Hunters of Letrua

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Hunters of Letrua

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:14 pm

This part was attached to the signups, just adding it here for easy access.
► Show Spoiler
Preparations and Trials
The introductory seminar complete, the assorted entrants were directed towards the rooms in which they would prepare for the tests which would determine their potential in the arena. As each entered the corridor they found themselves examined by a woman of middling age, tall enough to look all but the tallest of men in the eye, with golden blonde hair reaching half way down her back. As they pass by she peers at them through spectacles which seem to be more liquid than solid, an intensity in her piercing blue eyes indicating deep consideration, though she says nothing to most except to hurry them along to their rooms. As Julius passes by, though, she places a hand on his shoulder and indicates for him to wait beside her while she examines the remaining combatants.

Julius
Once the others have passed the woman takes hold of Julius's wrist and starts towards the end of the corridor, examining his fingers as she walks, almost pulling him with her, "You, young man, have potential. Of course all have their talents, some even I cannot read, but you are the one who I can teach. Your hands seem frail, we will need to work on that if you are to have any hope, unless you can paint with your feet." Releasing her grasp on his wrist she pushes open the final door, ushering him inside. The room is surprisingly large, almost large enough to have been used as a dormitory, but no beds are present. Instead, on one wall stands a rack of leather armour, and beside it a pile of metal plates, presumably the armour mentioned by the man who greeted them, all with small squares on the surface, though they give the feel of lacking something. Opposite the armour hang weapons of many kinds, varying from daggers, to swords, to great clubs which could hardly be called a weapon, along with several bows, crossbows, and weighted knives, all with the same small square marking, giving the same feeling of incompletion. In the middle of the room, apart from all the rest, stands a small rectangular table, on side lined with a brush and ink, a chisel and hammer, and a peculiar blade which looks to be used for carving. Closing the door behind them, the woman addresses Julius, "Tell me, boy, what do you know of enchantment?"

Ollrith
As Ollrith enters a room, he finds himself facing a young girl, who looks to be no more than ten years of age, twirling a knife between her fingers with the skill of a trained performer. As he takes note of her she halts the blade and flicks her jet black hair out of her eyes with her free hand, shooting him a grin before speaking, "So you're one of the new fighters? I lucked out this time! The last person I was in charge of ran home crying after the first test, but you look like you can handle yourself. That's good, half the work for you newbies is putting yourself back together after you get all cut up. I'm Allisandra, and I'll be in charge of monitoring your test fights. You can call me Allie, if you make it through your first test. Now, your introduction to your equipment. On this side of the room, as you will see, is your armour," as she says this she points her knife toward the left side of the room where a stand holds a leather vest, with straps hanging below to provide some cover of the upper legs, and beside is a pile of metal plates. "If you look closely you can see the runes painted on all the bits and pieces. I won't go into the details until I know I'm not wasting my time, but you'll need to wear the leather vest, over your clothes is fine, and you can attach the metal to that. Just line up the hand mark on the metal with that on the leather and the enchantments will hold it there. To take it off, get a firm grasp of the plate with both hands, twist it, and pull it off. Both hands, mind you. Last person who tried with one got his fingers crushed when the plate snapped back into place. Anyway, on your right," again she indicates with her knife, "Is your selection of weapons." And a selection it is, with half the wall covered, "Now you'll probably notice that there are a lot of weapons of the same type. That's to account for different enchantments. Some people prefer to make their weapons heavier so they hit harder, some prefer to make them lighter, one of our top guys has a sword that sets things on fire. So, we accommodate where we can. For your first test, though, stick with a regular weapon or two. No handling fancy weaponry until we decide you can, so you don't lop off your own arm. You can choose what type of weapon you want, but you'll probably want to decide that based on what you're fighting. And that's the last thing I need to tell you, your opponent. Today, you're going to be set up against what the science farts call a Carionite. I call them blood packs. They're agile and a little hard to hit, but they're pretty squishy, and their bite isn't that bad. They do have a knack for drinking the blood out of living targets, though, and will only get ugly if you let that throw you off, but their real strength is when they're in a group. We're only putting you against one, so you should be fine. Now, suit up, decide on a weapon. I've been talking for long enough, let's see some blood!"

