Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Post by Synch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Man, we've got a lot of ranged attack! Everyone bar Spiderwrangler!

I've been looking at a beneficial bandolier, how much would it be to enchant it with Abundant Ammunition? :)
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Wait, should I be worried that everyone else is looking at fancy magic things and pretty powerful looking weapons? ...maybe I should have have gone for at least one something masterwork....I have quite a bit of coin that I didn't buy equipment with left over...otherwise I just have a nice, normal shortbow and a couple of knives.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:06 pm

I bought no powerful weapons. Just these fists.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 am

Amara
First the Naval Crossbow is a repeater...
A Naval crossbow of darkwood (required) and mithril would be allowed but have a partial increase in cost...( it is +1 already and only part of the thing is mithril)
Understanding the rules, you can fire up to whatever BAB bonus plus the rapid shot gives you but because it's built in I'd say that the -2 effect from rapid shot vanishes...(or it only takes a free action to go between loaded shots) and your rapid reload applies to how fast you can reload the magazine....(So with a BAB of say 6 and rapid shot you'd get three shots of +6/+1/+1 with a repeating device with no attacks of opportunity until you reload the damn thing...versus a single shot crossbow (actually the rules were such that the rate of fire from repeating devices such as
I suppose the single shot crossbow being heavier hitting is pretty on point anyway, since repeating crossbows typically are less powerful than their single shot counterparts in the real world.
Which is why I said that a Heavy Repeating Crossbow has to be magic...
Does a bog standard, lower damage as per PHB repeating heavy crossbow still exist then?
- I define the Heavy component as the damage done so non-magical light crossbows are available but Heavy requires magic...but you can get a Heavy magic repeater +1 without any bonus melee attack ability...

If I have a problem with the traits I will yell at you about them...

Tea
She who has lots of money has lots of money to spend...or there will be some fighting in this but a lot of investigation and puzzle solving too...I wouldn't worry too much about it...
(Also we all know that Simoom will just kill everything for you)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 am

Synch
The problem here is that you would now have three different spells on the same object that essentially turns it into the Belt of Hollywood Action Stars...you only need to reload when thematically important. :lol:
So to not have your character turn into the Imperial Version of Arnie... :shock:

I will let you have a separate item that generates magical ammo but you have to spend time between battles, or during if it is really long, transferring rounds from one to the other.
For example you can have a magic ammo box that generates up to 8 rounds of standard crystal ball and gunpowder ammo per turn for 2,400 gold (100 X price of ammo) note: that the crystal ammo will behave similarly to standard ammo the bullet just sublimates after 1d6 turns after being fired, but no change in the damage.
Last edited by Quarg on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 am

I've finished filling out my purchases, and have 433/6/2 remaining, and don't really see anything else I really want to by that is under 433 gp. In fitting with the recent backstory, if that is more money than what he would otherwise need to have sailed away, I'm fine with 400 gp of that being tied up in delayed payments, etc. That would have Arg starting with 33/6/2 gp/sp/cp as his starting money (plus payment from Mr. Val?).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

You have a determination that you are owed 400 gp from the Promoter by the Judge...
You have 60/6/2 in funds available that puts you out somewhat from money to get passage back but not enough you couldn't walk off and pay for a room board and dinner for awhile...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Quarg wrote:Amara
First the Naval Crossbow is a repeater...
A Naval crossbow of darkwood (required) and mithril would be allowed but have a partial increase in cost...( it is +1 already and only part of the thing is mithril)
Understanding the rules, you can fire up to whatever BAB bonus plus the rapid shot gives you but because it's built in I'd say that the -2 effect from rapid shot vanishes...(or it only takes a free action to go between loaded shots) and your rapid reload applies to how fast you can reload the magazine....(So with a BAB of say 6 and rapid shot you'd get three shots of +6/+1/+1 with a repeating device with no attacks of opportunity until you reload the damn thing...versus a single shot crossbow (actually the rules were such that the rate of fire from repeating devices such as
Okay. So this still doesn't answer the question I asked earlier, though. I think it got missed. Is it classed as a double weapon, and does this mean I am outright barred from getting different enchantments from the standard +1 on either component? Can I even enchant them separately? is it actually a functional double weapon? If it is, I have to pay separately for enchanting the melee portion vs the actual bow. If it isn't, I flat out cannot enchant the melee portion whatsoever and am barred from any melee-locked enchantments for the melee component.
Yes though, rapid shot per rules would let me fire as many times per turn as I have attacks provided I don't have to reload, with an additional attack at my lowest attack bonus, at the cost of a -2 to all attack rolls on a full attack action. I would not be able to do this on turns I have to reload (and would have a single shot), as reloading a heavy crossbow is typically a full round action, and is for me a move action because I have rapid reload. I also do not have rapid shot yet, nor will I get a second attack until level 8, so the issue of moving vs reloading is less "can I shoot more than once," and more "can I actually move and shoot". I'll be taking rapid shot at 7, only because it's a prerequisite for crossbow mastery, which makes all reloading a free action for crossbows, and prevents reloading from provoking attacks of opportunity.

I suppose alternately, I could look toward boots of striding and springing. The extra movement speed would definitely solve the "move or shoot" problem. If I get a light weapon I can easily draw it and attack in melee if necessary, since crossbows can be wielded one-handed at a penalty. Only thing I'm losing is fun with thematics. Alternately, the blade boot can be deployed as a swift action, and having an unexpected weapon would be nice...
Am I allowed to combine the blade boot weapon with boots of striding and springing?
Egh. It's one of those things where right now the repeating bow would be better, but in the long run, I'd be better off with a single shot bow. So it's a question of do I build for now, or later?

Quarg wrote:If I have a problem with the traits I will yell at you about them...
Alright.
I'm thinking
Spirit Sense
You are so attuned to the spiritual world that it is hard to get the jump on you. You gain a +2 trait bonus on Perception checks to avoid being surprised and to detect invisible or incorporeal creatures.
and maybe
Hardly a Fool
You have always been able to ferret out lies and deception. Maybe you worked as an investigator for a time, you came from a place rife with lies, or you've studied the human condition long enough to read a person's face and get to the heart of his message. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against illusion effects.

My way of seeing it is the man's batshit, but he has some sort of 6th sense thing going on from the vampiric blood. Or something. He was originally meant to be a Malkavian for VtM, and I still like the crazy prophet thematic.

Also
What restrictions am I looking at regarding poisons, as well? I do have craft alchemy for making them, and thematically my idea is more using the same knowledge to both heal and hurt. I mean, digitalis is used as a heart medication for example, but as a poison, it causes bradycardia, seizures, hallucinations, and delirium.

And finally, may I reflavor the sundark goggles as tinted glasses? (Since Jäger is already very nearsighted without correction, and wears glasses anyway.)
The smoked lenses of these goggles block light. They are typically fixed into a band of canvas that clasps together at the back to keep the goggles from falling off. Sundark goggles negate the dazzled condition experienced by a creature with light sensitivity while in bright illumination. As a side effect, they grant the wearer a +2 circumstance bonus on saving throws against gaze attacks. A creature wearing sundark goggles canÔÇÖt use a gaze attack, since other creatures canÔÇÖt see its eyes. Creatures without low-light vision or darkvision that wear sundark goggles take a ÔÇô2 penalty on Search and Spot checks.
Last edited by Amara on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Quarg wrote:You have a determination that you are owed 400 gp from the Promoter by the Judge...
You have 60/6/2 in funds available that puts you out somewhat from money to get passage back but not enough you couldn't walk off and pay for a room board and dinner for awhile...
Sounds good to me. I've also fixed my Martial Flexibility feats (I had pulled possible future feats and had them greyed out, but that exceeded the post charactyer limit... :roll: , so I removed them.)

Arg would be content to remain in Mr. Val's employment. The work suits his skills, and up until this time has allowed him to make some progress on saving towards eventually traveling. He may not trust that he'll ever see the 400 gp from the promoter, given his rapid departure, and would be operating under the assumption that he needs to make coin elsewhere. Working for Mr. Val is as good a job as any for a orc brawler.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Amara wrote:
Okay. So this still doesn't answer the question I asked earlier, though. I think it got missed. Is it classed as a double weapon, and does this mean I am outright barred from getting different enchantments from the standard +1 on either component?
Alright let me state this based on my re-reading of the rules. You can fight it like a Double Weapon in that you get two attacks per round. And I wasn't clear on that...
You are not barred from improving the pickaxe attribute of the weapon, The crossbow attribute is already +1, the pickaxe upgrades have to be paid for but I will likely halve them because your talking about upgrading half the weapon (Or a 50% reduction on one weapon if upgrading the other)
Can I even enchant them separately?

Yes, just don't do soemthing explosively opposite like water and electricity...which I said before
is it actually a functional double weapon? If it is, I have to pay separately for enchanting the melee portion vs the actual bow. If it isn't, I flat out cannot enchant the melee portion whatsoever and am barred from any melee-locked enchantments for the melee component.
I don't know what you mean by functional double weapon...not following your nomenclature really here.
I'm saying that the builder can enchant the crossbow stock (which is the portion that gives enhancement to the bolts) seperately from the bow which also is acting as the melee portion of the weapon and they can be attached if they don't blow the poor idiot up trying to assemble it.

Yes though, rapid shot per rules would let me fire as many times per turn as I have attacks provided I don't have to reload, with an additional attack at my lowest attack bonus, at the cost of a -2 to all attack rolls on a full attack action. I would not be able to do this on turns I have to reload (and would have a single shot), as reloading a heavy crossbow is typically a full round action, and is for me a move action because I have rapid reload. I also do not have rapid shot yet, nor will I get a second attack until level 8, so the issue of moving vs reloading is less "can I shoot more than once," and more "can I actually move and shoot". I'll be taking rapid shot at 7, only because it's a prerequisite for crossbow mastery, which makes all reloading a free action for crossbows, and prevents reloading from provoking attacks of opportunity.
Alright Folks since we have an obvious nomenclature problem here and I'm begining to think Pathfinder is broken on repeating weapons...or at least unclear, let's just define a few terms here and use them from now on.
Rearm - The process of placing a new round/bolt/etc into firing in a repeating weapon
Reload - Adding rounds to the magazine, chambers, etc that were not in the device.

So in all cases rearming should be a free action. For a true repeating weapon any rearming activity should be semi-mindless so you can move or do something else fairly quickly.
(And I am seriously considering lowering the detriment of second shots after rearming....I know why Pathfinder did it...to make repeating weapons no more powerful than the characters that owned them but really it is about time translation...)

Reloading of the magazines depends on the weapon and the player as some have complex reloading (like peperboxes) while others are fairly quick and straitforward.

So you can move and fire without any problem until you get to the end of your five shots...

Really I was trying to give you sensible integrated double weapon...though I have so many shooters I'm meeting all the problems pathfinder has with them...or I have with their restraints on repeating weapons that are apparently done more for 'thematics' than for mechanic advantages... >:?
Am I allowed to combine the blade boot weapon with boots of striding and springing?
I would prefer if we just replace the boots of striding and springing with some nice equivalent item in a different slot at the same price.
Egh. It's one of those things where right now the repeating bow would be better, but in the long run, I'd be better off with a single shot bow. So it's a question of do I build for now, or later?
Have you come to the same conclusion as I that a repeating weapon offers you really nothing in Pathfinder than being able to move between shots as long as you have some shots left in the magazine? And is that really what your trying to ensure you can do? Move and fire with the ability to Melee easily if you half to?
Spirit Sense
You are so attuned to the spiritual world that it is hard to get the jump on you. You gain a +2 trait bonus on Perception checks to avoid being surprised and to detect invisible or incorporeal creatures.
and maybe
Hardly a Fool
You have always been able to ferret out lies and deception. Maybe you worked as an investigator for a time, you came from a place rife with lies, or you've studied the human condition long enough to read a person's face and get to the heart of his message. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against illusion effects.

My way of seeing it is the man's batshit, but he has some sort of 6th sense thing going on from the vampiric blood. Or something. He was originally meant to be a Malkavian for VtM, and I still like the crazy prophet thematic.
That was more intended for put them up, I'll say something if need be.
Actually, those work but I have a suggestion on something to the background that popped in my head when I read them...
► Show Spoiler
Also
What restrictions am I looking at regarding poisons, as well? I do have craft alchemy for making them, and thematically my idea is more using the same knowledge to both heal and hurt. I mean, digitalis is used as a heart medication for example, but as a poison, it causes bradycardia, seizures, hallucinations, and delirium.
I say that they are separate skills to a point. Doctors tend to be focused on figuring out what medicine to apply, not the process of making them. But I will allow ranks in medical profession act as a bonus for alchemist crafting ability for medicinal related materials if you have either a rank in alchemist or craft alchemy.
And finally, may I reflavor the sundark goggles as tinted glasses? (Since Jäger is already very nearsighted without correction, and wears glasses anyway.)
The smoked lenses of these goggles block light. They are typically fixed into a band of canvas that clasps together at the back to keep the goggles from falling off. Sundark goggles negate the dazzled condition experienced by a creature with light sensitivity while in bright illumination. As a side effect, they grant the wearer a +2 circumstance bonus on saving throws against gaze attacks. A creature wearing sundark goggles canÔÇÖt use a gaze attack, since other creatures canÔÇÖt see its eyes. Creatures without low-light vision or darkvision that wear sundark goggles take a ÔÇô2 penalty on Search and Spot checks.
Yes, but they have to have side shields...

So he's going to have two pairs of glasses one for light and one for dark?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:41 pm

You know how some places uses stamps or bracelets as passes? Well. I am going to do that with Arcane Mark for the opera. And totally not do grafiti/arcane mark art no matter how muc the town needs it.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Quarg wrote: Alright let me state this based on my re-reading of the rules. You can fight it like a Double Weapon in that you get two attacks per round. And I wasn't clear on that...
You are not barred from improving the pickaxe attribute of the weapon, The crossbow attribute is already +1, the pickaxe upgrades have to be paid for but I will likely halve them because your talking about upgrading half the weapon (Or a 50% reduction on one weapon if upgrading the other)
I don't know what you mean by functional double weapon...not following your nomenclature really here.
I'm saying that the builder can enchant the crossbow stock (which is the portion that gives enhancement to the bolts) seperately from the bow which also is acting as the melee portion of the weapon and they can be attached if they don't blow the poor idiot up trying to assemble it.
Just if it functions as one for rules sake, since it's then a quick/easy matter of going "oh ok, it works like that," and I don't have to keep asking questions for special ruling.
Quarg wrote:Alright Folks since we have an obvious nomenclature problem here and I'm beginning to think Pathfinder is broken on repeating weapons...or at least unclear, let's just define a few terms here and use them from now on. [/i][/b]
Rearm - The process of placing a new round/bolt/etc into firing in a repeating weapon
Reload - Adding rounds to the magazine, chambers, etc that were not in the device.

So in all cases rearming should be a free action. For a true repeating weapon any rearming activity should be semi-mindless so you can move or do something else fairly quickly.
(And I am seriously considering lowering the detriment of second shots after rearming....I know why Pathfinder did it...to make repeating weapons no more powerful than the characters that owned them but really it is about time translation...)

Reloading of the magazines depends on the weapon and the player as some have complex reloading (like peperboxes) while others are fairly quick and straitforward.

So you can move and fire without any problem until you get to the end of your five shots...

Really I was trying to give you sensible integrated double weapon...though I have so many shooters I'm meeting all the problems pathfinder has with them...or I have with their restraints on repeating weapons that are apparently done more for 'thematics' than for mechanic advantages... >:?
Well, strictly speaking, crossbows in general have always been massively weaker than bows in D&D. Though as far as weaknesses go, the reload penalty is hardly thematic vs realistic... Less advanced crossbows take a bit of effort and time to reset, even with a winch or lever to help you.
Pathfinder continued 3e's tradition, since all of the rules for basic weapons were copied verbatim from 3e/3.5. Repeating crossbows are actually considered exotic (and I believe still are in Pathfinder), so you need a feat to even be able to use them ordinarily...but Inquisitors get all crossbows. When anyone capable of using a bow is able to fire as many times per turn as they have attacks. Period. Additionally, rapid shot is not a crossbow specialized feat; it applies to all ranged attacks. However, the only crossbow users that can make use of it are those using a repeating crossbow, without crossbow mastery (which you need to be effective by midgame as a crossbow user, at all, and which has 3 prerequisite feats.) And that's before you get in to multishot and so forth with straight bows... Crossbows have higher range increments, crit, and base damage, but bows can fire faster, are more mobile (no reload penalties,) and can apply base strength per shot in addition to being enchanted.
It's kinda been that way since 3e.

Terms I was using were just for rules sake. Reloading, as it is termed mechanically, is simply the act of shoving ammo in to the weapon and getting it ready to fire. All of the actions that are a part of that are included in whatever action it is.
By default, for example, a heavy crossbow is a full round action to reload and rearm. Even if something technically should be worded differently, I default to however the rules word things, as it is by far less confusing for all involved.
I would prefer if we just replace the boots of striding and springing with some nice equivalent item in a different slot at the same price.
Well I mean, the "blade boot" is sold as a weapon, technically speaking. It doesn't occupy a magic item slot even if I enchant it (because it's a weapon,) and I'd rather not lose an entire slot over the ability to have a hidden weapon. I can just as easily have hidden pockets sewn in to a garment and hide small knives. ...they just can't be deployed as a free action.
Have you come to the same conclusion as I that a repeating weapon offers you really nothing in Pathfinder than being able to move between shots as long as you have some shots left in the magazine? And is that really what your trying to ensure you can do? Move and fire with the ability to Melee easily if you half to?
I've played Pathfinder for a long while, 3e/.5 before that, and AD&D2e before that. I've kind of just resolved myself to the fact that crossbows are always going to be screwed in to near uselessness comparatively without finagling, and if I want one over a bow thematically, I just get to live with that.
That was more intended for put them up, I'll say something if need be.
Actually, those work but I have a suggestion on something to the background that popped in my head when I read them...
► Show Spoiler
I like the idea of him having a bit of supernatural 'oomph' that's easy enough to trait up and more flavorful than powerful.
► Show Spoiler
I say that they are separate skills to a point. Doctors tend to be focused on figuring out what medicine to apply, not the process of making them. But I will allow ranks in medical profession act as a bonus for alchemist crafting ability for medicinal related materials if you have either a rank in alchemist or craft alchemy.
Well, torture does use the heal skill. :b
Making the poisons is a craft: alchemy check (a skill I have also taken, as I said,) and heal will be maxed regardless, as a doctor.
It's more logic along the lines of... if I know how to recognize the symptoms of a poison and toxin (in order to treat it,) then certainly I would know what that poison or toxin does on its own, would I not? So I will probably have a fair few poisons on me to use, just on a thematic basis. Of course, by that same logic, I would also know the most vulnerable parts of the body to strike.
...and I suppose that does make a fair amount of sense as a crossbow user.
Yes, but they have to have side shields...

So he's going to have two pairs of glasses one for light and one for dark?
I'm fine with that, and in their design, they already did, anyway.
I...suppose I could give him two pair? No one would likely even find it odd... There's all sorts of vision difficulties that can be corrected via tinted lenses to begin with, and lots of people have two pairs of glasses depending on what they're doing.

Oh... just checked. My mistake. I thought the sundark goggles had been converted. They weren't. There's... nothing in Pathfinder to help with light sensitivity. (yet kobolds are still playable, and the sundark goggles were an item for kobolds so that they could function on the surface.) Hm. Well, they're from Races of the Dragon, anyway. Page 123. Apparently they're a DC15 Craft:alchemy check to craft, and cost 10gp. By raw mechanics they don't cause sight penalties if you have dark vision or low light vision at all (which Jäger has both.)
Well, if 10g sounds fair, I would still like them, or some sort of sun protection.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I was able to sell off my orc's light sensitivity, but that doesn't help you. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:07 pm

So I think we are on the same page for repeating crossbows...
And yeah then treat the Naval Crossbow as a functional double weapon, but ignore the penalty for not having fight with two hands feat...mechanically the nasty end is all at one end of it...

That seems a bit low value for something that effectively wipes off a detriment to low light creatures such as yours.

I'm going to say normal glasses cost 10gp, those fancy ones cost 100gp...
Well I mean, the "blade boot" is sold as a weapon, technically speaking. It doesn't occupy a magic item slot even if I enchant it (because it's a weapon,) and I'd rather not lose an entire slot over the ability to have a hidden weapon. I can just as easily have hidden pockets sewn in to a garment and hide small knives. ...they just can't be deployed as a free action
My apologies hit the sumbit button instead of the editor button...

Alright if it is sold as a weapon, then I will let you enhance it but if you would do me a favor and link the damn SRD link for it please...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I was able to sell off my orc's light sensitivity, but that doesn't help you. ;)
To a point...no one should hire your orc as a damn lookout...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Or let him borrow any ranged weapons. He'd put someone's eye out.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Or let him borrow any ranged weapons. He'd put someone's eye out.
Even possibly his own...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:57 pm

The blade boot is here, and is listed as a martial weapon. It costs 25 GP, does 1d4 damage with a x2 critical and deals piercing damage.
So it's quite literally a dagger hidden in a boot. (Though daggers themselves are simple light weapons.)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Yeah, but how does boots of striding help you fire and move using a single shot weapon?
(or do you really want the 10ft of movement or the extra agility?)

I am missing something here and be patient, I grew up on GURPS myself

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Oh, I'm wanting the extra 10 feet of movement.
If I'm not able to move every turn, it's better if I get 40 feet of movement to reposition when I can.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:02 am

Yeah, so +1 blade boots upgraded to give you an extra 10 feet of movement and say +1 Dex would work....
(I just don't know about burning half your budget for an extra 10 feet and that acrobatic benifit seems to drive towards a +2 weapon which should then be 8,000)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:44 am

I'd really rather just have the magic item slot filled, and a separate weapon. Despite the weird naming on the item, as far as I can tell it's functionally identical to the hidden boot blade from 3.5, and is essentially just a spring-loaded dagger you can hide in your footwear.

It'd be rather useless to do more to the blade than to have it masterwork. It's explicitly an offhand weapon in the rules writeup for it, and will always be under an attack penalty whenever I use it. It's meant as a "surprise" weapon.
Also, a +1 ability item is rather functionally useless, and there's a reason why stat boosting items are in increments of 2. (My dex is an even number to begin with, and it would offer me literally no benefit.) (Also, ability boosting items are usually belts, in the same manner movement enhancing items are boots.) The +5 to acrobatics is far more useful, as that effects jump height and length, and it being on a proper magic item requiring a slot, rather than a weapon is also far more useful, as weapons typically don't give their bonuses when you aren't wielding them.
► Show Spoiler
Otherwise, I'm probably not steering for more than a +1 crossbow at present; I can always enchant it more later, and enchantment costs scale faster on weapons than anything else. I can't really afford to do more and actually still have a budget for needed items. The cheapest armor I can really go for is a +1 mithral chain shirt (2100 base cost) for a +5 to AC without ACP. It won't boost my AC very high, but 17 is better than nothing, and paying 3k more for only +1 more AC doesn't feel worth it at this stage, haha. Hence my feeling I'm better off having a higher base mobility so I can just not get hit. The +5 to jump checks will help with getting better vantage points, too. Alternately if budget did not allow, I'd swap to the cheaper Boots of Elvenkind, which while not giving +10 to movespeed, give a +5 acrobatics check that isn't jump-locked.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 pm

All, I am starting the game this evening as it seems everyone is just working out the last details...

Amara
I'm of two minds on this...
So...It's not an off hand weapon, it is a foot weapon.

I will allow the merging of the two however the magic becomes inactive when the weapon is deployed.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Quarg, having a few dilemmas with my items and my build.

I initially was going to have a single pistol and then focus on things like Rapid shot, Precise Shot, Trick Shooter etc. After doing a bit of research, it seems like most people recommend a dual wield build for a pistolero, like this, and then a shooting strategy utilising Quick Draw, Rapid Reload and weapon cords to do this:

Round One

1. draw ONE pistol in right hand as a free action
2. fire right pistol as main-hand
3. reload with left hand which is free
(repeat 2. & 3. until all main-hand attacks depleted)
4. as a free action drop pistol in right hand
5. as a free action draw left pistol
6. fire left pistol
7. reload with right hand which is now free
(repeat 6. & 7. until all off-hand attacks depleted)

Even Rounds

1. fire left pistol (it's still in your hand) as main-hand
2. reload with right hand which is free
(repeat steps 1. & 2. until all main-hand attacks depleted)
3. as a free action drop pistol in left hand
4. as a swift action recover pistol hanging from weapon cord on right hand
5. fire right pistol as off-hand
6. reload with left hand which is now free
(repeat 5. & 6. until all off-hand attacks depleted)

Odd Rounds After Round One

1. fire right pistol (still in hand) as main-hand
2. reload with left hand which is free
(repeat 1. & 2. until all main-hand attacks used)
3. as a free action drop pistol in right hand
4. as a swift action recover the left hand pistol
5. fire left pistol as off-hand
6. reload with right hand which is now free
(repeat 5. & 6. as necessary)

But is too overpowered for you? Would you prefer if I stuck to one pistol rather than this dual-wield build?

Also, I'm trying to work out how they are reloading as a free action. Is it because reloading = standard action, + Rapid Reload = move action, + alchemical cartridges = free action? And then use swift action to recover weapons using weapon cords?

With the Matthias Breech pistol, how many cartridges can I have in there? Am I right in assuming I can load (as a free action) as many as I have attacks? I'm probably only going to be able to afford one, so the off-hand weapon would be a standard pistol.
And shouldn't the reload time be a move action rather than a standard, because its essentially an alchemical cartridge (gunpowder and bullet)?

This is a complicated build!
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Update: Found this Endless Bandolier which should negate the need for weapon cords, meaning quick draw as a free action and then put gun away in bandolier pocket, then "retrieve a stored item" action to pull it out after reloading. Or does it take an action other than a free action to put a gun away, other than dropping it?
► Show Spoiler