April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Discuss the comic here!
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:01 pm

willpell wrote:
FleesFromTrees wrote:Just, as someone said before the counter could've been destroyed. And they'd know all about Psimax.
Pretty sure nobody but Psimax knows about the effects of counter-destruction...I don't recall him bragging of it to 156, only to his Kin before he killed her.
Perhaps they mean that it got oblivion hole damaged?
willpell wrote:
Chasm wrote:Now that I think about it, Baka also had half his body "taken away". I hope it's not becoming a trend. Do not want.
Remind me who Baka was?
The reincarnation of one of the drow that got ripped to pieces by Junior.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.com/01132012/

Panel 9 is relevant.
I will always love the last panel. Those expressions are gold.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Mereneth wrote:
LoneStarNorth wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.com/01132012/

Panel 9 is relevant.
I will always love the last panel. Those expressions are gold.
Kin just looks so cute in that page.

Also, I think the reason for the HeMax is so Thunt had something fun to draw despite the rest of the page. He needs something happy.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:14 pm

I have to wonder how, with all of the muscle in Kin's snake tail, why she wasn't able to just snap his neck almost instantly. PsiMax isn't built for Constitution or Strength after all...

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Strawberrycocoa wrote:I have to wonder how, with all of the muscle in Kin's snake tail, why she wasn't able to just snap his neck almost instantly. PsiMax isn't built for Constitution or Strength after all...
Actually, this was exactly what I was expecting Kin to do... we know she's smart enough to realize her only hope of survival would be to kill him instantly, before he could react.

I dunno if I like you anymore, THunt. :P

mnem
I bet that leaves a mark...

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Strawberrycocoa wrote:I have to wonder how, with all of the muscle in Kin's snake tail, why she wasn't able to just snap his neck almost instantly. PsiMax isn't built for Constitution or Strength after all...
We know that Kin strangled the Scorpikin, so it could be that that is a preferred method of killing for her, but that may not be all. It is probable that Kin's tail is very strong. After all, it also held Scorpikin in place while she was being strangled. But that was more brute force, in the middle of the tail. At the end, the muscles might not be as strong, and too weak to break a neck. Or it might be hard to do that with her tail. I imagine that it would be hard to control, when dealing with something as small as Psimax's neck.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

iocane
Remains Silent

Post by iocane » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the serpent isn't Kin. Think about it.

The Jade Teapot is a Yuan-Ti item. It's made of jade, it's going to be green. It's probably decorated like a snake. It's the object Minmax and Forgrath were hunting for, which sent them into a dungeon where their enemies were all alternate versions of their party members. Kin makes no sense as the serpent in the prophecy. (Hell, it would be a stretch to call her Psymax's prey.) Kin is Minmax's love, and she's probably going to die.

The only part I'm foggy on is how this will end up fueling hate towards... something (probably the GAP).

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 pm

1) I think Kin was able to snap Scorpkin's neck only after making her helpless. It was essentially a coup de grace. Against Psymax, she only has a split second to grab his neck; she didn't have a chance to secure his arms, and it likely wouldn't have mattered if she did. Splishk either way.

2) I'm not terribly sad at this latest development yet. We don't know that Kin's injuries are permanent. After all, FMK is currently in a gigantic retcon engine. If ever there was a situation in this comic where someone could reasonably be restored to perfect health, this is it. People have already pointed out the strategy of forcing Psymax to win. I'm maybe just in a bit of denial, but I think the true tragedy is that Minmax is going to have to sacrifice his love for Kin by resetting the maze. He's matured enough now to understand the weight of that decision, and that makes it even worse.

3) If the maze is reset, we don't have to wait for another year of FMK battling through it. We could just see a quick Counter montage, followed by them exiting the maze with the Teapot. If they then split up (FM teleporting to GAP, and Kin taking the Teapot to her people), then we have another reason to be sad: we know that Minmax and Kin could've loved each other...we'd understand they'd go hand in hand, but they'll walk alone in fear. Tell me, where to we go from here?
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

iocane
Remains Silent

Post by iocane » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Liesmith wrote:2) I'm not terribly sad at this latest development yet. We don't know that Kin's injuries are permanent. After all, FMK is currently in a gigantic retcon engine. If ever there was a situation in this comic where someone could reasonably be restored to perfect health, this is it. People have already pointed out the strategy of forcing Psymax to win. I'm maybe just in a bit of denial, but I think the true tragedy is that Minmax is going to have to sacrifice his love for Kin by resetting the maze. He's matured enough now to understand the weight of that decision, and that makes it even worse.

3) If the maze is reset, we don't have to wait for another year of FMK battling through it. We could just see a quick Counter montage, followed by them exiting the maze with the Teapot. If they then split up (FM teleporting to GAP, and Kin taking the Teapot to her people), then we have another reason to be sad: we know that Minmax and Kin could've loved each other...we'd understand they'd go hand in hand, but they'll walk alone in fear. Tell me, where to we go from here?
A retcon engine which Psymax is taking apart piece by piece with his oblivion holes. Who says there will be enough of the dungeon left to 'reset' when Psymax is through with it? This, I think, is what's going to force Forgath's hand.

Alternatively: http://www.goblinscomic.com/03062013/ (Panel 13)

"Better to have loved and lost..."

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 pm

iocane wrote: Alternatively: http://www.goblinscomic.com/03062013/ (Panel 13)

"Better to have loved and lost..."
Try it.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Kennerly wrote:Meanwhile Herbert is explaining to whoever is playing Minmax that he can't possible know what happened to Kin!
I think that MinMax knowing what happened to Kin is important, because it means she managed to defeat the block on her psionics and her mind reached out to his.

Doing some googling for info on Yuan-Ti led me to a page (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti) that says this: "A yuan-ti has a regenerative process for when they have severe wounds and can enter a hibernation mode that can heal damaged organs and regrow lost limbs." This is not an official D&D page, but Thunt has been known to use nonstandard rulings on stuff.

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:47 pm

This page is a true test of the acceptance of fate...
Whether or not as readers we choose to accept the likely scenario of Kin's death will determine how accepting of death we are.
Yoda said not to feel saddened by death but to rejoice in our loved ones being one with the living force. Perhaps we should accept that people die and tragedy is as part of life as anything. We should be better able to handle the consequences of tragedy if we can look at it unfaltering.
Misery enjoys company.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Corpsificus wrote:This page is a true test of the acceptance of fate...
Whether or not as readers we choose to accept the likely scenario of Kin's death will determine how accepting of death we are.
Yoda said not to feel saddened by death but to rejoice in our loved ones being one with the living force. Perhaps we should accept that people die and tragedy is as part of life as anything. We should be better able to handle the consequences of tragedy if we can look at it unfaltering.
...or we could just rage for a few more pages. Yeah, that's sounds like a good plan.

Seriously, though - beautifully said and I have to say that if Kin actually dies it still makes Thunt a great storyteller - even more so. Each and every death that we have suffered was not pointless and was calculated so as to evoke our deepest emotions and make us care for the characters. For that, Thunt, I salute you
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 am

BTW can someone explain to me why people keep calling the 7th panel HeMax. Is it because the hair makes him look like HeMan? The shirt and the rapier make him look like a musketeer to me.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 am

I don't actually know what to say :(
It's not entirely unexpected, but still....

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 am

Jon Snow wrote:BTW can someone explain to me why people keep calling the 7th panel HeMax. Is it because the hair makes him look like HeMan? The shirt and the rapier make him look like a musketeer to me.
Technically he looks like Prince Adam:
► Show Spoiler
Quite the resemblence, yeah? Right down to the ridiculous clothes but just different enough to maybe avoid Copyright Infringement. Prince Adam transforms into He-Man using the Sword of Grayskull but I theorize he's using the rapier because he lost the Sword of Grayskull somewhere in the Maze. This explains why he stayed Prince Adam during the Tower Fight instead of transfoming into the more powerful He-Man
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 am

Psimax's powers remind me of Dr. Manhattan minus the blue glow... and with pants.

Dr. Minmaxhattan.
Misery enjoys company.

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 am

I'm going to throw out a crazy and very unlikely to happen theory. Minmax levels up to 5 from all the fighting, multiclasses to cleric and after somehow moving to Kin casts remove curse on her collar. (no idea if this is within the rules) After that, Kin can use her magical abilities unhindered and BY CHANCE has the regenerate ability.

But as this most likely isn't the case, I just hope that Thunt wants to tell his own, twisted version of Little Mermaid :wall:

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am

Keys are splishked, tower room is sealed off, hole to the ceiling is crowded with zombies, psymax is not going to let kin and forgath go in the treasure room. I don't see how could anyone reach the winning cirle.

cyco
Mutters to Themself

Post by cyco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 am

Whoa, am i reading Game Of Thrones, the webcomic? Damn, that's a gory situation for such an important character.

FliesManyKites
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FliesManyKites » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 am

Just joined up, reading this recent update made me sad all day. :(

Here's what I ?think? (well, hope) will happen.

Based on THunt's tentency to call back earlier dialogue (e.g. Sara puked it) I like to think that when Minmax said "I'll kill you twice!" it wasn't an empty threat. I'm hoping for a dramatic/emotional death here, Minmax going batshit and totalling Psimax, ending in a TPK and a maze reset... dunno exactly how that could pan out though...

...only to find out (like others have surmised) that our FMK's counter has been swallowed in an oblivion hole. :D We won't have to see everything pan out a second time, it can be assumed that they'll kick ass in most rooms thanks to their intact memories. Instead of being a typical maze race, this run becomes a new and faster-paced challenge with the goal of thwarting Psimax once and for all, and/or escaping the MoM before it is swallowed by oblivion.

Personally, I'd love to see Psimax tossed in an oblivion hole... >:D Thus fulfilling his second (and permanent!!!) death at the hands of Minmax!

Now, more realistically?
I'm just hoping to Herbert that Kin will survive somehow. Even if she does end up an amputee... Gosh... *sniff* RUNS INTO CORNER AND SOBS. :'(
Last edited by FliesManyKites on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 am

willpell wrote:
WearsHats wrote:I was really liking this page. The connection to the axe and the rope (which I guess should have tipped me off)
The axe and the rope? As in Prissan vs. Kore? I don't follow how that pertains.
Someone tried to attack both Kore and Psimax by going for the throat, causing them to just say 'k....kk....k' noises.
Someone is also mortally wounded during the battle.
Hats spotted the first, but didn't realise that it would lead to the second.

EDIT: Kites, that sounds really cool. I've always had a thing for escaping a familiar place that's been twisted into something much more dangerous and with much more pressure to escape.

FliesManyKites
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FliesManyKites » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 am

Glemp wrote:
EDIT: Kites, that sounds really cool. I've always had a thing for escaping a familiar place that's been twisted into something much more dangerous and with much more pressure to escape.
Yeah, exactly! I believe it would be at least possible to make a second maze run keep a fast pace. FMK came into the MoM understanding it to be the most forgiving dungeon crawl in existence. Any screw-up could be undone, and they literally had eternity to achieve a "perfect run."

With a full awareness of Psimax, that all changes. There's the possibility of oblivion holes swallowing more parts of the maze, and maybe new holes sprouting still (if Psimax learns enough to get closer to oblivion but dies before he can learn ALL variables)? Plenty of opportunity for suspense... we can hope...

Plus if we had something like... Kin dying, believing that they've lost and will all be oblivion-ated shortly, and/or Minmax sadly giving up after Kin's death (and wiping the floor with Psimax), realizing that he will be sacrificing all his new memories of Kin. That would be... heart-wrenching. And the ensuing realization from both that A) they're alive again (for now) and B) they remember everything? That would make may day... week! as a reader. :)

Alternatively, my "kill you twice" theory could be achieved if Minmax just dumps Psimax in an oblivion hole after killing him.
Last edited by FliesManyKites on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am

Corpsificus wrote:Psimax's powers remind me of Dr. Manhattan minus the blue glow... and with pants.

Dr. Minmaxhattan.
That's PROFESSOR doctor Minmaxhattan to you, bub!
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 am

So while I was asleep (gosh you little beavers have been busy while I was away :P ), I thought of something immensely disturbing. While it's not a normal part of a psion's power, Psymax is very involved with time as a concept. Lord I hope it's not going to happen, but what if Psymax's Torture II is splishing bits of people then rewinding the splishing and doing it again. The whole torture thing would fit with the parallels to Chief's death too. The only thing more horrific than panel 6, is panel 6 happening lots of times..
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014