Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Children of Ash

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:51 pm

(OOC: slight edit to my first post following input from Synch, allowing me to join in a bit earlier)

Honey completed her last preparations while listening intently to the goings-on outside her door, catching snippets of names and plans and cusses. She unplugged the entirely-unused and alien devices (TV/DVD) they had left in her room, testing the cables with a gentle pull and deciding they were functional enough; she sawed the plugs off and tied the resulting cable lengths into the knots top-and-bottom on her pillowcase, forming crude straps.

Crossing the room and pressing her ear against the door in time to hear the two men leave and the others start to introduce themselves, she wrinkled her nose, shunted her bed away from the door, slung her pillowcase-backpack over her shoulders, palmed her flat little blades, took a deep breath and stepped out into the corridor.

"Are all the guards gone?" she asked from her doorway, looking down the hall at the group gathered there.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:01 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Perfectly content to let Jacob deal with the broad and her hysterics, Jimmy waits, then heads down the hallway. Heh... chicks.

((In character, but typing that still made me feel kind of icky. :ktongue: ))
Considering the magnitude of hysterics, I feel such mentality is justifiable. No need to feel icky.
thinkslogically wrote:"Fuck."
As they walk off out of earshot Jacob whispers to Jimmy, "That bitch is crazy!" before becoming fully focused on whatever they may face ahead.

(And I said that without reservation about it. Granted I normally would but in this situation... not so much)
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:20 pm

nikohl wrote:"Are all the guards gone?"
"Yeah, looks like it. Were you a prisoner here too? I'm Jani. I thought this was NutriCorp quarantine, but ... well, now I don't know."
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:33 pm

"I guess prisoner, yeah. They says patient, like they's look to doctorin' me, but ain't never been sick a day in m'life. Name's Honey, if'n we're doin' introductions. Thinket ain't time for long how-d'ya-do's though, things bein' what they are." She shifts on her heels and looks up and down the corridor, trying to get a sense of her bearings.

"White-coats prob'ly got a supply room, maybe in a cellar. Fancy cold storage ain't worth nut without thet ee-lec-tricity... gonna go find their food 'fore it spoil." She picks a direction and strides away, having said her piece.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:37 pm

"Hey, hold on a second. Don't you think we should stick together?"

Jani is more than a little curious about this new girl, but still has no idea what the hell she's supposed to be doing. At this point, now the others have left, she's more inclined to tag along with anyone who seems like they have a plan...

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 pm

"Sure'n walk with me, if ya like. Gon' be lots to carry, all goes well. Y'look strong enough."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:54 pm

"Um... Sure, I can help with that."

Turning to Joshua and Rosalyn:

"Are you coming too? We've got to be better off in a group, right?"

Jani will head off with Honey and whoever else is tagging along. With a bit of luck they'll at least find some more clues as to what the hell is going on...

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm

"I... guess I'll come. Do you have an idea were they put the stuff we got here with? I want my backpack."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Alaen wrote:"I... guess I'll come. Do you have an idea were they put the stuff we got here with? I want my backpack."
"No idea, sorry. With a bit of luck maybe it'll turn up in a storeroom... With a bunker and a whole load of survivors who can explain this mess."

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:35 pm

"Yes, I'm coming along, too." She states quickly, trying to keep her voice from cracking.

Roslyn shakes her head, trying to stay calm and focused. So little happened for so long...and now so much is happening SO fast.

"I was...no. I am a nurse. But yes, you are right. We don't have time to stand around. Those crazed raiders could come back any time. We need to figure out what is happening and also to collect some supplies."

She looks down the halls, trying to remember what she knows from the parts of the complex she has seen.

Out loud, but mainly for herself, she states what she wants to find for supplies, "First aid, pain killers and antibiotics, flashlight and batteries, some food, water. We need to think long term if we are going to holed up somewhere for a while, to stay safe."

Her actions for this turn would be looting for items in that order.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 pm

*Clonk*

The sound woke me up. I didnt really care that the door locks had finally given out to the loss of power. Why should it? My whole world was gone now and who gave a flying f*ck. Kris was likely dead

"Never trust in fr*ken miracles Paul" I said to myself as I lay alone in my damn white cell.

It was a miracle that both Kris and I found to have immunity to the disease. Likely a combination of genes and the rather odd collection of immunizations we had both had over the past nine years. I had hauled Kris to more foreign locals than I likely could even remember, with batteries of shots and almost dead viruses thrown into our bodies to make us immune to whatever horrid diseases were about the next shoot. Who knew our...no my...almost vagabond, world trotting career would allow us to survive the worst collapse of humanity.

That miracle had prevented me from suffering the fate of almost every other living parent on the planet, watching my child die horribly before me. And I thought things were turning around after the USN Mercy had picked us up. But so many of the men and woman aboard had come to San Deigo find love ones, to find out they were now dead, with only me and mine as the survivors. Well things got tense. The whole military order aboard the Mercy collapsed as Rear Admiral Naki dropped herself into the bottom of a bottle of scotch and never came back out; both of her daughters had survived the disease but not the Mexican raiding parties.

A week later, I had wrangled in with a group of marines taking a GlobeMaster to somewhere near Door County Wisconsin to try and hold out there rather than continue to struggle against the massive raiding parties from the south that were sweeping across the border.

We didnt make it actually. I remember now, we apparently flew into a stormobviously without air traffic controllers or a damn weather bureau to warn us about it we flew in fat and happy. Some of the cargo started coming loose as that plane bucked like a damn bronco. I tried to help the cargo master, but something came loose and then darkness.

I woke up in this damn place. A bandage on my head, feeling like the whole damn Globemaster had landed on me. I was informed I was being treated by that annoying Wolcott woman, a prisoner of her machinations and minions.

Doctor Wolcott wouldnt tell me if my daughter was living or dead; obviously trying to keep her precious new specimen alive and healthy. Not wanting to distress me about Kris being deador maybe wanting me in the dark to allow her to keep Kriss body on ice for however long she needs it.
How many times had I stood over some bit actress in gaudy white paint talking about some fake death and trying to be fake sympathetic to some other actor and actress playing grieving parents or siblings or lovers?

I bet somewhere in this government hell hole is KrisÔÇÖs poor body.

I rise and open the drawer in the desk. What I was wearing when the plane cashed is laying there; A copy of a WWI British trench coat my Ex gave me and my khaki service uniform. I remember Kriss comment,Dad, most actors these days dont run around in the Navy Reservewhich I guess says that you are not most actors.

I will go find my daughter

I will go bury my daughter in this trench coat with my epaulets on itthe symbol that made me different from all those Hollywood types as she called them

Then I will watch this world finally die in the hell it has fallen into

I will not bury my daughter wearing a prisoners uniformno matter what that twit Wolcott said

I change quickly back into my uniform. I remove my service badge, birds, and grape cluster; stuffing them in a pocket of the trench coat.

I find myself striding out of my former cell and almost smack someone down with the door as it swings into their path. Apparently some of the other inmates of the facility are now sneaking about. I just nod at them and turn to look up and down the hall wondering where Wolcotts lab and her refrigerated sample storage are from here
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 pm

ooc:...wow activeness while I slept.

Seeing the two people who were at least asking him if he was alright about to leave and the red head he had seen before on his minor escape. He finally blurts out a quiet ."Wait"
There must be other people out there still, like us. Fuck it, maybe there are still other people in here! But the only way we'll survive is by sticking together. ... Please."
"If you think people are still here we should find....Dr Wilcott maybe she is still alive and can help us like she did before the demon people came"

He most likely follows the women over Joshua, but tries to keep up if they move on, but he would like to check Dr Wilcotts known locations to him.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:14 am

Honey barks out a laugh as Roslyn starts listing necessities. Not a cruel laugh, and not mocking. Just a genuine reaction to something she sees as basically backwards. "If stayin' alive an' healthy is whatchall are intendin', miss, and y'want everyone here t'live for more'n a couple days, put water at the top'a that list, not the bottom."

She pauses as the child speaks, then shakes her head, not intending to upset him too much with talks of death, but not inclined to coddle him with an outright lie. "If thet nice lady what gave us food an' water is still aroun', young man, she hidin'. She got a can o' beans in her hand an' she sit all quiet behin' a lock door, hope we don't come knockin in no bad mood, rememberin' she the one who stick a needle in us all this past. Maybe we give her a little space an' a little time, huh? Let her see we ain't mad."

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:34 am

Honey barks out a laugh as Roslyn starts listing necessities. Not a cruel laugh, and not mocking. Just a genuine reaction to something she sees as basically backwards. "If stayin' alive an' healthy is whatchall are intendin', miss, and y'want everyone here t'live for more'n a couple days, put water at the top'a that list, not the bottom."
Roslyn's green eyes spark in a bit of anger for a split second as the women laughs at her, but it only lasts that one second. Roslyn's reaction at being laughed instead turns into a wry smile for also just a short time. With everything that is going on, she has no time to be petty or thin skinned about her feelings being hurt.

Well, Honey, from what little Dr Wolcott told me of recent events, while we were stuck in here, yeah, the world has gone to shit. I still can't believe they have killed the president. And we've seen first hand the raiding parties...well, some people can be inhuman. But we've only been here a few months. Not everything could have collapsed that quickly. Even if nearly everyone has died from the plague, there must still be huge stockpiles of food and water available. Yeah, the power did go out here, but its not like the water and wells are just gonna stop working just like that. Right?? She sounded confident with what she was saying. Right up until the last few words where she began to doubt herself just as she stated the words.

A shiver runs through her body as she lets worry set in about how bad the world might have just turned since she had been stuck in here. She clears her throat, resets her resolve, and quickly walks to catch up to Joshua, . While keeping close to the man, she keeps looking about for the items on her list. She will try to stay near the man (old habits die hard, she is used to men protecting her), hoping for some sense of protection from the unknown.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:50 am

Well, Honey, from what little Dr Wolcott told me of recent events, while we were stuck in here, yeah, the world has gone to shit. I still can't believe they have killed the president. And we've seen first hand the raiding parties...well, some people can be inhuman. But we've only been here a few months. Not everything could have collapsed that quickly. Even if nearly everyone has died from the plague, there must still be huge stockpiles of food and water available. Yeah, the power did go out here, but its not like the water and wells are just gonna stop working just like that. Right??

Jani gives a weak smile and tries not to think too hard about the ramifications of "nearly everyone being dead". One step at a time.

"You might be right... but we'll need to be careful we don't poison ourselves. Let's stick to bottled water and canned foods only for now until we can get out of here. The last thing we need is a round of food poisoning..."

As Paul's door slams open, Jani jumps in surprise.

"Shit... You scared me... Are you ok?"

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 am

thinkslogically wrote:"You might be right... but we'll need to be careful we don't poison ourselves. Let's stick to bottled water and canned foods only for now until we can get out of here. The last thing we need is a round of food poisoning..."
"I had a water filter and some other useful knick-nacks in my pack when I got here, might be useful to find our old stuff. But yeah, water and food is a priority. We can worry about medicine when we need it."

As Pauls door slams open, Joshua just stands there dumbfounded for a moment.

"Paul Robinson?!" The situation was surreal. The last thing he expected was to meet a celebrity here.

((I'm assuming that Paul is famous enough to be easily recognized.))

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 am

"Yer right an' all, miss, gon' be plenty things to be had and water falls fresh out the sky if ya wait long enough... But I ain't count nothin as mine what I don't hold in these hands, nor count on gettin' nothin I ain't got a sure plan to get...so I'd feel mighty happier with water, food and a gun to call m'own before the day ends. And lots more besides."

Honey starts when Paul emerges, just like Jani does. She steps back and glances towards the end of the corridor while the others talk to the unfamiliar man in the military dress. "He a guard? Y'all know him?"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 am

As I walked out, a woman in one of standard prisoner uniforms accosted me...

"Shit... You scared me... Are you ok?"

I stood there staring at her for a moment..."Sorry about that, I...I'm just focused on a difficult task and sort of slammed into the door there..."

Then a young man accosted me

"Paul Robinson?!"

I dreaded that now, being a celebrity.
I looked at him, the guy was likely barely out of college, not a TMZ reporter...
I gave them my best smile I could muster....held out my hand and said,

"You win the prize...glad to meet you?"

I noticed that a second woman was looking concern about me and whispered "Do you know him?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:08 am

Quarg wrote:I gave them my best smile I could muster....held out my hand and said,

"You win the prize...glad to meet you?"
Joshua looked at Paul's outstretched hand with an expression bordering on panic. He couldn't just shake hands with frickin Paul Robinson.
Realizing that he was looking like an idiot he tried to say something,but only manged to stammer nervously.

"Uhm, uh l-likewise. Joshua, Joshua Taylor. I, uh, I bet you hear that all the time, but I'm a really big fan of yours."

"Great first impression", he thought sarcastically. Now everyone would think he was an idiot.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:43 am

"Uhm, uh l-likewise. Joshua, Joshua Taylor. I, uh, I bet you hear that all the time, but I'm a really big fan of yours."

The kid stammered it out like he had just taken a blow to the head...Fame Punch is what Kris called it....I didn't want to go down those memories right now...

It is always nice to meet a friendly face Joshua, especially these days...

Well I didn't use the trope 'always nice to meet a fan' line this time, you'd be proud of me Kris...

I turned slightly to address the two women without turning much away from Joshua. Expand the conversational circle as a director would say.

"And these lovely ladies are?" Some part of my brain was warning me about the red head...I'd seen a lot of similar skittishness the last few days of North Island...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:40 am

"Jani. I'm a research botanist. ...I'm sorry, this is embarrassing, but I don't recognise you at all. It's been a while since I've really kept up with TV or music or anything though."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 am

Happy to have successfully been ignored in favour of the more talkative and pretty females present by the new arrival, Honey turns to assess their surroundings once more, attempting to get a sense of the layout and where the more menial quarters such as kitchen and storage might be from her new vantage point down the other end of the corridor. She thumbs the edge of the tin can blade as it lies flat in her left palm, testing the metal with an almost meditative set of gentle flicks.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 pm

"Jani. I'm a research botanist. ...I'm sorry, this is embarrassing, but I don't recognize you at all. It's been a while since I've really kept up with TV or music or anything though."

I never understood why people apologized for not recognizing me...apparently actor's egos were a fragile thing or something. Kris commenting about over inflated balloon egos congregating at the Oscars came back to me...

"Well, I don't see why...I don't go around reading research botany papers...Jani..."

I noted that the other female was looking down the hallway. "Er...does anyone know where I might find the laboratory or office spaces?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm

"Nup, still lookin' round...ain't been outta this here hall yet. Letcha know if'n I see anythin' like that though." Honey offered a noncommittal response when Paul looked at her and spoke, remaining physically distant from the man as well as socially. She was completely unaware of his celebrity status for one thing, but mostly unnerved by his uniform that differed so greatly from their plain white scrubs. He came from a cell like theirs, but he didn't look the same...

He looked like an authority figure, someone not to be trusted. Well, she didn't trust any of these people, but she had no innate sense of immediate threat from any of them either. Two women who were far from calm - essentially handling it but not proactive - a child looking for a mother-figure, and a man who had seemed steady enough but had rapidly gone down in her estimations when he got all flustered at the sight of the new arrival. Hardly a terrifying bunch. But Paul's uniform had put him on her radar, and not in a good way. She flicked the jagged edge of the blade again, rocking on the balls of her feet. "Should keep movin'..."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I saw her rocking on the balls of her feet. I might not be the most aware man on the planet when it came to females, but I'd been around enough movie fights. The southern bean pole was on edge.
Normally I would just back away and let her be herself but turning my back on her...well really I only had one mission left didn't I...

I sighed, "Well here was for hoping...are you going to attack me when my back is turned miss or can I be on my way?" all the false humor in my voice had vanished. I really didn't have strength for this...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr