Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:41 am

Yeah, it seems to be able to have the tutor points refunded when replacing it with something else.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 am

Soooo....did you guys ever resolve that discussion on whether Combat Maneuvers count as Status Moves?

Totally not asking because Spike Shot lets me use Melee Moves at Range 8 :paranoia:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:13 am

Dusk9 wrote:What makes you think Prometheus is/usurped Zygarde though?
Arch Lich Burns wrote:God auras are disabled in the area around devourer aura and only zygrade has that aura
On top of that, when Prometheus fought Regifae there was no sign of auras having been broken. From fighting Hoopa, it's clear that breaking an aura through force can be rather destructive, so if he had broken them there should have been signs (Less so than in the castle, obviously, that was already pretty unstable). Which means he must have disabled them, instead. That means he has Devourer or he was given a gift by Regigigas or Arceus, the only two with dominance over the Regis. I don't think there were any other ways to disable a legendary's auras, but I'm not entirely familiar with BaD.

And best wishes to Natrivv. Hopefully scheduling doesn't get too much more intense.
... Guess that means I've got a Feebas with nobody to give it to. Might sell this one, I guess. Alex said he'd give it to an owner who would make it beautiful, and none but a fool would take a feebas unless that's what they intend. I don't think Alex can legally sell pokemon to people, though, only the League. Right?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:20 am

Dusk9 wrote:Soooo....did you guys ever resolve that discussion on whether Combat Maneuvers count as Status Moves?

Totally not asking because Spike Shot lets me use Melee Moves at Range 8 :paranoia:
They are not moves. They are status attacks which is different.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 am

Dlover wrote:... Guess that means I've got a Feebas with nobody to give it to. Might sell this one, I guess. Alex said he'd give it to an owner who would make it beautiful, and none but a fool would take a feebas unless that's what they intend. I don't think Alex can legally sell pokemon to people, though, only the League. Right?
Koa might be interested, since he's been in a Beauty contest before. It might not do much else besides Beauty contests, though, since Koa already has a Water type that will eventually be just as/more useful than it.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: They are not moves. They are status attacks which is different.
Shh! Don't tell Mort!!! :shifty:

But yeah, you're probably right. I just liked the idea of Fern Grappling enemies 8m away from her :lol:
SuperVaderMan wrote:
Dlover wrote:... Guess that means I've got a Feebas with nobody to give it to. Might sell this one, I guess. Alex said he'd give it to an owner who would make it beautiful, and none but a fool would take a feebas unless that's what they intend. I don't think Alex can legally sell pokemon to people, though, only the League. Right?
Koa might be interested, since he's been in a Beauty contest before. It might not do much else besides Beauty contests, though, since Koa already has a Water type that will eventually be just as/more useful than it.
Yeah, I've already got plans to eventually have three Water types (Feraligator, Mantine, and Wailord). Four would probably be a bit overkill :roll: :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am

I wouldn't mind one! I need a water type if I want to take on the fire gym latter. I need another ranged attacker anyways. And I will make it part grass type so it will only be weak to poison, flying and bug. And being able to use ice moves would also be nice.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 am

Drake is pretty much up for every pokemon as he aims to be a breeder/researcher once he have had his share of adventure :p

And dex xp
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Sometimes I feel like this thread is just a circlejerk going over minor details in the rules... :P

But yeah, maneuvers aren't moves. I clearly remember from last time this topic came around... :P

ALSO! I'm probably getting a bit quick on the trigger here, but better to bring it out now than two seconds before someone is actually gonna try it, since we seem to be getting pretty close to it... And that is something relating to the gym battles.

So the gym battle themselves will be 6v6, with the gym leaders pokemon always being the level of the badge you are attempting, albeit with tutoring and a high level trainer to back them up, as well as in most cases a "gimmick" of some form... Which will sometimes serve to make the battle harder, but other times simply add a twist to it.

But that's not what I want to talk about right now- What I wanted to talk about is about the concept of what would come before the battle, namely the gym challenge. The idea I had was that each gym would also have an associated challenge, which while it might include pokemon, shouldn't involve fighting them- And is fact mostly focused on the trainers and a test of skills against them.

(Naturally, the challenges would be mostly fool-proof so that even Alex could eventually stumble through an challenge that'd require perception, or at least have an alternative path to take, so you shouldn't end up unable to do a gym simply because you never leveled up your athletics. I'd intend them for more of a fun diversion than anything else, hopefully.)

So while I'm interested to hear your guys thoughts on the basic concept, main thing is the idea I had for the fairy gym challenge, because I realized my current idea would have some... inherent issues. To the point while I think it could be great if pulled off successfully, just scrapping it and thinking of another fitting challenge.

The idea basically being that the trainers would have to enter a game/quiz show- Where you guys would basically have to solve questions, at times using edu rolls to receive hints or answers, although I'd want to base at least some of the questions on real trivia, which'd mean you might actually know some of the answers. (It could also be a way to sneak in some lore... :roll:)

Issues that are arriving of this... Well, let's say that there's 9 questions total- That'd mean we'd spent at least a total of 9 rounds on completing the challenge, which I don't think is too long to be fair- As long as it's engaging. And there I must admit that what would amount to simply answering a question each turn doesn't sound particularly engaging. I could probably fix that by adding a twist to it with every question or something along those lines, and do have a few ideas for that, but none that I think would really make the process exciting enough to warrant it being there.

This would probably be made worse if edu rolls were to be involved, trying to determine a hint or answer to the question, which could essentially double that. (Although to be fair, I'd probably give out quick updates with results on that when possible...)

And finally... While I could base it on some real pokemon trivia, there's no way to make sure you guys don't cheat. :P I mean I could avert that by making ALL questions about stuff you can't know, or at least only stuff about this setting- But that'd also probably turn the whole thing into simply rolling the appropriate skill roll, which is also not particularly engaging.

Just an infodump as I'm curious to see what your thoughts are... Let me know what you think- I have more clear ideas for the other gym challenges, but found this one dubious enough to get your guys input on it.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

My first concern would be: 6v6? You don't think that's overdoing it a bit? Any single trainer is likely going to have one or two pokemon that are good match-ups for the gym, but they're also likely to have one or two bad ones, which would even things up between challenger and gym leader. The gym leader will then typically have the advantage in being a high level trainer with lots of other advantages for their pokemon, something the challenger might not necessarily have.

And maybe I'm just super impatient, and the others don't feel this way, but there's also the RL time concern. Going with the usual one-turn-per-day format is agonizingly slow for single battles, especially if you start losing. Making a full 6v6 challenge would be grueling.

Now as far as the challenge itself, rather than make it a 'you basically can't lose' thing where failure just makes it take longer to complete, I would consider rewarding a trainer for success.

Each time the challenging trainer succeeds at something maybe you could:
1) Give the challenger a bonus for the Gym battle
2) Remove one or more of the Gym leader's advantages

To give an example, let's assume Koa was a Gym leader, and he gets a challenger. Maybe the challenge is to help prepare food for waiting customers at a restaurant-style gym. For each customer that's happy with their meal, Koa would grant the trainer a benefit for the Gym battle. Maybe he would give the trainer a Treat item for one of their pokemon, or maybe Koa would restrict one of his pokemon to only using 1 digestion buff, rather than using the full 3 from Gluttony.

The better you do in the challenge, the more likely it is that you'll win the battle, basically. It wouldn't be required to win, but it would make things much easier if you do really well on the challenge.

As for your Quiz Show suggestion, instead of just posing the questions and the trainers can either answer them or they can't, perhaps you could give the trainers a chance to find the answers out on their own? Like, Eliza presents the question or topic, and then she gives the trainer 5-10 minutes to figure out the answer. The challenger would then have free reign to roam about the gym, maybe Charming the gym staff into giving them hints, maybe deducing the answer from pictures or furnishings that are around the place, or maybe they can just make a good Education roll to get a good idea of what the answer is without having to do much searching.

You might have put a restriction on electronic devices, though. Like, if you search Google for an answer, then you automatically fail that question (or if you get caught using Google, you fail, for any Stealth/Guile users out there).

You'd probably have to limit the number of questions, too, if you did this approach.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 pm

My first concern would be: 6v6? You don't think that's overdoing it a bit? Any single trainer is likely going to have one or two pokemon that are good match-ups for the gym, but they're also likely to have one or two bad ones, which would even things up between challenger and gym leader. The gym leader will then typically have the advantage in being a high level trainer with lots of other advantages for their pokemon, something the challenger might not necessarily have.

And maybe I'm just super impatient, and the others don't feel this way, but there's also the RL time concern. Going with the usual one-turn-per-day format is agonizingly slow for single battles, especially if you start losing. Making a full 6v6 challenge would be grueling.
Eh, 6v6 seems to be the standard, although I admit it would probably take a while. If others share the sentiment I can adjust it, though. Or do it retroactively if we figure it takes too long.
Now as far as the challenge itself, rather than make it a 'you basically can't lose' thing where failure just makes it take longer to complete, I would consider rewarding a trainer for success.
Yeah, this was for a part what I was thinking could happen with some of the gym challenges, and it being "foolproof". While anyone can do it, depending on your performance, you'd gain some kind of benefit in the upcoming battle.
As for your Quiz Show suggestion, instead of just posing the questions and the trainers can either answer them or they can't, perhaps you could give the trainers a chance to find the answers out on their own? Like, Eliza presents the question or topic, and then she gives the trainer 5-10 minutes to figure out the answer. The challenger would then have free reign to roam about the gym, maybe Charming the gym staff into giving them hints, maybe deducing the answer from pictures or furnishings that are around the place, or maybe they can just make a good Education roll to get a good idea of what the answer is without having to do much searching.

You might have put a restriction on electronic devices, though. Like, if you search Google for an answer, then you automatically fail that question (or if you get caught using Google, you fail, for any Stealth/Guile users out there).

You'd probably have to limit the number of questions, too, if you did this approach.
Hmm... That might be an option- But you're right in that there'd probably be a lot more time invested in each question, too. It's a bit much to be incorporated like that I think, but it's food for thought...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm

I am not sure if trivia questions fit eliza thematically, there was no previous indication of such.

If it were me, I would have trainers give players the option of either doing a mini contest (of one pokemon) of gym trainer's choice or a battle (with more pokemon). Each one would have benifits and detrements where contests wont use up scene/daily moves and wont harm your mon but you get less exp. and if you loose the contest it is like loosing a battle with a gym trainer or challenger forfiets that pokemon

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:37 pm

It's not trivia questions. It's a fabulous game show, darling!

I did briefly consider doing a contest instead... But like I said, the challenge is supposed to be about the trainer. Not their pokemon.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Dont battles typically only focus on pokemon? :p

As one of the few trainers that have less than 6 pokemon, would I be disqualified from battling her? Because I am pretty sure even with my current team i can beat her. The larvesta is basically to guarentee victory.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:02 pm

The battle is about your pokemon yes. But I'm talking about the challenge before it. :roll:

No, you wouldn't be disqualified, you can come in with any amount of pokemon- You'd certainly be at a disadvantage if you don't have a full team, though.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Theis2 wrote:Drake is pretty much up for every pokemon as he aims to be a breeder/researcher once he have had his share of adventure :p

And dex xp
Oh, that's a point. I'm already falling behind in levels, there's no way I'm giving others more xp easily. I might give it to Phoenix or Bjorn, since they're both on level 6 too, but anyone else and you're gonna have to get something for me. >:D
M0rtimer wrote:albeit with tutoring and a high level trainer to back them up,
Well, there's no problem there. Alex isn't far from being the best tutor possible, and everyone else is OP as heck. :P
Fear the Alex. Once he's been carried far enough his Mentoring will put him on even footing with Gym Leaders! Need a bit more carrying first, though, so get to Move Tutor.
M0rtimer wrote:(Naturally, the challenges would be mostly fool-proof so that even Alex could eventually stumble through an challenge that'd require perception, or at least have an alternative path to take, so you shouldn't end up unable to do a gym simply because you never leveled up your athletics. I'd intend them for more of a fun diversion than anything else, hopefully.)
... Hey, now, there are only three types of challenges which would give Alex any trouble. He can solve about half the challenges with pokemon, which he'll train to have better skills. As you can see below, All of the skills pokemon can have are covered quite handily, and most of the gaps are covered by Alex himself.
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:48 pm

I think I once again need to point out the whole "This is about you and not your pokemon" :p ;)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:50 pm

That is about Alex, though. His talent is in making pokemon more capable than they already are.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Is it possible to have team battles so That someone can help Alex (dibs) in the gym battle?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 pm

I'll probably be able to handle the lowest levels without too much more trouble than everyone else, thanks to Commander. Well, I lost my Ground type when Gwen evolved, and gained a Flying type, so I lost a resistance and gained a weakness, but Shendry is immune to electric, so long as I can avoid her weaknesses. And I'll need to get a sixth pokemon which isn't a Feebas.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Hmm... Yeah, if you guys wanna do a double battle, that works.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Also what if our chara does not want to do trivia questions?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Out of luck. :P

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Hey M0rt, what about the TM Phoenix ordered? Did it come in today? And if not, then is there any way we can pretend it did? I really want to fight Eliza, but I also really want Winger to have a reliable Special Move beforehand.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Oh right, I forgot you asked about that. I think technically it would be tomorrow based on what I said previously, but yeah, let's just say you've waited long enough and can get it today.