OOC/LORE for The Age of Dragons (Recruitment OPEN)

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

OOC/LORE for The Age of Dragons (Recruitment OPEN)

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:36 am

► Show Spoiler
Discovered Areas:
► Show Spoiler
LORE:
.[tabs: Fertilization of Eggs]
When a female dragon reaches puberty her body goes through several changes which creates a large but set number of eggs. A Dragon can mate for love or birth or both, but unlike humans, birth is a choice, not an accident. As long as there are no health problems concerning the fertility of a female dragon, which while rare, is possible; a female dragon upon mating can choose to fertilize one or more of her eggs. Once fertilized, an egg is able to be kept inside the female and remain viable for up to five years. This allows a female a certain length of time to find a suitable location that is safe and dry in which to lay her eggs. Laying eggs is a great strain on a female dragons body which is why clutches of eggs are typically six at the most. This strain on their bodies, though subtle, takes them between fifty and one hundred years to fully overcome.

Traditionally, eggs were not produced except by lifemates after waiting at least ten years after their binding ceremony, as this was the only way to ensure purity of bloodlines. For additional information on the Bloodlines, See Hierarchy.
Addendum:
1. The Role of Father Dragons was defending and feeding their mates while they in turn protected and connected with their children.
[tabs: Hierarchy]
Long ago, DragonKind developed a system of Hierarchy that placed you somewhere within as long as you were of legitimate birth. (Meaning your parents were lifemates and had waited the proper time of 10 years before having any children). Thus it became, that children born legitimately, were known to be of a pure bloodline, in that they could trace their path back to one of the Seven. Bastards, were those children born either out of "wedlock" or prior to the 10 year mark. These children were either put to death or banished; their very existence was frowned upon, for fear that they would destroy otherwise pure bloodlines.

The closer one was with the Seven, the higher they were within the chain of command. This led many dragons to die at the hands of other dragons due to their desire for more power, because Dragons within this chain of command, were given rulership over over dragons.

[tabs:The Eighth]
Although the story/legend of the Seven is not untrue, it is not complete as there was an eighth egg. This egg did not hatch when the others did and was thus abandoned only to be saved later by a DarkBorn who had been looking for trophies in that particular cave system. It was then, rather a surprise that the egg hatched and a young black dragon found himself among a Darkborn village. Believed to have been abandoned by his parents, Zart gained a deep hatred for his parents and siblings which was fed by a priestess in the tribe. It was also she who gave him a taste for the darker magics which he used to make himself very powerful. Many centuries later when humans crawled into existence, he took the stance of ruling over the remnant that remained after he enticed them to make war with themselves. Little is known about the entire life of Zart and he has reseded to the realm of things to tell your children to scare them into obedience.

[tabs:Artifacts]
It is unknown how the artifacts and relics that exist today came into existence.

[tabs:The Kataki]
A secretive organization consisting of many of the Elder races. Their name means "The Keepers", and it is believed that they formed soon after the first Great War as an organization dedicated in keeping artifacts and Relics out of the hands of humans. It was because of these Relics/Artifacts that the Great Wars were fought in the first place. Any time a human rises to power due to an object of power, that human and that object tend to disappear in a relatively short time. Where these relics are kept and what is done with them is not known. *This would probably not be talked about during your training, but may be talked about during Pantera's lessons, as it is relevant to the Great Wars, which is Human History.*

[tabs: Life Mates]
The Birth of humanity was something of a wild-card among the seven major races. The ones who sought to do evil, befriended or enslaved humans to better accomplish their vile plans. The ones who sought to do good, saw it as a chance to spread goodness to every corner of the world. Though now a thing of myth, it's known among Dragon-Kind that is was they who taught humanity of the importance of a committed relationship.

Dragons have three names, the first two they are born with is their "True-Name plus their Heart-Name". The other name they give to themselves. True-Name and heart names are impressed upon the minds of hatchlings whilst still in the egg by their mothers, this is why mother dragons have such a deep connection with their children. Sharing your True-Name with another dragon (and even humans) grants an increased mental connection, enabling one to whisper their thoughts across many miles. Sharing your True-Name and Heart-Name with another dragon creates a magical unity between them that is very intense and deeply connected. The connection enables the sharing of feelings and thoughts more so than just True name as well as bonding the two for life. The height of this connection enforces the bonds of commitment by causing sickness should one dare try to have a dalliance with another dragon.

That being said, Dragon's are able to have children outside of being Heart-Name Connected to another dragon, though the offspring are typically looked down upon as bastards.
To break it down even further, flirting and love-making is common among young dragons as they explore the world, themselves and others. But becoming LifeMates is an honorable and Magical tradition that is not to be entered into lightly.
[tabs: Mental Communication]
Dragons communicate mentally, and they can do so in varying degrees. Whether by ÔÇ£WhisperingÔÇØ (Whispering is accomplished with the knowledge of another dragons True-Name, which are not given out lightly) to one specific person or ÔÇ£talkingÔÇØ to a group or ÔÇ£shoutingÔÇØ to anyone that can hear. Distance that is allowed is based on Personal Proximity and Visual. Personal Proximity contains persons that you have a close bond with. (Parents, siblings, friends). This Proximity grows with Age and learning. Legends tell of ancient dragons that could ÔÇ£WhisperÔÇØ with one another across the great ocean. Proximity not only allows you to speak without seeing one another, it also allows you to ÔÇ£senseÔÇØ one another which may, depending on depth of relationship, expand to knowing if they are in danger or are injured. Visual Range is anything within line of sight, unless they are actively blocking communication. (purposely not listening)
Addendum:
1. True/Heart names, being magical in nature, can only be given by the owner of the name. Thus, someone would be unable to tell person A, person B's true-name to person C.
[tabs: The Raising of Dragons]
Hatchlings are typically raised from a distance until they are able to surmount their current obstacles in life. This means making sure that they have adequate food and water and making sure that a mental presence is with them constantly. Otherwise, the young dragons are left to their own devices, to explore and play. While this is often-times heart-breaking to a mother dragon when some of her offspring die before truly being able to live, it is believed to be a necessary step for nature to select the best and brightest among those born. Due to this, Dragons will carefully choose or even create a hatching cave that has a natural spring of water as well as dangers to avoid or overcome.
Addendum:
1. Orphaned Dragons - If the parents die after the hatchling has been imprinted but before the hatchling has been raised to become a proper adult dragon, it is possible that this hatchling might be taken in by a mother Dragonet who had just lost her own hatchlings. Sadly, this is typically not the case and most orphaned dragons either die or are forced to raise themselves. Those dragons that survive typically grow up to become formidable Dragons in their own right, though they are also mostly uneducated about much of Dragon-Kind.
2. Hatching to Imprinting - A young Dragon/Dragonet, prior to being imprinted is only semi-intelligent and has not gained true sentience. They live by their most basic instincts, food, water, safety. When any of these are threatened, they will not hesitate to kill or defend themselves. The moment of being Imprinted, they attain a higher level of sentience which is something of a "coming to age" ritual. Their memories of their time up until this point are vague and unable to be recalled as easily. It is the mothers, who are ever watchful and ever present who must live with the memories of what happened during this stage of their lives.
3. Sizes of Dragons - A hatchling is roughly 2' long when first hatched; but over several weeks, assuming adequate amounts of food is provided, rabidly grow in size. Due to this Rapid size changing, their scales are not as hardened as an adult dragon and are able to be killed with relative ease. As long as they have a steady diet of fresh meat, hatchlings are about 5' by the end of the first month after hatching. Some time after the first month, growing slows, and their scales harden somewhat in order to provide increased defenses against a hostile environment. At this point, young dragons still grow much faster than adults, but at a slower scale than before. By the end of the first year a dragon is about 10' long. A dragon's body continues to grow around 1 foot per year until they reach 50 years (~50' long from tip of snout to tail tip). At this point their bodies growth rate slows to until they turn 100 (~65' long), after which their growth rate slows to a crawl. A dragon's tail is almost twice as long as it's body.
[tabs: The Seven]
The Seven who have become legends in their own right were the first seven male dragons through which all dragons can be traced back to.
The Seven were: Piros (Red - The Dying Light), Turun (Orange), Altin (Yellow - The Golden Sun), Verdin (Green - The Hunter), Kamidra (Blue - Winters Fury), Cham (Indigo), Unga (Violet).
[tabs: The Unknown]
If the parents die before a hatchling has been imprinted, the hatchling is typically left to die or survive on its own, this is because it does not have a true name. Though rare that such a thing would happen, these dragons are known as "The Unknown". These dragons are not something that dragon-kind likes to talk about and there existence would not be readily known about. What is known about "the Unknown" is that these dragons, if they are able to survive, are nothing more than semi-intelligent animals due to their lack of a true name. These dragons are incredibly dangerous and will kill anything and everything, they live only by the desire to fill their basic needs of sleeping, drinking and eating.
[tabs: ][/tabs]

Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am, edited 22 times in total.

Quarg

Re: OOC/LORE for The Age of Dragons

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:42 am

This is a tracking post...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:23 pm

A few things to note prior to my first post in a few minutes. I would like you to pick your own heart/true names, and feel free to keep them to yourselves until you need them. Or we can assume they exist and don't need to actually make any up.

As for abilities, we're not there yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

Feel free to post, ask questions, etc....

I'll be starting in the year 1000, and time will adjust as it moves along. Any questions for me, just ask.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:52 pm

What happens if you tell someone's true name to somebody else?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Good question, I hadn't thought of that and, I am kind of making up Lore as I go along, but then planning on sticking to it once it has been placed in writing...which is why I would like to encourage you to ask these questions..so thank you burns.

True names, given they are able to create a magical bond of commitment between dragons, are themselves magically binding. Meaning that the only person who can give away a true name, is the one who it belongs to. It's almost not a name, but a feeling.

Also, though i forgot to do it, I will place the player tabs into the game and add various bits of information to it, like who your mother is and maybe information you might know or relationships you have, etc

Also burns, you have no siblings among the seven, so you don't need to feel the need to speak before anyone else, as there is only you and your mother.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:11 pm

I have plenty more odd questions where that came from.

Since our mothers give our true name, does that mean we will be bonded with our mothers? Was kora embarrassed because she only had one child or some other reason? Was there any mother dragons without childreb? Since humans only have one name would it be possible to connect to them without telling them our trye name? Can one accidently give away a trye bame to another? Like chuldreb dragons accidently blurting out thier name? What woyld happen if names are accidently given. What happens when bastard dragons gave children? Wgat if those childreb have bastard children?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:26 pm

So, there are many of your questions that I wont answer because they would reveal backstory and or mysteries within this universe that I have prepared for you to discover if you dig deep enough.

- Children are naturally bonded with their mothers and only death will break that bond.
- Stories tell of dragons connecting with humans by giving them their true name allowing them to communicate mentally with each other from afar. (Afar being a relative term used loosely).
- True names, being what they are, ....it is within the instinct of a dragon not to give it away lightly...so, deep inside, they know that it isn't something to be given lightly, which avoids "accidentally telling everyone in the world at a dinner party when you're drunk" :)
- Dragons acted a lot like the kings and queens of the world, in which marriage (or life mates) was the only way to create legitimate children. Also, if you read the Hierarchy Lore tab, you'll learn that there was, at one time, a pecking order...which is why, not having bastards was important. Dragons have children out of life-mated status all the time, and those bastards go on to have their own bastards...it happens...but it's frowned upon and typically, or at least at one time, bastards were put to death because they had no legitimacy. The last 1000 years, seeing the decline of Dragons as the Lords of everything has caused a lot of these traditions of old to come to a screeching halt.

As you can imagine, only having children who are legitimate, and only having them very slowly and allowing them to kill each other or die may end up in actual dragons born being around 2-3, even though 6 eggs are produced. When the Dragons were all-mighty, they had time on their side and there were plenty of dragons to go around. Now, times are harder and dragons have found that they must do what they have to in order to survive as a species.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:04 pm

How smart are baby dragons? Like do they know large words like embarrassed?

Edit: i guess i should have specified but it has a blue/green sheen like a duck wing. In the dark it would look black but in light would simmer somewhat. a duck for comparison

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:29 pm

So... erm, who of us was the black one that got to eat first every time?

And... the names that our mothers told us, were those the true names of them?

Who was the one that fell off the ledge? I mean apparently it wasn't a player, but do we know whether they were a sibling to any of us?

What about the stillborn ones, will we learn whose eggs they were?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Burns: I would say that baby dragons are semi-intelligent if not perhaps the smartest..though at the same time, you can play this however you would like. Quarg for instance is stringing together fairly low-level wordplay skills. Which is completely acceptable to me.

Gathers: So instead of just having exactly 7 born, I started with 12 eggs..and what I wanted to show or express is that life from birth to adult for dragons isn't perfect, babies die, some aren't even born, some die through accidents soon after birth and still others are killed by their own nest mates.

I tried to be as descriptive as I could with your given colors so that you would know what was going on. I also used the personalities that you gave me to describe those moments as best I could. Spider used the personality of "Hangry"...which typically means intense anger whilst hungry. So, I used this within the confines of the story to not only kill one of the other hatchlings, but also give him an edge over who gets to eat first, to make things interesting.

So, the one that fell off the ledge was another one of the unknown children, they are unnamed as well. As for if they were siblings or not, the only ones who actually know which child died were the mothers themselves. The question of "Did your children not make it" would be a huge asshole thing to say to your own mother. So, let's assume that that is a mystery that may never be known.

So, when the mothers "impressed" upon the minds of their children, this was my attempt at expressing them giving you your true name. though, as I mentioned, I would rather allow each of you to come up with your own, only because I don't need more things to keep track of, as well as not wanting to accidentally give you a stupid name. The other option being that True Names, though the they exist within this world, never need to be created and can exist as an unspoken word instead. Meaning that instead of saying "Hey random stranger, my true name is Shamalamalam" You would simply express that "You tell the random stranger your true name"....though this removes some of the depth of the game, it makes it easier to remember everything. You can simply assume, (And I can add a line in your tabs) that you are currently "connected" to your mother and siblings (But the siblings only if you want to)

Also, a small note - the "Presence" that you felt as children, though separate entities, you would have had no idea that they were indeed different for each of you until you met your mothers.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Have dragons adopted other dragon's kids before? Like say for some unfortunate circumstance, both the mother and father has been killed one way or another.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:08 pm

There are two situations that develop when the parents of a young hatchling die.
1. If the parents die before the hatchling has been imprinted, the hatchling is typically left to die or survive on its own, this is because it does not have a true name. Though rare that such a thing would happen, these dragons are known as "The Unknown". These dragons are not something that dragon-kind likes to talk about and there existence would not be readily known about.
2. If the parents die after the hatchling has been imprinted but before the hatchling has been raised to become a proper adult dragon, it is possible that this hatchling might be taken in by a mother Dragonet who had just lost her own hatchlings. Sadly, this is typically not the case and most orphaned dragons either die or are forced to raise themselves.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:31 am

So... Given that baby dragons are so rare, why was the Hangry one allowed to kill another one of them? That seems like the parents were neglectful; Spider is now playing a murderously bad dragon, or that offspring just aren't that important at this stage of life. It seems from the lore you posted that this should have been a terrible thing that happened with pretty big consequences.

It's just my interpretation of your lore though, I've probably read it wrong :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 am

A fair question thinks, "Raising of Dragons" tab should answer most of your question, but I will elaborate as best I can.

And don't assume that you've read anything wrong, if there is an inconsistency in my Lore I would rather know about it now and attempt to fix it then wait till later when it has a bigger impact on storyline.
Really what it comes down to is a form of Natural Selection.
While it would at first seem neglectful of the parents to Allow: 1. The one dragon to fall off the ledge and 2. The other to be killed by Spider (He's fine with being a murderer), it is in fact part of a time honored tradition to allow the strongest to survive until they are given true names. This ensures that weak or otherwise unintelligent dragons do not make it to adulthood which actually ends up protecting all of dragonkind more than it hurts them.

A dragon lacking common sense may attack a village and then lead them back to a clan nest causing all of them to die. A weak dragon may become captured or enticed by humans or another race and become enslaved by them.

In all of these situations, DragonKind wants to make sure that the dragons that come from the hatching caves are strong enough and smart enough to survive on their own if they must.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:16 am

Ok, fair enough :) thanks!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:23 am

Also, before a dragon is given their true-name, they are considered....not much more than animals, so the loss of one prior to being imprinted is not so great as losing one which has been imprinted.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 am

But a baby killer dragon...(who kills other baby dragons) would then learn that the way to get what they want is to kill other dragons...with inevitable consequences later in life...unless there is something relating to long term memory and imprinting...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 am

So, prior to being imprinted...Dragons are...kind of like semi-intelligent animals... in which their only desire is to meet their basic needs. Being imprinted is similar to gaining sentience. This is why dragons who aren't imprinted "The Unknown" are so dangerous...because they are little more than animals.

Spiders Personality trait of "Hangry" dictated that he would kill if something got between him and his food. But killing due to instinctual hunger is different than killing for whatev's...at least in my book. (Not that I'm saying if you're starving you should kill someone of course, just that, within their world, it's something that happens. Your dragons would remember your upbringing until this point somewhat, but it would all be rather vague, much like toddler memories for humans are almost completely unable to be remembered.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:13 am

Quarg wrote:But a baby killer dragon...(who kills other baby dragons) would then learn that the way to get what they want is to kill other dragons...with inevitable consequences later in life...unless there is something relating to long term memory and imprinting...
So you're dictating that I'm destined for a life of murdering other dragons? Fine, if that's what you want, I can play him as a sociopathic killer... could have been racked with guilt and shame over letting his hunger get the better of him...

There are plenty of animal examples of the slow or weak members of a litter or clutch being killed by siblings, in some cases even consumed, or at least excluded to their detriment and eventual death. In a litter of nursing mammals (such as pigs), there is often a runt that is not able to push his way in to suckle, as his siblings claim first right and he can't get food, so grows slower, in some cases dying. The sow often does nothing to deter this, from my experience. Spider hatchlings will often kill and cannibalize smaller siblings in addition to whatever other food they find.

And the black may not even have shared any kinship with my dragon, other than being of the same species. I'm fine with having killed another (NPC) dragon, I think it does a fair bit to establish that these are DRAGONS and exist under a different set of morals than the humans that inhabit this world. We are proud and ancient, and are going to have to fight to retain our current position in the world, much less regain our old. The unknown black didn't deserve to be part of dragonkind.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:25 am

Now now, no one is calling anyone a sociopathic killer...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

Technically, you did the killing, I'm just going along with it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 pm

1) My point was more towards memory of the Dragons from an early age and Dragon civilization health in the long term.

And there is no problem with it OOC (IC if Cyrano does remember he will obviously have a protective bent both for himself and his sister against the charcoal)

And yes I am well aware of all of the less intelligent species that invariably practice infanticide by neglect, cannibalism, etc as an instinct derived from evolutionary change which maximizes racial vigor (at least against themselves).

But there is obviously possible consequences long term for a highly intelligent species to allow that type of behavior in early stage natalism

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:29 pm

My dragon would benefit from therapy. His fierce protectiveness will likely eventually extend to the rest of the hatchlings... as long as they don't try to take food from him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Charcoal. Doesn't. Share. Food!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 pm

I do hope that I don't need to tell any of you that...1st, I have nothing against any of you particularly, so the story line is not picking on you...it's more of a "falling into it" and second, there are things hinted at, that the "mother" is thinking, which would be considered meta to you, but it should help to elaborate on some of the story line. Obviously, attempting to act on meta knowledge is frowned upon.

Thanks