May 8, 2017 - Only Souls Pray

Discuss the comic here!
Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: May 8, 2017 - Only Souls Pray

Post by Xavier78 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 am

Guus wrote:in a world where prayer is something that actually grants power (like a religious ritual). That power could very well be recognisable for the demons.
I suppose that makes sense if you view magic as having a smell. Kudos.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon May 15, 2017 7:13 am

Xavier78 wrote:
Guus wrote:in a world where prayer is something that actually grants power (like a religious ritual). That power could very well be recognisable for the demons.
I suppose that makes sense if you view magic as having a smell. Kudos.
It might also be something like an analogy. In Werewolf:the Apocalypse, sensing Wyrm corruption is often described as a smell, even though it's not really sensed through olfactory means but as a supernatural recognition of a spiritual taint on the real world. I can easily imagine the demons doing something similar for a sense that humans just don't share.
I wonder how animals that can sense electromagnetic waves or magnetic fields would describe them, since humans probably don't really have the words for it...

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 am

Morgaln wrote:I wonder how animals that can sense electromagnetic waves or magnetic fields would describe them, since humans probably don't really have the words for it...
While your point is well made, the nitpicker in me wants to point out that humans do sense certain electromagnetic waves very well indeed, and we have a whole lot of language related to that sense: Visible light is a section of the electromagnetic spectrum.

But that's just being picky. You're absolutely right that when we want to talk about animals sensing, for instance, deep infrared wavelengths, we pretty much have to fall back on analogy with our vision, and in many ways that's probably not accurate. And it's just about impossible for us to imagine what it must be like for animals to directly sense magnetic fields.

On the subject of senses... A cool thing I just learned is that humans actually have a very good sense of smell, able to distinguish every bit as many different scents as dogs. It's just that we focus on different ones. As the scientist put it: If you want to track a criminal through the woods by smell, yes, you should turn to a dog. But if you want a sommelier for a high-class restaurant... don't ask a dog to do that!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/humans-s ... oplay=true
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon May 15, 2017 9:07 am

Sessine wrote:
Morgaln wrote:I wonder how animals that can sense electromagnetic waves or magnetic fields would describe them, since humans probably don't really have the words for it...
While your point is well made, the nitpicker in me wants to point out that humans do sense certain electromagnetic waves very well indeed, and we have a whole lot of language related to that sense: Visible light is a section of the electromagnetic spectrum.

But that's just being picky. You're absolutely right that when we want to talk about animals sensing, for instance, deep infrared wavelengths, we pretty much have to fall back on analogy with our vision, and in many ways that's probably not accurate. And it's just about impossible for us to imagine what it must be like for animals to directly sense magnetic fields.

On the subject of senses... A cool thing I just learned is that humans actually have a very good sense of smell, able to distinguish every bit as many different scents as dogs. It's just that we focus on different ones. As the scientist put it: If you want to track a criminal through the woods by smell, yes, you should turn to a dog. But if you want a sommelier for a high-class restaurant... don't ask a dog to do that!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/humans-s ... oplay=true
Feel free to nitpick, it's just what I'd do in the reverse case. You're absolutely right, visible light is of course made from electromagnetic waves of certain wavelengths, and we can see it (therefore, visible).

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Tue May 16, 2017 1:42 am

I foresee that during the upcoming fusion of spiritual energy Fumbles' mustache will become a real mustache, ie. facial hair.

I just wanted to write it down, so in case I am right I can prove that I foresaw it.
In case I am wrong I will of course delete this post ;)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am

Not now, you can't!

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

Arrow wrote:I foresee that during the upcoming fusion of spiritual energy Fumbles' mustache will become a real mustache, ie. facial hair.

I just wanted to write it down, so in case I am right I can prove that I foresaw it.
Don't you ever want to be a Patreon? Don't you ever dream of seeing selections from strips BEFORE the general public? Don't you ever think "Gosh, if I were to join Patreon right now...I might already know better than to embarrass myself with bogus predictions!"

Or..you might say "I'm going to predict something that's already been show to Patreons! That will make me look smart!"

Worth a thought... ;)
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Fumbles tries to stop the ceremony...
... whooops ...

------>ultimate power.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Arrow wrote:I foresee that during the upcoming fusion of spiritual energy Fumbles' mustache will become a real mustache, ie. facial hair.

I waited 3 months to find out - annnnddd - I was wrong :'(