Fallout: Settlers (Year: 2277) - Open to Most

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Fallout: Settlers (Year: 2277) - Open to Most

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Fallout: Settlers
This game is set in the Fallout Universe, is open to everyone and is a voting styled game similar to the CIV games by Aegis. Players take on the role of guiding the survivors of Vault 50 into this wasteland of a new world via options that can be voted on.

GMs: This game is a collaboration in efforts by Spider-Wrangler and Badge-Addict. It is an attempt to take something that we both have a passion for and turn it into something that can be enjoyed in a Forum Setting.

Things you should know:
1. Players have 3 votes in which to cast on a series of 5+ options and may cast 1 vote per option.
a. Available dwellers will be assigned to work on tasks based on voting response.
b. Dwellers will be assigned proportionally among voted tasks. (meaning that all tasks voted for will happen, but depending on how much of the population is involved may determine whether it succeeds or fails.)
2. After voting in 5 turns, you may acquire a character.
3. Characters can perform actions for their character each turn as well as create new voting options (one new voting option per player per turn).
4. There are 4 turns per year, each turn = 3 months.
5. Food and Water: (measured in Units), a person must consume 1 unit of Food/Water in a 3 month span. You begin the game with 3,000 Food/Water units.
6. Defenses: Contained within the vault is a small arsenal of weapons, these are available to the people to be used to defend yourself against the things that may attack you.
7. Adventure: Much like in the game, Once you create a character you are able to explore and generally do your own thing.
8. Population: There are currently 72 adults ranging in age 19-56, and 20 boys and girls under 18.
9. Resources: The creators of the vault had prepared for the day that humans would return to the surface. The vault consists of many resources and materials for the building of a town above ground. Sadly those resources and materials were being stored in level 5...which is flooded, meaning you'll need to scrounge around to find materials to use.

Current Year: 2277

Incoming Situations:
n/a

The Situation:
IN THE 21ST CENTURY, WAR WAS STILL WAGED OVER THE RESOURCES THAT COULD BE ACQUIRED. ONLY THIS TIME, THE SPOILS OF WAR WERE ALSO ITS WEAPONS: Petroleum and Uranium. For these resources, China would invade Alaska, the US would annex Canada, and the European Commonwealth would dissolve into quarreling, bickering nation-states, bent on controlling the last remaining resources on Earth.

In 2077, the storm of world war had come again. In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of nuclear devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise.

A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground Vaults. You were part of that group that entered Vault 50. Imprisoned safely behind the large Vault door, under a mountain of stone, several generations have lived without knowledge of the outside world.

Life in the Vault is about to change.
In the Year 2277, an explosion ripped through the Vault, damaging the Main Reactor and breaching the wall on level 3 that held back the water of the lake. In an attempt to save the Vault, the Computer sealed off levels 3-5, but by the time blast doors closed, the damage had already been done. Levels 4 and 5 were almost completely flooded by the radioactive water of the lake and 157 people had died, the majority of them by drowning. The explosion had not only damaged the main reactor, it had also flooded the farms in level 4 and damaged the water filtration system.

Thankfully the backup Reactor on level 2 was undamaged, however it was unable to meet the exacting demands of the entire vault. One by One, the Computer shut down all of the tertiary systems throughout the vault, in an effort to preserve what little power remained. When all tertiary systems had been shut down, secondary systems followed until finally only primary systems remained. Having finally returned power levels to the new normal, the Computer found that it had enough power resources left over to power one additional system.

Realizing that the survival of the dwellers of the vault relied on their ability to return to the surface, the Computer began the steps of unlocking the Vault door.

Voting Options: (Choose 3)
A) Choose which System to turn on, pick one from the provided list.
B) Send a group of dwellers to explore the world outside of the vault
C) Send a group of dwellers to determine the extent of damage done to levels 4 - 5
D) Send a group of dwellers outside to scavenge for building materials
E) Send a group of dwellers outside to scavenge for Food/Water
F) Assign a group of dwellers to patrol and stand watch
G) Send a group of dwellers out of the Vault to begin the construction of above ground structures

Systems that can be powered: (Additional systems will be as added as needed/thought of)
1. Vault defenses - (Increased ability to successfully defend vault against enemies
2. Health Services - (Decreases chance for Dwellers to die due to critical failures)
3. Bar & Lounge - (Allows dwellers to relieve some stress), (increased chance of baby making)
4. Research Labs - (Increases chance for success when attempting to create/discover new stuff)
5. Barracks/Armory - (Allows for the creation of new or customized weapons using scavenged resources)
6. School - (Gives a +1 INT increase to the stats of Children who attend)
7. Material Reclamation and Recycling (Turn collected scrap into base materials)
8. Workshop - (Decreases time needed to combine base materials into parts)
9. Water Filtration - (Needs to be repaired first)
10. Hydroponic Farms - (Needs to be repaired first)
11. Antenna Array - (Needs to be repaired first)

*As this is the first time either of us have run this type of game, I would ask that you give us patience and time and we will do our best to make this an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Fallout: Settlers (Year: 2277)

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Just a note on how voting will work in this game, and how the efforts of the dwellers will be assigned. It was mentioned above, but I thought it would be worth mentioning again and providing an illustrative example. ANYTHING that receives at least one vote will have workers assigned, in proportion to how many votes it got out of the total.

In this update, that would not apply to Option A, since the energy reserves can only power one system, majority will rule.

For the other Options B-G, we currently have 16 votes logged:

B) = 2 = 12.5%
C) = 5 = 31.25%
D) = 2 = 12.5%
E) =2 = 12.5%
F) = 4 = 25%
G) =1 = 6.25%

Were voting to end now, that would mean that of the 72 available adult dwellers, 23 would get to work on heading into the vault to check on the lower levels, 18 would stand watch and patrol the entrance to the vault, 9 would go exploring the surrounding wasteland, 9 would begin scavenging for building materials in the waste, 9 would go looking for Food/Water, and 4 would begin working on constructing shelter above ground.

I wanted to illustrate this point just to say that since we aren't only taking the top 3 voted options, your perceived priority list might not be the best place to use your 3 votes. If you feel strongly about one option but it is already well supported, you might want to shift your votes to other options. Alternately, if you feel there is an option that needs many bodies working on it to succeed, you may want to make sure to support it.

You also don't NEED to vote 3 times if you wish...
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Votes: A (6), B, F
► Show Spoiler

Also, what would be needed to repair the farms etc., since that is not a option?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:04 pm

A (2), C, d

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:09 pm

A(2),E,F

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:43 am

C, G, F
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:34 am

@Gathers: Not only are Systems 9, 10 & 11 damaged, but you'll need to put some effort into finding out what is wrong with them prior to fixing them...we'll get there with the options, I promise

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:00 am

((We'll be closing the first round of voting at midnight on Friday, so if you haven't voted, you'll have another 60 hours to pick three options!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 am

B, C and D
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 am

As it was useful in the civ game here is a quick tally

A)
-2 Health service (Thinks, Arch,Pat) = 3
-6 School(Gathers) =1
B) (Gathers, Theis) = 2
C)(Arch, Runs, Theis, Pat) = 4
D) (Arch, Theis) = 2
E) (Thinks, Pat) =2
F) (Thinks, Runs) = 2
G)(Runs) =1
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 am

A(1) C F
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:01 am

oy, pat, you lost my F vote! :P

A)
-2 Health service (Thinks, Arch,Pat, asks) = 4
-6 School(Gathers) =1
B) (Gathers, Theis) = 2
C)(Arch, Runs, Theis, Pat, asks) = 5
D) (Arch, Theis) = 2
E) (Thinks, Pat) =2
F) (Thinks, Runs, Gathers, asks) = 4
G)(Runs) =1
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:50 am

Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm

C, D, F

(Going with investigation of Vault, an eye out for danger, and start scavenging for repair before getting stuck in to fixing/rebuilding.)
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Code: Select all

Incoming Message....
::V50-A25-5-M2277-0052::
Advised Priority:
Defense
Determine External Threats
Determine Internal Damage
Locate Repair Materials
Currently our vote is for
B
D
F

To get about
B-10
C-20
D-13
E-6
F-20
G-3
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 am

As we've received such a great response, we'll be closing voting at Noon EST on fridays from here on out so that we can get a start on updating prior to the weekend starting.

Thanks,
SpiderAddict

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Voting for the second quarter of year 2277 is now closed, and we'll have results and another round of voting options up in the next few days!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:05 am

Ah too late. Sorry, had a busy last week and then directly went into short holidays. Almost no free time to log in and check, especially after about 10 days nothing happened in any of the games I was in until this one started. But hey, I played a bit Fallout 1 on my smartphone, so at least I practiced for this game a bit. :D

A - 2
C
F
would have been my vote. Care for damage on inside before going out.
:zzz:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:12 am

2277.25-2277.5
Health services was a relatively easy choice for the computer to make, as the citizens would need a place to recuperate should they run into anything....nasty, when they explored the world above. The Autodoc's came to life, ready to serve their human residents once more, their robotic appendages whirling with newfound life. The citizens were relieved to know that this amount of normalcy would remain, as when the explosion had happened and the systems had shut down, they were worried as to what might happen to the children who were almost of age.
As the great vault door was unsealed, the Computer began to send out orders to the dwellers. Citizens were sent out in all manner of directions for a variety of tasks. A group of 10 dwellers were allocated to explore the world outside of the vault door. Using maps of the world before the great war, the Computer directed the dwellers toward various landmarks, in the hopes that some of these locations might still be intact or at the very least can be scavenged for parts. A group of 20 dwellers would be sent below to the damaged levels 4 and 5 in the hopes of determining the extent of the damage, as any sensors and cameras that had once been under the Computers controls were now dark. A group of 13 dwellers were to were sent out to scavenge building materials (BM) so that buildings could be built, allowing the dwellers to expand out onto the surface of this new world. A group of 7 dwellers were sent out to scavenge the world for Food and water, as what resources the vault had would be used up after a time. A group of 20 dwellers were to begin to patrol the entrance to the vault, in an effort to keep any nasty critters or mutated beasties away from the vault and its pureness. Lastly, a group of 2 dwellers would be sent to begin construction of above ground structures.

The Vault Door eased open, and a group of vault dwellers were shuttled to the surface via the large in-ground elevator. The light of the sun seemed, so much brighter than the lights that lit up their small world below. Other than the maps that they were given, which had been uploaded into their PIP-BOYS, they had no personal experience with this new world above ground. As this first group stepped out from under the giant statue that had sat atop the entrance to the vault, they found themselves on an island, surrounded by murky water on all sides. A half-ruined bridge connected their island to another island and from there, another bridge connected that island to the bombed out ruins of a small town that had seen better days. They found themselves quite lucky, as the island that was their home would be relatively easy to defend once such defenses were erected, or so they thought.

The first group on the surface, consisting of 20 dwellers, began to set up a defensive perimeter and began to patrol along the bridges. Their meager supply of weapons, 6 guns and 6 bats, were given to them so that they might protect themselves from the dangers of the wasteland. Regardless of the demands made by the Computer, these dwellers were not fighters or guards and the first three months of life outside of the vault was difficult. Where inside there was always safety, this was a cruel world, and these men and women learned that lesson quickly. Luckily for them, the island, being so difficult to get onto, meant that there were few creatures that had made their way here, unless of course they were chasing fresh meat.

Using the maps that the computer had given them, the 10 dwellers that made up the group charged with exploring set out from the vault to explore the small town in the hopes that a few of the landmarks that the computer had told them about still existed. The party quickly fell into trouble as the moment they initially crossed the second bridge and started in the direction of the town as two groups of strange deformed groundhogs (Mole rats) burst from the ground and began attacked them. They ran back toward the vault, only to be rescued by the patrol group who fired more rounds than were needed to bring the creatures down. This happened on several occasions over those first three months, exploring a little and then fleeing back to be saved by the patrol. Over the course of the season, they fled 3 times, but were able to spot 5 different groups of creatures in advance and avoid them. Almost every foray into the unknown led to the discovery of a new building or location that was mostly intact. In all they found: A few intact houses along the shore, The remains of a strip mall, a storage rental location and a vets office. The island that they were on had nearly 50 houses on it, or did at one time, now all but 1 or 2 of them lay in ruins. Connected to the south of the island was a marina containing a multitude of broken boats which lay half in and half out of the nasty water. To the east, off the back of the island, the explorers could see another island, all by itself, but with no way to get there, they simply made note of its existence. Due to the ever increasing signs of danger, the exploration team didn't get very far into the town this season. During one such foray into the unknown, one of the dwellers was bitten by a bug and suffered 1 point of radiation.

The exploration group kept the scavenging groups up to date on what they found, and using this information, the group looking for Building Materials took a closer look at the locations that the exploration group discovered. Though there was an abundance of material to be found, the 13 dwellers quickly realized that they could only move so quickly and haul so much. The group started to dismantle the homes on the island in which the vault was located, but even this was slow going. The BMs that could be found on the island weren't anything special, but there was enough metal available to get the community started. Even on the island, safe as they thought they were, enemies were to be found, mostly of the flying variety. Each time such enemies were encountered, the group would flee back to the vault, and the patrol group used their weapons to shoot or beat the enemies to death. This also cut into the amount of time that was able to be spent collecting BMs and by the end of the season, the BM group had little to show for their efforts. Hoping to find materials that were more portable, the group went to explore the houses along the shore. Not being careful about the amount of noise that they created while searching the house, they alerted a raider to their presence, who wounded one of the dwellers for 2 HP when they fled. The raider chased them, but was then shot down by a well placed rifle round by one of the patrol. On the Raiders body they discovered: a crude pistol, a rusty knife, battered leather armor and what appears to be a small bottle cap collection . Perhaps even Raiders have their hobbies. In total, the group found 23 units of building materials, and 60 units of scrap.

The group in charge of food/water collection had the best of luck as any of them when it came to finding new resources and the worst of luck when it came to enemies protecting those resources. With barely any effort on their parts, they found a truck whose painting had long faded, carrying several massive plastic jugs of sealed water. In their elation they began to celebrate loudly, cheering and shouting for joy. Their noise woke up a pack of wild dogs, who ran at them and attacked them viciously, nipping at their heels all the way back to the vault entrance. Three dwellers were badly hurt in the attack and had to be sent to the health clinic and were ordered to bed rest until their wounds recovered completely. The remaining 4 dwellers returned to their searchings and other than finding a few cans of spoiled meat or beans, were not as successful in their searching. One of the dwellers, intrigued by a can of meat, opened it and ate it, giving himself 2 point of Radiation. In total the group found 43 units of water and 12 units of irradiated food.

The two dwellers who were sent out of the vault to begin building structures tried not to be discouraged by their lack of numbers and did their best to build...at least something. Even though a steady supply of BMs were coming in due to the other group who was finding them, the two of them found that two men was not enough for their task. Instead of building anything, they redirected their energy to clearing the area around the vault so that building, once it truly commenced, would be faster. The Patrol was happy with their efforts, as it created a wider area around the vault that could be seen from atop the statue, which had become a crude lookout tower. In total they built 0 structures.

The most important task to the computer was discovering what had happened to levels 4 and 5 after the explosion and subsequent flooding. The 20 dwellers were sent down the stairs leading to the lower levels, as the elevator for floors 1-5 needed to be powered to operate, along with 7 rad-suits in the hopes of discovering the extent of damages. Over the course of the 3 months, it was discovered that the majority of level 4 was completely washed out. All of the plants that had been planted were destroyed, along with all of the equipment that had been created to grow them. About 1 foot of radioactive water covered the floors and it was quickly noticed that it appeared as though the 5th floor was completely flooded. One of the dwellers found an a few intact storage cabinets labeled "seeds", but as he opened one of them and picked up a bag of seeds in order to look at them closer, he slipped and fell, ruining them as soon as they touched the water. It was decided that the other cabinets should remain closed until the water situation was somehow taken care of. Even with the team of 20 alternating often and using the rad-suits for all trips into level 4, all 20 were exposed to radiation, resulting in a accumulation of 151 rads among all of them. During their inspection of damages, they discovered that the room on level 3 that was the source of the breach also contained the water filter. Without the ability to go into the room, due to the existence of the breach, it was impossible to find out if the water filter could be repaired. In total, they discovered that the Farms were 95% destroyed, Water filter was unreachable, and the power core was inaccessible.

Voting Options:
  1. Power a different System (currently Health Services)
    1. Health Services - (Decreases chance for Dwellers to die due to critical failures)
    2. Vault defenses - (Increased ability to successfully defend vault against enemies
    3. Bar & Lounge - (Allows dwellers to relieve some stress), (increased chance of baby making)
    4. Research Labs - (Increases chance for success when attempting to create/discover new stuff)
    5. Barracks/Armory - (Allows for the creation of new or customized weapons using scavenged resources)
    6. School - (Gives a +1 INT increase to the stats of Children who attend at least 6 years)
    7. Material Reclamation and Recycling (Turn collected scrap into base materials)
    8. Workshop - (Decreases time needed to combine base materials into parts)
    9. Kitchen - (Remove radiation from food/water(1 unit of Food/Water per month))
    10. Water Filtration - (Breach needs to be sealed first)
    11. Hydroponic Farms - (water needs to be drained)
    12. Antenna Array - (Needs to be found)
  2. Task the Health Services system with healing/removing rads from the affected Vault dwellers (This will not happen if this System is turned off)
  3. Manually reclaim and recycle building scrap into building materials
  4. Research a method to remove water from lower levels.
  5. Send a group of dwellers outside to scavenge for building materials
  6. Send a group of dwellers outside to scavenge for Food/Water
  7. Assign a group of dwellers to patrol and stand watch
  8. Send a group of dwellers out of the Vault to begin the construction of above ground structures
    1. Construct Houses
    2. Construct Defensive Structures
    3. Construct a wall

*Voting will end around Noon EST this Friday.

.[tabs: Food and Water]
    Food:
    3000 clean units - 92 units + 12 irradiated units = 2908 clean units + 12 irradiated units

Water:
    3000 clean units - 92 units + 43 units= 2951 clean units

[tabs: Armory]
    Ranged Weapons:
    • 10mm pistol (x3)
    • .308 rife (x3)
    • crude pistol (x1)

Melee Weapons:
    • baseball bat (x3)
    • rusty knife (x1)

Clothing/Armor:
    • "Vault 50" vault suit (x374)
    • Armored vault suit (x7)
    • Rad-suit (x7)
    • Battered leather armor (x1)

[tabs: Building Supplies]
    Building Scrap:
    + 60 units= 60 units

Building Materials:
    + 23 units= 23 units

[tabs: Miscellaneous]
    • A bag with 14 bottle caps in it... worthless for building much of anything out of...
[/tabs]
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:29 am

B, d, f

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am

Er when does the next round of voting close?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:02 am

Somehow when I posted this, it blew up the forum, look in the upper righthand of the post where my avatar should be....that's where it is for me...I'm not sure why it's doing this.

Noon est 2/26/16

Nerre
Game Master

Re: Fallout: Settlers (Year: 2277) - Open to All

Post by Nerre » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Edit: Removed by myself after I noticed RocketScientists post.
Last edited by Nerre on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
:zzz:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Vote:

B, G, H (defensive sturctures)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Fallout: Settlers (Year: 2277) - Open to All

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:58 pm

[mod="RocketScientist"]Nerre and Gathers are not allowed to both play in the same game. Since it's first come, first serve, Nerre, I'm afraid you will have to bow out.[/mod]