Nov 28, 2017 - "Why Not" and feeling bad

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Nov 28, 2017 - "Why Not" and feeling bad

Post by Tofu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:27 pm

First Thought : Kin is very much augmented past her original status. What is that on her shoulder? A growth?

Then : how can she even remember that there was a connection to MinMax? (I sense another story here)

And: I presume she used the teapot to travel once she had successfully leveled up in the Maze of Many. Such a good update. It makes me feel very happy indeed.

Permalink : http://goblinscomic.com/comic/whynot

slikmar
Remains Silent

Re: Nov 28, 2017 - "Why Not" and feeling bad

Post by slikmar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm

On her shoulder appears to be a crystal dragonette or something.
I think she started figuring it out right after he left, that the other 2 did something.
As for happy, remember when Fumbles was in oracle mode, he said sorry to minmax as he came out. I am sure it has to do with Kin.
I had forgotten she now had an energy body.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:29 pm

So the prophecy says "When the serpent becomes his prey. Friends becomes enemy. And love will fuel hate".
I think it's clear, that the "serpent" is Kin. I think "his" is referring to Kore, and hence Kin would become the prey of Kore.
it's not clear yet, about the "friends" part.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Hmmmm interesting that Minmax could sense Kin's guilt before she teleported in.

Definently seems a strong connection between these two.

Back to Bowst et al now I assume.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm

AXIS wrote:Hmmmm interesting that Minmax could sense Kin's guilt before she teleported in.

Definently seems a strong connection between these two.

Nope.
Thunt_goblins wrote:Oh no. We're staying right here in this story arc for awhile. :)
Oh, and Kin realized just before Minmax left the Maze. "Seeing" means they feel each other's pain, which is why her hand hurt when he slammed his fist into the wall. Just took a while for her to come to terms with it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Did not see that coming. I hope she can sense which way he's gone. Seems unlikely, though. :-(

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 pm

WearsHats wrote:
AXIS wrote:
Nope.
Thunt_goblins wrote:Oh no. We're staying right here in this story arc for awhile. :)
Well that's good....... :)

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm expecting that means Kore will find her here, unless she moves fast. She's smart though, so fingers crossed she can think her way through this. God I love Kin, I'm so happy she's back in. And she looks bad ass now!

Edit:
Ah damn. I just realized they went through a different door to the one Minmax wanted to go through. I fully expect her to reason out that Minmax picked that door through a bunch of subtle stuff that he clearly doesn't understand, and figure it would be the sort of thing Forgath wouldn't fight him over, but not realize that someone else entirely made the call on which door to go through :( Of course, Kin's smarter than that. But I could see it happening because heartbreak.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

CapnRis
Remains Silent

Post by CapnRis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Created account to weigh in on this.

First, suppositions. The thing on her left shoulder looks to be an origami dragon, possibly magically animated. Familiar? Construct? Not sure. Her right arm has been covered or replaced with an armored sleeve and gauntlet. I would wager that this was her selected magical item from the treasure room. What it is capable of I'm not even going to try guessing at, as Thuntonian magical items are some of the weirdest and most creative I've seen. It could blow bubbles that produce a random musical tone while revealing the darkest thoughts of anyone standing in the room, but not reveal whose head they sprung from.

Second: God damnit, why! I had given up on the KinMax deal, this is pulling heartstrings I had stopped tuning! Way to make me anxious for upcoming strips.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:36 am

As for who picked the door they went through, that could be as interesting as the fact that Fumbles seems to be the one hurrying them along. Oracles do tend to become servants/slaves of their prophecies. Could Fumbles be pushing the party along to prevent a meeting at this time? Could he be trying to steer the party a particular direction due to his fore knowledge? If that's the case, his saying to Minmax that he's sorry could be less of condolence and more of an apology for something he's going to do...

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 am

Yay, Kin is back! I've waited YEARS for this. At least it feels like years. *looks it up* No, it actually has been years. A tiny little bit more than 4 to be precise.

I concur, that the thing on her shoulder looks like a paper dragon. Plus I think it's a gauntlet. And look, she has a satchel AND a backpack, so she probably found more useful stuff (though apparently nothing to dress in, which is sad).
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am

This makes me happy and sad at the same time.
MAybe Fumbles only foresaw that Kin and Minmax will miss each other by mere minutes? That Kin is coming for him, but that he'll not be there.

Also: in cases like this "why not" is a perfect answer.
There is no reason he chose that door. He just chose one, because one had to be chose to go through.
A good leader makes such snap decisions, otherwise gorups tend to remain hanging for hours and discuss.
There is no need to discuss, just a need to progress. And where it'll lead you'll only find out later.

But with so many doors in this dungeon, every door might bring you back to the big hall and the Dooor! tower... ( http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01082016-2 )
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Chessrook44
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Chessrook44 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 am

I can sum up my reactions to this comic very easily. [clears throat]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
[Hands gesticulating at door] AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
[Hands gesticulating at Kin] AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
[Hands on head] AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 am

I really hope Kin moves fast and maybe can sense body warmth on the door knob. Or at least opens the doors and looks what behind them. The GAPMax shouldn't be that far away from it at the moment.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 am

Tofu wrote:First Thought :
Then : how can she even remember that there was a connection to MinMax? (I sense another story here)
The Kins used their superior intelligences to reprogram the psionic machine so that they retained their memories through multiple runs of the maze. Psimax was doing the same thing, learning from each run. They said they would "learn" from the maze--they didn't mention XP. Minmax got to keep his armor though, so the Kins could have poked around the maze and taken anything they liked home with them.

Also, Kin could have easily won the maze and theoretically could have used the red circle to return home, but it's unclear where home was. Probably outside the giant sword. If she took the teapot she could have stashed it somewhere safe and teleported to Minmax, meaning to retrieve it later.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 am

Finally...
Minmax and Kin potentially meet again...
If they kiss, it will gross out the goblins...
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

HydroBR
Remains Silent

Post by HydroBR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 am

They reprogrammed the Maze to retain memories and XP:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/09092013
"She's also arranged it so we'll keep all memory of each run through, from this point on. This will allow us to run the maze as many times as we like and level up quite a bit before leaving this place."
Also, that bit of the prophecy is fulfilled:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21
"THEMOUNTISBACKWARDSITISDISPLACEDTHELEVELSAREGAINEDOUTSIDEOFTIME"
That probably means she is quite strong right now, might even be able stand up to Kore.
Hoping nothing happens to her before finding Minmax, it would be so frustrating. But we all know we're up to some sad shit soon :'(
By the way, she also looks awesome with the new gear + indestructible tail + new colouring.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 am

extrabigmehdi wrote:So the prophecy says "When the serpent becomes his prey. Friends becomes enemy. And love will fuel hate".
I think it's clear, that the "serpent" is Kin. I think "his" is referring to Kore, and hence Kin would become the prey of Kore.
No, it says "When the serpent becomes your prey", and it was given to Forgath (link). Unless we're going with the "Kore is future Forgath!!!" theory again...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am

But fumbles says 'his prey': http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21

I don't think the prophesy has come to pass yet, because it seems like it's Forgath who has to turn on Kin, NOT Minmax. That may make Forgath and minmax the enemies in the prophesy, with minmax forced to choose between kin and Forgath (and probably picking Kin). Maybe. That's my guess anyway :)

...I wonder if the magic leash will have anything to do with forcing the matter?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am

thinkslogically wrote:But fumbles says 'his prey': http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21
Yes, and he is referring to Forgath. We know this because Y&B told Forgath the prophecy and used "your prey". The Talking Wall of Brassmoon says the same.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm

extrabigmehdi wrote:So the prophecy says "When the serpent becomes his prey. Friends becomes enemy. And love will fuel hate".
That was an old prophecy, that was fulfilled while Minmax was in the maze of many. One of the other Kins destroyed the necklace.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Glemp: right! We're definitely agreeing here :) I probably misunderstood your post...

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Blast. I'm remembering way back in the day my friend had a character with a crystal familiar. Just can't remember what he was playing. I want to a say a Psion, but really can't remember. Anyway, probably not related to whatever Kin is, but pretty cool to say the least.

Hoping they meet up soon.

P.S. Thunt really is amazing. This story that has gone on FOREVER, and yet we sit and talk about moments that happened 4+ years ago as though they were yesterday. So great.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Rooks wrote:Blast. I'm remembering way back in the day my friend had a character with a crystal familiar. Just can't remember what he was playing. I want to a say a Psion, but really can't remember. Anyway, probably not related to whatever Kin is, but pretty cool to say the least.

Hoping they meet up soon.

P.S. Thunt really is amazing. This story that has gone on FOREVER, and yet we sit and talk about moments that happened 4+ years ago as though they were yesterday. So great.
Honestly, I'm just glad he's updating about once a week. I'll take very-slow-story over the infinite cliffhanger any day... well, not infinite but it did feel like it.
Good to see he's learning how to balance stuff in his life, so it doesn't overwhelm him.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

This page of "take the pity win" is so adorable ... thanks for the reminder.

I agree about the avatar on the left shoulder looking like a folded origami entity.

And the Prophecy is just mental gymnastics ... Now I think that Kore will move his target from MimMax and the goblins to Kin and that Love (MinMax's) will fuel Hate of Kore.