July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Discuss the comic here!

Moderator: Discussion Moderators

July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby RocketScientist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/07282016-2/

New Comic.

That's a lot of leaking into this realm happening in the borders, there. :shock:
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Krulle » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Not just in the borders.... Why else would Complains become schezophrenic?

Complains hand changed heftily through the touch of the AoP...
(one less finger)

I find there is some stuff to discuss, especially in view of the Ogre Mryorg, who was a previous AoP owner....
( http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20110705.jpg )
Mryorg's story seems to span months, but from what we're told here, just very few acts of Mryorg should've been enough to end the AoP.




Also: the transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/07282016-2/ wrote:
Spoiler: show
Big Ears: I've doomed this entire realm. Why did I ever think I could do this? I don't know why I became a paladin.
Complains of Names: I do. So others don't have to.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Complains of Names. They will betray you. They see you as a demon.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They fear you.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They lie to you. Soon they'll try to kill you. They know that as a demon, only you will survive the new Hell-Realm. They're jealous.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They know your name. Once you're a full demon, they'll speak your name and control you. Kill them. Kill them all.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Before it's too late.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): You have demon blood. This means that just touching the Axe will speed up the Sacred escape and further turn you into a demon. Take the Axe. Take the Axe and doom them all.

Complains of Names: Seriously? We're doing this now? This totally overused trope?

Thaco: What?
Complains of Names: The Axe of Prissan is doing that cliched thing where the unseen Big Bad, talks in the mind of one character and drives him insane until he kills everyone.

Big Ears: Wait, what? The Axe is talking to you? I didn't hear anything. And... You're going to kill us?
Complains of Names: No! I'm saying I'm not going to kill you!

Thaco: So out of the blue, you decided to tell us all that you're... not going to kill us, Um... Thanks?
Complains of Names: Well don't say it like that! You make me sound crazy!

Complains of Names: Am I seriously the only one here, who's familiar with this lame plot device?! Look, it's very simple! The over powered villain exploits my fears and insecurities until i snap and do something crazy and get you all killed!
Thaco: Okay, Complains, calm down. Do not do anything crazy.
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster

Complains of Names: I'm trying to tell you that I'm not going to do anything crazy! I know what the demon in this axe is doing, because I'm aware of the trope! So it won't work on me! It can't get me to do something crazy if I know...

SFX: RRUUUM
Complains of Names: Oops.

SFX: MMMBLLL
Minmax: Um...
Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Oh crap.
Thaco: Is the cliched voice in your head now laughing at you and calling you a sucker?
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster
unshaded version, pencilled version
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6719
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Rndom » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:21 am

It seems like the broken sphere thing in the Axe is actually messing up the panels in the comic. The black sticky web thing is emanating from it and messing up the borders.

quick edit: and is it just me, or did Complains's touch to the sphere actually seem to fix/heal it? and it's now glowing? Perhaps Complains is (going to be) the demon that destroys the realm? or maybe the (assuming) demon in his head?
User avatar
Rndom
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Guus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:11 am

That's pretty much an action you'd expect from Fumbles instead of Complains. Why did he grab the thing? How was that a logical response? Is it like Banner in the Avenger suddenly holding the staff?

I don't get it :|
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby SirButcher » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:25 am

Krulle wrote:Not just in the borders.... Why else would Complains become schezophrenic?

Complains hand changed heftily through the touch of the AoP...
(one less finger)

I find there is some stuff to discuss, especially in view of the Ogre Mryorg, who was a previous AoP owner....
( http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20110705.jpg )
Mryorg's story seems to span months, but from what we're told here, just very few acts of Mryorg should've been enough to end the AoP.




