July 24th, 2017 - Has to work...

Discuss the comic here!
rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Re: Has to work...

Post by rwstyles » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:40 am

TheSedated wrote:Oof... Fumbles... damn. I did see it coming. I so totally hope he's strong enough to survive this. I don't want to see him die just yet, now that he starts to get some self confidence and some courage. He totally deserves it and I guess becoming a 15 imprint teller will put him into the position he deserves.
I am guessing that his ... experiences ... at the hands of the madman in the city will have strengthened him.

The old "I've done worse" syndrome.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: July 24th, 2017 - Has to work...

Post by Glemp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm

The Pain Cloak seems to be a dark blue: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04032017-2 After the page following, neither it nor the Axe have turned up.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 pm

redfeather wrote:
Derkins wrote:I'm more interested in the pain cloak.
I had the same thought, but Thunt posted an Alternate Realities card that listed this as the "Shadowfire Cloak", so it's apparently not the pain cloak.
Interesting. Do we know what it does?

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:20 pm

redfeather wrote:
Derkins wrote:I'm more interested in the pain cloak.
I had the same thought, but Thunt posted an Alternate Realities card that listed this as the "Shadowfire Cloak", so it's apparently not the pain cloak.
Interesting. Do we know what the shadowfire cloak does?
Augustavian wrote: [the pain cloak] only makes the wearer immune to physical damage
-- thank you Augustavian, I missed that.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Where did that black cloak come from? I don't recall seeing it in the loot pile"
ImageImage
[edit](sorry, cannot get the second image url on this device, pulled the one shown from the Shit... G:AR thread....)edited in the first image[/edit]

So, not much info about the Shadowflame cloak, if it even does the same in G:AR and the comic...
Last edited by Krulle on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks Krulle. If it increases atk and def then I guess the Shadowflame cloak wouldn't help him much in this case. Bummer. At least it came in handy with the flea demon, and he should still have a much higher cr than any normal goblin attempting this ritual.

I'm trying to speculate about what level he is likely actually at now. He had just hit level two when he went into Brassmoon city. I assumed he didn't earn XP while he was locked away in his own mind, but who knows. Evading Kore's blade and surviving a physical encounter with him is probably worth a lot, considering Kore is basically invincible. He got through the room of magical vines where Thaco picked up his blindfold (seefold?), although he didn't do much. He got through all of the rooms with their look-a-likes, and now he single-handed defeated a flea demon. He found a secret door at some point, and he was the one to figure out the entrance. He helped a lot with the door golem, and he probably got some role-playing xp in there too, for getting so into his character. All in all he has gone through some pretty challenging encounters way above what is meant for a lvl 2 player. so yeah, he probably shot past level 3 already, and maybe level 4 as well, as TheSedated pointed out. The rest of the group may already be working toward lvl 6 by the time they are all healed.

I looked it up in the DMG, and yes, 1cr= about 1 PC level (I feel like I'm cheating). That means at lvl 1 Fumbles was three times stronger than a normal goblin. At lvl 2 he was 6 times stronger, at lvl 3 he is 9 times stronger, and at lvl 4 he is 12 times stronger. It may not translate directly like that, but with his high wisdom I would honestly be surprised if Fumbles didn't survive this. I think his Goblin friends are, as per usual, severely underestimating him.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 am

Derkins wrote:Thanks Krulle.

I looked it up in the DMG, and yes, 1cr= about 1 PC level (I feel like I'm cheating). That means at lvl 1 Fumbles was three times stronger than a normal goblin. At lvl 2 he was 6 times stronger, at lvl 3 he is 9 times stronger, and at lvl 4 he is 12 times stronger. It may not translate directly like that, but with his high wisdom I would honestly be surprised if Fumbles didn't survive this. I think his Goblin friends are, as per usual, severely underestimating him.
I don't recall Fumbles ever mentioning a level up--correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to me that he should be at least as high as the other goblins because he participated in about half the battles and has all that extra XP from the doll quest, from being captured and tortured. I think the others are currently level 4? They leveled up in Brassmoon and I sort of recall them getting another level in whatever the current dungeon is called, which would make them 5ish.

I'm not sure how that applies to Kickasseo, but he could be a level 2 fighter, a level 2 wizard, etc. He's not cast any spells though. But if not for the 11 classes bit I'd expect him to be 3-5, and probably closer to 5 than 3.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Eaglem
Remains Silent

Post by Eaglem » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Changes_everything wrote:
WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
DoesNotRiskTraining wrote:The Staff of Notangle sounds as if it would break the Axe of Prissian, if the Axe was really was the prison-Prissian that Big Ears believed it to be.
Isn't that what happened here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04132016-2
Finally this makes sense! Well spotted!
WAIT!!
► Show Spoiler

Gilby
Remains Silent

Post by Gilby » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 pm

TheSedated wrote:Oof... Fumbles... damn. I did see it coming. I so totally hope he's strong enough to survive this. I don't want to see him die just yet, now that he starts to get some self confidence and some courage. He totally deserves it and I guess becoming a 15 imprint teller will put him into the position he deserves.
Was it mentioned? Would each imprint basically be a level of teller(cleric)?

The Wyrm Ouroboros
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Wyrm Ouroboros » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 pm

To survive imprinting, a goblin Teller-to-be has to fight with the imprinting spirits, and yet not fight them. IMO, it seems clear - Fumbles 'simply' needs to channel the imprinting spirits, directing them to help him in his fight against the 'flea demons' - to fight with them, to fight alongside them, not against them, and yet keep his sense of self clear enough to not be destroyed by a major case of MPD.

In regards to his level, remember that Fumbles is - or rather, has been - a 4/16th-level Everything. (One crazy GM, that's what that is.)
New Update 4/10/15!! Pananagutan - A Limited-Ongoing Tale
Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!
La├®s is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:37 am

*rubs hands*

Thunt says the update is on tommorrow.

Can't wait to see this.

Hopefully has some resolution.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:47 am

No, Fumbles does not need to "fight" the imprinting spirits.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04102017-2 wrote:Minmax: Hey. Hey Names, don't do some ceremony that can kill Kickaxo.
Complains of Names: Every teller that has died since the creation of our clan, has left an imprint. A weaker copy of the power they wielded.

Complains of Names: Once the ceremony starts, each past teller's imprint will appear, one by one. If Fumbles embraces that power when only one imprint is present, he's pretty much guaranteed to survive, but he'll be a very weak teller with almost no ability to see into the future or cast spells. Most Goblins aim for two imprints. Still a very good chance of surviving and the level of power is good enough to help the clan, somewhat. So don't worry about Fumbles, we know what we're doing.

Fumbles: I'm gonna aim for six imprints!
Big Ears: No you're not, Vorpal. No one has ever survived more than four imprints.

Fumbles: Nuh uh, legends say that a Goblin called Awkward Silence, once became teller by embracing six imprints!
Big Ears: That's a myth, Vorpal. I want you aiming for one, maybe two imprints.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/05012017-2 wrote:Minmax: I don't get how this whole imprint thing works. He has to fight them? Hug them? What's the deal?
Complains of Names (magic): Great Goblin God. We, the clan of the Cryptic Fall, ask you to release the power of our past fortune tellers so that...

Thaco: Not exactly. He has to kind of... embrace them.
Minmax: That's what a hug is, Taco.
Big Ears: Well it's more like... embrace them in a battle, kind of.
Minmax: That's what fighting is, Big Yellow.
Big Ears: "Big Yellow" is not my name, Minmax. Please call me by my actual name.
Minmax: Oh. Sorry, Yellow Ears.
So he needs to "embrace" the imprints.
He might need to fight off the power they bring and which may be killing him, but then he will have to channel the same energy for his own use.
He needs to embrace and welcome the spirit, in the sense that the spirit comes to him, and gives him its power (likely by transferring a prt of its personality onto his own personality), but without letting the spirit replace his personality ("Fumbles"/"SVK"). Now, "embracing" the one-by-one is already hard to do, but having to do all of them at the same time?

Here, his split personality "Fumbles/Senor Vorpal" may come in handy. He jsut becomes 17 personalities (or even more).

Also: Dang. The webiste update broke most of the links to the comic pages. I will have to go through all of the posts and update the links again. (the "-2" (or -3,-6) of the date-2 was added automagically in previous times, so I left them out. Page updates due to shading or same-day error repairs (which increase the -digit) then automagically got sorted out in the links, now this is gone and all links are broken...)

Sometime later. Not now.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 am

That and he's the only Teller in history to have adventuring levels, something that made both Fox and Thac0 more resilient to damage. It's possible that Fumbles will become the most powerful Teller ever as a result.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 am

The Wyrm Ouroboros wrote: In regards to his level, remember that Fumbles is - or rather, has been - a 4/16th-level Everything. (One crazy GM, that's what that is.)
Where do you get the n/16 from? Fumbles has 11 classes.

Still, as (at most) 4/11 of classes, he's basically completely incompetent still. Probably cannot even wear armor right. And with the Paladin thingie, he shouldn't even be able to get past 1/11 Paladin level (or 1). His sheet is a complete toss-up, and if anything splitting your classes will make you weaker, not stronger. So I doubt him becoming an adventurer even helps.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 am

Guus wrote:
The Wyrm Ouroboros wrote: In regards to his level, remember that Fumbles is - or rather, has been - a 4/16th-level Everything. (One crazy GM, that's what that is.)
Where do you get the n/16 from? Fumbles has 11 classes.

Still, as (at most) 4/11 of classes, he's basically completely incompetent still. Probably cannot even wear armor right. And with the Paladin thingie, he shouldn't even be able to get past 1/11 Paladin level (or 1). His sheet is a complete toss-up, and if anything splitting your classes will make you weaker, not stronger. So I doubt him becoming an adventurer even helps.
Technically we don't know he's 4/11 of anything. We don't know how much XP he's earned, which could make him 6/11. Or 2/11. Or whatever--this is some odd house rule that someone is making up along. It's also possible he's level 5 + 1/11 in one thing, and level 1/11 in the other ten classes. Or maybe he's level 4/5/6/whatever in some unusual class that combines every class.

There's a rule in GURPS where you can spend a half point and get a middling ability in just about anything--cooking, persuasion, diplomacy, lock-picking, reading. I once built a character minmaxed around that rule and she was pretty damn useful. Weak, yes, but she could have bound everyone's wounds, jammed the door, booby-trapped the floor, found a way to distract the tellers, and taught MinMax how to dress himself by now.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Th'reader
Remains Silent

Post by Th'reader » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am

I never quite understood Fumbles' choice of being all 11 character classes (barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer and wizard).

In D&D version 3.0/3.5 (upon which the comic's role-play mechanics are <edit>loosely</edit> based), some of those character classes have alignment restrictions that are diametrically opposed to other classes. For example, both barbarian and bard can be any non-lawful alignment. But monk requires any lawful alignment, and paladin requires lawful-good.

I suppose since Fumbles is breaking the rule (allowing monsters to take adventuring levels), he might as well break others (not being bound by class alignment restrictions).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:33 am

Fumbles is the one character who we've heard the least discussion from re. his own mechanical choices. As far as I remember, we've only seen anything like this when he took all the classes, declared his dodge for a while and then attempted to cast 1/11th of a sleep spell.

We've never had confirmation (either meta or IC) that fumbles is actually any of the classes he said he was. He could just be a normal goblin who's about to become dead or a super-teller, or a level 0 pc who's saved up enough exp to take a major level jump when he eventually agrees on a rules-legal way to spend them.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 am

Well, at least the other goblins accepted his being "1/11th" of every class, or at the very least "2/11" after the warcamp battle (as they question which class gives something at 2/11th, instead of questioning the concept as a whole). So either they don't question Fumbles' position, or they are just letting him be his wacky self because he is a complete fool.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Chives
Remains Silent

Post by Chives » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 am

As a bit of good news(?) if Fumbles is alive and okay the extra teller souls will be lighting the GAP up like a neon all-you-can-eat buffet.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 am

Those are not souls. Otherwise the flea demons would have snacked them first, I presume.
Those are "imprints", I personally imagine them as a kind of memory signature, that transfers onto the teller-to-be.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Krulle wrote:Those are not souls. Otherwise the flea demons would have snacked them first, I presume.
Those are "imprints", I personally imagine them as a kind of memory signature, that transfers onto the teller-to-be.
They are souls; the Flea Demon *did* intend to snack on them, that's why he re-apparated in the first place. But the goblins were between his manifestation and the spot where the goblin souls were emerging (given that he's some sort of extradimensional being, it's curious that he didn't just hang out closer to said spot, but presumably this was because the encounter needed to happen).

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:11 am

I do not see that the flea demon tried to snack on the imprints. I read it as trying to devour the party members.
They basically ignored the free and defenceless imprints.

He also said he went to this room because of the prayer Complains of Names did to start the teller-ceremony.
The party only talks about "imprints", not about "souls" of past fortune tellers.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04102017-2 wrote:Complains of Names: Every teller that has died since the creation of our clan, has left an imprint. A weaker copy of the power they wielded.

Also, the ceremony reads:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/05012017-2 wrote:Complains of Names: Great Goblin God. We, the clan of the Cryptic Fall, ask you to release the power of our past fortune tellers so that...

Complains of Names: too small to be read, and not intended to be read by the readers to the Goblin God.

Complains of Names: ... and we understand that once you start the ceremony, it will not end until a Goblin either becomes our new teller or dies trying.

Complains of Names: So... start. Or make it go or whatever. Begin.
And on the next page:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/05082017-2 wrote:Al Dentista: I told you I could smell a prayer.
Al Dentista: Only souls pray.
I took this as a reference to CoN's soul and prayer. Not to the imprints coming up.

Also, while reading a bit through the transcripts, I noticed something which might explain the levitation of Fumbles:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04032017-2 wrote:Wall of Knowledge: Item Enchanter: Leviate
Wall of Knowledge: This single use potion can permanently enchant an item, causing that item to grant limited bursts of `levitation┬┤ to any individual in contact with it. This potion is meant to be poured onto a wearable item like a rind, so that it can be easily kept in contact with the individual. While levitating, the enchanted item will ignite into magical flames that don't radiate any hear.
Maybe Fumbles would've fallen down, out of the power, but the levitation has kept him up, and thus in danger? - Probably not, as he was not "on fire", nor any of his equipment was "on fire" at the time of levitation.

BTW: can some Patreon provide me with the full text of CoN's small print from the HD-version of the page of 1 May? (for the transcription thread)
If not, no worries... If yes, thank you very much!

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 am

redfeather wrote:
Krulle wrote:Those are not souls. Otherwise the flea demons would have snacked them first, I presume.
They are souls; the Flea Demon *did* intend to snack on them, that's why he re-apparated in the first place. But the goblins were between his manifestation and the spot where the goblin souls were emerging (given that he's some sort of extradimensional being, it's curious that he didn't just hang out closer to said spot, but presumably this was because the encounter needed to happen).
The goblins were nowhere near where the imprints appeared, and the only goblin somewhat in the demons' way was Complains. Look at the third panel of this page: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/05012017-2 It tells us exacly where everyone was at that time.
The imprints appeared on the pedestal right in front of the huge door. The demons broke through the wall right where Complains and Minmax are. In order to reach Thaco, the demons had to go past the imprints, completely ignoring them. It's pretty clear they were not there for the imprints.

Of course characters get moved in completely different positions for no reason at all by the comic, so you cannot believe anything the comics shows you in the first place. Point in case: look at panel three again and especially note the relative positions of Thaco and Ears. Now look at panel 2 in this comic http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-18. There is no way that the imprints can approach Thaco from the front and yet be between Thaco and Ears. It's only possible if one of the two changed position. Since Thaco and Ears are both immobile, those two panels are mutually exclusive, one cannot be true while the other is.