Post by AXIS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 am

I'm down with that.

Maxo Kickasso indeed.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Re: june 21st "Seriously how should I know?"

Post by Rooks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 am

Krulle wrote:
Rooks wrote:You don't know what to do? C'mon now. You get up there and kick some teller ass! However this "embrace" works, you roll a natural 20 and then get prepared to own Kore when he comes sauntering through the door.
Issue is, we know the next critical throw will be a one. So not a twenty...
For real? When did we learn that?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 am

Rooks wrote:
Krulle wrote:
Rooks wrote:You don't know what to do? C'mon now. You get up there and kick some teller ass! However this "embrace" works, you roll a natural 20 and then get prepared to own Kore when he comes sauntering through the door.
Issue is, we know the next critical throw will be a one. So not a twenty...
For real? When did we learn that?
The loot MM and Fumbles grabbed earlier included a staff that could predict a critical roll - http://www.goblinscomic.org/01092017-2/ (panels 8 & 11)
Later on it isn't seen in the loot that survived - http://www.goblinscomic.org/03212017-2/

That said I'd expect that the critical fumble has already been used by this point, like Complains being unable to remove the LOL pearl from his fingers - http://www.goblinscomic.org/01172017-2/ (panel 2)

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 am

Glemp wrote:The loot MM and Fumbles grabbed earlier included a staff that could predict a critical roll - http://www.goblinscomic.org/01092017-2/ (panels 8 & 11)
Later on it isn't seen in the loot that survived - http://www.goblinscomic.org/03212017-2/

That said I'd expect that the critical fumble has already been used by this point, like Complains being unable to remove the LOL pearl from his fingers - http://www.goblinscomic.org/01172017-2/ (panel 2)
Took me awhile of looking at that page to figure out how we knew it was a 1. Man... Thunt and his details. I miss so much of the details. Thanks for helping me keep up guys!

Someguy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Someguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:59 pm

So is Fumbles going Captain Planet or Power Rangers Megazord?

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Someguy wrote:So is Fumbles going Captain Planet or Power Rangers Megazord?
i'd say closer to piccolo when he absorbs nail and kami.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:40 am

The staff is still visible on this page.

The staff has a little knob on the end, which appears to light up and project the "1." On the next page the knob is still visible, but there's no number above it. I took that to mean that the staff turns on right before the roll and turns off when the roll is finished.

I actually thought the roll was for perception or insight or something along those lines. MinMax has that lousy wisdom. Hence he's very likely to crit on an insight roll. It doesn't say the failure is a natural one.

I can't even find official 3.5e rules for crits! It appears that the "natural one = auto fail" is now considered a house rule anyhow.

I'm half expecting the staff to show up in the next update with a nice little 20 on it.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

xanth
Remains Silent

Post by xanth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:49 pm

New person here. I just discovered the forum.

I am thinking that when Fumbles goes to fight the 5 spirits, he will level up after defeating one of them, possibly the 2nd or 3rd. When that happens, his health would return to full, allowing him to finish the fight.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:31 pm

You know, that does seem pretty likely, now that you mention it. Welcome to the forums. :-)

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:55 pm

xanth wrote:New person here. I just discovered the forum.

I am thinking that when Fumbles goes to fight the 5 spirits, he will level up after defeating one of them, possibly the 2nd or 3rd. When that happens, his health would return to full, allowing him to finish the fight.
while i know that happens in like skyrim or world of warcraft in every version of dungeons and dragons i have played we only level up and heal after a rest. I am fairly sure he wont have time for a rest between spirit fights. of course this is not pure d and d so obviously its not identical.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:The staff is still visible on this page.

The staff has a little knob on the end, which appears to light up and project the "1." On the next page the knob is still visible, but there's no number above it. I took that to mean that the staff turns on right before the roll and turns off when the roll is finished.
It may just be, that the staff only lights on when being held/equipped....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

DoesNotRiskTraining
Remains Silent

Post by DoesNotRiskTraining » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 am

I'm wondering if the teller ceremony's game mechanic could be an "each imprint takes you up a level, but if you don't have the XP you die trying" training event. It's a long time since I played D&D, but IIRC there was an optional rule that characters didn't go up a level immediately after getting enough XP, to get the level up they had to visit a trainer (assumed to be available at their guild).

Will "teller" be an extra class added to Fumbles' classes? I guessing the ceremony might already have changed Fumbles from an 11-class character to a single-class teller, level 1 but with enough XP to reach 5-7th level.

Maybe Awkward Silence wasn't a myth, but was a character who had taken adventurer levels. As an adventurer no statue would have been carved in his memory, so he'd fade in to myth.
( http://www.goblinscomic.org/02052006/ ).

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm just wondering if Fumbles' strange staff of Anti-Magic or whatever is going to come into play. If one of those teller imprints touches it, will they be zapped out of existence? Could they be absorbed into it in an instant, and he collects them one by one over time that way instead, becoming the most powerful goblin to ever grace the face of the earth? Maybe it will give him an edge with this 'embracing' fight thing that's going to happen.
The point is to have fun.

raj72616a
Remains Silent

Post by raj72616a » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm

since Fumbles has 7 classes, maybe he can do 7!

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 pm

raj72616a wrote:since Fumbles has 7 classes, maybe he can do 7!
He's got 11 classes. Where's that 7 coming from? I read it the second time now in this thread.

Btw... I just read the whole comic over once again. No mention about the layer of hell Not-Walter is coming from. And we've got at least one individual who knows his real name. Also this one person is possibly in possession of a nifty tool which can teleport persons to other persons... I know Thunt is very creative with his plot and everything, but I can see at least two paths leading the GAP to a layer of hell.

But for now I can't wait to see the outcome of the teller ceremony. My bets are on Fumbles becoming one of the most powerful tellers in history.

LovesLife
Remains Silent

Post by LovesLife » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:24 am

I am unsure if this theory has been mentioned before, but does it say anywhere that these teller imprints do not have a conscience? Because in my mind, it would be possible that the five imprints ALLOW Fumbles to embrace them, rather than be eaten by a demon. It would make sense that the imprints fight off anyone trying to "absorb" them under normal circumstances, but if the choice is this bad...
Anyhow, that would require them to be able to choose whether to resist or not to. Any ideas from your side?

Just a thought that hit me yesterday and I could not resist re-creating my account for it :)

(I joined the "old-old" forum back during the brassmoon story arch, when Thaco stared up at the empty crucifix where Fumbles had been mutilated by GS, and also joined with a random theory - which came true. So I kind of hope to do this again this time, joining the forum with a good call ;) Good to be back in any case.)

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 am

LovesLife wrote:I am unsure if this theory has been mentioned before, but does it say anywhere that these teller imprints do not have a conscience? Because in my mind, it would be possible that the five imprints ALLOW Fumbles to embrace them, rather than be eaten by a demon. It would make sense that the imprints fight off anyone trying to "absorb" them under normal circumstances, but if the choice is this bad...
Anyhow, that would require them to be able to choose whether to resist or not to. Any ideas from your side?

Just a thought that hit me yesterday and I could not resist re-creating my account for it :)

(I joined the "old-old" forum back during the brassmoon story arch, when Thaco stared up at the empty crucifix where Fumbles had been mutilated by GS, and also joined with a random theory - which came true. So I kind of hope to do this again this time, joining the forum with a good call ;) Good to be back in any case.)
I have wondered this myself, but the goblins discussed the ceremony in detail and no one brought it up. So if it's true, Fumbles doesn't know it's true. But it seems pretty clear that because so may candidates die, the goblins would have considered this as well.

My personal theory is that Fumbles has profound personality changes that sometimes occur in people who go through extreme trauma. (There's even a name for this--positive posttraumatic growth.)In DnD terms, he might have had a dramatic jump in wisdom.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:I have wondered this myself, but the goblins discussed the ceremony in detail and no one brought it up. So if it's true, Fumbles doesn't know it's true. But it seems pretty clear that because so may candidates die, the goblins would have considered this as well.

My personal theory is that Fumbles has profound personality changes that sometimes occur in people who go through extreme trauma. (There's even a name for this--positive posttraumatic growth.)In DnD terms, he might have had a dramatic jump in wisdom.
At the same time, I'd wager this is the first time a teller ceremony has been performed while battling soul eating demons. :lol: I'd guess this is normally done as an event where all the goblins of the tribe gather to watch the new teller take his/her place (i.e. a save place for the teller souls to fight back).

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:51 am

Rooks wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:I have wondered this myself, but the goblins discussed the ceremony in detail and no one brought it up. So if it's true, Fumbles doesn't know it's true. But it seems pretty clear that because so may candidates die, the goblins would have considered this as well.

At the same time, I'd wager this is the first time a teller ceremony has been performed while battling soul eating demons. :lol: I'd guess this is normally done as an event where all the goblins of the tribe gather to watch the new teller take his/her place (i.e. a save place for the teller souls to fight back).
Given Cryptic Falls' track record with this sort of thing I wouldn't make that bet! :D

There's another part that I should have made clearer. If the tellers can choose whether to kill or keep, or even whether to play it safe and go back to the afterlife, or to take the risk, then the clan could try and figure out a candidate choice for maxing the process.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:53 pm

The debate over the form of ceremony to create a Teller is excellent folks. I'm enjoying the speculation.

Engaging Speculation Engine - I think that:

* Our clan Cryptic Falls Clan teller ceremony is probably different to other ceremonies, and in this location, very different indeed. We have character classes and alignments to contend with now. I imagine this will alter the results, possibly enhancing the capacity to take on imprints and the interaction with the imprints. We might have more combat capability and less family capability for the resulting teller. If the class of Teller is able to be taken upon Fumbles.

* Tarol likes to layer his PC's with many complex competing things. Take the Shield of Wonder - how complex was that and what layers of impact did that have on the play. Similar to the number of magical artefacts that was pulled out of the wall. Simply too numerous for most to consider. Then the Maze of Many - numerous permutations there also. We have the Klik's which have numerous variations also. I think the imprints of tellers will have a multitude of layers of magic and experience to put into our beloved Fumbles, and it might turn him into the Monster of a Goblin that he was feared to be by Goblin Slayer. (but I doubt it) I think he will have a table next to his character of new spells and abilities available to use depending on variables that are hard to identify and harder to use constructively.

