Sept 25 2017: SA'BADGUY!

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Sept 25 2017: SA'BADGUY!

Post by Glemp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am

I'd like to point out that the nervous Brassmoon guard, Tayshun, wasn't all that attractive either. Also I don't see Forgath as unattractive, Dwarves are all short with a stocky build. Hell most weightlifters (not bodybuilders) have that kind of build: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/ol ... ghtlifter/

zorae42
Remains Silent

Post by zorae42 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 am

Raza wrote: 'Sides, let's not pretend that every other male adventurer in this story isn't a muscular hunk whose essentially bare chest is accentuated with the gladiatorial male equivalent of a chainmail bikini. Impractically sexy adventurers' outfits are part of gamer culture, which is central to what this story's about.
That's more of a male power fantasy than an attempt to make the characters appear attractive to the female audience. It's not really equivalent. Although power fantasies are definitely central to gamer culture :P

That said, I don't mind Idle's design too much. Kin's design wasn't too gratuitous (once she got off on her own) and some of her counterparts even had reasonable armor! So throwing in an impractical outfit again doesn't seem so bad.

Editar
Remains Silent

Post by Editar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:
Raza wrote:'Sides, let's not pretend that every other male adventurer in this story isn't a muscular hunk whose essentially bare chest is accentuated with the gladiatorial male equivalent of a chainmail bikini. Impractically sexy adventurers' outfits are part of gamer culture, which is central to what this story's about.

You see, that's the thing. Every OTHER male adventurer. Versus almost EVERY female char. It's about percentage. It's about how women still get (more or less) subtly "told" (not necessary in words) that it's their god damn duty to be beautiful/attractive/sexy/what have you. Males can come up in most media with LOADS more examples of "unattractive" characters than females. For men it's more "okay" to come in all shapes, sizes and states of fitness, to not conform to those "beauty standards" than for females, at least that's the suggestion. And that that is what is NOT okay.
On average, for every MinMax, males get a Forgarth. What about females? There is one "Young and beautiful" and that's it. Every other female char in this comic I can think of at the moment is hour-glass shaped (to some extent) and more often than not scantily clad. Mind you, I'm not trying to criticize Tarol specifically here, I'm just using goblins as an example, because most readers here will know the characters.

But I'm not going into this further, because it's probably a topic that should be discussed in controversy.

While you are certainly right in much of the media, I don't see a problem in THIS comic. While many of the females are as you describe, they make sense in their particular context. The only one that stood out to me outside of that was Saves a Fox, complete with ass shot when she was hugging Grem after Hava died. Duv had the figure but her clothing covered her more. I'd say she was more elegant and to the extent that she was "sexy" it was definitely in a sense of exuding confidence and power. Idle does have a "limited" outfit, but not much of figure and I personally didn't think much of it because of her odd appearance overall.

Drowbabe and Yodette were purposely over the top and played for laughs. There was a goblin female in the fantasy of the one goblin requesting females at the camp. There were two in Dies Horribly's dream, again fantasy. Kin was dressed scantily up top because she was a sex slave and trophy for Goblinslayer, but then covered up with a coat.There were women of various shapes in the Brassmoon crowd. I can't recall any others right now. Any I missed?

As far as males, there is diversity in all the side characters, but most of the main characters have muscular builds, including the goblins.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 am

The three Kins. Scorpi-Kin. In fact, pretty much all the Kins. Yala. Protects Books. The only other speaking/named female character I can think of that wasn't hawt was the elf child.

You mentioned Yodette and Drowbabe. The male characters she was with were also over the top, but neither of them was sexualized. I agree that that one is justified by the context though. And there were also sexualized fantasy women in the pillar room, although that one was offset by Big Ear's male fantasy.

But the context counts. The context doesn't just spring into being full-formed. The usual excuse is that girls don't adventure. Uh-huh. Nobody adventures.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.