Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am

Heh, thanks?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:44 am

You're welcome (I think :? ).

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 am

Do none of you have decent cantrips that do damage?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am

Maji has thornwhip which does a d6. While thunderwave does a decent amount of damage, area of effect and potentially pushes them back.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 am

That'd be nice...better if it could include the big bad..but I understand the desire to hurt and push back the two vines. Maybe putting them closer for a red rock throw.

Note to whoever had the red stone, if it is indeed a fire effect, zephyr is resistant to fire.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am

Randy has the rock, but Maj knows this since he gave it to him. Question is "Does Randy know about Tiefling fire resistance?" I don't think we've ever determined whether that is common knowledge or not. The other question is does the red rock also have blast damage? Won't do her much good to be fireproof if a blast wave smears her like a bug on a windshield.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 am

So you guys think you'll be in a position to pick up the fire gem and throw it..? Because if so, we can go with those 1/2 odds of me using dissonant whispers.

Also, did anyone ever end up taking Ulmwin's potion he offered like three times, or does he still have it after all?

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:28 am

So why didn't Maji cast the spell. As from my understanding of the spell we don't need to get out of the way. Was the vine entangle a reaction?
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am

*As much as I want us to focus all of our attacks on the big bad, taking out those twigs wouldn't be a bad idea either...because if they do hit, they're killing us.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:48 am

Patdragon wrote:So why didn't Maji cast the spell. As from my understanding of the spell we don't need to get out of the way. Was the vine entangle a reaction?
If you're asking from my end, it's because he said he was holding. The vines go after him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:55 am

Ah yeah, there's some assumptions going on here on rereading what they wrote. I'm guessing Arch thought we were in the way.

Hence the sentence will fire the spell once we're out of the way sounded like a hold when we were already out of the way. :wall:
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm

If someone asks 'can I...", I can answer and provide clarification, but I don't want to be in the habit of telling you guys unprompted what your spells and abilities can do, and how you can use them to best effect (I'll certainly chime in on what they can't do, of course). I feel like I've got a decent knowledge of the systems and the different moving parts, but I need to rely on you to each know what your character can do as well or better than I do! :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Ok rules wise then. Is the action still held? If I break out Maji with my action can we get the spell off?

Was planning on finally running in and attacking or healing Randy but...well...getting some damage on both of the vines might just be better???
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 pm

We are also a bit at the mercy of it being a forum, where it would be easier to get clarification on the spot of what the triggering criteria is...

For readying a spell, it is technically cast on your turn, but you are concentrating and keeping the release of the spell on hold until the triggering event. If you then choose to finish casting it, the spell goes off, using your reaction to do so.

A bit of a wonky situation here, and perhaps I ought to have asked for clarification first, so I'm willing to allow Maji to retroactively cast it on his turn, if he so desires. It all depends on spell AoE positioning, so I was assuming Maji had a particular layout in mind and was holding for that purpose, that layout not being yet met wouldn't trigger. Again, would be easy to clarify at a table.

Another factor would be that having taken damage while concentrating on the spell, if he wants to continue to hold it, Maji will have to make a Constitution Saving Throw DC 10 to beat the concentration check. If he beats it, he'd still have concentration, and could cast it if/when the trigger happens.

((What happens to the spell if the trigger doesn't happen is a bit of a grey area for me right now...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Patdragon wrote:Ah yeah, there's some assumptions going on here on rereading what they wrote. I'm guessing Arch thought we were in the way.

Hence the sentence will fire the spell once we're out of the way sounded like a hold when we were already out of the way. :wall:
Thunderwave is an AoE that can hurt and kill you guys. it has a range of 15' and hits all targets. This is why I held the attack.
A bit of a wonky situation here, and perhaps I ought to have asked for clarification first, so I'm willing to allow Maji to retroactively cast it on his turn, if he so desires. It all depends on spell AoE positioning, so I was assuming Maji had a particular layout in mind and was holding for that purpose, that layout not being yet met wouldn't trigger. Again, would be easy to clarify at a table.
I don't want to accidently kill Randy/Rudy. So whatever positioning lets me do that?

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:52 pm

It is a 3x3 cube with one face touching you. It's not a blast centered on you.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Patdragon wrote:It is a 3x3 cube with one face touching you. It's not a blast centered on you.
OOoh! Okay. So maji will stay put where he is on the hallway and blast the blights without hitting coljin?

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm

XXX
XXV
LVXM

M= Maji V =vine L = lantern

That's the way is see the 3x3 working.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Patdragon wrote:It is a 3x3 cube with one face touching you. It's not a blast centered on you.
Generally, yes. It can be a cube containing you if you want it to, but you'd be making the same rolls as everyone else.

"You select a cubeÔÇÖs point of origin, which lies anywhere on a face of the cubic effect. The cubeÔÇÖs size is expressed as the length of each side.
A cubeÔÇÖs point of origin is not included in the cubeÔÇÖs area of effect, unless you decide otherwise."

If you were completely surrounded, this might be worth doing, as it would damage and knock back your enemies.

But Pat's original point is correct, you can place so that it is filling the entire upper corner of the room, with you to the right of the lower right corner, and it would cover both blights, and the planter of little guys, without including any of your companions. If you'd like to do that, roll damage.

:ninja: Yes, Pat's diagram would work.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:03 pm

That makes sense. The description kind of mislead me. Thanks guys!

I tried to roll damage, I really did. But coyote seems to be acting odd.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Do you want me to roll it? It's working fine for me....

*Oh, as Think's said, if you have special characters in the notes, it doesn't like that. I think in particular ' and , have thrown it off for me in the past.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Well...at least the vine near coljin is grappling Maji so it might not be able to make an AoO on Coljin...hopefully.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey, could turn out that the 1 damage they just took is just what is needed at some point!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:20 pm

All that for 1 damage each...sigh... Ok well time for Ruuuudooolllph Jenkins Beaumont.

If i attack the vine grappling Maji now I'd get advantage correct? as I think I can squeeze by Maji and diagonal south to attack it as it's within my move allowance.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Advantage from..?

Maji is considered restrained (attacks on him have advantage), but the blight is not.

*As an update on that blight, by 4e terminology it would be 'bloodied'... or should that be... 'sappied'?... either way, it's taken a few good hits from Randy, but is still on its feet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler