Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
Matney X
Whispers Softly

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by Matney X » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:11 am

DragonTurtle wrote:
BadgeAddict wrote:One other thing I noticed, on the main goblins picture, there seems to be a black edge on either side, but not on top and bottom. This helps create the incomplete/chopped off look. If you add a bit of border to the top and bottom, I think it will look much better.
Ooh, argh, yes, I agree! That little black strip has been driving me crazy! I haven't figured out how to get rid of it. >.< But you're saying I should *add* to it. Hmm. Maybe I can do that. I'll give it a try. Thanks :)
You're talking about the sides where the background image isn't wide enough to fill, right? http://goblinscomic.com/images/mainbg.jpg ? Not knowing what website engine you're using (I assume it's something like Wordpress, but for webcomics), I can only assume that you have full control over CSS and stuff...

The easiest answer is that Tarol would have to simply draw the background image wider -- right now it's 1600px wide, and I'm seeing probably 200px of black on either side -- but that brings with it bandwidth issues.
The next option is to stretch the background to fit whatever monitor, with a minimum width so it doesn't get too crazy, via CSS / JS (I see you have JQuery, which opens up all sorts of fun options). The problem there is Ears, the sigil, the torch, and the blog background are all absolutely positioned, on the background image. You'd have to separate each of those, into their own image, and worry about lining them all up, individually, and then you'd run into issues with stretching.
The last option is to just accept it, and draw some sort of border on the edges of the images -- maybe something as simple as fading to black (or alpha... whichever) so the transition to the black edge is less abrupt.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:32 am

Bapuvitttssf wrote:
DragonTurtle wrote:The only Goblins merchandise available for sale was the ebook for Book One and Two, and even those sales are on hold during the campaign, because updated versions of them are included in pledge levels. If you're aware of Goblins merchandise available on the internet, please let me know, because it isn't sanctioned by us.
I might be mistaken because I don't follow this closely at all, but weren't there other merchandises like stuffed goblins, T-shirts, anymugs, ..., available from an official source?
You are indeed mistaken. There have been shirts available for sale during conventions, but I don't believe they've been available for purchase anywhere else.

A test batch of Big Ears plushies was made but never put up for sale.

A very limited run of Anymugs were hand made by Danielle's mother, but were also never put up for sale because they were expensive to produce and difficult to ship.

All of the above have, at various times, been offered as prizes, such as free giveaways during livestreams, but even that has been limited by shipping fees.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced
UStream Username: HyperHalfling

Post by DragonTurtle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

Bapuvitttssf wrote:
DragonTurtle wrote:The only Goblins merchandise available for sale was the ebook for Book One and Two, and even those sales are on hold during the campaign, because updated versions of them are included in pledge levels. If you're aware of Goblins merchandise available on the internet, please let me know, because it isn't sanctioned by us.
I might be mistaken because I don't follow this closely at all, but weren't there other merchandises like stuffed goblins, T-shirts, anymugs, ..., available from an official source?
Long in the past, we did do a run of Big Ears plushies. They haven't been for sale for a long time. We give them away in the livestream every so often now. We tried t-shirts a couple of times, but those ended up as giveaways too. Handmade anymugs were sold as an experiment for one day. So, you're right to say that these things have existed for sale, but there's nothing available now, and there hasn't been for some time, aside from the ebooks.

Edit: And I see Wears Hats beat me to the answer. :)
I am always me, but go by many names, depending where you find me.
@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

On the official shop site, even the pdfs are not for sale anymore: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... lins-Comic
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Why was there never any Goblins physical books? I'd love to buy that.

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced
UStream Username: HyperHalfling

Post by DragonTurtle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 pm

There were printed books, briefly. Being independent has a special set of challenges to getting things made. After the Kickstarter campaign, we plan to put the ebooks back up on DriveThru, and make print-on-demand versions available.
I am always me, but go by many names, depending where you find me.
@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Just going to correct the points made.
  • Tempts Fate was completed to the point that had been promised during the pledging; the only things not completed were extra pages he offered afterward.
  • We did not, in fact, group fund a house. We funded a down payment.
  • Tarol had nothing to do with G:AR until after the fellow who licensed the characters & ran the Kickstarter disappeared with all the money. Tarol has put a lot of time and effort into making it right, anyway.
Please try to be factual in your critiques. Thank you.
Not quite true about Tempts Fate. The original milestones included a fourth page that had Tempts Fate getting out of hell as his last challenge. The current fourth page is unfinished and does not show Tempts Fate at all, let alone him getting out of hell. Therefore, the originally promised content has not been delivered in full, even though the page count is technically complete.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 am

And the Search For Tempts Fate has also never been completed.....

(Search for Tempts Fate: blog post, page 1, page 2)

I don't really like Patreon, I preferred the unique Tempts Fate extras. Also because I liked the stories.
But I do understand those are a lot of work, and that Thunt wanted/needed to find a different way that people can support him.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 pm

WearsHats wrote:You are indeed mistaken. There have been shirts available for sale during conventions, but I don't believe they've been available for purchase anywhere else.

A test batch of Big Ears plushies was made but never put up for sale.

A very limited run of Anymugs were hand made by Danielle's mother, but were also never put up for sale because they were expensive to produce and difficult to ship.

All of the above have, at various times, been offered as prizes, such as free giveaways during livestreams, but even that has been limited by shipping fees.
DragonTurtle wrote:Long in the past, we did do a run of Big Ears plushies. They haven't been for sale for a long time. We give them away in the livestream every so often now. We tried t-shirts a couple of times, but those ended up as giveaways too. Handmade anymugs were sold as an experiment for one day. So, you're right to say that these things have existed for sale, but there's nothing available now, and there hasn't been for some time, aside from the ebooks.

Edit: And I see Wears Hats beat me to the answer. :)
Thanks both of you for the precisions! :cheer:
I really wasn't sure about any of those, so those answers clear it off (and might even help others people).

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 am

Is there any plans to rethink the Kickstarter and relaunch it like suggested on the KS page or is it over if it doesn't work this time?

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 am

Honestly, I doubt it's going to get backed. At the start it was already a pretty hefty goal, and right now, after half a month, they are only at 20%.

Honestly, I'm fine with that. I'd like some more comic updates instead of side projects.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 am

Yeah, sadly I think you are right. I really think Thunt should focus on regular comic updates, translating the comic, and selling eBooks and books. I think it would be a smaller step that could pay off. Maybe a kind of D&D game too?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 am

I hear you both and what you're saying, but you should keep one thing in mind. We've raised the awareness of over 1,600 people, almost 250 of them who have never supported anything on Kickstarter before.

The one thing that I find a bit depressing is that it takes 1/2 mil to make a 10 minute episode.

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 am

Well it's a pretty expensive cast.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 am

True. But I refuse to fault Tarol for trying.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 am

Success or not, it's also a pretty good way to gauge real interest in this sort of project, which will be pretty informative in establishing how to move forwards with it in the future.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:54 am

Oh, no judgment here, just stating my expectation and my opinion that goes with it.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

WorldWarIV wrote:Well it's a pretty expensive cast.
They're not getting half a million for a few hours work. Actors love voice acting because you don't have to dress up, it's 9 to 5, you can look at a script, and you can do a short piece like this in one day and do another one the next day. Nowadays you don't even need to be in the same place as the other actors. I'm not sure how much they are paying the actors, but I doubt if it will be enough to make a difference.

Rather, the big name actors are there to attract enough money to pay the professional animators. I always watch the credits after animated and special effects movies just to goggle at how many people worked on minutia.

I'll up my pledge as we get towards the end, but it's looking less than promising right now...
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 am

I'm not saying they are paid half a million but those are pretty big names so I'm sure they are expensive. They might like voice-acting but they are professionals who you have to pay accordingly. I was paid $100 an hour for a pretty minor part in a biopic 15 years ago, so imagine today.

I might be wrong though, maybe animation is a lot more expensive than I thought.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:40 am

WorldWarIV wrote:I'm not saying they are paid half a million but those are pretty big names so I'm sure they are expensive. They might like voice-acting but they are professionals who you have to pay accordingly. I was paid $100 an hour for a pretty minor part in a biopic 15 years ago, so imagine today.

I might be wrong though, maybe animation is a lot more expensive than I thought.
Well, look at it this way.

Ten top voice actors, each works 8 hours on the pilot. From what I can tell, that's a lot for a short piece. Then they get paid a thousand dollars an hour, or $80,000, which is also very high, but yes, these are stars. That's less than 20% of the costs.

Here's an actor who did two episodes of Dexter in one afternoon. I lost track but she did 10+ half shows, several supporting parts in movies, and oodles of commercials in one week.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 am

Allow me to point you to this (quoted from the kickstarter site) and calculate % into plain $ (see brackets):
Where does the money go?

$465,000 sounds like a lot of money. Well, it is, but it takes a lot of money to get where we're going:

37% - Animation Production - The actual job of animating the episode; directing, advanced character design, editing, sound effects, mixing, etc. (that's 172,050)

23% - Voice Record - Voice actors you know, paid at union scale; recording studio rental; voice director; etc. (that' 106, 950)

10% - Incentives - Designing, producing, executing and shipping rewards. (that's 46,500)

6% - Pre-Production - Everything that's prep-work; storyboards, the animatic, backgrounds, script writing, basic character design, etc. (that's 27,900)

14% - Overhead - Web hosting, office rental, storage, etc. (that's 65,100)

5% - Kickstarter fees - Kickstarter's fee for enabling the project. (that's 23,250)

5% - Stripe processing fees - Stripe's fees for payment processing. (that's 23,250)

Thanks for reading this far! You're a star!
Diagram (also from the site):
► Show Spoiler
PS: please don't forget that "voice recording" will not just be the wages of the actors, but also fees etc. you will need to pay for e.g. studios to record it IN/equipment, etc.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for the info GI!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:15 am

Whenever I read GI, despite having been on this forum for years, I'm waiting for the Joe afterards.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Xavier78 wrote:If you donate enough towards this do you finally get the end of Tempts Fate, The card game and/or actual on time updates?
From twitter:
https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/928001238003789824?s=17 wrote:Here's a thing. This is not today's Goblins update. This is a thing.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 am

I suppose there's always that chance that someone swoops in at the last second and plops down 300,000? :shrug: