The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Speaking about spells, I'm not quite sure yet which ones I'll be picking for level 3, and whether or not I'll exchange a spell for another one... Spider, can I exchange a lvl 1 spell for a level 2 one?

Anyways, I don't think I necessarily need a damaging spell, because I have two that can also be used as level 2 if necessary to increase their damage somewhat... I was thinking about taking either suggestion or phantasmal force- Both seem like the kind of ability that could solve a lot of problems as long as you're inventive enough. (Also, is the target "aware" of suggestion after it's completion?)

Leaning towards suggestion for now, but curious to hear what you guys think/have your own suggestions, because I'm still a scrub when it comes to D&D. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Yes, you can swap out a spell for any spell your have slot levels for.

Suggestion and phantasmal force are both fun, my sorcerer/warlock has both, though we've not had a RL campaign session with that group since the DM has been on cop rotations and hasn't had Saturdays free.

I'd have to check the wording of suggestion to answer whether they are aware... I don't think I've used it outside combat, so it has functioned mostly to remove someone nasty from being an immediate threat... Then they died after we finished the underlings.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 pm

It doesn't say they aren't aware, and the wording says the suggestion must be phrased so as to sound "reasonable". My interpretation would be that they are fully aware of you making the suggestion, but wouldn't necessarily be aware that you cast a spell on them. Friends and Charm person are explicit in that the target knows they have been manipulated magically. Suggestion doesn't say any such thing.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah, I'm mostly asking because the actual text doesn't at all specify whether or not it doesn't:
► Show Spoiler
Digging a bit deeper though, it appears the general consensus is that the target is unaware of it, mostly backed up by this little piece from the players handbook:
Targets

Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature might not know it was targeted by a spell at all. An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creatureÔÇÖs thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.
So I'd say that, if successful, they usually shouldn't be aware afterwards. I suppose on failure, some people with a high enough arcana(?) could probably figure out that I was trying to give a suggestion. It seems a bit up to the DM (your) interpretation, even if that is a box of worms I don't want to open... :roll:

I suppose we might as well get this out of the way now, even though we might never get in a situation where it's relevant. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:15 pm

If possible say that the more 'reasonable' the request, and the less it conflicts with their motivations and / or worldview, the less likely they would be to question the suggestion. If you ask them to do something outlandish they may be more likely to question why they listened to you in the first place. So to me, if you intend them to let after, it would be a spell that rewards a bit of a subtle touch.

eg:

"Hello, guard. I'm in plainclothes, and have been sent to replace you, so you should go home now.", more likely that they don't think a lot of it, and/or delude themselves when they get chewed out the next day.

"Hello guard, strip naked and parade around the town square with 'I love ogres!' painted on your chest." Certainly entertaining, but more likely that they realize something was up after it fades.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Sooo...Is (giant) vulture still on the list of animals I can shape shift to later? Because at the time I was not aware Maji gets powers from eatting the flesh of his enemies, and I think he avoided vulture due to possible disease.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Could we have had stuff identified last night?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm

By who?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 am

I think Badge means just us taking turns to make an arcana check on the different items we've gotten.

Did we ever come to a consensus of how much money each of us should have now?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 am

Yes

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:44 am

BadgeAddict wrote:8800 CP = 1,100
13600 SP = 1,700
2041 GP = 250
1380 GP of gems = 170

For a total of: 601 Gold Each

Dwarf gets:
42 Copper
258 Silver
41 GP
20 GP of gems

^Unless someone thinks that's giving the Dorf too much.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 am

I thought one of us had the identity spell.

But yes, we could have each given our shot of Arcana on all of the items and maybe gotten some of them all the way identified.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

Nemeia wouldn't have spent the evening studying when she could have been enjoying herself, so she wouldn't have examined anything.

As far as she's concerned, they're taking stuff back to town to get identified and the centaurs are more interesting.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 am

Thinking about it, Ulmwin might have had tried to figure out what his ring does while camping, but that'd probably be the extent of it, yeah.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 am

Based on how sneaky these Centaurs are...I'm guessing that these bandits are gonna get demolished. Should the Dorf stay with us on the road?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am

The Elemental Evil sourcebook is available from WotC as a legit pdf download. I may allow some number of spells to be chosen from it, on a case by case basis.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 am

Waiting to see how initial conversation goes, but I might try and throw in one of my own rolls as well... Assuming things don't go straight south.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 am

Well..this is zephyr, if he thinks she's bluffing, she might just whip out her sword and charge....That is her M.O. after all.

She's currently showing a ton of restraint.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am

Sorry for quietness been busy or ill recently will try to make a post a bit later once I've read and caught up.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 am

That was hard to get that post up, kept getting one post after the other preventing it >.<
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 am

Do note the edit spider because I missed a word in my last post. :roll:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 am

I would apologize but that would make it sound like I wouldn't do it again if this same situation would come up so I guess I won't apologize

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 am

*sigh* We were getting in position.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 am

And technically you should have been in position already. I mean, Counting coins as slowly as she was should have been several "turns" worth of time. I was a bit confused because if a turn is 3 seconds, then I think she distracted them for a good minute 30 seconds at least. But, Spider will do it however he wants to obviously.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 am

We were we can't nessicarly help the rate our characters move, espessially those on different time lines.