Loki
Upon choosing his room, Loki is greeted by an old man, his silvery hair only starting to thin. Not looking up from the sword he is examining, her grunts and gives brief directions, sending a shiver down Loki's spine "You a fighter? Armour on the left, connect runes hand to hand to attach plates to leather, twist and pull with both hands to take 'em off. Weapons on the right, take yer pick, but no enchantments for now. Ye'r goin' to be fighting two Rottina. Slow fat vermin things. Bite makes you sick, but the crush under the boot easy enough. Easy to handle if you can dance."

Korga
The first thing in the room to catch Korga's attention is a young man lounging in a soft chair, half way across the room, staring daggers at her over the edge of the book he holds, "If you're interrupting my reading, that means you're a new recruit. Nobody could be foolish enough to do so otherwise. Well, there's no helping it for those who are uninformed, and I suppose you're not too hard on the eyes, either. Well, let's handle this quickly so I can get back to it. On your left you will see a set of armour. You are required to wear that into battle, at the least. If you want to add more, you take a couple of those metal plates and stick them to the leather. Line up the hand symbols and you'll have no trouble. To take them off, grip with both hands, twist it either way, there was too much confusion when the direction was specific, and try to tear the plate away while you twist. Even following that procedure it isn't easy, but if you don't it's impossible. As for weapons, you can have your selection of any two weapons which are not enscribed with a rune, that means the ones closest to the door. If you try to take one with a rune I'll send you out there unarmed. Now, sorry to drop this on you, but since this whole arena is to show off, our new contestants get some variety in the tests, and you're an unfortunate one. You're going to have to work with one of your fellow recruits to take on a Felid. They can be extremely dangerous in a solo fight, which is why we're putting two of you against it, and I'll be there to handle things if the fight gets out of control, don't you worry. Now, the thing is fast, it'll step out of the way of most attacks, and it'll lay a real beating into you with the front paws, lots of hits that don't seem much, but they add up. They're used to picking off prey from stealth, so their hide isn't too thick. Now, the tail, that's the real problem. Let that thing nick you and the venom will be right in there. You may not notice at first, but it will wear you down fairly quickly. That's another reason I'm watching over your fight, to stop the toxins if it becomes necessary. Can't have anybody being killed. Now, get geared up, and don't distract me unless it's important or you want to admire my handsome features." With that, he lifts his book to block view of his face and settles deep into the chair.

Eavus
Entering his own room, Eavus is greeted with the sight of the same man who had provided the earlier introduction, but there seems to be some slight difference in the way he holds himself, "Of course somebody just had to choose my room. More work, great. I'm sure my brother gave you a good introduction? Well, armour's on your left, line up the hand on the metal with the leather if you want more layers of protection. You are to use one or two simple weapons in this first fight, no enchantments, that way we can properly assess your skill. You're going to be working with one of your fellows to fight a Felid. It'll be hard to hit if you're too slow, and it will try to lay a lot of hits into you whenever it gets the chance. Get stabbed by the tail, though, and it's over, so make sure you can dive out of the way and get on your feet quickly. Step to it, hup hup."

