October 10, 2017 - Don't Badger Me

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

October 10, 2017 - Don't Badger Me

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Well... nice try, Forgath. (I do like the Kamehameha pose.)

Pretty sure now that that's not Junior.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/needs-more-badger
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: October 10, 2017 - Don't Badger Me

Post by Tofu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm

That badger was impressive in its original incarnation, now I feel kinda sorry and sad for the poor little thing. I imagine it's still inside the oooze monster trying to find something to bite, or it's just completely failed to cause an impact and has lost all of it's hit points in one fell swoop.

I'm trying to recall the combat pathway, but it's an Ooze, vs a Spirit animal, Ooze has a few more hitpoints than a level 1 spirit animal, so I think it just got vaporised on being contact to the Ooze. I wonder if it is a acid or ... (googles) ... aha, thank you wikipiedia
The black pudding, the gelatinous cube, the gray ooze, the green slime, and the ochre jelly first appeared in the original Dungeons & Dragons set (1974). The slithering tracker first appeared in The Strategic Review #5 (December 1975).

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Well, at least he doesn't have to rummage in some container for his holy symbol anymore... o:)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Tofu wrote:That badger was impressive in its original incarnation, now I feel kinda sorry and sad for the poor little thing. I imagine it's still inside the oooze monster trying to find something to bite, or it's just completely failed to cause an impact and has lost all of it's hit points in one fell swoop.

I'm trying to recall the combat pathway, but it's an Ooze, vs a Spirit animal, Ooze has a few more hitpoints than a level 1 spirit animal, so I think it just got vaporised on being contact to the Ooze. I wonder if it is a acid or ... (googles) ... aha, thank you wikipiedia
The black pudding, the gelatinous cube, the gray ooze, the green slime, and the ochre jelly first appeared in the original Dungeons & Dragons set (1974). The slithering tracker first appeared in The Strategic Review #5 (December 1975).
Neither Idle nor Bowst seem to be suffering any acid burns, so it probably isn't any kind of slime or pudding. Even if it is, celestial badgers have resistance against acid, so don't count it out yet.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:24 am

Well, Bowst asked for lvl 4 magic. And Forgath provided a lvl 1 Bader, a spell he also had quite a few levels back. (link, which has been published about 7,5 years ago)

So, to cite Forgath:
Forgath wrote:It's a level 1 spell. Give me a break.
And he promised Bowst a level four cleric spell. What are level 4 cleric spells? Healing? Increase size of monster?

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/needs-more-badger wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 am

Come to think of it... you know, it would have been even more funny, if Forgath (Twogath) would have provided a level 2 spell (because way back when Bowst dictated that four should be called/mean two from then on)... :lol: o:)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 am

D&D is a little confusing on this. There's character level and spell level. As you level up, you gain more spells, but clerics have to level up twice before they gain access to a new spell level. So you can't actually cast second level spells until you hit level 3, and you don't gain access to fourth level spells until you hit cleric level 7. Here's a chart.

So as a fourth level cleric, Forgath would be able to cast second level spells. According to the list of cleric spells, that includes Summon Monster II, which would give him the option to either summon a more powerful monster or 1d3 level 1 monsters. So he could summon one celestial eagle or 1d3 badgers.

Either Forgath cast Summon Monster I or he cast the more powerful version but rolled a 1.

Note that he can only cast a couple of level 2 spells per day and he has to choose which ones to prepare the night before. He might not have a more appropriate spell ready. Or he might be saving those spells for healing (in 3.5e clerics can at any time sacrifice a prepared spell to cast a healing spell of the same level). Or he might just be using the badger to test the monster's abilities before using up a more powerful spell.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 am

Assuming he is level 4 and not level 7, the only truly offense spells he has are Inflict Wounds and the badgers.

A DM might rule that the badger did some harm, depending on what exactly this thing is.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Majax
Remains Silent

Post by Majax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

He did say *Suck* badger. Badger is inside the Oozy monster. It seemed to be kind of holy, from the colouring, could help in providing some protection. Could be sucking it from the inside ?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 am

The first time he already said "suck badger" to altMinMax...

So, to cite Forgath:
Forgath wrote:Suck Badger!
But maybe he meant, "Suck, Badger!"
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

Aren't we all going to be shocked when the monster just goes "BOOM" next comic and the badger stands victorious. Haha...

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Maybe the warped Klik's negative is celestial badgers. You never know.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:23 am

A stupid question -- is Bowst's sword now green from cutting the monster's tendrils and getting stained - or has it changed to fully green by some transfer of effect from cutting the monster? I'm somewhat confused by the coloring change between panels...
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 am

The sword has always been green, as can be seen here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04012015

Editar
Remains Silent

Post by Editar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I didn't really expect a joke comic in this scene. I like the call-back to the fight with Young and Beautiful, but I will not be happy if Bowst dies because Forgath gave what seems to be such a weak effort. I know he has no weapon but he does have a stone fist and extra strength.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

WearsHats wrote:Either Forgath cast Summon Monster I or he cast the more powerful version but rolled a 1.
The text when he's casting says "Summon Monster: 1!"