July 17th, 2017 - Expeditious Retreat

Discuss the comic here!
Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Re: July 17th, 2017 - Expeditious Retreat

Post by Morgaln » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

How the hell can the spirits be between Thaco and Ears? The two were lying no more than 10 feet apart, and nowhere near the door that the gate appeared in front of. Is everyone just teleporting around the room?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Overshot wrote:
Corrupt User wrote:Best case scenario? Names steps in to protect his dad, but his "absorption" of the tellers' essences essentially means he gets their souls. But since he has their souls, he can resurrect them at will the way the demoness did with Biscuit. So yeah Kore, go have fun fighting off 15 spellcasters that can resurrect indefinitely. Low level or not, you are going to fail the occasional saving throw, and run out of magic at some point. You thought fighting a dwarf with a +7 weapon was bad, just wait till you also fight a regenerating demon that tumbles his way to a +12 weapon.
This is so far fetched.

If this happens, I will eat my hat.
This is so awesome. I want it very badly.

If this happens, I will go out and buy a really snazzy hat and wear it while posting. My town has several upscale haberdasheries which I would never otherwise consider patronizing.

Corrupt User
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Corrupt User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 pm

thinkslogically wrote:But he's fumbles, so 3 nat 20s seems unlikely. 3 Nat 1s on the other hand could cancel each other out if he does well enough on the fumble table...
...unless he's been fumbling his rolls all his life to build up enough karma to roll enough nat 20's to absorb all the souls.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Vorpaaaaaaaaal Kickaasssooooooo
► Show Spoiler
But seriously. They suffer so much. :( Please let them survive, somehow. Let them win something.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Ah, right, the pain cloak. Blech, I don't want that thing to actually become a thing.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Corrupt User
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Corrupt User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Pain cloak protects against all physical damage. I don't think the essences are physical.

And besides, Ears is in negative hit points; the only goblins that can move are Names and Fumbles, the others can only be bait.

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GuessesWildly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Here's the thing. If Fumbles goes in heroically to take on the imprints and dies, I'll be okay with his death. He decided to act to save his friends. But if Fumbles runs away and another Goblin is killed because of this, I won't be okay with that at all. Fumbles will blame himself, his character growth will be negated, and he'll fall back into self-doubt and uselessness. The most useful thing Fumbles could do right now is sacrifice himself, because if he doesn't then he'll probably never get to a point where he could be of any use.

Augustavian
Remains Silent

Post by Augustavian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Maybe a team effort between Names and Fumbles? Names absorbs a bunch of them, leaving a low enough number that it won't kill Fumbles? Can a demon become a teller? I think that'll be the question to answer, if not, then Names can get his demon on and eat some souls without becoming a teller, thus not ending the ritual.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:16 pm

...yeah... I'm not optimistic here. It's a total crap shoot between this being another death or having one of them get insanely lucky and I'm not sure which I honestly prefer (storywise I mean). Saying that, if Thaco sacrifices himself so the others can escape, then surely that makes him the next Teller of the clan (albeit briefly) and he will then become the first "essence" to emerge for Fumbles the next time they perform the ritual. Right now, that's the only way I can see this resolving sensibly without resorting to horrible levels of DM fiat.

hypothetical
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Hypothetical

Post by hypothetical » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Minnie and Vorpal and going to join forces, and become Maxxo-Kickasso for real? A single Teller split between two bodies, rotating the huge number of Imprints between them to maintain balance?
I think I may be thinking, therefore I may possibly be being.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

And Thaco as imprinting spirit?
That'll be one of the best spirits you could want to embrace!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Restomak
Mutters to Themself

Post by Restomak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 pm

I can't believe the sheer amount of chaos that has happened in this single room. What's next, Kore showing up mid dealing with the imprints?

Augustavian
Remains Silent

Post by Augustavian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am

Oooh, Kore showing up, that's something else that could happen to those teller souls....he shows up and adds a bunch of teller souls to his collection, then an epic battle of Kore vs Minmax, Names and Fumbles breaks out.

And for a daily dose of unrealistic optimism....they somehow break him free of his curse and he heals the downed party members.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 pm

I call KickAsso! Not sure what the explanation for his triumphant survival will be, but some combination of his 11 classes and his staff + items.
Also, I can see why this would be a time consuming page. Take care THunt!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:32 pm

1. Thaco is my favorite.
2. I just finished catching up with Season 12 of Supernatural.

I do not want to see more major character deaths at this time. :|

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

So vague spoiler maybe

But from Thunts twitter
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 am

Thunt did allude to the fact that the ceremony isn't pleasant. Hopefully, Fumbles makes it through.

On another note, seeing the skeleton is pretty neat.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:41 am

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 am

Dammit Thaco, give Fumbles a chance at glory before the others from the demon layer come and eat the souls themselves!
Restomak wrote:I can't believe the sheer amount of chaos that has happened in this single room. What's next, Kore showing up mid dealing with the imprints?
Never give the DM ideas. >:D
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Those are soul imprints, not actual souls...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Krulle wrote: @Forgets: you forgot Taps and Asks Nonsense, but then, they never were "major", nor featured much more than their own death. (I found Taps' death the best illustration of a death so far.)
And you forgot that Lizardfolk, K'Seliss. Although he had by far the best last line so far.
I'm gonna shut up now.
So true about K'Seliss! I knew I would miss something. But Taps and Asks...kind of minor. I also left off the Dwarven Boy and Hawl. I count them as minor even though it was a memorable moment.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

RUMBLETiGER
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RUMBLETiGER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 am

What I'm hoping for...
► Show Spoiler
Edit by mod: I put your little gif into a spoiler to help people a) who are using a mobile phone to read the forums and b) people who might not be comfortable by bright, flashing light effects. You did nothing wrong, this is just an information and trying to look out for others. :thumbsup:

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 am

And all this discussion, plus the spoiler, makes me wonder how many imprints Young-and-Beautiful took on when she became a teller.... Was she a two imprint teller? If so, she was almost able to keep up with a level 1 Forgath. But if she was a 1 imprint teller, then maybe each imprint is connected to a level, and so now that there's about fifteen of these... whichever goblin takes them on could become crazy strong.

Then again, she doesn't strike me as the kind to only take on one imprint. Too prideful for that. So if she was a two, or maybe even three imprint teller, it could be that every two or three imprints equals a level, which means that goblin could become anywhere from 5-10 levels of Teller.

Then AGAIN, maybe it's exponential. One imprint is described as a very weak teller, and two is a good bit stronger... three is very powerful and four is crazy strong, 6 is legendary and mythical...
The point is to have fun.

RUMBLETiGER
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RUMBLETiGER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am

Fumbles has a few things going for him that all other potential Goblin Tellers haven't before:
-Class Levels
-Equipped with Magic Items, including a staff no one still knows the effects of
-Whatever the new fast healing ability was confirmed here: http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p216086
-The help of his friends

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:14 am

AXIS wrote:So vague spoiler maybe

But from Thunts twitter
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
The preview is up on Patreon.
► Show Spoiler
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.