The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 am

While there is a stand off with Holger and Zephyr, Randy checks some stuff out...

He finds the skill one the skeletons that had been knocked free. It's a bit damaged, but it seems like touch off... Looking closer, he notices that the teeth are small, slender, pointed, and curved backwards.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Randy looks a little worried now. "These skeletons. They didn't come from humans. The teeth and bone structure are wrong."

nature: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 pm

The rest of the skull seems relatively humanoid, but you realize that the teeth remind you of those found in some snakes. Not those with venom injecting fangs, but the sort that crush and squeeze their prey to death before swallowing it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm

"Snake people?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Nemeia barely reacts to Randy's concerns and shrugs.

"Krodop said they were causing a fuss in Krelpo out east. Maybe this is one of their old temples. What was it he said? The Church of Ksszeth?" She shrugs again.

"Shame they locked down their valuables so well. So, shall we raise this dias and see what happens?"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

"Not just like that..! Even if the main threat was bringing any of the corpses in the bowl to life, I dare bet that there's going to be some other kind of threat, too."

"Let's surround it first, alright..? Hit whatever might be down there from all sides- If there is."

Ulmwin will stand within ranged distance, with a prepared crossbow bolt.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:37 pm

"There might not be anything down there... Whatever happens might happen once the dias raises fully, and you've emptied it! It doesn't seem like there's any hurry though, so we can wait."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Randy tries to think if he's heard anything useful about the snake people's cult.

religion: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Other than what Kodrop told them, not really.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:35 am

Snake cults were not something that Randy has had to deal with, and if he's ever come across them in his readings, didn't focus a lot on them, perhaps because they were not a known threat in the human baronies and holdings.

((What's happening between Zephyr and Holger? Is Holger just voicing opposition to the plan, or actively trying to stop her? Is Zephyr listening, or proceeding with Operation Gem Smash?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:45 am

Zephyr glowers at Holger. "Step aside. If the plan is to kill whatever foul beast lives here, I want this statue destroyed so that it can't be turned on again and shoot us in the back."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Holger will actively obstruct Zephyr.

"Sounds like a good idea if the foul beasts you are talking about weren't trapped behind a wall till we let them out. Besides we aren't looking at them to appreciate the fine craftsmanship. We are trying to find a good way to disable the statues without needless destruction. But we are also here to figure out what this place is and not just murder whatever creatures happen to be in sight. But if waiting is so horrible, why don't you go to the other statue and try to figure out a way to break off the fangs without wrecking havoc on what is behind the fangs, maybe use a dagger as a chisel?"

Holger will throw handover a dagger to Zephyr, hoping she will take the bait.

Before we raise the thing, I suggest we could try to speed through handling the statue? Getting the result of Ulmwin casting the ritual version of detect magic and testing if blocking the eyes works to prevent it from firering (blocking it with a shield and disable it between testing various materials like cloth, dye/makeup, metal or even illusions).
Does anyone have a chisel or similar object that could be used to break the stone? I know the thieves tools have a file, but that seems like a longshot to use that to get through the fangs.
Holger could also try to use an eldritch blast on the other statue trying to test out if it is forceful enough to even seem feasible.

Spider is there anything you would like me/us to roll for this to happen?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Zephyr raises an eyebrow and snorts in frustration. Though she does a good job at keeping her arm from swinging the mace at the person blocking her way.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Theis2 wrote:Spider is there anything you would like me/us to roll for this to happen?
((Depends on what is actually being attempted...))
  • smash the gem with a mace
  • smash the fangs only
  • chisel the fangs with a dagger
  • block the eyes with cloth
  • block the eyes with dye or makeup
  • block the eyes with metal
  • block the eyes with illusions
  • file the fangs
  • eldritch blast the other statue
  • ?
  • ?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm

((if I'd taken a burglars pack I'd have a crowbar, but I didn't so I don't. It's going onthe shopping list tho...)).

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 am

While some of the others are debating on the remaining snake zapper, Coljin will ask Randy, "So, what do you think is the best next move? Checking what is under the fountain or opening the other side of alcoves and dealing with those undead?"

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Randy grimaces. "I'd just as soon leave the undead trapped behind those doors. They can still do a fair amount of damage and we can't just open the doors one by one. It's all or nothing. I think we could invest our time better investigating the fountain."

Randy gives up trying to bandage himself. He doesn't want to be confused for a mummy in this place.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 pm

((Since it's been a while, might be worth mentioning that while the left alcoves were open, nothing came out of them.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 am

"Honestly, I agree... Although some manner of paranoia would say that perhaps whatever is under there, IF there is anything under there, has the power to open those alcoves, too."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:55 am

spiderwrangler wrote:((Since it's been a while, might be worth mentioning that while the left alcoves were open, nothing came out of them.))
((That was also when Randy rolled a natural 20 and managed to shut the things ASAP, so we're not one hundred percent sure WHAT could be in there. :P))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 am

((Actually, I'm pretty sure that one was open for a couple turns..? We saw a couple zombies, hell, I think we might have squished a couple zombies, but we DID manage to close it before any of the zombies could actually get out.))

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 am

"Could we not open and close the alcoves repeatedly in the attempt to crush whatever undead try to escape. Either that or have those of us who have learned a spell or two stand at the entrances, raise of the doors, blast the occupants and then lower them again. I would prefer them dead in the end at least."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:27 am

All right.

"Line up along the doors then, and let's see what's in the left hand alcoves. I'll open them, count to three and close them again, so pay attention! Ok, go!"

Nem will enact her plan.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 am

As one who has mastered at least a few spells, Zephyr takes her place about 30 feet back from the opening of an alcove, preparing to cast fire bolt at anything that pops into view.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am

((So has Zephyr retroactively backed down from any gem smashing?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 am

Coljin will line up also, his crossbow ready to fire.