Risu
Risu's room is occupied by a young boy, surely no older than herself, staring into space, though as the door clicks shut he jumps slightly and his attention snaps to her, "Boy, you don't look like you're meant to be here. But if you're here then you are! I'm meant to tell you how things will work. We've got some armour on the left side of the room, it's going to seem pretty big, but we can adjust the length for you, and on the right are your weapons. You don't get any enchanted weapons yet. If you want to put on metal with your armour, you have to stick the hands together, then you twist and pull to take them off. I think the metal's too heavy to be worth it most of the time though. As for your test, that will be easy! You're gonna be fighting my pet, Monty! Monty the mountain! You don't have to worry, he doesn't like hurting people, so you mostly just have to not get stepped on accidentally, and his skin's harder than our walls, so there's no way you'll hurt him bad with a normal weapon. Have fun!"
► Show Spoiler
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Hunters of Letrua

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm

"Enchantment, or magic is the process to enhance something through runes of various forms. Many runes maybe the same shape but reference a different thing, depending on the enchanter. The most common ones used, earth, fire, air, and water have common symbols most agree upon, but their exact effect will depend on how it is used and what it appears to be. This is why magical items or tools are not to be taken lightly, for a mage may have inscribed a rune which will cause toxin in the wielder if they are not of the mage's blood. By that I mean if it is anybody asides from that mage they could get posioned. I have a therory that magic can utilize demon blood and perhaps eventually can make some enchantments which can seek out and destroy demons or beasts on themselves. The most facinating part about magic is how one can come up with various things for enchantment and the possiblities are only limited by imagination and the capabiltity to pull it off."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:25 am

"So, you have been taught some things. Unfortunately, whoever taught you about the elements wasn't the best teacher. Grouping effects within such boundaries can make it easier to grasp the concept, but in the end it will only prevent a skilled enchanter from reaching their full potential, they have to think about the element they're grouping the effect under as well as the overall effect. Complex effects as you described? Those aren't going to be happening for you unless the only thing you think about is the effect. No subsidiary elements defining it or anything like that. First thing I want you to do is ignore everything you were ever told about elements, and just focus on symbol and effect. Then I want you to go get the armour and one of the metal plates, bring them over to the table, and use the brush to paint inside one square on each a symbol or rune you associate with holding, most people use a hand but that's up to you, and I want you to really focus on the concept of holding something. Just do that much."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 am

Risu studies the room for a moment before taking a step forward. "I... I don't want to be here. Do I have to fight? Surely you must know a way out?"
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 am

"You don't? But then why are you here? You shouldn't be here unless you're meant to be here, and if you are here then you're meant to be here... But if you really want to leave, well I can talk to our boss to see if she can find your contract. But if there is one then you need to work for a little while, until we know why it's there. Of course, if you fight something and haven't signed the contract then it's bad news. So... You go introduce yourself to Monty, and I'll talk to the boss. You don't have to fight him, and it will be better than sitting around here, right?"
My game:

My characters:

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:02 am

Feavus nods and starts to don the armour. "Alright, so when do I start?"
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:06 am

Risu looks around uncertainly. "Well, I suppose. I think... someone else signed a contract for me. Are you sure I can't just sneak out somewhere?" As she has been speaking, Risu has shuffled close to the weapons rack and quickly slips a stilleto and a tanto into her sleeves.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:40 am

Eavus
"Alright, so when do I start?"
"As soon as you and your comrade are ready. You'll know who it is because the two of you are the only ones in a team. Your counterpart's instructor will be responsible for overseeing your match, so he'll lead you to your battleground. If he doesn't, threaten his books. That always gets him moving."

Risu
"Well, I suppose. I think... someone else signed a contract for me. Are you sure I can't just sneak out somewhere?"
The boy stares at her in confusion for a moment before responding, "They can't do that, it's mean! Marie doesn't like mean people. And why would you want to sneak out? There's free food here, and lots of friends. Why would you want our knives if you don't want to fight, anyway? You can have them, we've got lots, and we have to make sure you're safe, but you don't really want to use them, do you?" Risu starts to get the feeling that there's something off about this boy. First comes that fact that she should have been able to pilfer the knives even under a watchful eye, but there's something else about how he stares...
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:04 am

Risu looks shocked when he mentions the knives. With a resigned sigh, she walks over to the leather armor.

"Clearly you aren't going to help me with anything other than preparing for battle, and I'm sure talking to any supervisor of yours will make little difference. Harada has probably made sure the organisers' pockets are lined or has some steel-clad contract I can't escape from. Let's get this over and done with then, help me put this on."

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:27 am

"I'll help you with lots of things. That's why I'm here. Once I tell Marie you don't want to fight, she'll start work on dissolving your contract. Fighters who don't want to fight aren't needed, and it's more important to put up a good show than make money. Well, that's what she says, but she still hasn't convinced Tor to see it that way. You'll be stuck for a while because of him if you're right, but Marie will get her way eventually, and you'll be allowed to go. Maybe it will be fun!" The boy tosses a small pouch to her as he walks over to the armour with beside her and works several straps undone, opening one side of it and holding it open for her to put her arm through, "You'll need something to shoot if you want to stay far away. That can hold ten shots, but once you're allowed to use enchanted stuff I can give you one that calls back what you shoot. Cool, huh? I'm Gaul, by the way. Let's be friends."
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 am

Olly grins when he sees the little girl in front of him, though it's more because she reminds him of his own little sister back in his parents' house than because he thinks badly of her. He listens as best he can to her instructions about the armour, though his head is buzzing with excitement and questions by the time she's finished. A real demon is waiting for him to fight it! Finally! He's going to get to see one for real! Suddenly, he realises just how young his instructor is and his stomach falls slightly...

"So... can I ask you a question? Are you one of the guard? Only... you seem really young. Not that I don't think you're good or anything like that! You're here as an instructor so you must have some pretty amazing skills against demons! It's just... does everyone start as young as you? I've wanted to be a guardsman forever, but... well, I'm a lot older than you and I've not even SEEN a demon yet."

Olly fiddles with his harness, adding one of the metal plates to the chest (making it Rank 2) and picks up two fist-type weapons

[I'm thinking that a bare-fisted / fast style of fighting would suit Olly, like a traditional monk class. Since punching demons with bare fists is probably a horrible idea though, he'll equip himself with sturdy or spiked gloves / knuckledusters or whatever he can find that will allow him to use his hands and feet as his weapons. Blades just don't feel like the right kind of fit for him for some reason... Anyway, if this isn't possible just let me know what would suit best.].

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:16 am

Loki nods at the explanation."I'm Loki. What's your name? Can we pick new armor and weapons for each fight? And are there any shields?"

He picks up some armor that should provide protection and maneurability (I'm thinking rank 3) and tries to put it on correctly and looks through the weapons for something that gives both good damage and range (e.g. maybe a halberd?) and gives that a few experimental swings. When he's done, he asks the old men to inspect the joints, if he did it right.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:00 am

"So... can I ask you a question? Are you one of the guard? Only... you seem really young. Not that I don't think you're good or anything like that! You're here as an instructor so you must have some pretty amazing skills against demons! It's just... does everyone start as young as you? I've wanted to be a guardsman forever, but... well, I'm a lot older than you and I've not even SEEN a demon yet."
"Guard? No, no I'm not. They're nowhere near as fun as being in the arena. I've seen them fight, and these days they always work as a big group. They have a tendency to surround anything that gets too close to the walls and pin it down with spears. There are rarely even demons out there anymore, the things that get close are mostly just twisted beasts. So where's the fun in that?! I say it's far more interesting to take on a demon face to face, me against it. That way I can really put some energy into it. I especially love Luchans. They drink blood too, but since they're fully fledged demons they can't actually digest it, so when you cut their throat they turn into a fountain of it. Just have to make sure you don't swallow any or get it in your eyes... Oh, right, guards. No, people normally don't become guards until they're a fair bit older than you are now, and then they put you through years of training an discipline. You made the right choice joining the arena, we'll teach you to fight nice and quick, then put you to it. If you're really good, you may even catch a sponsor's attention and get sent out into the wilds, then there'll be lots of demons. But you haven't even seen one? Whoo, you are missing out. You must be from a farm or something, never to have even watched an arena battle."

"I'm Loki. What's your name? Can we pick new armor and weapons for each fight? And are there any shields?"
"Lar. Ye choose new equipment for each opponent. No shields, they're too easy to pull them away from ye. Can't lose armour so easily." Lar gently places the sword down when Loki asks for the inspection and examines him, tightening a few straps on the armour before giving a nod, "That is suitable."
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 am

Julius goes over to the armour, attempting to clear his mind of elements. He cannot help but think of what the guy could mean by hold. Stop? No probably not. Something to help with various holds? Something to stop monsters in it's place? That must be it! He concentrates on that and draws a creature with a squiggly mark above it to symbolize monster being stopped by the rune.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 am

The woman peers through her spectacles at the symbol as Julius draws it, examining it closely for a moment after he is finished before speaking, "Well, there is nothing to be said about a lack of ingenuity. Most people who are asked for 'hold' simply create an enchantment which will pull at anything that gets close, that is how me make the metal stick to the armour, but this... Well, it would work in some ways, and not in others. There is a... Strange specificity to it. It shows your talent that you can specify targets at all, but you aren't quite there yet. This would hold... Well, probably anything you felt threatened by. Which I imagine would be a useful effect, except for one matter. It is a very weak effect, which is to be expected of a quick work. In essence, if the wearer of this felt threatened by something, the effect would try to hold it, but with the strength of this enchantment it would only have any effect once in contact with the threat. And a single rune like this probably wouldn't stop the impact. Consider these," the woman quickly sketches two hands, one on the leather and another on a metal plate, "These two symbols will pull at anything that gets close, but as you can see," she places the rune on the plate against her palm and lets go, watching as it slides down her hand and drops to the floor, "One is not enough to hold it in place. That is why we use two," she picks up the plate and presses it against the symbol she sketched on the armour, releasing it again, only this time it stays perfectly in place, "Weak effects are amplified when used together. The rune you made, while interesting, has no counterpart to enhance it, unless you plan to doodle on demons as they chew on you.

"Beside that, though, it is a good idea. Given the time to prepare it and apply enough energy, you could use something like this to lay traps for your enemies, though I don't think it will make very suitable armour. Keep it in mind, though. Once you reach the higher ranks of the arena you will be allowed to bring in enchanted objects along with weapons and armour, so you could use it to lay traps. Or, if you ever got the chance to leave for uncivilised lands, you could use this to create a perimeter around camp sites."
My game:

My characters:

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:16 am

"Alright then... whatever your name is."

Eavus rummages through the weapons in the room, eventually producing a one-handed warhammer.
► Show Spoiler
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 am

Olly smiles broadly at the girl, his mind set somewhat at rest by her answer.

Oh, yeah I've seen demons in the arena! I think everyone must have seen those ones! I've never seen one up close for myself though! I'd love to see the wilds one day! Have you been out there yourself? What's it like?

... Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how do YOU fight demons? I mean, you seem really young so I would guess that you probably don't rely on physical strength, so are you an enchantress?Please don't kick my ass for asking!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 am

Korga nods as she flips her dark braid back over her shoulder, she's fine with being given the freedom to examine the gear without someone telling her what to do. She peers at the young man... less to get a peek at his "handsome features", and more to see if she can determine what the topic of the book he's reading is.

She steps quickly to the left and examines the leather armor, tracing the symbols lightly with her finger. She scans the rack to see if there are any enchanted versions of the plates... or at least, enchanted beyond the hand symbols. Well... nothing to gain by not trying it. Slipping easily into the leather, she picks up a section of plate and aligns the symbols. As she feels it begin to pull out of her fingers, she releases it, allowing it to snap into place. He was right, that was fairly easy. Next she practices removing the plate in the manner he described, twisting and pulling it free. At first her fingers slip and she doesn't mange to get it removed, which elicits a frown across her brows. Trying again, she succeeds and pulls it free, then re-aligns and secures the plate once again. She pulls it free once more, this time turning it in the opposite direction, concluding that thrusting the top of the plate to the left was most comfortable for her.

She can't help but wonder about applying the armor to more than just the torso... while there only seem to be the leather vests in this room, presumably it should be possible to plate arms and legs as well, though using two hands to remove plates from the arms would be difficult without help. Continuing to experiment with the armor, she continues adding more and more plates until she resembles an armored beetle. Attempting to maneuver, she finds herself quite hampered... this won't work well for her... she might be able to turn the blows, but avoiding them altogether would be preferable. She systematically removes plates until she has the minimum amount attached, slightly less easy to move than wearing just the vest, but with a bit more protection.

She walks behind the young man, trying to catch a peek over his shoulder at the page he is reading without slowing her step to where it would be obvious she's trying to read over his shoulder. She heads to the back of the room and begins inspecting the enchanted weapons (without touching), seeing if any of the symbols look familiar or if she can determine what they might do. (If he objects, "I know, un-runed only. I'm just looking.")

Eventually she makes her way to the mundane weapons and surveys what is available, picking up and getting a feel for the heft and swing of some of the weapons. Korga settles on a belt of sharpened spikes that seem weighted for throwing, and a pair of hooked knives in sheathes that she is able to strap to her thighs. She practices crouching, leaping and rolling, drawing and sheathing her weapons, switching grip on the knives, all while ignoring the young man's presence. If the had any opinions of her efforts, she didn't care to know them, she just wanted to make sure that she can move and fight in the gear she'd selected. Satisfied, she stands and slips the hooked blades of the knives back into their sheathes and walks to the front of the room, turning to face her mentor.

"Ahem... Korga, by the way...", she pauses to let him introduce himself, "I think I'm ready, but a few questions, if I may. This Felid, how large of a creature is it? You said it attacks with the front paws, I'm assuming with claws, as well as the tail. Is it able to attack directly in front of it with the tail, and if so, does its prey need to be in front of it in order for it to coordinate a tail attack? If it can't strike forward, risking the paws to avoid the tail may be best, but if it can't see to strike, or can't bend its tail around to hit someone right on its ass, skirting the side and striking the rear may be best. I'm assuming that there is the possibility of procuring armor that provides some measure of protection against venom? Not for this trial of course, I'm asking from a conceptual standpoint."
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 pm

"you say that as if it was an issue." Julius grabs the softest material to carve, most likely leather and a knife. He gets fresh ink on his drawing, redawing it and then placing it on the soft material and starts carving areas not covered in ink. After he carves the blank areas he uses the ink to make the newly formed stamp covered in it. He then tests it out a few times until it leaves a similar mark to what he drew.

"Now all is needed is meay ink. With threatning things being momentay stunned it can be applied without much time at all and causing a greater effect than a single rune. And depending how long it takes massive amounts of enchantments to explode a demon, one can use it quickly to plant multiple enchantments."
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Risu looks at Gaul skeptically for a few moments before smiling and saying "Hi Gaul, I'm Risu. That's Squirrel in your tongue, so you can call me whichever you prefer!"
While Gaul helps her don her leather, she enquires, "So you said fighters make money? Is there a prize of some sort, or payment? I thought that gladiators just did this for the fame and glory!"
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Eavus
"Alright then... whatever your name is."
"Rupert. My brother is Alan. And that's the last time either of us will give you a name. Have fun knowing who you're dealing with."

Ollrith
Oh, yeah I've seen demons in the arena! I think everyone must have seen those ones! I've never seen one up close for myself though! I'd love to see the wilds one day! Have you been out there yourself? What's it like?
"I've gone out there once. It's very... Empty. Vast plains for a long way beyond the city, and nothing but small beasts. It takes almost two days to reach anything interesting, but once you get out there there are more than enough demons. I was only meant to work out how far the plains stretched, though, so I didn't get to go any further."
... Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how do YOU fight demons? I mean, you seem really young so I would guess that you probably don't rely on physical strength, so are you an enchantress?Please don't kick my ass for asking!
"No, I'm not an enchantress. No need for that. There's nothing wrong with enchantment, of course, it plays to the strengths of some, I just don't need it. I'm fast enough to avoid getting hit most of the time, and I could throw- Well, I probably couldn't throw you across the room. You're pretty big. I might be able to throw you over my shoulder, though. With what I've got, I can put a knife through the eye of a demon from opposite sides of an arena, and if they get close I can slice their throats before they know what happened."

Korga
It's hard to read the lettering on the cover of the book, but from what she can tell it's a sort of... Historical record of noteworthy use of enchantment? When she peers into the book as she walks past the suspicion is confirmed. The book holds a list of runes and the effects famous enchanters have used them for. It seems like it's meant to be used as some sort of an index to help determine what various runes may mean, but this man doesn't seem to be looking for anything in particular. When she inspects the weapons she finds an array of rather unhelpful images. A flame, a cross, two squiggly lines, one sword even has a tooth etched into it. As she inspects the enchanted weapons, the man speaks up, "Interested in knowing more? So long as you can guarantee not to damage anything I can let you borrow some books. No use in having them if they are not read. This one may be particularly useful to you. It is split into sections, with the first grouping enchantments by similar runes, the second by the effects, and the third by notable enchanters, the kind of people who many would imitate. Then beyond that, by far the largest part of the book, goes into detail of the small quirks each enchanter used, to help determine possible effects of runes you see. Of course, it's not foolproof. At least half the runes you will find on that wall aren't included in this book at all."
"Ahem... Korga, by the way..."
"Tor. I'm the overall manager of fighters who cannot use enchantment, and as an extension of that I make sure the arena stays financed, so that we can provide quality food, shelter, equipment, to our fighters."
"I think I'm ready, but a few questions, if I may. This Felid, how large of a creature is it? You said it attacks with the front paws, I'm assuming with claws, as well as the tail. Is it able to attack directly in front of it with the tail, and if so, does its prey need to be in front of it in order for it to coordinate a tail attack? If it can't strike forward, risking the paws to avoid the tail may be best, but if it can't see to strike, or can't bend its tail around to hit someone right on its ass, skirting the side and striking the rear may be best. I'm assuming that there is the possibility of procuring armor that provides some measure of protection against venom? Not for this trial of course, I'm asking from a conceptual standpoint."
"The felid is roughly three quarters of your height, at its shoulder, is twice as long as you are tall, and can turn a full three hundred and sixty degrees in one and a half seconds. The tail is flexible and is capable of moving in a two hundred and seventy degree arc behind it, though the felid's maneuverability means it can twist to put you in that arc fairly easily if you are standing in front of it. The only person I have known to successfully stay completely out of the tail's reach is Allisandra, though she did that by climbing atop its tail and balancing where it could not bend to reach her. As for protection from the venom, it is difficult to achieve. I know how to apply an effect which neutralises the venom, but to have an object which would actively do so... The only way I can think to achieve that would be to use a blade enchanted with the effect and stab yourself with it, but I specialise in temporary enchantments and identification. Marie may know of a way to make such a thing possible."

Julius
"you say that as if it was an issue."
"For most people it would be."
"Now all is needed is meay ink. With threatning things being momentay stunned it can be applied without much time at all and causing a greater effect than a single rune. And depending how long it takes massive amounts of enchantments to explode a demon, one can use it quickly to plant multiple enchantments."
"... Your creativity lives up to that of the enchantment. Few would think to use a print for anything more than an outline of where their more detailed work will be laid. Whether that is because you or they are the fool is yet to be seen, until you put it to the test in a real fight, though. Be sure you do not smudge the rune when you lay it. Now, let us move on. You have shown you can enchant runes, let us move to the next stage. When you enchanted that rune, what path did you follow? Did you simply allow your hands to work as your mind focused on the effect? Did you split your thoughts between the two subjects?"

Risu
"Hi Gaul, I'm Risu. That's Squirrel in your tongue, so you can call me whichever you prefer!"
"I'll call you Risu, then! It suits you very well."
"So you said fighters make money? Is there a prize of some sort, or payment? I thought that gladiators just did this for the fame and glory!"
"Lots of people do want to get famous by fighting in the arena, they still get a little money, to send to their families or use for themselves. The managers hold onto a lot of money the arena makes to make sure the fighters are comfortable, but once we win a couple of fights we start getting some of the money they can spare, and you get more money for making the crowds happier because they give the arena more money. I always make my audience super happy, so I get ten percent of what we make from my shows, and forty percent is used to buy food for Monty. If I wasn't paying to take care of Monty I would be able to buy a house already!
... I can tell you don't like this, but we really aren't as bad as you think. We're like a family! Whenever someone gets really sick or hurt, Tor runs to take care of them himself, and nothing else except Marie can make Tor run! Not even free money!"

► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:09 pm

"Really? One would think that most would know how to make a stamp. Anyways, I was thinking of multiple effects at first, after thinking about it I figured the one that would be most applicable would be to hold down a threat. I then focused on that thought and what was most likely the appearance would be while carving said rune. Was that incorrect?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:47 pm

"Knowing how is not the same as thinking to. As for what you did, technically there is no right or wrong way to complete an enchantment, so long as it works. It is simply that how you handled that would influence how you would handle temporary enchantments, with no rune to use. It sounds to me as though the rune itself was secondary to you, while the purpose was the primary focus. Enchanters who have their primary focus on the symbol have to picture that symbol and overlay it on what they see, which can be difficult to get the hang of, and those who can do both at the same time, those whose body reacts to automatically create the required rune, often have to take an action, such at tracing the shape in the air between them and the target. For somebody like you, whose primary focus is on the effect, it is much easier, if more difficult to find. Your method of enchantment means I can't simply teach you the trick to temporary enchantment, but once you do know it, you will be able to create permanent and temporary enchantments with equal ease. Now, while I cannot tell you how to do it, I can give you some ideas. I, personally, focus on the effect I desire while keeping the target in my vision, and in a way I push the energy out of my eyes, as though it were flowing from my brain through my eyes and into the target. Others point at the target and speak a chant or phrase, to declare their intention to the world, and thus shape the world to it. In the end you will need to find your own method. Here," she takes a large sword from the wall and leans it against the table, holding the handle lightly, "Make this lighter, without the use of a rune."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:00 pm

"Facinating, from books read I never came across something like this... Okay so I focus on the effect." He thinks for a bit, lighter? Most likely would mean a way to make it wiegh less, but it could also make into a light, or perhaps able to create a fire. Most likely weighing less. What better way than make it airborne? He focuses on the sword and attempts to push it upwards, almost as if his hand was underneath it to force it up. He moves his hand as if he is slowly lifting the sword, unbreaking in concentration.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Julius
"Temporary enchantments actually came about before runes were developed. As should be expected, really. We learned how to use something before we learned to improve it." As Julius tries to lift the sword it begins to quiver slightly, lifting slightly, then drops back to the ground, sending pain through his hand, "While technically it was lighter, you shouldn't have been trying to lift it. Involve yourself in the equation and there's a chance for things to go wrong. Like that hand of yours. If the sword had been lifted any more than it had it a hole probably would have been drilled in your hand. But that's why we start small. You shouldn't try to do things, because that's when you start subconsciously involving your own body or mind. Instead you should try to change things. Make them lighter, make them grip. Try again, but this time, don't be clever about it. Just will the sword to be lighter."
My game:

My characters: