April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 am

jbrecken wrote:Doing some googling for info on Yuan-Ti led me to a page (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti) that says this: "A yuan-ti has a regenerative process for when they have severe wounds and can enter a hibernation mode that can heal damaged organs and regrow lost limbs." This is not an official D&D page, but Thunt has been known to use nonstandard rulings on stuff.
I... I'm going to just go ahead and believe that this exactly what is going to happen. Thank you. I feel better now.
Corpsificus wrote:Yoda said not to feel saddened by death but to rejoice in our loved ones being one with the living force. Perhaps we should accept that people die and tragedy is as part of life as anything. We should be better able to handle the consequences of tragedy if we can look at it unfaltering.
As soon as I can lift an X-Wing with my mind, I'll get right on that. ;)

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 am

If they reset and their counter is destroyed and they remember everything they wouldn't be able to go past the first room.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 am

Few random things. Let's see if I can remember them all:

1. The Axe and the Rope. The tables are suddenly turned on a powerful enemy when someone manages to choke him from behind. But, after making k... k... noises for just long enough to make it seem like it might be over, he uses his magical powers to overcome the situation, leaving our heroes back in dire peril. (And, yes, leaving one of them with mortal wounds.)

2. The prophecy: "When the serpent becomes your prey..." Minmax will now be hunting for Kin. Trying to find her and a way to get to her. Is that enough to count as "prey"? Probably not. But the "love will fuel hate" seems clear enough to me right now. His love for Kin will fuel his hatred for Psimax.

3. So what's the deal with this "truesight" thing people keep mentioning? When/how did Minmax get it? It's all well and good to say he feels Kin's distress due to the Power Of Lovetm, but love alone doesn't work that way in D&D. That would be a major exploit for players if it did. Kin's latent psionic abilities I could almost believe, except that her collar is supposed to be suppressing them.

4. Thunt says:
Thunt_Goblins wrote:Common Question: "Is the healing potion from the river, powerful enough to fix up Kin?" Answer: Well, it didn't fix Minmax's scar. So no.
5. ... Nope, I forget. Oh well.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 am

Maybe you forgot friends will become enemies? I think the serpent already became the prey of psymax.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:22 am

Not sure what to make of friends becoming enemies. Doesn't the prophecy specify "the serpent becomes your prey"? That would seem to rule out Psimax.

Oh, and:
mertol wrote:If they reset and their counter is destroyed and they remember everything they wouldn't be able to go past the first room.
They'd just need to find a way to cause confusion. Since they already understand about the door, they don't have to worry about the sudden dawning comprehension closing it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

FliesManyKites
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FliesManyKites » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:41 am

WearsHats wrote:
Oh, and:
mertol wrote:If they reset and their counter is destroyed and they remember everything they wouldn't be able to go past the first room.
They'd just need to find a way to cause confusion. Since they already understand about the door, they don't have to worry about the sudden dawning comprehension closing it.
Yup. In the end it was Minmax's confusion at Kin hugging him for comfort that opened the door, not any confusion to do with the room itself. Minmax still doesn't understand how the room works anyway, unless they explained it to him off-screen. Heck, Kin and Forgath could even spend some time at the entrance just scheming up all the best ways to confuse minmax. :lol:

IStoneI
Remains Silent

Post by IStoneI » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 am

Moroser wrote:No-no-no-no! Thunt can't kill Kin after all she's been through, after the Trueseeing. She'll survive somehow and she'll also get some legs instead of the lost tale (or even will be completely turned into a human), so they'll live happily and stuff.
unlikely, considering how the comic pracically revolves around monsters not having to be humans, to be "human". theyre either able to repair her tail somehow, she dies, or stays a cripple. but there is no way thunt will turn kin into a human or make her more human like.
Jibjib wrote:Thinking about it, Forgath's prophecy never mentioned which version of either Minmax or Forgath would eventually make the serpent their prey... could we be about to have a TPK on FMK? Let's watch and find out...
why is everyone so convinced, that the prophecy revolves around kin? i always expected the "serpent" in the prophecy to be the viper clan. especially, considering their plan to conquer the realm. its at least still a possiblility.
Last edited by IStoneI on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

FliesManyKites
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FliesManyKites » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 am

I agree. I've thought myself that having Kin be the serpent would be excessively obvious. I expect that the prophecy's true meaning will be more nuanced, so the Viper clan seems more probable to me.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 am

Except that by now I expect the Maze to be falling apart - Oblivion Holes are everywhere, probably destroying the traps' mechanisms just as Psimax disrupted the makes-things-bigger-hole when he tore the section of wall out.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:04 am

Glemp wrote:
Except that by now I expect the Maze to be falling apart - Oblivion Holes are everywhere, probably destroying the traps' mechanisms just as Psimax disrupted the makes-things-bigger-hole when he tore the section of wall out.
I'm still on the boat that says that when the Maze resets, it resets. PsiMax would need to restart his attempts to recreate Oblivion once again.

As for my earlier concern about MinMax and Forgath leaving the Maze without Kin, I woke with a new thought on my mind...

What Kin are you talking about? I suspect PsiMax might toss the remains into an O-Hole. :(

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 am

Yeah. The smoke seems to indicate that Psimax has to destroy the counter every time the maze resets. Certainly, stuff will get destroyed, damaged, broken, etc. in every run. If that didn't reset, the maze would never survive millions of runs.

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 am

I am thoroughly NOT HAPPY with this update! Poor Kin! I don't know how they're going to get through this one... I can't see Minmax and Forgath agreeing to "win" the maze this time, with Kin so horribly damaged. So... I am going to cling to the hope that there is a way for Kin to be saved.

I do like that we see the True Sight that Kin mentioned ages ago - even if Minmax heard the screem, all the other Kins would sound pretty much the same, so it's fair enough to assume that he feels Kin's pain.

I do like the SteampunKin though!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:29 am

WearsHats wrote:Yeah. The smoke seems to indicate that Psimax has to destroy the counter every time the maze resets. Certainly, stuff will get destroyed, damaged, broken, etc. in every run. If that didn't reset, the maze would never survive millions of runs.
And if that were normal damage like Psimax' squishy-squishy power, that would reset. But Oblivion Holes are punched into the fabric of reality - resetting the Maze's physical state wouldn't get rid of them.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 am

About the prophecy - I get the feeling that it will not come true in this maze. Think about it: with so much yet to happen, the threat of the Viper Clan, White Terror, Kore, Junior(!!!) and the fact that the prophecy was repeated twice (by YaB, in what seemed as a major case of seeing into the future, and by the talking wall conjured by Shield of Wonder) I don't think it is a small prophecy. It also includes two of the main characters so I'm guessing it is not gonna fulfill itself in what is not even connected to the "real world" (the one that our heroes live in)
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 am

FliesManyKites wrote:
WearsHats wrote:
Oh, and:
Yup. In the end it was Minmax's confusion at Kin hugging him for comfort that opened the door, not any confusion to do with the room itself. Minmax still doesn't understand how the room works anyway, unless they explained it to him off-screen. Heck, Kin and Forgath could even spend some time at the entrance just scheming up all the best ways to confuse minmax. :lol:
They all rush into the first room.

Forgath: Minmax, you'll have to open the door again.
Minmax: What? But I didn't -- (door opens) Huh? (door opens further)
Kin: IDIOT! (slaps Minmax) (door opens further)
Forgath (gesturing "listen close"): Down here. I'll explain it. (Minmax bends down. Forgath smooches him. Door opens further.)

I expect that once they know what they're doing and head through the maze at a dead run, they'd be able to finish each room in a page, and grab any containers they can find along the way for healing potion.

Oblivion holes are a random factor. If the oblivion holes don't reopen again, or open in different places -- because Psimax is doing things differently -- they'd need to climb the tower instead of shortcutting to the end. That means we spend maybe five or six pages getting to a "new maze" (let's see ... one page in the counter room, one in the confusion room, one in the giant room, on the fourth page they open the chest to collect the armor and magic sword before the Ringworld team gets anywhere close, the fifth page they rush through the upside down trees and into the healing potion river where they load up on all the potion they can carry, and at page six they're in the hallway long before any zombies show up). Then -- if there are no oblivion portals -- they'll need to find the tower room. But they'll have a long head start and lots of healing potion.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 am

Darkpool wrote: Oblivion holes are a random factor. If the oblivion holes don't reopen again, or open in different places -- because Psimax is doing things differently -- they'd need to climb the tower instead of shortcutting to the end. That means we spend maybe five or six pages getting to a "new maze" (let's see ... one page in the counter room, one in the confusion room, one in the giant room, on the fourth page they open the chest to collect the armor and magic sword before the Ringworld team gets anywhere close, the fifth page they rush through the upside down trees and into the healing potion river where they load up on all the potion they can carry, and at page six they're in the hallway long before any zombies show up). Then -- if there are no oblivion portals -- they'll need to find the tower room. But they'll have a long head start and lots of healing potion.
Or Thunt may simply kill Kin and make us cry, while letting heartbroken and scarred for life duo of Fogath and Minmax exit the Maze and to further add to our grief, as someone pointed out before, he will make Minmax and Forgath forget Kin.

Lee
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Lee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 am

Maybe the reason Kin wasn't able to finish explaining about GoblinSlayers wooden parts here: http://www.goblinscomic.com/05312009/ is because the same magic gets used to give her back her tail. So the healing potion just need to keep her alive long enough. Though this option would still be terrible for Kin because part of her body will be the same as the Monster who enslaved, beat and raped her, but hey at least she won't be dead or crippled. I mean it's gotta be better than that, right?

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 am

sunphoenix wrote:Call it a gut feeling... but I think ... this is the LAST RUN of the MoM. I think.. Minmax.. is going to do what Psimax hasn't been able to do.. destroy the maze and end the cycle. Minmax I don't know if he will realize what he is going to do.. but I think he will do it just the same.

As for the current predicament.. I could see Forgath speaking up and telling Psimax to leave Kin alone and he'll answer whatever he wants to know... just don't use that leash on her... just a feeling.

Why? Because love makes the impossible... possible.
Guess I called it... sort of...

But...

DENIAL: "As Herbert is my witness... I swear to GOD this is how it ends...!"
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 am

lingrem wrote:I can't see Minmax and Forgath agreeing to "win" the maze this time, with Kin so horribly damaged.
See my theory of O-Hole use above... :(

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 am

CelineSSauve wrote:
lingrem wrote:I can't see Minmax and Forgath agreeing to "win" the maze this time, with Kin so horribly damaged.
Wouldn't this f*ck up his equation even more?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 am

_sl0t_ wrote:Healing spells and healing potions can only heal your HP. There's no kind of super healing potion that restores missing limbs or such. Healing does not even fix broken bones or defective organs! So healing Kin would prevent her from dying from the wounds, but not restore her tail.
Also:
@Thunt_Goblins wrote:Common Question: "Is the healing potion from the river, powerful enough to fix up Kin?" Answer: Well, it didn't fix Minmax's scar. So no.

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:23 am

Assuming they can open the room without the splishked keys, psymax could just lift them and put them in the winning circle and be free to tamper with MoM without love and obvivious screwing with his calculations.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 am

WastesTime wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:
Wouldn't this f*ck up his equation even more?
Yup. But if mixed with the "Force PsiMax to win" theory as well as the "O-Holes" don't reset theory. :shrug:

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 am

I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts yet, so this may have been mentioned:

Yes, FMK 156 doesn't know about the counter destruction, but they don't necessarily need to. All it'd take is one of these random oblivion holes appearing on their counter for the same effect. So they could die this cycle and come back next cycle with all their memories intact, so long as PsiMax's oblivion plan is stopped from working this time. If he's killed permanently, they won't have to fight him next time around. Or else PsiMax would hunt them down as soon as he killed his own team.

Chasm
Newcomer Adventuring Party - Teller

Post by Chasm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 am

I just thought of something, it could be way worse, at least here we will most certainly know what happens with Kin in the next, or few next, updates.
But Thunt could be even more crual by switching to a Dies arc, or letting us see how Junior is doing in his helpless-human-chopping (and nomming, absorbing, etc) job.
Most of us would probably go insane if it happened though. Maybe this is a tactic to set up a major mental breakdown in the minds of the population, ensuring chaos in many places, since we'd all go crazy in the streets, asking to know what happens to FMK, and the non-readers wouldn't understand what we meant and consider us as utterly mad (that would probably be right) and treat us like madmen but we wouldn't want to be treaten like madmen so we'd go even crazier and start burning stuff up and (...)

Oh Thunt, you evil mastermind.

Edit : Also, I noticed something : http://www.goblinscomic.com/04122013/ (panel 8 )
That means, even if they manage to get in the winners' circle, Kin's tail won't be restored (I saw one or two theories about that), so they can't use that to heal her wounds or restore her tail :(