Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Just a heads up: Since I saw none of you had updated your sheet yet, the default thing I've done for injuries is to set healed injuries to 1, and remove one of their current totals. Let me know if you think that should be different for some reason.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 am

Can't make a post right now, but I'm planning on tossing a pokeball at the fastest Joltik. Just to let you guys know.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 am

Here are the rolls needed for Drakes morning routine (and shards for yesterday)

Trained all but celesteela
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:23 pm

So partway through the combat update when I'd figure I'd finish it tomorrow, and posting the rest today already... But figured I'd point out one thing to Dusk in chance he wants to change his action accordingly: Taking a breather does not actually remove the trapped condition, so she won't be able to be recalled doing that.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Spider Web calls that out, actually.
Move: Spider Web
Type: Bug
Frequency: Scene x2
AC: None
Class: Status
Range: 5
Effect: Spider Web cannot miss. The target is Stuck and
Trapped. If the user is freed of the Stuck condition, they
are freed of Trapped as well.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Oh! In that case, disregard what I just said. :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 am

M0rtimer wrote:Also, does one of Koa's meals count as a digestion buff..? :P
They don't. It's just a +2 AP buff until our next extended rest. It doesn't go away at the end of a Scene like food buffs do.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am

Don't suppose anyone has a Probability Control available so I can reroll that Pokeball AC? 44 should be low enough to catch it, if I just manage to hit the damn thing... :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 am

Irene has one. I could also send Analo, but given the number of bugs around, I'll wait to see what Natrivv does first. :paranoia:

Edit: repost to note that Koa has 5 DR, so the Joltik only would've done 5 damage to him.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 am

Don't you have the xmas redoll?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 am

Using the Christmas crit on a Joltik would be an enormous waste. :roll:

Dusk used his crit in the Ultra Beast fight anyway.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:52 am

Not crit, reroll. We each had one from...uhhh from 2015.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 am

I looked back (in both threads) and we don't seem to have actually gotten anything on Christmas 2015. The Spark introduced himself, and that was it. And everyone got a Milestone in 2016. So, no re-rolls, it looks like.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am

First year we got xmas crits. Next year we got rerolls. Then we got milestones.
M0rtimer wrote:Poor Regifae. :(
Did I already use Probability Control? Can I reroll this?
No, so yes, you can reroll.

There's also the christmas reroll, if you wanna use that.
Ah hah!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:49 am

I am pretty sure all of you guys got a reroll at some point, yes. Don't ask me when that was awarded, though. :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:51 am

Ah, so Mort forgot to actually tell us what our gift was on Christmas of 2015, he just made references to it after the fact. :lol: I'll just make note of that on my sheet then.

It's still a bad idea to use right now, though, especially when we have some Probability Controls at the ready.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm

That's because Mort didn't give us a gift on 2015. The Spark did :P

But yeah, I forgot about that too. Not going to use it now though, would rather save it for a cool Pokemon or something. I don't even really want a Joltik - another Electric type could be nice, but I'm mainly just trying to get rid of a threat.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Think off all that precious dex exp, though. :shifty:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Okay, that too :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Dusk9 wrote:That's because Mort didn't give us a gift on 2015. The Spark did :P

But yeah, I forgot about that too. Not going to use it now though, would rather save it for a cool Pokemon or something. I don't even really want a Joltik - another Electric type could be nice, but I'm mainly just trying to get rid of a threat.
...OH, I had to scroll down to see it! I always miss the scroll bar on the right whenever the Spark says a bunch of stuff, that's my bad :shifty:

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Magikarp dive bombing spiders from the sky is a legit stragety... but yeah totally helping your throw out.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

So, for Fern's Type-Sync, I've come up with two different concept ideas. Both of them have their merits, but I'm struggling to decide which I like better...

Hovertank vs Gyrocopter
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
So to summarize;
- Hovertank Fern would use Spike Shot to focus on being a slow-moving, ranged tank which can blast down targets from a distance. Her main weakness would be mobility, since she wouldn't be able to really chase down enemies that run away, or escape if something gets on top of her.
- Gyrocopter Fern on the other hand, would use her moderate mobility get close to her enemies, hitting multiple targets at once with Reach. However, she'd have to put herself into the middle of a group to have the most impact, opening her up to counterattack. And she'd be a lot weaker in 1v1 match-ups too.

Mechanically I think I like the Hovertank more, because it would be a really strong ranged fighter and I've got plenty of melee hitters already. But thematically the Gryocopter works better, since it really fits the idea of a flying-Ferrothorn. And the "3 Target" aspect of the Gyrocopter concept sounds pretty cool and versatile (assuming Mort allows it).

I was just wondering if you guys might have any ideas on how to make either concept a little less...clunky? :roll:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am

Tank version: Why would she suddenly gain guns from getting the flying typing? And beak blast is a move which I don't think would fit the motif of the hardened shell pokemon at all. And Clay cannons are a signature ability of Claydol/boltoy and way more powerful than analytic

Fans: I don't understand how her having fans would grant her reach, and able to hit multiple targets like that is kinda big if it's a powerful move.

I dunno ...it just...seems a bit imbalanced.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Tank version: Why would she suddenly gain guns from getting the flying typing? And beak blast is a move which I don't think would fit the motif of the hardened shell pokemon at all. And Clay cannons are a signature ability of Claydol/boltoy and way more powerful than analytic.
1) It's not a literal gun. More....a big spike that shoots smaller spikes. I just took the Spike Shot theme and combined it with the hover theme to get the obvious outcome: a Hovergun/tank. If you want a thematic explanation, she's using wind to fire the spikes, like a big blowdart.

2) Beak Blast was just a suggestion. It fits the tank theme pretty well. It's still powerful though, which is why I suggested it as a Tutor option instead of a Natural move. And it's actually weaker than Seed Bomb in some areas, since it's just Scene x2 and not At-Will (shorter range, too).

3) Analytic is basically a permanent +5 damage on all attacks for Fern, since she's so slow. Her base initiative is 2. Clay Cannons would just be +2 range (or a limited ability to fire around corners). I'd rank them roughly equal, and that's only because of the utility Clay Cannons provides. Plus, my suggestion was for a custom variation of Clay Cannons - like how Mort made a custom Zen ability for Maku based around Darmantian's Zen Mode. Obviously it would be called something different/have a slightly different effect.
Fans: I don't understand how her having fans would grant her reach, and able to hit multiple targets like that is kinda big if it's a powerful move.
4) Fern effectively already has super-Reach, thanks to Spike Shot (8 Melee range). Giving her regular Reach (2 Melee range) would be practically nothing in comparison - if anything, I'd argue for 3 range. And it fits with the vines/whips that Ferrothorn gets (honestly, if it wasn't for Spike Shot, I'd say Ferrothorn should already have it naturally).

5) The multiple targets thing is only because just turning Spike Shot into Reach would be a straight downgrade, with no upside. There needs to be something else as well. My first idea was a damage buff on Melee moves, but I thought the multi-targets thing was kinda cool (and it fits, what with Ferrothorn having three vines). If Mort thinks it's too strong, he could limit it to weaker moves, or give it a -DB debuff for each target (i.e. -1DB for 2 targets, -2DB for 3 targets). I will say though, that even with Reach, she'd still need to be really close to lots of enemies to use it effectively. It's not like she'd be able to reliably cut down 3 enemies every turn - not without jumping right into the middle of them and exposing herself pretty badly.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I would put extra range as higher. Espessially as with a flying pokemon. They already get a giant boost for being able to attack in the air. And 5 damage is not really that much. :shrug: And mort basically traded a unique ability for a different unique ability.