* MinMax's armour is supposedly to have different attributes depending on the colour it is. We have no understanding of this. and with that armour on MinMax, and him pulling out items no description of the armour was provided by the revelation wall. My get out of jail guess is that the armor needs to be over 50% fully in the wall to be identified.

* I am interested in the impact of levels on the Goblins, on what levels the tellers imprints might be and how that affects the imprinting on Fumbles. Harm or Help. I honestly think that Fumbles plan to have all the alignments will be advantaged by this decision to become a Teller - and even though some say he has 1/11th of all the classes, I think he is levelling up all of them at different rates, so his fighter class and his healer class are at different speeds. I imagine that a second decision to take the experience of all those classes and combine them into one, could happen. and since a fighting experience gains XP, and a healing experience gains XP, and a character acting gains XP, when that experience gets combined together, he will turn out to be a higher level character than people here expect.

~~tofu~~

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Tofu, I think you're on to something with Fumbles' eleven classes.

I too was pondering the effect of him having so many classes. He's been having adventures and accumulating XP, but because it's been distributed eleven ways -- unlike the rest of the party, he hasn't leveled up in any of those classes. So he has all this pent-up XP.

And the Teller ceremony really is something special and different in Goblin culture. It's clearly a house-rules thing. For the usual non-adventurer candidate with zero XP, it creates a spellcaster. In other words, it bestows, essentially, a class: Teller, by requiring the candidate to struggle to absorb the spirits of previous tellers. One is doable. Two is already dangerous. There's probably a save required for each one, and there might be modifiers for Con as well as Wis.

BUT. Fumbles has unused XP. He may find that the ceremony causes him to stop being eleven different classes, and start being his one new class: Teller. To which he can apply that XP!

Which would mean this scene coming up is pivotal. It's what Fumbles has been about since the very beginning!
► Show Spoiler

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Question

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:12 am

In D&D Thunt Edition, will the two active rage states from party members grant any bonuses to Fumbles?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:03 am

Sessine wrote:BUT. Fumbles has unused XP. He may find that the ceremony causes him to stop being eleven different classes, and start being his one new class: Teller. To which he can apply that XP!
I doubt that Teller is a class. More likely it's a template. And it's more probable that the template does something like "-1 CON per spirit absorbed", so a lack of multiple class levels may well hurt rather than help (since if you get four levels in one class, you'll get a +1 bonus which could go into CON...while one level in four classes, let alone 4/11 of a level each in all your classes, doesn't get you there. (And what the hell does Fumbles's HD even look like? Does he get a full HP for each of his 11ths of a Barbarian level, since they get 12 HP at first level? His Sorcerer and Wizard levels are d4s, so even if all his HD are maximized, he'd only barely be past 1 HP total from all of them. Of course, he may well have a magnificent CON bonus, due to surviving all those fumbles, although being tortured might well have reduced that already...but then, Thunt's attitude on victims/survivors probably wouldn't indicate that he'd show trauma in such punishing terms.)

Baphomet
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baphomet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:The staff is still visible on this page.

I actually thought the roll was for perception or insight or something along those lines. MinMax has that lousy wisdom. Hence he's very likely to crit on an insight roll. It doesn't say the failure is a natural one.

I can't even find official 3.5e rules for crits! It appears that the "natural one = auto fail" is now considered a house rule anyhow.

I'm half expecting the staff to show up in the next update with a nice little 20 on it.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Saving ... _Successes

In 3.5, a 20 on an attack roll or saving throw automatically succeeds, while a 1 automatically fails. So, 5% of level one commoners resist the epic wizard's mass mind control spell, and 5% of their arrows manage to get through the epic demon's Armor of Invincibility (but possibly not its damage resistance). However, this is explicitly not the case with skill checks. If it were the case, someone with no ranks in a skill could succeed in epic-level skill checks 5% of the time. In fact, skill checks have an alternate system. Assuming you're not threatened and there is no price for attempted retries, you can "take twenty" on a skill check, where you just assume you retried until you rolled a 20. Your check result is still 20 + your skill modifier, but it represents essentially you doing the best you can at something. If that total still isn't high enough to beat the DC for the skill check, you still don't pass, and it is not possible for you to pass at your skill level.

Many people houserule that you can crit skill checks anyway. If you come across such a person, try to resist immediately trying everything on this page until they work:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm
"Yes, this turn, I'm going to autohypnotize myself into having damage resistance and more HP, then I'm going to run straight up this wall and across this ceiling, and balance on a cloud."

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:44 am

Baphomet wrote:Many people houserule that you can crit skill checks anyway. If you come across such a person, try to resist immediately trying everything on this page until they work:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm
"Yes, this turn, I'm going to autohypnotize myself into having damage resistance and more HP, then I'm going to run straight up this wall and across this ceiling, and balance on a cloud."
I definitely believe Herbert could be one of these DMs.