Random Thread 2: Social plane shifting?

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Random Thread 2: the dodge percent

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 am

Man. So the uni club I joined recently is having a VR event tomorrow, but it's working out at a few minutes to try it each, and it takes hours to even get into the city. It's just not worth the time, even though I wanna try VR do bad. -.-
At least it's only $5 to join for the year, and I used the club's bar tab for like $15 of drinks, so I got my money's worth.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 am

Hmm is vr this inaccessible where you are from?
Aside from the typical PS4 vr and all the mobile editions (Google card board for one example)
I think nearly all semi-geek and geek like events the last year or two her in Denmark has had some sort of vr...

That said, I was wondering, if in the future I were to set up a game, meant to help me practice my drawing skills and have a bit of fun. Would anyone be interested in that?

Here is how I would play it:
3-5 players.
Each "round" would consist of 1-6 "actions", amount declared before each round from me.
Each action would give the players 24 hours to respond. I'll respond during this time as often as I can with written responses.
Then at the last action, players still has At Least 24 hours to respond, then when I have time I'll say an update is incoming. At this point, all actions are locked and I'll try and to make the rounds actions into a single comic page.

Then a new round begins.

It would run on a classic role-playing system, either dnd 5e or nwod for simplicity.
Setting would be a medieval fantasy, low magic setting. (think original Conan the barbarian set in 800 England)
Players would come from the working class but haven taken up arms to fight a common thread to the people.

Players would be locked to the same location mostly, only be able to "split up" on special occasions...

So sample play:
► Show Spoiler
I'll post some images of the art style in a bit, but it's the same as the one I use in "Our Town" but more evolved/better action poses and some background... That's why it's in the future.

The whole point is for me to practice drawing action and bigger scenes. As well as practicing story telling. So feedback will be valued highly :)

What do you guys say, would that be interesting?

Okay, as promised, style sheets: (Spoiler for mobile users)

Drawing process sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Character type sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Misc sheet:
► Show Spoiler
Action scene sample sheet:
► Show Spoiler
This is not really recruitment, more to see if this has interest at all?
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:05 am

Sounds simple enough. I'd probably take a slot if one was open. Your drawing has come a long way in the last few years.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you :)
Yea, i hope to make it simple, its just as much to make practice a bit more fun and give something to the forum :)
-Best regards LAYF

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 am

So I finished the last of the Wheel of Time series today. Kind of sad to have no more of that to read. Any suggestions for what to start on next?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 am

I've not read the Sanderson written ones yet... I'll have to pick those up eventually... but if they are good, have you read any of his other stuff (I have not).

I've you've not read (or as in my case, not read recently... think it was 20 years ago), David Eddings series, they are worth a go.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:50 am

You know, sanderson's mistborn trilogy was pretty good and worth a look.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 am

Mistborn was utterly amazing ! Most unique worked out magic system I have ever read
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 am

I've read the Belgariad, but nothing else from Eddings. I'll have to give that a look. And Sanderson's works, too, he did a good job with the later WoT books.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 am

I've started rereading the Belgariad, and will continue with the Mallorean series that is its sequel. That and the other series of his (Elenium and its sequel, Tamuli), were some of the very first fantasy stories I ever read.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:29 am

Damnit, this is just expanding my lists of "books I should get around to reading"... Recently bought "1984" though. Figured it could be... Relevant, in current times. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 am

Anything by terry prachet!

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 am

*hugs for burns*

Prachet is the absolute best
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I've started rereading the Belgariad, and will continue with the Mallorean series that is its sequel. That and the other series of his (Elenium and its sequel, Tamuli), were some of the very first fantasy stories I ever read.
Ah, I forgot about the Mallorean. It's been a while since I read it, but I'm certain I enjoyed it. Which bodes well for Elenium and Tamuli.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Anything by terry prachet!
I've read... Actually, I don't know how much of the Discworld I've read. The books revolving around Death, and the Wee Free men + Sequels. I know there's more that I haven't read, though. They're just waiting on the bookshelf for me to pick them up. Probably fall apart as soon as I do, most of our books are ones my parents bought decades back. We had to buy new copies of the Riftwar Saga because it completely came apart soon after I started with it... Actually, I should see if I can find any more of those. I'm certain I've not read everything in the Riftwar Cycle.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 am

M0rtimer wrote:Damnit, this is just expanding my lists of "books I should get around to reading"... Recently bought "1984" though. Figured it could be... Relevant, in current times. :roll:
1984 is excellent, but you should also read Brave New World. They have different views on how a dystopia may come to exist, but arguably, BNW is far more relevant in today's climate than 1984. They're both excellent though, and definitely worth a read. I also really liked "the Windup Girl". It's a completely different setting, but is another excellent sci-fi dystopia for current times.

Similarly, if you've never seen the movie "Brazil" by Terry Gilliam, I highly recommend that as well. The ending hits incredibly hard, but it's got a lot of similarities with 1984 I think.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 am

I started 1984 as bedside reading, but had to stop.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:21 am

Hmm.. I have no input on the books...

That said... Interest/beginning recruitment for my next game is up.

While this is a thing a bit in the future, I'd like to start setup now, so that the things needed can be slowly hammered and moulded into form and function :)

http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1708
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 am

(To dig up an old topic as I forgot to reply)

Oh, I heard about brave new world, too. Might be more immediately relevant if I was looking for a "what we need to fear today" story... Although I heard if I wanted that I should look up a movie called "idiocracy" :roll:

Anyways... I have a brief question to ask. I guess it's more of an interest poll- Inspired by LAYF's new god game, Aegis starting up Civilization again...

I used to run a game called Ruined Kingdom. It's a game in which you're a red dragon in charge of a kingdom and it's court members, after most of the kingdom got destroyed and you've been working on restoring it to it's former glory...

It was a game that originally came from the original forums from a different user, that left, as I liked the concept enough to steal borrow it. Since then, it died once, got revived, but as you might notice looking at the last few posts, apparently died with no reason as I never posted the incoming update.

I suppose I can only offer a very belated apology and explanation for that- Basically, it wasn't my intention at first to abandon the game, but as time passed I came to the realization that I had very little other choice- And enough time had passed for me to be stuck between "Maybe things will get better and I can continue with just a note apologizing for taking so long" or, well, that it was easier to let sleeping beasts lie.

Basically, I had just started my first year of college (And only- It was a masters switch program I eventually dropped out of ) and I was honestly starting to get... I wouldn't call it overwhelmed, but I definitely had other priorities for most of my time. I did still have time to work on updating things, but not as much as usual... And Ruined Kingdom was not my first game- I was already running Trinity Isles. At a certain point I realized, I would not be able to work on one game while not forcing the other game to wait. That's not something I wanted to do- I wouldn't consider it fair to my longer running players.

Honestly, when I had that realization is the moment I should have made a post explaining that the game was going to be put in indefinite hiatus. I didn't though, but I guess that's now in the past.

The past is the past though, and right now I think I should have the time to relaunch it at a reasonable time... Assuming there's still interest- I'd need to do some work finding replacement pictures as it appears many pictures I stole borrowed got removed from their hosting site, and I should probably write a quick synopsis of what happened as both a reminder to older players, and a summary to new players. (Although I think the latter will actually be surprisingly easy)

So... Would anyone be favorably despositioned towards a thread resurrection?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am

Yup! That game was fun :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am

It was! And big inspiration for the fallout game I'm still trying to run.

I'm in if you jumpstart the dragon!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Okay, if I had not already games running and in the works, I'd love to run or play a game based on this short comic.

It's a comic placed on imgur as part of a campaign/commercial for Toronto comics... And it is awesome :)

Anyone up for running a game based on that?
(i would, but have to much in the oven before it would be possible)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Hah, that's cool. I already have waaaay more going on here than I can really deal with though so I'm going to bow out early on volunteering to run it or play :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 am

I guess I'm revealing I live on the east coast saying this, but there's pretty severe weather as the result of a cyclone, so it's possible I'll lose power at some point over the next couple days, and if I do there's no knowing how long it'd take to come back. So yeah, just as a heads up for the games related to me.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:45 am

Ah shit, I didn't realise you were in its path! Hope you're safe and the lights stay on for you...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am

I'm not in the danger zone, but after it broke up it basically spat a massive storm all along the coast. Lots of places are flooded, but living on a hill makes flooding less likely for me, so it's basically just a matter of hoping power is stable.
My game:

My characters: