Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Children of Ash

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:51 pm

"Y'ain't done nut to warrant such a thing, so far'n I know, mister... iffet stay that way, we can deal fair, and I won't trouble y'none. I find yer labor-a-tories when I'm wanderin here, I'll letcha know. Unless yer walkin' our way, that is...?" She watched him with her chin raised, assessing his reaction - apparently his bluntness was either respected or appreciated or both.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:32 pm

"Y'ain't done nut to warrant such a thing, so far'n I know, mister... iffet stay that way, we can deal fair, and I won't trouble y'none. I find yer labor-a-tories when I'm wanderin here, I'll letcha know. Unless yer walkin' our way, that is...?"

Well that was refreshingly honest. I decided the girl likely was just on edge and not out to kill me for some slight...like the whole punching Robert Patterson incident...
"I have no intentions or inclinations to such miss...So we will deal fair with each other.... I'm thinking my first stop should be the security desk or someplace similar where I can find a facility diagram...which way are you all headed..?"

Paul looks up and down the hall, looking for some sign of where a physical security presence may have been established to keep an eye on the prisoners, like a control box, a mirror on the ceiling, etc...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

"Y'all are like to do better with a diagram'n I am, I never had no head for maps. We headin' to find cold storage, 'cos the genny's out... Anytin' frozen gonna be ruint soon if we don't see to it. I ain't lookin' to hole up here, but lettin' our only source'a food spoil's a mistake. So we gon' find it, find any other supplies secondary, take stock...maybe talk up some more plans while we work." She nods to herself, having said it aloud again it still made good sense.

"Some others gone thataway few minutes back, too, 'fore I came out my room. Hey, Whatcha reckon chances is they got a room where the guards coulda kept'em guns safe, or y'think the maskers took all that when they came through? Heard 'nuff gunblast I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't no ammo nohow, mind."

She looked down at the young boy still by them all while she was talking about gunfire, frowned, and looked back up at Paul. "This young man heah gon' help us find this freezer. He lookin' to know about thet doctor lady, though, so if her room's on yer map when ya find it, take a look by an' tell me?"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:14 pm

I realized the woman was actually sounding quite intelligent though not well experienced in military protocol,
"If this facility met specs then yes there should be an armory behind an armored door off the main security office. The question is if the guards kept it locked at all times following procedure, or kept it open cause it was a hassle to keep opening and closing it?..because otherwise those guns and ammo are damn well gone care of those mad max raiders that got Wilcott."
I replied.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Honey frowned harder when he waded directly into talking about the clearly dead or taken doctor, pointing at the top of Peter's head. "Well, you can go LOOK out there while we go find the FREEZER over here...where there ain't gon' be no poor dumb kid stumbing into no gutted dead guy...jackass"

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Mr Green, Jimmy, Jacob

Mr Green creates a makeshift rucksack, grabbing his trusty lockpicks from their secretly stored location at the back of the dresser and the bottle of water and two cans of food he had left over before he heads into the corridor.

Jimmy takes care to put on his club rings. Solid silver, very chunky, stamped with his club insignia; they meant a lot to him as one of his last connections to a world long gone, and he was thankful the staff here had let him keep them on him. He too makes a crude rucksack from his pillowcase which he loads with the bottle of water and can of food he has remaining, as well as a makeshift garrote and shiv.
► Show Spoiler
Jacob decides that a crude rucksack is the way to go also, containing two bottles of water, one can of food and his collection of carabiners. He uses a different one on every momentous climb, then has it engraved with the name of the climb and the date as a momento, so as well as being extremely useful for a variety of purposes, they are also of sentimental value.

As the men cautiously head off out of the corridor after introductions, they do a slow sweep of the center but find no hostiles. The raiders have done a real number on this place. Bodies lying where they fell have been stripped of boots and weaponry. You come across Dr Wilcott's corpse in the staff cafetaria and decide it may be better to shield the women from that scene. Sweeping systematically through the rooms of the center (exercise compound, kitchen, cafeteria, first aid room, laboratory, reception, armory, storage area, staff sleeping quarters) it is clear that very little salvageable items remain; the majority having either been looted or vandalised. Lockers emptied and tipped over, windows smashed, laboratory equipment destroyed, mattresses and furniture set on fire etc. It appears the sprinklers had been set off in some rooms as a result of the damp piles of ash where fires were lit. Presumably the raiders didn't want anything left for anyone else, regardless of how useful it was. Scrawled on the side of the reception room in blood from the body of one of the guards are the words "The Pack was here!"
In saying that though, your thorough rummaging has turned up a few items of use which you pile between yourselves in the reception area. These include:
  • A baseball bat and glove
  • A scalpel
  • A first aid kit (The painkillers are gone)
  • 4 bottles of water
  • 2 cans of food
  • A handgun magazine containing 10 bullets
  • A coffee mug
  • A thermos flask
  • A signal flare, emergency blanket and hi-vis vest in an emergency kit.
  • A box of surgical gloves
  • A pair of sunglasses
  • Four wristwatches on guards or scientists (The time is 9:15am)
  • $97.23 in notes and coins
  • A torch (has batteries, working condition)
  • Two 5lb dumbbells from the exercise compound
  • A bottle of shower wash and a bottle of shampoo
  • A large kitchen knife
  • A Vault Boy bobblehead
  • 3 rutabagas (raiders mustn't like rutabagas)
  • A calculator
  • Two ballpoint pens
One of the storage lockers that was tipped over seems to be untouched. It contains a number of see through plastic bags with stickers containing the ID numbers and names (last name first then first name, but it appears they only put down names that were given. Mr Green has no first name and Honey no surname.) Inside each plastic bag is personal items of clothing including footwear that appear to be whatever people were wearing when brought to the facility. Paul Robinson's is missing; it appears they gave him the distinction of keeping his uniform in his room with him. Joshua's bag also has a well used swiss army knife engraved "Happy 16th Joshua". These too are piled in the reception room.
► Show Spoiler

Joshua, Jani, Peter, Paul, Honey, Roslyn

Joshua exits his room with a crude rucksack containing one can of food and one bottle of water.

Roslyn adds her medical journal to the bottle of water and can of food in her rucksack. While she has read it twice during the period of her containment, she figures someone else could get some use out of it in a world where those skills would certainly be of benefit.

Jani takes her journal and pen with her, in which she has painstakingly drawn and noted all common poisonous plants of America, and commonly found plants safe to eat, during her time in captivity. As well as keeping her mind active and boredom at bay, she hopes that the information could be useful to someone if the world has gone to shit. She also has two bottles of water and two bottles of food in a crude rucksack.

Paul makes sure he is looking crisp in his Navel uniform. He places a bottle of water, can of food, his badges and decorations and a packet of Malboro with some matches in the pockets of his trench coat which he carries under his arm.

Peter stands terrified, looking to the women for support and clutching only his Gameboy and toothbrush. He has no food or water left.

Honey put all her doomsday prepping to use and fashioned two pigstickers from her cans.
► Show Spoiler
She has a crude racksack with one bottle of water, one can of food, and a tiny 'termater' plant in a pot that Dr Wilcott gave her to encourage her to open up. She places a can over the plant and soil to keep it safe in her rucksack.

They all converge in the corridor and discuss their situation.

All survivors have a toothbrush in their rucksack :)

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Mr. Green spots the kitchen knife in the pile of goodies and can't keep the wicked smile of cold hard death that finds its way to his face. "I'll just be taking this" he says as he reaches down and picks up the knife.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Jacob will pick over the loot with Jimmy, before heading back to find the others.

Presuming there are no objections from jimmy he'll take:
2 bottles of water (the other two to jimmy)
1 can of food (the other to jimmy
1 rutabaga (the other two to jimmy)
thermos flask
A pair of sunglasses (can't have the sun in your eyes while climbing)
1 wristwatch
first aid kit
large kitchen knife (need a weapon)
ballpoint pen
his bag of things

He'll also take note of the names on the bags. He'll then head back to find the others, giving them back their bags.

"We found these. They got everyone's names on em. There's some other stuff we gathered back in reception but its slim pickings"

edit: wait was badge with us? I thought only Jimmy and I left
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:28 pm

(He left before you!)

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 pm

I saw a looting plan but no other indication he actually left. I guess he can have the kitchen knife then and I'll just take the scalpel.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Jimmy will take the 2 bottles of water, 1 can of food, and 2 rutabaga that Jacob offers him and stash them in his sack, along with the magazine of bullets, flare, and one of the wrist watches.

If they are carrying the rest back to the group, he'll help.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Ahh, my things, Mr. Green thought to himself, as he approached the bags piled on the floor. Sorting through them, he picked up his own and opened it. His Favorite Suit lay inside, still in perfect condition and he smiled as he touched them, remembering all of the good times that they had had together. Ducking back into his room he quickly put on his clothes (Consisting of Shiny Black Shoes, Dark Gray Slacks, Light Gray Jacket (Slim), White Shirt beneath Jacket, Green Tie & Dark Gray Fedora), as he moved back into the hallway he tucked his black sunglasses into the inside pocket of his jacket.

Looking back through the pile of items that had been collected, Mr. Green hesitated before leaving taking stock of the path to the exit from the rooms that they had stayed in. If any of the bodies that they had found are between the exit and the rooms, he will move them so as not to scare the women and young boy.

(If bodies need moved, he'll nod at the other Men and say "A little Help here? We don't need the women and kid seeing these bodies"
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Making a loot list to make things easier to keep track of:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Roslyn is happy to see that someone had found the clothes she had been wearing when she was brought to the facility. If nothing else, it is something familiar. When she sees there is a flashlight/torch that was found in the looting, she takes it and checks to see that it is working. I big smile crosses her face when it immediately lights. She does not wish to waste any battery life and she quickly turns it off. See checks what type of batteries it uses and then places it in her makeshift pillowcase bag.
If the power is out everywhere, she will be happy for the torch, soon.

OOC: Is the building fully looted at this time, would it be a waste of time to continue on that strategy?

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Jimmy digs up his bundle of belongings, pleased to see that his faded jeans, and worn belt, battered leather riding boots, grey work shirt and kutte were all still there. He shakes out the kutte, running his hands gently over the backpatch... "Iron Gargoyles" curved above a depiction of a toothy leering face, underneath... "Colorado Springs". He closes his eyes against the pain... and shifts his [IG][MC] rings on his hand... but changes out of the white 'patient' garb back into own clothes. Despite the pain of wearing colors that meant nothing to anyone still alive... it was still who he was, despite whatever else the world has become since... it feels comfortable. It feels right, if a bit hollow. If the rest of the 'patients' have a problem with who he is, they can go fuck themselves.

He pulls his wallet out by its chain, and rummaging through the pile of stuff they scavenged, tucks in any bills above a $10, leaving small bills and change behind. He had no idea if currency still meant anything... but better to have it than need it.

He stuffs the white clothes into his pillowcase sack, and help Jacob (and "Chad"?) carry the rest of the items they scavenged (including the other's personal effects) back to the group. He stands to the side, arms crossed, as they rummage through the findings.

(He'll move bodies is warranted.)
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:45 am

With the adults talking or arguing among themselves Peter uses the time to calm down a little, sure he was shit scared with all these people rushing about in a mad manner, and possibly the people who caused the gunshots were still about but these people had come out the rooms like he did, so they were patients too. They had been in the same situation as him and were properly also all immunies, as he had once called them to Wilcott.

From the talk he over heard, they all clearly thought the Dr was dead and while he didn't want to admit it, it was most likely true, but still there was a chance the screaming he had heard was just her being caught and captured. There was still a chance right? He had already lost all family members to the spread of the disease (well maybe not all there was one cousin that hadn't been confirmed dead) and losing Cotty would be terrible as she had been the only nice and constant person in this place.

When the men bring back their collective stuff Peter finds his nine month old clothes and things he disappears to change. The clothes are now a little tight now, he had apparently had a little bit of a growth spurt in the time period, and his ankles and shins are now a little visible from the neat trousers. His short sleeved shirt and tie are also there and he puts them on too.

**Possible time jump solution - dealing with the kid** once again find the "adults" are all busy talking. Feeling a little hungry having eaten all his things he decides he will pop to the cafeteria quickly before anyone notices to see if he can find some food for himself.***
Last edited by Patdragon on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:48 am

Jani takes her bag of belongings.

"Thanks. Is this all you found? Was there nothing else in this place?"

(Jani will get changed in her cell after she's got a reply).

LOOTING:
I'll let nikohl choose stuff first if she wants since she was the person who really wanted to go scavenging, but if there's stuff left over, Jani would take:

The blanket + high vis jacket
Surgical gloves
One of the watches

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:37 am

thinkslogically wrote:"Thanks. Is this all you found? Was there nothing else in this place?"
"Pretty much anything that wasn't taken was burned. The only stuff that was left unscathed was in our cells. Sorry. Excuse me a moment"

Jacob will step back into his cell to quickly change back into his cargo shorts, t-shirt, sneakers. He'll latch his carabiners to his belt and use one to hold his new thermos and fill it with water. He'll also put on the wristwatch he took. He'll leave the climbing harness in the bag for the moment and stuff the rest of his loot in the plastic bag, which he stuffs in his make shift rucksack. He'll give his cell one last look before heading back out to the others.

"So I think I missed some of the introductions." Pointing to each person he'll try to remember their names, "Joshua, Jimmy, Chad, Jani, Roslyn, and I think that's as far as I got. Who are you two?

loot list:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:44 am

I had missed the kid entirely hiding behind the door like that. Eh, the poor bugger was in for a world of hurt if he lived long these days...

I heard the sounds of the others banging about and followed them to the main cross corridor. Apparently this place hadn't been built to Army regs or was so old it had just been waivered through. I walked into the laboratories and tried to see if there was any refrigerated storage large enough for a body, or maybe even just a tissue sample with Kris's name on it.

"Alright if she's not here then we go look in Wilcott's office." I said to the empty room as I looked about...

(Paul will search the laboratories and then look through the remains of the files and other things in Wilcott's office, and ignore the looting of the rest of the building at the moment...)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Paul will begin to have a complete emotional breakdown finally...
[/spoiler]
► Show Spoiler
In the end Paul will likely make his way towards the central space of the facility and the others.
(However he will likely not care about stuff at the moment in any case...)
Last edited by Quarg on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:21 am

(Just going to skip over apparently zoning out for hours while careful inventory of an entire building was taken, for the sake of moving on un-confused :lol:)

"Gimme those!" Honey grabs at the bag that quite clearly contains her meagre possessions - a few sets of hand-me-down patched shirts, jeans, a belt and bracers, a pair of well-worn workboots, a trucker cap ("Jill's Grill") and an assortment of floral undergarments visible through the clear plastic bag with her name written on it. She neglects to answer the question about her name, since it's on the bag she reached for and took. "Thanks. So, any y'all from round here? I fell asleep on the ride in when they brought me, so I dunno where this place even at. But I know I'm a long way from home, so bet I ain't gettin' back there no time soon... An' I don't got no map... Or no truck."

While she speaks, she crouches down to poke through the assorted treasures the boys brought back, and selects the remaining watch, which she straps to her wrist, the two bottles of shampoo and shower wash, which she tucks under one arm, and the baseball bat, which she tucks under the other. She stands and gestures to her cell. "Gon' change a minute. Holler if ya need me, speak up a lil just if ya wan' me hear ya talkin', I'ma leave the door cracked."

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:58 am

Joshua takes the bag of clothes he is offered and quickly ducks into his cell to change into his clothes; a pair of cargo jeans, a t-shirt, a hooded sweater (all of it black), and a pair of hiking boots. Seeing that his knife is also in the bag he flashes a small grin. Apparently those bastards hadn't taken all of his stuff. He puts the knife in his pocket and rejoins the others.
nikohl wrote:"Thanks. So, any y'all from round here? I fell asleep on the ride in when they brought me, so I dunno where this place even at. But I know I'm a long way from home, so bet I ain't gettin' back there no time soon... An' I don't got no map... Or no truck."
"Far as I could tell we're somewhere in Kansas, but I don't know exactly where. I was on my way back to Boston, where my family lives. Any of you guys got a plan where to go? 'Cause otherwise I'll probably just get back to that."
Last edited by Alaen on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 am

nikohl wrote:and an assortment of floral undergarments visible through the clear plastic bag with her name written on it.
ooc: lol somehow I didn't take your character as being into flowery things.
"Thanks. So, any y'all from round here? I fell asleep on the ride in when they brought me, so I dunno where this place even at. But I know I'm a long way from home, so bet I ain't gettin' back there no time soon... An' I don't got no map... Or no truck."
"I'm from Vermont. Things were pretty bad up north so I was heading south when to see if anything was better down here when they picked me up.
"Gon' change a minute. Holler if ya need me, speak up a lil just if ya wan' me hear ya talkin', I'ma leave the door cracked."
Jacob isn't quite comfortable continuing the conversation while she's changing. Normally, he wouldn't be bothered, the door offered far more privacy than his companions got out in the wilderness. But its been so long since he's had female contact that he decides its better to leave her be as just finds the whole thing a bit awkward. Since the unintroduced man left, there are no new people to introduce, so instead he moves on to Roslyn. Sorry, I cut you off when you were trying to introduce yourself earlier. I just wanted to check things out first."
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:46 am

Honey changed quickly, folding her white uniform and white deck shoes neatly. She put on her jeans, a vest and shirt, cinching her thick belt to tighten the size-too-big pants, and hiking her big old suspenders in an X over her shoulders, clipping them to her jeans front and back to keep the whole lot up over her skinny hips. Two pairs of socks, boots laced tight, cap on head - good to go. Now that she had a little more space and a little less to immediately worry about, she tucked her two can-knives into the band on her cap for safekeeping rather than holding them.

She carefully emptied out her pillowcase-rucksack and plastic bag and lined the pillowcase with the plastic, so that it was marginally sturdier and more waterproof, and then re-packed it. She took the linen and blankets from her bed, rolled them tightly, and lashed them to the bottom of her pack with more TV cable, then finally emptied the shampoo and shower gel into her sink, rinsed the bottles thoroughly and refilled them with fresh water, before heading back out to join the others.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:18 am

"Kansas seems about right. As for plans, there's nothing left for me in Colorado... And probably nothing left for you wherever you're from. "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler