Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Ziou rolls his eyes at the egotistic Enoch. "So you are a doctor of nothing now?" He mutters to himself.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 pm

Enoch turns around and yells "Do not make a mockery of me! I may know nothing at this point in time, but at least I don't harm people with my ignorance, you butcher!" He breathes heavily, a fervent look in his eyes.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:15 pm

Ziou looks at him coldly. "You know what is so fascinating about traps? You can set them up in a variety different ways, to stun, to maim, to ensnare, or possibly poison them. You could even set them up so you don't trigger them, if done correctly. Self defense laws were so lenient, if I remember correctly. My traps did massive damage, unhealable to anyone who dared tread on my territory to hunt me down. What was done in ignorance was minimal comparatively."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 am

"As if that would make it better. If you try to heal somebody but hurt him even more instead, you cannot compare that to your formerly lethal traps. I doubt you had a trap that could heal people. We have to accept that we lost knowledge. So cool down and let him be called doctor, as he did earn it, even if almost none of the knowledge is left, as it is for all of us." Hiero sais.
:zzz:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:14 am

Quarg wrote:Kew narrows her eyes for a moment and then realizes maybe Gabe has not seen what she is talking about. "No someone did something rather ingenious actually...." She pulls out her bit of charchol and sketches it out for Gabe. "....someone pulled out the stone here next to the controlled doorway and essentially disengaged the ability of the entity to control the doorway without interfering with the threshold at all. I propose we repeat that on these doorways around the perimeter of the fountain room to prevent any other entities or their minions from attacking us while we expand our base."
"Ah, I see. That was while I was in the workshop. Hmm. Interesting. I'm sure it will be very useful. But I don't see what relevance it has here. I thought your objection was to the danger of connecting Castlina to a hostile entity, but what you're proposing doesn't affect that at all. As far as I can see, all it does is sever the entity's ability to control the portcullis, effectively disarming a single possible trap. As you say, it doesn't affect the threshold connection. All I want to do is lift the threshold on a door over which no entity currently has control so we can learn a bit more and, with any luck, get hold of an intact crystal that we can install here."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:09 am

"I am not angry at all. Enoch here is the one who yelled and is still foaming with anger. But sure, I am the bad guy, why not?"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:41 am

Kew sighs...
She writes out
Replace Threshold Fuse
"Your focused on the single requirement"
Get Fuse from Threshold she writes
"However I am looking at the fact that we need to also"
Not have the fuse damaged while being removed
Not having the fuse damaged while moving the fuse
"So what is most probable cause of us not meeting these requirements, what is the Risk?"
She writes out...
Being Attacked by Hostile Entities
"So by securing our outer perimiter of gateways around the fountain room against outside incursion we will eliminate this Risk"
She then cuts a line through
Being Attacked by Hostile Entities
"Allowing us to meet these two additional requirements we need to achieve to meet our ultimate goal."
Kew then looks again at Gabe, "Now do you see what I am trying to do, and why now?" she asks.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:31 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 am

Gabe takes a deep breath to recover his patience.

"I've seen no evidence that entities will or even can attack outside their established domains. But I suppose it's possible they could have minions. And there are other creatures roaming about. If that was your worry, you could have simply said so instead of insisting on your narrow point and then wasting our time with condescending theatrics.

I've already got a long to-do list. Besides connecting Castlina across this threshold, I promised to help Heiro with good generator, we need to fix the mechanism on this door, I want to see if I can restore Charlie any further, I want to improve our tools, there's much to learn... But I suppose our defense is paramount. I don't know how likely it is that anything would come along during the brief time it would take to do what I proposed, but better safe than sorry. Hopefully, what you propose won't take long. I'll bump it to the top of the list.

Meantime, see if you can work on your communication skills. For the record, around here, 'entity' refers to fragments of the castle's personality, like Castlina. What you're worried about are hostile creatures, which is another matter. If we use the same terminology, that should should help matters."
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:32 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

"I am not angry at all. Enoch here is the one who yelled and is still foaming with anger. But sure, I am the bad guy, why not?"
"Don't be so passive-agressive...just don't try to insult people. For the love of the ancients, grow a sense of decency Ziou. Not all can cope with the loss of knowledge so well. Next time don't rub it into his face, then maybe, he won't call you butcher again. Same for you Enoch, you should not have called him butcher, his skill is below that of a butcher. A butcher at least knows where to cut." Hiero suddenly clicks his tongue and raises the corner of his mouth, like he made a sad joke. "We all lost things and have to learn to deal with it. He has no doctor knowledge anymore, only his title, and you just know enough about cutting things up to not hold the scalpel at the wrong end. We neither need people still believing hard they still got the same knowledge at the risk of bringing us or themselves into danger, nor people talking us or themselves down. Your are not a bad guy, and he is still a doctor. Find the fine line between nothing and your former knowledge, and be aware of it! We are forced to be a team know, cause acting like one we can regain our knowledge quicker and minimize the risks of this place." Hiero says, returning to his task and shaking his head.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Ziou looks unimpressed. "With everything that has been going on around recently, do you really think that is nessicary? Really, I was not expecting him to actually hear me, due to all this noise and me talking to myself quietly. :meh: Well at least now I can say that I was getting rather bored of him rubbing his resume in the faces of everybody and tries to make everybody stroke his ego to make himself feel superior."
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Enoch sputters. "How dare you?! I was having a conversation with Heironymus and you chose to butt in with an insult, you knave! Butcher is right, Heironymus. This dolt just hacks at things like a cleaver at a slab of meat, with no respect for the sciences. You don't deserve your scalpel, ingrate! Leave me be!"

Enoch turns away and returns to his lantern, throwing his emotion into his work.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:04 pm

"Oh I am so sorry your highness for I have muttered to myself. No wonder you were thrown in here, if you had these violent outbursts for someone saying the truth quietly then many moking you would have caused quite a stir. I give respect when respect is due, not when it is demanded."
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Enoch looks as if he is about to retort, but puffs out air and shakes his head before going back to work with a glower.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:58 am

WearsHats wrote:Gabe takes a deep breath to recover his patience.

"I've seen no evidence that entities will or even can attack outside their established domains. But I suppose it's possible they could have minions. And there are other creatures roaming about. If that was your worry, you could have simply said so instead of insisting on your narrow point and then wasting our time with condescending theatrics.

I've already got a long to-do list. Besides connecting Castlina across this threshold, I promised to help Heiro with good generator, we need to fix the mechanism on this door, I want to see if I can restore Charlie any further, I want to improve our tools, there's much to learn... But I suppose our defense is paramount. I don't know how likely it is that anything would come along during the brief time it would take to do what I proposed, but better safe than sorry. Hopefully, what you propose won't take long. I'll bump it to the top of the list.

Meantime, see if you can work on your communication skills. For the record, around here, 'entity' refers to fragments of the castle's personality, like Castlina. What you're worried about are hostile creatures, which is another matter. If we use the same terminology, that should should help matters."
► Show Spoiler
OOC: Really a little arrogant bugger isn't he...

Kew raises an eyebrow..."What exactly was not clear about my original comment 'for security purposes?' And I must say any theatrics, though they were less theatrical much of what I have seen here, were about convincing you that not soley focusing on your apparent single-minded focus. Now I will apologize if I came off condescending, but most sparks tend to become quite single minded in focus."
She looks at Gabe, "Actually what caused the Baron to toss you in here?...your far more rational than I was expecting to meet."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:40 am

OOC: Actually, that's what he was thinking about Kew in this exchange. Among other things.

"I have a long list of things to do. I get through that list by going through it one thing at a time. Most projects only take an hour or two, at most, so it's not like I'm spending entire days doing one thing. I'm getting things done in manageable chunks. That's not single-minded. It's productive. And it works a lot better than dropping everything halfway through every time someone comes up with a new plan.

As for myself... I never really considered myself a spark until I was thrown down here. I'm still coming to terms with the idea that I am. Even that is hard to say, I must admit. I'm a porter by trade. It's the family business. I like to tinker on the side. To make the job easier and more efficient. Those clanks that delivered our supplies when they threw you down here? My memory is still fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure those were my design. I had a plan to use flying clanks to automate deliveries from the docks to the various warehouses. The field test... did not go well. That's why they arrested me and threw me down here. I thought it unjust, to say the least, but I'm coming to see that it was a reckless thing to have done. People like us... we're more dangerous than we realize. Maybe it's for the best that we're down here." Gabe closes his eyes and takes a shaky breath.

"But we've got work to do. Let's get to it."

► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:41 am

Kew's talk about defending the workshop draws August's interest.

"Good to see that I am not the only one here, who is concerned about our safety. My name is Gallardi, August Gallardi. I believe our introduction was cut short by Mr Griffins abrupt departure, Miss...?"

"While I agree that we need to do something about our defences, I think we should focus on arming and training everyone first. Some here have apparently no experience in a fight, and those of us who do, fare no better after the mind wipe. We are also sorely lacking in weapons and armor, a situation I am currently planning to rectify"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:45 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:39 am

She nods at Gabe, "Quite, though I think your more likely guilty of taking a short cut than being truly dangerous. Now then, in the future we need to communicate better so how about we agree to ask more questions and make less assumptions when discussing the path forward? Agreed sir? And any apologies for my rather rudimentary attempt at teaching back there, You would be surprised at how many fellow sparks tend to be single minded to the point it takes a sledgehammer to change their course...but I can be opaque or infuriating at times... "

She turns slightly when August interrupts
"Lady Kew MacIver of Her Majesties Thames House." She politely listens for a moment and then nods. "Obviously sir you are one with some background in these matters. I would point out that it would be easier for us to train ourselves and the others here if we can at least secure the outer perimeter of the fountain room to train in. Might I avail myself of your guidance in doing so at the moment since I beleive you were involved in the process of securing the first doorway there?"

She looks at Gabe, "I suggest we leave the threshold on its current wooden supports over its hole and breakdown your threshold crane before I attempt to secure the other doorways and you determine what changes need to be made to your equipment to raise this rat room threshold. If we find an intact crystal I would like to study it somewhat before installation."

She asks the room, "Does anyone have a chisel I might borrow?"
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:11 am

"You raise a fair point Miss MacIver, having more space available would certainly be helpful. I was going to accompany Mr Treger anyway, so I will help you to the best of my abilities. And yes, I was present when the gate was secured, but I did not do much work in that regard. I'm afraid that even with my spark I am a rather poor mechanic, my talents are of a more conflict focused nature. I am not sure of how much help I will be."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Hiero says out loud, as the others are discussion things just like Enoch, Ziou and him did "Maybe we should create a task board, so we have a better overview over things to do and planned. Then people who have time available could pick something they could help in instead of idling. Maybe that way we could combine our ressources better."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:38 pm

(It's the middle of the night for me. I'm just waiting until my blood sugar stabilizes so I can hopefully get back to sleep. I'll address the communications breakdown later. I'm going to assume that what Quarg means is that we're detaching the rods from the block, folding up the tripod, gathering tools, and going to work on the fountain room doors, after which we'll move the tripod to the fountain room threshold closest to us. I'm good with that. But given that we just spent half a page talking past each other, I'm not going to take it for granted that I'm understanding what he actually means.)

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:25 am

Gabe speculates that the powder may be the dusty remains of a crystal of quartz, and Kew recalls there being a book on gemcutting, and grabs it from the shelf to see if there is any specific information to be had on the nature of quartz. Before she can sit down to read it, she and Gabe have a difference of opinion on how to proceed... he'd like to lift other thresholds to study them and look for intact crystals that might be utilized in place of the pulverized one. Kew on the other hand, is concerned about placing themselves in danger lifting thresholds in an unsecured area where they may be vulnerable, and would rather play it as safe as possible. "Castella are there any similar threshold connections within your territory we might be able to study?"

Castlina ignores her... since Kew must be addressing someone else.

Gabe describes what they currently know about how rooms are connected and controlled by Castle entities, there is a bit of confusion and mild argument as to how to proceed, but in the end they agree to disable gate controls of the other two exits from the Fountain Room, similarly to how Sam and friends removed the hostile entities control over the paired gates on the far side of the room. That should ensure that if there are hostile entities down those hallways, they won't be able to drop the gates on anyone, or allow any of their underlings/creatures to enter the fountain room (unless they can operate a gate switch or are small enough to fit through the bars).

As they announce their intention of leaving to do some work in the fountain room, August perks up, never one to let any one go about unguarded. Sam pipes in as well, as one of the main sparks working on converting the threshold gates to manual, he offers his assistance as well.

The four of them (plus Charlie) light up some torches, gather some tools (hammers, chisels and the like) and get to work on first the left gate, finding the triggering block after a short search. As they start to chisel at the stone block, it triggers the gate and it rises into the ceiling. They alternate taking turns at chiseling and standing guard with Charlie, but nothing comes for them down the darkened hallway. Once they get the block removed, they pull the mechanism to drop the gate before gathering up their tools and head across the fountain room to the opposite wall. They get the stone block removed here as well, and are ready to begin severing and modifying the connections.
► Show Spoiler

Meanwhile, in an entirely different series of arguments, Enoch and Ziou get into it over respect, titles, knowledge (or the lack of it), but stop short of insulting one another's mothers when Hiero steps in to placate them... with minimal success. Eventually they huff of to their respective corners to cool down and put some of that energy into their work.

Enoch gets back to working on his lantern, muttering under his breath about damned think-they-know-it-all butchers. He doesn't make much progress, much to his furthered annoyance.
► Show Spoiler
Ziou returns to his book, snarling about uppity think-they-know-it-all doctors. His anger blurs the words on the page, and he realizes he's been reading the same bit over and over again.
► Show Spoiler
((I'm not penalizing you for 'fighting', that's how the rolls came up, just adding that context for flavor.))

Hiero, once he's sure no one is going to try to stab anyone, returns to working on his rudimentary steam project.
► Show Spoiler

Ursula sighs and pulls the music box closer to her in an attempt to drown out the squabbling.
► Show Spoiler

The clock on the wall says 2:45 o'clock.
The four sparks in the fountain room get to work modifying the internal gears, rods and other mechanisms to remove control of the gate from the Castle and put it under manual control.
► Show Spoiler
They manage to get both left and right gates secured, and for now, the Fountain Room is as secure as they can make it.

Enoch buckles down and gets some good lanternmaking done.
► Show Spoiler
Ziou makes a bit better progress on his learning of traps.
► Show Spoiler
Hiero finishes his Steam Flask, and it's ready to be installed below his static generator. The directed steam should give it a boost in production, though the flask will need to be topped off with water every so often.
► Show Spoiler

Ursula finishes off work on the spider bin. It should now be able to get a partial wind from the weight of debris it drops off, as well as she being able to wind the station, putting a spring under tension that can then wind the spider as it deposits it's load.
► Show Spoiler

The clock on the wall says 3:00 o'clock. *Ka-blang*
► Show Spoiler

Unclaimed items
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Hiero installs the steam flask and the looks around if there is a water source he could connect to the flask with some tubes. If anybody close by is short of success, he will offer to aid to finish their projects. He will ask Ursula (since Lady) first, then Enoch, then Ziou. If nobody needs help, he will start with a new project. Mobile steam generators. Like a little oven with a inbuilt heat source and a water tank, from which a small current will be vapourized, rising through a long and wide chimney. Inside the chimney he wants to build a fan, and, above it, something he knows from chemistry, an alembic (but made of metal and having cooling fins). That way the steam can cool down and run back into the tank. A circle. On top of the alembic he will try to make a overpressure safe relief by sewing cloth over a heavy bolt. If the pressure is too high, it can raise the bolt, but not "spit it out", since it will be held by the cloth, so it will close the alembic again once the pressure is lower. With some experimenting, he then should be able to find the perfect heat to keep it running all the time without loosing too much steam through the safe relief. Maybe he can use his knowledge of chemistry and metalworking to build a small steady flame and therefore heat, not an unsteady heat like a fire or coal fire would create. Maybe he could convince Enoch to help him. After all, the flame management and fueling would be similar to his current lamp project. If they build some of those mobile steam generators, they could not only heat and light the other rooms better, but also provide some energy. Hiero was planning to build akkumulator tools in the long run, not only to charge his body capacitors.
If only he could remember how to create electricity out of wire and magnets.