The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm

I take a cursory look around, comparing the ship as we board to the ships I'd snuck aboard during my smuggling days.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

((Mehr will want to keep the bird. It'll be useful for sending messages back to employers, and if we find the missing noble couple they can send a message back to their family to confirm their wellbeing. Otherwise... I think Otho can run the store on default.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Gwen's going to crash on a bed (if any) and sleep off the liquour.

Vision/nightmare: 1D20 = [6] = 6

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Korrik takes a look around. The Gloriana has an open deck, with raised quarterdeck at the stern where the wheel is placed. Below that, there's a doorway leading inside the ship, to the lower decks where Korrik can see lantern light and hear a quiet conversation.

The figure at the bows looks up as you all climb on board the ship.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 pm

"Oh, she is? Well damn, there's no fun in that..."

Syli makes her way onto the ship, her eyes briefly sweeping the deck and landing on the odd figure, before happily barging into the lower decks of the ship to explore.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

((ooooh! Was that going to be your urchin-derived starter-mouse? I did NOT pick up on that! Sorry, I'll find you another one :lol:))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:39 pm

((Hmm... wait a minute, Captain Ambershard has a dog, doesn't she? I don't suppose she happens to take that along on boat rides... o:) ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Varsk straightens up from his contemplation of the smooth waters as he hears the strangers come on board. He scans them briefly, to take in any obvious weapons, only mildly curious who would be coming so late in the evening before turning back to the water.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

Mehr heads for the cabin, knocking at the door and waiting on admission.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 am

Varsk turns around to see who's coming on board so late at night. It's a group comprising a three men (a reddish-gold dragonborn, a halfling, and a burly, elven-looking man) and two women (one of whom looks distinctly elvish). The dragonborn's clothes are of a finer quality than the others, but everyone appears dressed to travel.

Merhiv thumps on the door and hears a woman shout from below:

"COME IN, IT'S OPEN"

Pushing the door open, he finds himself in a fairly large room, filled with boxes of sailing gear, and neat rows of boots and oilskins hanging on pegs along the wall. A small kitchen can be see through another door to the side and the smell of old grease permeates the area.

A steep stepladder leads down to the belly of the ship. Like the Iskat, this vessel has six wooden figurines standing along the sides of the ship with their arms attached to oars. A couple of hammocks are strung between beams near the front of the space, and in the centre of the floor, a wide hatch is open leading further into the belly of the ship. You can hear the sounds of crates being moved around down below, shortly before Raina appears, climbing up out of the hold in sweat-soaked work clothes.

"You made it! Glad to see you here so early, it saves me having to leave you behind. Let me show you around..."

You get the quick tour of the ship. Despite it's relatively small size, the vessel is mostly empty and doesn't feel cramped. There barrels of fresh water on each deck, with raincatchers on the upper deck to replenish supplies during the afternoon storms; food is stored in the hold, and there are a number of spare hammocks strung up on the mid deck for you to use. Raina's private cabin is in a locked room at the stern of the mid deck near the stepladder.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:29 am

Having never seen their like before, I hop up on one of the benches to check out the wooden guys...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 am

I'll take an int check for Korrik

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 am

Korrik takes a look at the mannequins. They are faceless and featureless, but otherwise closely resemble small humanoids, with carefully-carved and pegged joints to allow them to move and bend realistically. They seem to be attached to built to hold oars, but if there's a mechanism to drive them he can't tell what it is. That probably means it's either a work of super craftsmanship, or magic.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

Gwen waves at the guards as she enters the boat. She looks at the half orc when he gets the weapons "Is this needed?" She gladly hands him her weapons, knowing that she's still able to defend herself if needed.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:28 am

((I'm pretty sure Rodgeir meant Vrask was looking over the weapons, not actively confiscating them.))

Syli laughs. "And miss out on a chance to ride on one of these things? Please!" She glances about the ship as Raina shows her around. "Although... I mean, I get that most of it is probably handled with magic, but shouldn't there be more crew than the guy up top? Or do you handle pretty much everything by yourself?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:38 am

Varsk will straighten slightly and rap a knuckle on the railing in front of him before turning and making his way through the ship to find Merhiv.

Once finding him and waiting for the end of the tour Varsk will approach the dragonborn clearing his throat to not cause any unwarranted surprise. Once he has Merhiv's attention he will, in a somewhat matter of the fact tone, ask/state-

"You are Merhiv. I saw you at the meetin' last night. Raina has told me that a group was headin' to Lover's Bridge (Pass?) before movin' towards the Morley holdin's. Am I correct in assumin' that you (gesturing to the group members nearby) are that group?"

Varsk pauses for the answer.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:04 pm

"Although... I mean, I get that most of it is probably handled with magic, but shouldn't there be more crew than the guy up top? Or do you handle pretty much everything by yourself?"

Raina grins.

"Hah! Not much gets past you, does it? No, I've got a couple of crew working below decks to secure our supplies, but otherwise it's just me. That man up top isn't even on my crew, he's just another passenger heading to Lover's Pass, same as you."

She sighs and rubs the sweat off her neck with her sleeves, her grin faltering a bit. She looks tired.

"Look, I've got some work to finish up tonight in my cabin, but come and see me tomorrow once we're on our way and we'll talk. I have a favour to ask you, which would cover your debt for this trip and then some if you're able to do it... But it's a long story and it's already late."

She walks to her cabin and pauses with her hand on the door handle.

"I'm glad you decided to travel with us. We leave at dawn!"

And with that, she heads into her own quarters.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Varsk might notice that Gwen (a red headed human female) has two daggers, a quarterstaff a cross bow and a handaxe. She wears a crystal necklace and a set of traveler's clothes. He may also notice she smells slightly of alchol.

"Hello, I am Gwen ...uhhh.. Anderson. You are going to help with the reptiles then?"
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

"Eh, I was rooting 'round the Iskat long enough to make some decent guesses how it worked..." Syli shrugs at Raina's opinion of her insight. "But fair enough, we'll catch up later."

When the half-orc approaches and addresses the group, Syli turns, eyes narrowed with suspicion. "...oh? And what's it to you?" She asks, the diminutive and lean wood elf crossing her arms defensively. Her deep red hair, hazel eyes, and deeply-tan skin clad with crude leather suggested the not-entirely-unexpected natural inclinations of your typical wood elf, someone who lived in harmony with nature. But her demeanor and posture lacked the fluid grace one might expect, her defensiveness seeming urbane and... maybe almost familiar to the stranger. As if she had dealt with probing questions many times before, and saw it as a possible threat, her paranoid eyes seeming to be searching him, sizing him up.

--Insight vs. Vrask (+3): 16

((That's really more of a fluff roll than anything, unless Vrask starts lying to the party [which I don't actually think is going to happen]. Syli tends to be the paranoid one of the group, but I think her and Vrask will actually get along quite well once we get past the initial introduction))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Mehr places a hand on Syli's shoulder to ease her agitation, "We are heading that way. Do you have some business with me?"
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 pm

I walk casually around the half orc, sizing up the big fellow.

"Hi! I'm Korrik!", I pipe up, extending a hand in greeting.

((How would you describe Varsk's appearance? I'm a wiry little halfling, besides my physical descriptors on my sheet (Male, 27, 2'10", 38lb., Lightly tanned skin, Brown eyes, Dark Brown hair), I'm wearing loose but durable dark pants, a dark green silk shirt, a belt with a pouch and some darts tucked into it, and carrying a quarterstaff. I've probably set my pack down next to one of the wooden rowers. I've an easy going smile for the most part, generally cheerfully chatty.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Varsk nearly as tall as Mehriv though his shoulders are slightly stooped (in the typical orc fashion) so he looks a bit shorter. He is significantly thicker than Mehriv with powerful arms, a thick neck, wide shoulders and a bit of a belly. There is no questioning his orc heritage in his grayish complexion and the small tusks jutting from his lower jaw that seem to stretch his mouth wider. His nose his broad he has a number scars of various sizes visible in the torch light on his arms and face. His black hair is thick, though clearly receding, and hangs to the tops of his slightly pointed ears and appears to have been cut (unevenly) using a knife. He is wearing gray travel clothes without any adornment and chain mail. He has an explorer's pack, a great sword and maul strapped to his back and doesn't appear bothered by the weight. He eye color isn't apparent in the torch light but the telltale red glow of darkvision is visible on occasion. He is not smiling nor his particularly angry looking (beyond the unfortunately grimace the tusks lend his face).

Varsk will smile slightly at the small crowd that gathered and nod slightly, in vague approval, to Syli before focusing back on Mehr.

"I am Varsk and I am also goin' to the Morley holdin's to meet up with my group... should they have survived the raid. Would you be open to my travelin' with you and your employees to the Holdin's?"

Varsk glance at Gwen before looking down at Korrik and consider him a moment before leaning and briefly shaking his hand.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 am

"Though I can't say whether my companions would have their own personal grievances, I don't see reason to refuse you. Travel can be dangerous, and an extra arm is welcome."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 am

Varsk will look at the team gathered around him again and nod before offering a hand to Mehriv (mostly to signify an agreement between them)

"Good. I suspect that the road will be dangerous tomorrow. Do you know the state of the path to the Morley holdin's? I had not anticipated being left by my group and we had not intended to walk."

Varsk will look to the group members for an answer if none is forth coming he will suggest they ask Riana in the morning before turning and heading to the middeck and the largest/strongest looking of the hammocks (embarrassing to break a hammock the first time with a group) and adding over his shoulder as he walks away,

"I will see you all at dawn."

He then proceeds to take off his pack, sword and maul but sets the maul so the handle leans on the hammock by his hand. He then proceeds to try and scratch as best he can under his armor before laying down.
► Show Spoiler