Also: the transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/07282016-2/ wrote:
Spoiler: show
Big Ears: I've doomed this entire realm. Why did I ever think I could do this? I don't know why I became a paladin.
Complains of Names: I do. So others don't have to.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Complains of Names. They will betray you. They see you as a demon.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They fear you.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They lie to you. Soon they'll try to kill you. They know that as a demon, only you will survive the new Hell-Realm. They're jealous.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They know your name. Once you're a full demon, they'll speak your name and control you. Kill them. Kill them all.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Before it's too late.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): You have demon blood. This means that just touching the Axe will speed up the Sacred escape and further turn you into a demon. Take the Axe. Take the Axe and doom them all.

Complains of Names: Seriously? We're doing this now? This totally overused trope?

Thaco: What?
Complains of Names: The Axe of Prissan is doing that cliched thing where the unseen Big Bad, talks in the mind of one character and drives him insane until he kills everyone.

Big Ears: Wait, what? The Axe is talking to you? I didn't hear anything. And... You're going to kill us?
Complains of Names: No! I'm saying I'm not going to kill you!

Thaco: So out of the blue, you decided to tell us all that you're... not going to kill us, Um... Thanks?
Complains of Names: Well don't say it like that! You make me sound crazy!

Complains of Names: Am I seriously the only one here, who's familiar with this lame plot device?! Look, it's very simple! The over powered villain exploits my fears and insecurities until i snap and do something crazy and get you all killed!
Thaco: Okay, Complains, calm down. Do not do anything crazy.
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster

Complains of Names: I'm trying to tell you that I'm not going to do anything crazy! I know what the demon in this axe is doing, because I'm aware of the trope! So it won't work on me! It can't get me to do something crazy if I know...

SFX: RRUUUM
Complains of Names: Oops.

SFX: MMMBLLL
Minmax: Um...
Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Oh crap.
Thaco: Is the cliched voice in your head now laughing at you and calling you a sucker?
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster
unshaded version, pencilled version


No, this case is COMPLETELY different. The ogre just was a mere ogre, with some demonic knowledge and some tattoo. Complains IS a demon (well, part of him) - not just someone with some knowledge about the demons. Part of him got transformed to a full demon. I still think he weakened the Axe (when grabbed it) - as far as we know Complains is the very first demon who touched the axe EVER.
SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Morgaln » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:45 am

SirButcher wrote:
Krulle wrote:Not just in the borders.... Why else would Complains become schezophrenic?

Complains hand changed heftily through the touch of the AoP...
(one less finger)

I find there is some stuff to discuss, especially in view of the Ogre Mryorg, who was a previous AoP owner....
( http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20110705.jpg )
Mryorg's story seems to span months, but from what we're told here, just very few acts of Mryorg should've been enough to end the AoP.




Also: the transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/07282016-2/ wrote:
Spoiler: show
Big Ears: I've doomed this entire realm. Why did I ever think I could do this? I don't know why I became a paladin.
Complains of Names: I do. So others don't have to.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Complains of Names. They will betray you. They see you as a demon.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They fear you.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They lie to you. Soon they'll try to kill you. They know that as a demon, only you will survive the new Hell-Realm. They're jealous.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): They know your name. Once you're a full demon, they'll speak your name and control you. Kill them. Kill them all.
AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): Before it's too late.

AoP Demon (in the mind of Complains of Names): You have demon blood. This means that just touching the Axe will speed up the Sacred escape and further turn you into a demon. Take the Axe. Take the Axe and doom them all.

Complains of Names: Seriously? We're doing this now? This totally overused trope?

Thaco: What?
Complains of Names: The Axe of Prissan is doing that cliched thing where the unseen Big Bad, talks in the mind of one character and drives him insane until he kills everyone.

Big Ears: Wait, what? The Axe is talking to you? I didn't hear anything. And... You're going to kill us?
Complains of Names: No! I'm saying I'm not going to kill you!

Thaco: So out of the blue, you decided to tell us all that you're... not going to kill us, Um... Thanks?
Complains of Names: Well don't say it like that! You make me sound crazy!

Complains of Names: Am I seriously the only one here, who's familiar with this lame plot device?! Look, it's very simple! The over powered villain exploits my fears and insecurities until i snap and do something crazy and get you all killed!
Thaco: Okay, Complains, calm down. Do not do anything crazy.
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster

Complains of Names: I'm trying to tell you that I'm not going to do anything crazy! I know what the demon in this axe is doing, because I'm aware of the trope! So it won't work on me! It can't get me to do something crazy if I know...

SFX: RRUUUM
Complains of Names: Oops.

SFX: MMMBLLL
Minmax: Um...
Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Oh crap.
Thaco: Is the cliched voice in your head now laughing at you and calling you a sucker?
Forehead Fumbles (Senor Vorpal Kickass'o): Monster
unshaded version, pencilled version


No, this case is COMPLETELY different. The ogre just was a mere ogre, with some demonic knowledge and some tattoo. Complains IS a demon (well, part of him) - not just someone with some knowledge about the demons. Part of him got transformed to a full demon. I still think he weakened the Axe (when grabbed it) - as far as we know Complains is the very first demon who touched the axe EVER.


Very unlikely. Since it was in the possession of paladins for most of the time, there's a strong chance that the axe was used to fight demons in the past. You can't kill them without the axe touching them.
Morgaln
Pipes Up Sometimes
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby SirButcher » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:03 am

Morgaln wrote:
SirButcher wrote:
No, this case is COMPLETELY different. The ogre just was a mere ogre, with some demonic knowledge and some tattoo. Complains IS a demon (well, part of him) - not just someone with some knowledge about the demons. Part of him got transformed to a full demon. I still think he weakened the Axe (when grabbed it) - as far as we know Complains is the very first demon who touched the axe EVER.


Very unlikely. Since it was in the possession of paladins for most of the time, there's a strong chance that the axe was used to fight demons in the past. You can't kill them without the axe touching them.


As far as I know (and my knowledge is limited here :) ) in D&D touching (as using) and touching (as getting killed with something) is an entirely different thing. Complains actually used the axe. The other demons got attacked by the axe. Like when someone stab you with a magic weapon you can't use its skills, and when you grab the handle of it, you gain access to it special powers - another example: if I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds. But if you ask for my sword and I give it to you, you will get +2 strength.
SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Krulle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:33 am

touch and control.
Touching the Axe is one thing.
Controlling the Axe gives you the bonuses.

It does not look like Complains is in control of the AoP on this page.
Complains touches, while Big Ears remains in control.

But even then, with all the things Mryorg did, the AoP should have broken when the few acts of Big Ears have weakened the Axe beyond repair. And Saral Caine did want to do good, and likely did quite some good. But he used the Axe in a chaotic manner, neither good nor bad. Some actions may have fueled the powers of the AoP, some may have weakened the AoP. His largest failure was withholding his help from those in need, mostly to please the political game of Goblinslayer.
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6719
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Morgaln » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

SirButcher wrote:
Morgaln wrote:
SirButcher wrote:
No, this case is COMPLETELY different. The ogre just was a mere ogre, with some demonic knowledge and some tattoo. Complains IS a demon (well, part of him) - not just someone with some knowledge about the demons. Part of him got transformed to a full demon. I still think he weakened the Axe (when grabbed it) - as far as we know Complains is the very first demon who touched the axe EVER.


Very unlikely. Since it was in the possession of paladins for most of the time, there's a strong chance that the axe was used to fight demons in the past. You can't kill them without the axe touching them.


As far as I know (and my knowledge is limited here :) ) in D&D touching (as using) and touching (as getting killed with something) is an entirely different thing. Complains actually used the axe. The other demons got attacked by the axe. Like when someone stab you with a magic weapon you can't use its skills, and when you grab the handle of it, you gain access to it special powers - another example: if I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds. But if you ask for my sword and I give it to you, you will get +2 strength.


Ah, wielding as opposed to touching, you're right, that's definitely a difference. The axe might indeed never have been wielded by a demon before.

Personally, I think if a demon wielding the axe is this detrimental, the choice of making the prison a weapon was questionable. After all, there's always the chance the owner of the axe is killed by a demon, especially if he is a paladin who would be likely to go out and seek demons to fight. Since the axe is a powerful weapon, the demon would then likely take the axe and use it himself. Something inconspicous, say a belt buckle, would have been a better choice if the prison is that frail. But people have made worse choices in the past and intelligence is a common dump stat for paladins, so...
Morgaln
Pipes Up Sometimes
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Guus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:00 am

In the lore the demons don't really work together though. I don't think a demon would want the demon of the axe to escape, because if an all powerful creature messes with your own tasty little torture buffet then you're down the deep end too. A demon might even go as far as making sure the axe finds its way back to a Paladin.

Although I agree that having a weapon as the prison of a powerful demon might not be the best idea, maybe they simply didn't have a choice. An Anymug of Prissan is a lot less interesting in my opinion too :lol:
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Generic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:09 am

What is wierd is THAC0's "out of the blue"-comment. That was not out of the blue, Complains explains quite well why he said it. This is also very characteristic of Complains (of plot devices).

I like this page. I like the breaking of the frames going on. It is a very other worlderly and good way of showing that something "other" is going on. It's nice to see the Axe of Prison doing something that is not a wall of text. We see something going on. And it's as wierd for us (the formating has changed) as it is for the characters.

Good page. I like.
Det är mera än låtsas och leka, för du kan vara alldeles viss
om att riktiga rosor är bleka, mot en handmålad rosenkuliss.

-Tove Jansson

Crappy translation for those wondering
It's more than pretend and play, you can be totally sure, that real roses are pale, next to a hand painted rose coulisse.
User avatar
Generic
Of Few Words
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:52 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Wolfie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 am

The last frame makes me smile and shake my head. It's something characters in my D&D games have said before.
"This is my therapy dragon, she’s for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
 
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: *GPS location is currently unavailable*

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Mereneth » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:24 am

Krulle wrote:
Complains hand changed heftily through the touch of the AoP...
(one less finger)


I saw that too, but going back through the pages to before the axe broke all indication is that he has 3 fingers on his right hand in those pages.

edit http://imgur.com/iDEAJqR Went further back, he's been missing that finger for a while it looks like.
User avatar
Mereneth
Voices Opinions
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:45 am

Mereneth wrote:
Krulle wrote:
Complains hand changed heftily through the touch of the AoP...
(one less finger)


I saw that too, but going back through the pages to before the axe broke all indication is that he has 3 fingers on his right hand in those pages.

edit http://imgur.com/iDEAJqR Went further back, he's been missing that finger for a while it looks like.


Yup... about 2 seconds longer than he's been part demon.

Panels 8 and 9.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 12617
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Krulle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:47 am

My fault. Thanks for pointing that out.
The colour of his hand still seems off after touching.
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6719
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby friedkitty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 am

It seems to that it is a buildup of all of the evil stuff done over time, with less good to repair it. All of the stuff Mryorg did damaged it, the stuff Saral did damaged it more, and the good deeds done in between were not enough to repair the damage. It may have only taken Caine one or two more acts to open the axe, but Big Ears repaired it a little. Not enough to prevent one bad thing done by a Paladin from cracking it open like an egg though.

My question is this. If Big Ears has done something bad enough to crack the Axe, shouldn't he lose his paladin status?
User avatar
friedkitty
Voices Opinions
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:36 am

Krulle wrote:The colour of his hand still seems off after touching.


As does the row of scales down his front, but I think we have to wait until the final shaded version is up before we can say it means anything.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 12617
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Punzil504 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am

Complains, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
User avatar
Punzil504
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 am

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby RocketScientist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Krulle wrote: And Saral Caine did want to do good, and likely did quite some good. But he used the Axe in a chaotic manner, neither good nor bad. Some actions may have fueled the powers of the AoP, some may have weakened the AoP. His largest failure was withholding his help from those in need, mostly to please the political game of Goblinslayer.


