june 21st "Seriously how should I know?"

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: june 21st "Seriously how should I know?"

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:41 am

I do it with my players, but even a 20 will fail if it doesn't beat the DC unless I Rule of Cool it (which is more often than not because it's more fun).
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Baphomet
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baphomet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I do it with my players, but even a 20 will fail if it doesn't beat the DC unless I Rule of Cool it (which is more often than not because it's more fun).
So you make the houserule that rolling a 20 succeeds skill checks regardless, except if rolling a 20 doesn't beat the skill check? I don't understand how that's any different from usual. Unless you just mean that they autofail when they roll a 1, even on simple tasks with DCs lower than their skill levels, in which case that seems unnecessarily cruel. Especially if they want to, say, go swimming.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am

Baphomet wrote:
Aegis J Hyena wrote:I do it with my players, but even a 20 will fail if it doesn't beat the DC unless I Rule of Cool it (which is more often than not because it's more fun).
So you make the houserule that rolling a 20 succeeds skill checks regardless, except if rolling a 20 doesn't beat the skill check? I don't understand how that's any different from usual.
He just means he's more likely to handwave it than a more conservative, "the rules are the rules" kind of DM might be. (Such creatures definitely exist. My ranger has a +2 to skill checks against them.)