10th April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

10th April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/04102017-2/

Hmmm. This is a tough one. Was Minmax going too far in getting vicious with Complains, or was Complains going too far with his accusation that Minmax just uses people?

I think I'm taking Minmax's side here. I know Complains still wants to kill him, but he won't if the other goblins are around to rein him in, especially with him being demonic right now...
Last edited by LAYF on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Thread date change from numerical
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: 4/10/2017: Rough-housing with Care

Post by LAYF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Ouch....
I mean... Really... Ouch in so many ways..
-Best regards LAYF

MissesDeadlines
Remains Silent

Post by MissesDeadlines » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Ooh, Complains just hit all the wrong buttons for Minmax, with a completely predictable response--much as Complains would respond if Minmax blamed him for Chief's death. These wounds are still fresh.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm

So... Fumbles is ambitious. Ears is worried. Names is still un-trusting. And MM had his buttons pushed mashed. Is it a ploy by Names to see how loyal MM is or just because Names is worried on his own and he lashes out at everyone when he's upset?

Also, what does Thaco think?

@THunt: it should be "moral high ground" and let Cheyenne know his coloring is still gorgeous.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Wolfie wrote:Is it a ploy by Names to see how loyal MM is or just because Names is worried on his own and he lashes out at everyone when he's upset?
Unfairly-Shaken would disagree with Complains having enough self-control to do that. As well, just look at his expression when MM's back is turned. He's genuinely (and justifiably) pissed off.
@THunt: it should be "moral high ground" and let Cheyenne know his coloring is still gorgeous.
He knows, there was a note on the Patreon release.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Thaco already warned him once to "find that line and never cross it" or he'd kill him...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/04102017-2/

Hmmm. This is a tough one. Was Minmax going too far in getting vicious with Complains, or was Complains going too far with his accusation that Minmax just uses people?

I think I'm taking Minmax's side here. I know Complains still wants to kill him, but he won't if the other goblins are around to rein him in, especially with him being demonic right now...
Complains stepped way over the line when he said that Minmax doesn't care about Kin or Forgath. He loved both of them and frankly Complains doesn't know what their relationship was like or what they've been through. I'm siding with Minmax here.

More importantly, will we ever find out what Minmax's armor does? This is like the longest anyone has held onto gear in the story that I can think of and he legitimately became a super beast after getting that armor and Oblivious.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

But you could say the same about MM. Complains has been trying to keep back his temper to merely being curt and abrupt when talking to the human that helped massacre his warcamp and many of his friends. MM took that to mean Complains didn't care about Fumbles either when Complains' grudge is based around caring for his fellow goblins.

On another topic, if teller powers are based around absorbing their predecessor's imprints then where did the first teller comes from? And does that mean that a really powerful teller would be difficult to replace because his/her imprint would be especially potent?

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 pm

From Minmax's perspective, it looks like they are putting Fumbles at risk. Sure, he tried to wipe out their warcamp, but that was so long ago and it was nothing personal at least until they both swore vengeance on each other. Remember, he contemplated killing Kin too but wound up falling in love with her.

One thing tho. Complains should know that Minmax's feelings concerning her were on a deeper level since her image showed up on the love pillar. Granted, a Yuan-Ti showed up on the lust pillar too, but that's only because Kin gave him a bad case of slither fever. Once wrapped up in those coils, there is no escape. :lol:

Anyhow, I don't know how Complains can make he leap to believing that MM didn't care about/was just using Forgath and Kin. He barely saw how they interact with each other. MM would be more of an expert on the relationships of the goblins than any of the goblins would be concerning his relationship with Kin or Forgath.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm saddened to see that after what happened with Kin (and the leash) MinMax still thinks that "forcing someone else to listen" will help.

And that already is a somewhat hopeful look on what MM might trying to do...
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

So are complains and minmax not essentially just being "racist", based on what they each believe to be true of adventurers and monsters (or at least goblins, if not yuan to)? Neither sees the other as anything other than a label (goblins vs human) after all, and can't see past that to the point where there's a person behind it. So yeah, they both crossed lines, but I'm not sure either necessarily would have thought about the weight of what they were saying to each other.

And I don't think minmax is forcing complains to listen, I think he's about to decide whether to do a murder or not.

MissesDeadlines
Remains Silent

Post by MissesDeadlines » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Yeah, I think that's just a rage response, not a "listen to me" response.

Also, regarding Fumbles' ambition, is he just being foolish here, as the other goblins seem to think, or is he looking at an opportunity to gain the power he'll need to hold back that demonic horde? I don't see Fumbles dying at this point in the story, so...odds on Kore showing up during the ceremony to distract everyone else, allowing Fumbles to try for six?

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:50 pm

MissesDeadlines wrote:Yeah, I think that's just a rage response, not a "listen to me" response.

Also, regarding Fumbles' ambition, is he just being foolish here, as the other goblins seem to think, or is he looking at an opportunity to gain the power he'll need to hold back that demonic horde? I don't see Fumbles dying at this point in the story, so...odds on Kore showing up during the ceremony to distract everyone else, allowing Fumbles to try for six?
That was exactly what I thought, which means it won't happen. If Kore does distract them, I could see there being a lot more than 6 imprints too.

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

You know, sometimes I think the comic would be better off without Complains.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Names has a point though, MM did wipe out most of his camp and barely cared that his friends are gone except for a short scene. And he might be right, most of what MM done so far in this dungeon has detremented them, and not too long ago was playing with magic items while govlins are laying on the floor unconcious. Or messing with that wall in the first place. Names has every reason to be suspicious of him.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:27 pm

The first imprint was probably a direct gift from Maglubiyet, passed down through the generations.

And yay! This is going to be interesting, the timing couldn't be worse.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Names has a point though, MM did wipe out most of his camp and barely cared that his friends are gone except for a short scene. And he might be right, most of what MM done so far in this dungeon has detremented them, and not too long ago was playing with magic items while govlins are laying on the floor unconcious. Or messing with that wall in the first place. Names has every reason to be suspicious of him.

He's free to be to suspicious of him, Ears and Thaco seem to be too. I'm more offended by the "you clearly never cared about the woman that the pillar magically divined you to be in love with, or the best friend that you kept calling 'brother' who's presumably dead now". That goes beyond hateful into willfully ignorant territory. Or he's trying to get a rise out of him by taking a cheap shot at his dead brother. Either way it's making me wish he gets less screentime.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:06 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Names has a point though, MM did wipe out most of his camp and barely cared that his friends are gone except for a short scene. And he might be right, most of what MM done so far in this dungeon has detremented them, and not too long ago was playing with magic items while govlins are laying on the floor unconcious. Or messing with that wall in the first place. Names has every reason to be suspicious of him.
Well, not that Names knows but those Drow weren't Minmax's friends and Minmax and Forgath were helping them out as Minmax was more powerful than all three of them combined. Names kinda started off not liking adventurers. But you make a good point about him playing around when they were at negative stats and messing with stuff without knowing what it was. However, if it wasn't for that sort of behavior, they wouldn't have gotten this far and he did get fumbles to come out of his shell when all the goblins failed. Now they have a squad member that's in a better mental condition when they need him to be mentally strong and they have a ton of new gear and a freaking ring of holding that they can use to transport items and party members. Not to mention that he wouldn't have what's likely the most OP sword in the game so far if it wasn't for his goofy risk-taking behavior.

Based on Names point of view, he was never going to trust Minmax anyway. He didn't see Minmax's sacrifice at the keyroom or that he fought the goblinslayer over a matter of honor.
SUGauthor wrote:

He's free to be to suspicious of him, Ears and Thaco seem to be too. I'm more offended by the "you clearly never cared about the woman that the pillar magically divined you to be in love with, or the best friend that you kept calling 'brother' who's presumably dead now". That goes beyond hateful into willfully ignorant territory. Or he's trying to get a rise out of him by taking a cheap shot at his dead brother. Either way it's making me wish he gets less screentime.
Same here. That was a lowwwwww blow for him to say that. He doesn't know how Minmax really feels about them. He kinda needs to stay in his lane on whether or not Minmax cares about people that Minmax knows better than he ever will.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 10 April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 am

First stumbling for me: We have October?
When creating new comic page threads, please remember forum rule "On new updates": month spelled out or abbreviated, not numerical.

Also: thread title fits nicely with electricity issues Thunt is experiencing (see spoiler below).
Wolfie wrote:@THunt: it should be "moral high ground" and let Cheyenne know his coloring is still gorgeous.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Yes. But as I told my Patrons yesterday, I'll have that typo fixed before the page goes live an hour ago and... DAMMIT!
Hew knew, and he forgot to do it nevertheless.
Playing games like Overwatch will do that to you. Or the electricity outages he's experiencing....
► Show Spoiler

Interesting update, finally some character development again.

edit: thanks to whoever modified the thread title in OP.
also: remembered to put this here as well:
sketch of Fumbles in panel 3 (source)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

miados
Of Few Words

Re: 10th April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Post by miados » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

hmmm i see maxo actually trying to do six or more even and minmax ends up trying to protect him wrapping that pain cloak around him not realizing its working because of how painful it is for the little guy only for in the end every imprint to go in him since it didnt hurt him at all due to the cloak.

i am about 99.9999 percent sure it wont be the case but still.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 pm

miados wrote:hmmm i see maxo actually trying to do six or more even and minmax ends up trying to protect him wrapping that pain cloak around him not realizing its working because of how painful it is for the little guy only for in the end every imprint to go in him since it didnt hurt him at all due to the cloak.

Yeah, if the pain cloak will protect him, he could probably absorb all of the essences and become the most powerful teller in existence. Maybe even powerful enough to solo Kore to a stalemate just off of premonition like he was a Jedi version of Taskmaster. He already seems to have some pretty insane luck going on... Calling it now. "Jedi Knight Taskmaster: grandmaster of stumble style gung-fu" Fumbles

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Liquidmark wrote:
miados wrote:hmmm i see maxo actually trying to do six or more even and minmax ends up trying to protect him wrapping that pain cloak around him not realizing its working because of how painful it is for the little guy only for in the end every imprint to go in him since it didnt hurt him at all due to the cloak.

Yeah, if the pain cloak will protect him, he could probably absorb all of the essences and become the most powerful teller in existence. Maybe even powerful enough to solo Kore to a stalemate just off of premonition like he was a Jedi version of Taskmaster. He already seems to have some pretty insane luck going on... Calling it now. "Jedi Knight Taskmaster: grandmaster of stumble style gung-fu" Fumbles
Isn't that what Thaco's blindfold does already?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 pm

However, if it wasn't for that sort of behavior, they wouldn't have gotten this far and he did get fumbles to come out of his shell when all the goblins failed. Now they have a squad member that's in a better mental condition when they need him to be mentally strong and they have a ton of new gear and a freaking ring of holding that they can use to transport items and party members. Not to mention that he wouldn't have what's likely the most OP sword in the game so far if it wasn't for his goofy risk-taking behavior.
You're right. They would not have gotten this far. They would have gone much farther without MM.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:44 pm

MinMax was needed to get them all through, and Forgath was needed to fend of Kore in the process. They most certainly wouldn't have "gotten further" without those two. The only thing that really slowed them down were his shenanigans lately and his greed, as well as his eagerness to fight, but I would suspect a broken Fumbles might've slowed them down even more than one distracted by MM. They still shouldn't take the luxury, but I also wouldn't say he's actively showing them down much more than their own distractions are.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Morgaln wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:

Isn't that what Thaco's blindfold does already?
His blindfold gives some combat prediction at the cost of being able to see normally. He also can't use weapons with it. He still has to be a legitimately good fighter without it and it isn't infallible as he still got knocked around a bit with it. What I'm suggesting would be able to boost fumbles from being nearly worthless in a fight to being an expert at at least dodging incoming attacks and capable of coordinating the party strategically. Maybe a level of area awareness concerning not only combat but also detecting traps and possible outcomes. Kind of like that Tom cruise movie "Edge of Tomorrow" without having to actually experience the days over and over again.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:
However, if it wasn't for that sort of behavior, they wouldn't have gotten this far and he did get fumbles to come out of his shell when all the goblins failed. Now they have a squad member that's in a better mental condition when they need him to be mentally strong and they have a ton of new gear and a freaking ring of holding that they can use to transport items and party members. Not to mention that he wouldn't have what's likely the most OP sword in the game so far if it wasn't for his goofy risk-taking behavior.
You're right. They would not have gotten this far. They would have gone much farther without MM.

Nah, if MM and Forgath didn't show up, they would have all gotten gutted at the gateway by Kore a long time ago. MM tends to be a greedy goofball, but only when it doesn't count and he's pretty good at protecting his team and his goofiness stumbles him into some great game-breaking stuff. In fact, he beats the odds by doing some of the silly things he does. He never would have gotten Oblivious if he were any of the other characters in the story besides maybe Fumbles. Most other characters would have gotten slaughtered in the key room or bad ended by Psymax.