Ears specifically detected that Saral Caine was "really evil." I doubt he did much more good than Goblinslayer did.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Krulle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Yet, on the same page, Saral wants to investigate why someone is in pain/is screaming, and only stopped by Goblinsalayer. http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112007/
And next page specifies the Axe is really evil....

That was the page I was thinking about when writing the cited post...
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6719
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby SamWiser » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:15 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
Krulle wrote: And Saral Caine did want to do good, and likely did quite some good. But he used the Axe in a chaotic manner, neither good nor bad. Some actions may have fueled the powers of the AoP, some may have weakened the AoP. His largest failure was withholding his help from those in need, mostly to please the political game of Goblinslayer.


Ears specifically detected that Saral Caine was "really evil." I doubt he did much more good than Goblinslayer did.


Could that be the axe that was making BE see him as evil? I'm not sure how it works, exactly.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

“Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?”
― Terry Pratchett
User avatar
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic
 
Posts: 6765
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby RocketScientist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Maybe, but we have no reason to think that. He participated in torture. His best friend was about as evil as they come. And all of the Brassmoon elites were evil (sorry, I can't find the page where we were told that the white elites were evil and the blue regular guards weren't). Good guys don't generally recruit groups entirely composed of evil people.

As for investigating the screaming, that was kind of his job. And when GS said not to go making the guards look better, he went along with it.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby DragonStryk72 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:25 pm

SirButcher wrote:
Morgaln wrote:
SirButcher wrote:
No, this case is COMPLETELY different. The ogre just was a mere ogre, with some demonic knowledge and some tattoo. Complains IS a demon (well, part of him) - not just someone with some knowledge about the demons. Part of him got transformed to a full demon. I still think he weakened the Axe (when grabbed it) - as far as we know Complains is the very first demon who touched the axe EVER.


Very unlikely. Since it was in the possession of paladins for most of the time, there's a strong chance that the axe was used to fight demons in the past. You can't kill them without the axe touching them.


As far as I know (and my knowledge is limited here :) ) in D&D touching (as using) and touching (as getting killed with something) is an entirely different thing. Complains actually used the axe. The other demons got attacked by the axe. Like when someone stab you with a magic weapon you can't use its skills, and when you grab the handle of it, you gain access to it special powers - another example: if I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds. But if you ask for my sword and I give it to you, you will get +2 strength.


It is, but the statement on the sword was that the barrier was based on evil actions. Unless Thunt is saying that saving your friends while fighting to stop a genocidal maniac is somehow evil, then this, again, should in no way weaken the barrier, regardless of who is touching it. I mean, think about it: Paladins fight demons, they're a regular thing for Paladins, especially paladins of level to have an artifact like this. I mean, what, the seal breaks with a grapple/disarm check from a demon? Weapon-clinching is a regular occurance in combat.
DragonStryk72
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby SamWiser » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:44 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Maybe, but we have no reason to think that. He participated in torture. His best friend was about as evil as they come. And all of the Brassmoon elites were evil (sorry, I can't find the page where we were told that the white elites were evil and the blue regular guards weren't). Good guys don't generally recruit groups entirely composed of evil people.

As for investigating the screaming, that was kind of his job. And when GS said not to go making the guards look better, he went along with it.


True. While he seems to be the "better" of the duo, that could easily just be because we don't know as much about him.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

“Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?”
― Terry Pratchett
User avatar
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic
 
Posts: 6765
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: July 28, 2016: Seriously?

Postby Gift Fastidious » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:51 am

Guus wrote:Why did he grab the thing? How was that a logical response?


I thought he was just absentmindedly doing a kind of talking-with-his hands-thing, to draw attention to the thing he was talking about.

Also, if he does become a full demon controlled by anyone who knows his names, then his name could in fact be even more true than before.
User avatar
Gift Fastidious
Mutters to Themself
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Next

Return to Goblins Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests