ôé¼4000,- per page? Holy tapdancing Christ!
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:37 am

4k per page on Patreon does not mean that it's 4k per page in reality.
Not even disregarding the Patreon fees.
If you put in a patreon maximum limit of 13 dollar a month, and THunt produces 3 pages a month, he does not get 5 dollar/page from you (if that's your tier), but it limits at 13 $ for that month, which would be 4,33 $ per page (while you should still receive the 5$/page bonus of extra-character stories).

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:42 am

It's a stretch goal, and the highest one at that. "If we get this far, that would be awesome and would let me do something really cool." It doesn't necessarily mean he actually expects to hit it.

► Show Spoiler

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:58 am

So, here's the thing. From what I know of Thunt, I foresee those little glimpses of what's happening elsewhere in the world becoming a delayed -- and increasingly unfulfilled -- promise, one that stresses him out yet again. He's just recovering from a crash-and-burn triggered by exactly that. I do not want him starting to think of me as his boss again. I do not want that on my conscience.

Even sending out the hi-resolution versions of the comic is an additional obligation, and if he forgets he's going to feel guilty. I don't want that!

So, much as I am tempted... Sorry, Thunt, I am not going to LET you stress yourself on my behalf. I am going to sign up for the total monthly amount that I can afford to give you, which isn't a lot, and I will say that I don't want any rewards.
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 am

Yeah, no thanks. Hunt already has a crap ton of promises he can't/didn't keep, so lets add more AND pay him for it? You are crazy. I like Goblins, I do, and I'm sure Hunt isn't all bad, but this? Too much.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

$1.00 per comic page - No extra work for THunt.
$3.00 per comic page - He sends you the hi-res version of the comic, which he already makes anyway. Extra work: I guess you get put on a mass email list?
$5.00 per comic page - You get sketches of other things going on in the Goblinverse. Again, these are only sketches, and we've seen THunt be able to work through sketches pretty quickly in the past. It's mostly the coloring, shading and detailed background images that slow him down. I don't imagine this will be a lot of extra work and it seems like the sort of thing he enjoys doing as much as he enjoys the comic itself.
$20.00 per comic page - A small sketch on a postcard. Sounds like a deal. This is another quick sketch, like the kind I imagine getting at a convention. Only 4 people have signed up for it so far, and let's face it, very few people are going to choose this option.

I don't really see this as THunt signing on for a lot of extra work. The prices seem fair and the goals are quite reasonable, especially considering his progress.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Xavier78 wrote:Yeah, no thanks. Hunt already has a crap ton of promises he can't/didn't keep, so lets add more AND pay him for it? You are crazy. I like Goblins, I do, and I'm sure Hunt isn't all bad, but this? Too much.
To be clear... I am going to contribute, at the $5 per page level, with a cap of $10 in any given month, that being all I can afford. To hit my cap he'll only have to post two pages in a month. I'd subscribe at a flat monthly rate if he offered one, but he doesn't. He clearly does want some sort of performance incentive, so, okay, I'll give him that.

Just... no way am I going to let him take on any additional obligations on my behalf. Not even small ones. No More Promises, Thunt!

I'm not going to say no-one should accept the rewards; we're all going to have to make up our own minds. I wouldn't let a friend with an ankle in a cast limp across town to buy me a candy bar. He wants to go jogging on his own account, fine. Or for someone else, I can't stop him. But not for me. I can do without candy. I'd rather have a friend whose ankle is getting a chance to heal up properly.
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Oh, I'm very well aware that it's a stretch goal, I just think it's way too much. We're talking per page here. A standard issue comic is what, 20 to 25 pages? That would mean forking over 20 to 25 dollars if you'd count it as a standard issue, at the lowest pledge. Heck, I think it'd be fine if it was somewhere around 10-15 dollars, but 20 is already too much, and that's just the lowest pledge. I get that you can cap your pledge, which makes that argument redundant, but at first glance it doesn't seem to be that way. Maybe he should add a note on his patreon page that this is something that can be done, but if I look at it it doesn't really scream "this is awesome, I want to support this" to me, the way the page is set up, the way the pledges are presented and the goals set up.
You know what would be cool? If he (or someone else, if it's too much work for him personally) would get a system running that give pledgers of a certain amount a hardcopy of chapters as they come out. Those goals are only loosely related to Goblins, and I think he'd be better off dropping them entirely.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I think the goals are something Thunt wants to do anyway.
And reaching those goals would mean giving Thunt sufficient breathing space to allow to make it happen.