The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

If I had a dollar for every time someone started whinging about anticipating needing to make a new character... Burns and Badge would have earned me a pizza and 6pk of beer at least. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 am

So question- Is Ulmwin aware of the other group having difficulty getting in on the other side of the room? Ulmwin might shift his efforts to taking out at least the vine blight blocking the path so they can come in and help flank, but if he isn't aware, his efforts would likely shift elsewhere...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am

SW party, taking out that vineman should be our biggest priority.

Second option is retreating down the hallway (I'm thinking the tree cannot follow) and making our way around to the other group.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

Eh, I respectfully disagree- If it's easy enough to help take out one of the NE blights to allow the other group to actually stream in, they can assist us. Second option is really not worth it, imo.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 am

yes, but I hit this vine blight with 9 damage and it didn't kill it. So, you doing the amount of damage you can probably won't kill any of those up there as none of them have been damaged yet (If I remember correctly).

The survival of the SW group somewhat depends on Zephyr being able to continue tanking by taking all of the damage and or attacks which you guys aren't getting.
Not trying to act like I'm Flash Gordon savior of the universe here, but if Zephyr goes down, the rest of you will follow shortly after. Too bad we don't have any sleep spells left.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 am

You can see the light from Rudy's orb, and a vine blight in the doorway and vines all over the floor. I'd say it's reasonable that you would know it's holding them up, even without visual on party members.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 am

It'll be fine, just stick to the plan. Throw the ores and kill the vines while the tanks keep the tree out the way. Once the vines are dead we'll all join in and take this thing down.

Just start throwing stuff :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 am

I'm not planning on shooting a bolt though, I'd be using dissonant whispers. 3d6 damage which admittedly is far from guaranteed to take it out, but would probably help... But additionally, if it fails a wisdom saving throw, it'll be forced to shift away. I'm basically counting on either killing it, or forcing it to shift... Although knowing my luck with the dice, I'll fail both. :roll:

Also, none of us are really in a position to throw rocks (Not to mention, I at least don't have any more rocks to throw), and it'd be outright dangerous to do it in close quarters like this... But if we manage to let the group on top get in, they might be able to...

Although, does killing the vine blight immediately release Nem? Missed that being a thing, so I might do that instead if you guys prefer, since a bolt hit might be enough to have it go down now...

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 am

You are in melee so you might as well stab it to avoid disadvantage from shooting it in melee.

Same amount of damage you deal with your rapier.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 am

Id' probably do that if that's the preferred action, yes... Although that does involve dropping technically Holger's crossbow in the process. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 am

M0rtimer wrote:Although, does killing the vine blight immediately release Nem?
In the past, the vines have persisted beyond the death of the vineblight that called them forth.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:56 am

Damn... Well, any help would be appreciated!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah, someone would need to go actively help Nem... So for now, I'll stick with seeing if I can help the other group get in here and join the fray.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

Woo, the plan worked! Now get in here and help us kill the blights.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 am

Yup! I suppose it might be worth mentioning/reminding that you can help others get out of the vines, its a straight STR check either way, looking to beat a 12.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah I might try that next assuming the vine blight is taken care of. Not that ulmwins own strength is formidable. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 am

I was thinking perhaps more for the upper half of the party, who seems to be as good at breaking free as Tess. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 am

Using the help action would grant advantage, but given my -1 modifier it's probably better if someone just comes and tries to break the vines directly.

Spider, do I have to str check to break free, or can I just attack the vines instead?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 am

The way I've been treating it, is that successful attacks on the vines lower the DC. However, since you're restrained your attacks are at disadvantage.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 am

Ok fair enough.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am

But they are just sitting there, so not like they are too tricky to connect with.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am

Sure. Does it do any damage to the vine blight do we know or does it just affect the DC?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 am

So its death does at least somewhat take down on the DC then though... So If I'm able to kill the vine, it might make it easier for nem to get free on her turn... either way, it's a waste of someones turn to get free....unless...

So, vines are burnable...obviously... once they die, they become...more burnable...and tieflings are fire resistant...so, holger could light the vines on fire once its dead, helping set nem free.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

The entangling vines are separate from the blight.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 am

To be completely honest, I think we are slightly overblowing the need to save Tess... It's a DC 12 check, so she needs to roll 13, or 35% chance... Not odds you should hit, but how many tries can it take to get it? The most logical thing would probably to just keep rolling until she passes while we focus on the blights.... Not that I won't help regardless given the chance considering being stuck is not the most engaging thing. :roll: