The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.

Moderator: Games Moderators

The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:03 pm

*Everyone - Noon*

An ancient dragonborn (recognizable to those of you familiar with the town of Circle Vale as Father Ashmamsuit) grips the handle of his cane as he ascends the main stage erected at the southern edge of the town commons, his brown robes swishing against his bare silver feet. The grassy area stretched a few hundred feet across, and was ringed by a cobble street. In addition to the southern stage, smaller platforms had been raised to the east and west for the Festival of Hope. Across the northern curve rests The Emerald Chalice, an ornate green cup painted on the wooden plaque outside the two story, timber-framed inn. For now, the crowd of people gathered at the extra seating set up on the cobbles pause their revelry in respect as the elder raises a scaled fist to his silvery snout to catch a rumbling cough.

"Greetings and welcome," he intones in a strong, deep voice carrying just a bit of quavering. "on behalf of The Abbey of Circle Vale. This day marks the 997th year since The Sundering, and the 897th Festival of Hope. Before we open up festivities, we have Brother Wilim, who will give this year's recounting of The Way."

The dragonborn steps back as two younger individuals in similar robes climb the steps onto the stage, carrying a wooden chair between them. They place it at the back of the stage and the dragonborn thanks them and sits, clasping his hands over the head of his cane. The human female steps to the side of the chair, while the human male steps to the front of the stage and pronounces in a loud clear voice:

"Our world and much of the life on it have existed for untold years, long, long before the gods arrived. In those Before Times, generations of trees sprouted, grew tall, and died. Generations of animals were born, grazed on plants or the flesh of other animals, grew old, and perished. In the Before Times, there were no creatures who possessed thought, no creatures with the spark of awareness. That came only after the arrival of the first god, the All-Mother. She came across the cosmos, her silvery hair streaming behind her until the world below caught her attention. She sensed great potential, and flew down to take a closer look. The world was not ready for the arrival of one such as she, and much was thrown into disarray. Many plants and creatures that had existed for untold generations perished with her arrival. The All-Mother grieved for their loss, and cut the silvery locks from her head in mourning.

Seeking to repair the damage to the world, she exerted her will upon those plants and animals upon it, altering their forms to fill roles within the greater whole. Among those that she raised up was the race of man, into whom she placed some of her own essence. This allowed man to think and be aware in a way no other creature of this world had been before.

For many years she watched over the race of man, guiding them to achieve the potential she saw in them, that they may one day transcend their flesh and join as one to take to the stars with her. In time she came to understand that while man held potential for greatness, the potential of man alone was not enough. She withdrew from the affairs of man to ponder the issue, generations of passing while she thought. In the end, she devised
A Way, a path for this world to follow to achieve a higher state of being.

To do so, more diversity of sentient beings was needed, and so she selected a favored tribe of man, seeking to endow them with a new, improved form. Her efforts despite, her best intentions failed. What she created was an abomination and she banished it from her sight. Realizing she alone could not bring the needed diversity to the world, she pulled back The Veil she had placed over it, and allowed other gods to access the realm. Sensing the potential, other gods arrived claiming populations of mankind for their own. Some claimed man as they existed, but many altered their followers, molding them into the image of what they wanted. Moradin and his fellow gods appeared to the men of the mountains, teaching them the ways of stone and metal, in time their followers became shorter and stockier, better able to delve through the earth. Corellon Larethian and his fellow gods found the men of the woods, and lived among them, eventually giving rise to the race of elves. In time, others arrived, laying claim to groups of men and exerting their will upon them, giving rise to halflings and gnomes, goblins and orcs and giants. Other dieties arrived later, and found mankind and its descendant races spoken for, and thus claimed followers from among the animals, imbuing them with their own essence and granting sentience to them. Some of these were were bred with man, or elf or dwarf, giving rise to yet more races of sentient beings. Attention was drawn from other planes, both higher and lower, and many of the entities there taking interest in our world.

The All-Mother during this time watched as the Gods changed the nature of what she had brought forth. She was hopeful but that hope did not last. In time the different races worked to amass their own power and rather than unite, became argumentative and devisive. The All-Mother became worried, as she could not force the races of this world to follow The Way she saw, they had to arrive at it of their own efforts. This was not to be, as war broke out in the lands of man, dwarf and elf. Among man to the west, Thelbehrt Rega defeated any opposed to his rule, and proclaimed himself king. Likewise, the dwarves in the northern mountains were forcibly united under King Bori Thalison, and the elves under Queen Alwerwel Ind'elyen in the southern woods. Each of the three saw themselves as the true ruler of the world and the other two as their opposition, and began to build armies to exert their dominance. The other races were pulled into the conflict as well, halflings employed as spies by the armies of man, the gnomes split between dwarf and elf, whole clans of dragonborn being hired by one faction or another. Yet other races took advantage of the conflict to raid the homelands while the armies were at war. During this, the All-Mother wept and silently cried as she watched so much potential wasted and squandered. The other gods held their own creations and claimed races above all others and strove to aide them in the conflict.

For a whole two decades, the war raged, with each passing year the All-Mother growing more sick at heart as she watched The Way she envisioned fall into so many tiny pieces. Eventually, Thelbehrt, now an old man, saw that if the war was not ended decisively, that he may never see it in his lifetime. He gathered every fighting man and woman that he could, and marched east. Word reached Bori and Alwerwel, and not knowing who the armies of man intended to strike, gathered the full might of their armies and marched to meet him. The three armies arrived here, at the junction of all three kingdoms, where grasslands, mountains and forest ended in a wide clearing. It was here that for ten days man, dwarf, elf and the other races fighting for them bled and died. For ten days neither side seemed to have an advantage, when on the eleventh day, the All-Mother could bear it no longer. Her grief turned to rage when she saw what what her creation had come to, and so, rising up she smote the land, destroying what remained of all three armies...leaving behind the Circle Vale."
, the young monk pauses and spreads his hands wide to the stone walls rising up around the cratered depression the town resides in, broken only by a switchback trail to the west, and a stream that flows over in a waterfall to the north.

After a moment of silence, he looks up again, "In her grief, she fled back to the cosmos, leaving behind that which had so sorely disappointed her. When she Sundered the land, it shook the whole of creation, and for many years after the world shuddered and spewed forth molten rock, and all was dark and grim. A hundred years passed, and the races began to recover the population that was lost, when the All-Mother appeared in the sky, her silver hair streaming behind her, returning to see if we of this world had yet found our way. Many holy and wise of all races journeyed here to the Circle Vale. On the day that marked one hundred years since The Sundering, the first Festival of Hope was held, a simple affair in recognition that her return meant we might be redeemable. We had not achieved that yet, and after observing for three months, she left. Since then, others who traveled here joined together to found The Abbey of Circle Vale, and dedicate themselves to The Way. Later, the town of Circle Vale grew, as did the Festival of Hope, bringing many individuals of every race here in remembrance of the potential we all carry."

*Make an Intelligence (Religion or History) check*
((If you have proficiency in Religion or History, add your proficiency bonus, otherwise it's a straight Intelligence check. Randerwaith, Ulmwin and Holger you have advantage on this roll.))

Young Wilim steps back, glancing towards the elder dragonborn, who nods his long chin approvingly before standing.

"Well spoken, Wilim.", raising his voice to address the crowd, "As you enjoy the festivities, do keep in mind that donations are always welcome, and that harmonious interactions are expected."

With that, he shuffles off the stage, and the crowd begins murmuring in excitement. A rotund middle age dwarf trundles onto the stage, his face flushed. "Oi! If you're looking to perform, come find me by the south stage to register! Only registered acts are permitted during the festival. There'll also be a mutton eating contest starting soon at The Emerald Chalice, and a boulder throwing competition in the middle of the Commons. You're all just lucky I had three breakfasts and hurt by shoulder, or I'd win both!" He grins goodnaturedly at the ribbing and playful jeers thrown at him by the crowd, and winks at his detractors.

With that, the dwarf hops off the stage and is quickly approached by a handful of interested performers.

((Assuming you've all spend some time observing or milling about the Commons, the layout is as follows... if you picture the circular commons as a clock face, from 11 to 1 is The Emerald Chalice, which has set up additional seating outside, and seems to be serving lunch... which for some patrons seems to be liquid in nature. The west area at 11 has been roped off for the mutton eating contest, which has a few folks wandering over to sign up.

At 3 and 9 are the East and West stages, and at 6 is the somewhat larger South stage where the dwarf is registering performers.

Multiple vendors are set up at positions 2, 7, 8 and 10, with games of chance and skill at 4 - 5.

An area is roped off in the center of the Commons, and has a line laid out in chalk and a roughly human head-sized stone boulder beside it. A burly human seems to be in charge of things there.

Beyond the stands set up along the cobbled path ringing the grassy common area are a number of more permanent shops and businesses, and radiating out from the central hub are streets leading to more residential areas to the east and west. To the south is more industrial type businesses, and to the north is The Abbey, a large, but modestly constructed compound of timber and stone.))


*So, besides the requested Religion or History check, what do you do?*
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby M0rtimer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Ulmwin listens only with the bare necessity to still be respectful. While he had immense respect for the story, this was also, what... The 17th time he's heard it? Consecutively, perhaps he was just a bit off on the details...

_: 1D20 = [1] = 1
1D20 = [12] = 12


Soon enough however, the jolly dwarf announced a bunch of festivities- And another way for him to pay his respects. He soon starts making way to register at the south stage, hoping to spin a tale with the help of his trusty lute. Although... Maybe he could go prove that gnomes have quite the appetite too? The mutton eating contest DID sound enticing.

Ah well- Maybe he could register, then still join the contest. If not, well, there'll probably be some leftovers he could enjoy afterwards, right?

I already know how this game is gonna go... :roll:
User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Theis2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Holger reflects briefly at the speech, having heard it in some variation a couple of times before. He couldn't help smiling about the fact that somethings really doesn't change, even though everything seems different. It was the first time he arrived here alone and without someone to take care of the details, but that wasn't going to intimidate him and deter him from enjoying the festival to the fullest!

He, just like many others, decides to follow the dwarf and sign up as an entertainer in order to earn enough to sleep and eat well during the festival and ofcourse to have fun riling up the crowd. As he get's closer to the dwarf. Holger stops in his tracks hesitating and heart pounding like crazy. He looks around for a moment to see the various people approaching the dwarf and just tries to listen in, before he himself approaches the dwarf with a large smile.

Holger history: 2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [7, 19]+2 = 21
Holger perception: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9

It's finally happening! Be prepared for us running away from plot hooks! :lol:

Accidently put in +3 rather than +2 in the roll, but fixed it here.
Games I'm in
The island as Shackled by many
The goblin adventure league as Steals the tequilla (Free for all to join and wait for a quest/game)
PTU trinity isle as Drake the researcher of pokemon and the occult
Lair of the mountain king as Wakes in mountains

I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread
User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
 
Posts: 5870
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby thinkslogically » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Nemeia smiles as she listens to the story despite herself. It's an old tale that she's heard told in many different ways by many different people over the years, but the boy spoke well enough. While the boy speaks, Nemeia stands at the back of the gathering and uses the time to do a spot of people watching, keeping an eye out for thieves or other unsavoury types in the crowd...

Nemeia Intelligence check: 1D20 = [19] = 19 (I forgot to add my modifier (+2) and proficiency (+2) but don't want to waste the 19!).
Nemeia Perception (+4): 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(edited MANY times because apparently I can't read simple instructions about inserting links properly).
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
 
Posts: 10488
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Maji'ah'l looks around for a bit, avoiding most people, but gracitates ro various activities, and dwcides to chow down on free mutton, and he won't have to talk much. He walks over to the booth and points beyond the bouncer to the meat eatting challenge.

Know: religion [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13457
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby NotStickFigures » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Listening to the recital of history with a large smile, Coljin jostles between a few of the larger folks until he finds a spot he can see the speaker without peering around someone's posterior.
After the recital he claps loudly in appreciation. He always could appreciate a good long story, even if told by a slow speaking human.

Religion Check _: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5

He will mill around and people watch for a bit, but his final destination will be to go over and sign up for the mutton lunch...err...contest.

"Sign me up, please. Name? Oh. I'm Coljin Burberry. How soon does it start? I'm really rather hungry."
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Converses Frequently
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:13 pm

*Ulmwin*
You can barely contain your excitement to join in on the festivities, and as such don't listen too carefully to the tale... after all, events a thousand years ago have little bearing on your day to day, and it's not like it's the first time you've heard it. They tell essentially the same story at the start of every Festival of Hope... sitting through it is the price to pay to get to the real fun.




*Holger & Nemeia*
You both recognize that this was the SHORT version of the story... which is fine by you. No need to go into each god and goddess, and which race they fostered, much less detailed and myriad ways in which the other plans, particularly the Lower Planes have mucked about in the history of the world... at least according to the followers of The Way.

((Thinks, that's fine, if you forget to add it to the roll, it can be 'added' manually after if you remind/total it for me... though since you don't have proficiency in either Religion or History, that wouldn't be added in this case.))

Nemeia, give me an Intelligence check please... let's say with advantage. You can PM it to me if you want to keep it secret and safe.




*Maji'ah'l*
You don't recall ever hearing that story before, but meh... there are more interesting things to attend to... like the delicious scent of roast mutton wafting through the air.




*Coljin*
You're fascinated by the creation myth of a different religion of your own. Though it might not align with everything you've learned and believe, it was well told and interesting in its own right.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 pm

_: 2D20.HIGH(1) +3 = [5, 14]+3 = 17

Randerwaith, dressed in his vestments of the order of Obad-Hai for the occassion, stands attentively and respectfully in the background behind the Monks during the opening ceremony. He quietly reflects on the meaning of the ceremony, comparing this year's performance with ones in the past. He notes that Father Ashmamsuit is looking frailer this year and wonders how many more ceremonies he has left in him before one of the other brothers will be forced to step in and take over the job. He decides that over the next few months, he will need to monitor the situation a little more closely, in addition to his other information gathering. The good Fathers of Obad-Hai take a keen interest in the leadership of their fellow orders and do not like surprises...
Meanwhile, the ceremony over, Randerwaith begins making his way slowly towards the vendors, stopping to chat periodically with other clergy. He has equipment needs that need to be dealt with prior to his next assignment: gathering information from the region to determine the current state of affairs.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:43 pm

*Randerwaith*
From what you can recall of the past Festival of Hope recitations, young Wilim did a commendable job. There may have been Brothers and Sisters over the years who did it with more showmanship, but he had a strong voice, and didn't stumble over his words.


(("He has equipment needs that need to be dealt with"... what is it you're looking for?))

Make a Perception check for me please.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 am

_: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

Randerwaith pulls out his list of needed supplies:1 hooded latern, 3 flasks oil, 1 wet stone, 1 bed roll, 1 grapple hook, 1 fishing tackle, 3 sacks, 1 tent. Est. cost of Cost 11gp 3sp 4 cp.
He frowns thoughtfully, shrugs, and begins to look the vendors over carefully. He has dealt with most of them before. He begins heading towards one that he knows is a honest trader, a halfling named Buckleburry.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:19 am

Having only just arrived in the city, Zephyr finds herself remembering bits and pieces of her childhood, each one bringing pain to her in a way she hadn't felt since the circus troupe had first stolen her from this place. She arrived in the circle near the end of the story of how this town came to be and as she listened, she cocked her head to the side to listen. She felt as though she had heard this story many times before. 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

As she hears the story finish, painful memories that she hadn't thought about in over a decade came rushing back and she lost control of herself. There, in the middle of an otherwise crowded street, Zephyr fell to her knees and began to openly weep.
Colonizing the New WorldColonial Re-imagining
http://www.meandmypixels.com - A Webcomic Adventure by LAYF

The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.
User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
 
Posts: 7435
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:34 am

Maji'ah'l's mouth drools when he approaches the contest, He approaches the contest, and points to inside, trying to get a way in.
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13457
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 am

*Zephyr*
You have hazy memories of hearing this story while holding hands with two people much larger than you, memories that sharpen, and bring with them a sense of belonging... and an overwhelming sense of loss.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:22 am

As Randerwaith makes his way through the crowd, he spies a familiar small figure from previous festivals. Predictably, he is in line for an eating contest. Randerwaith smiles slightly and nods his head respectfully. "Good afternoon, Father Burberry. How are you today?"
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Patdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:46 am

Standing in the crowd in his finer clothes rather than his armour Rudolph listens to Wilim doing a historical-ish version of a speech.
History 1d20+1=18
It sounded similar to a version he'd had to learn before when he was growing up, but he'd never been to religious himself. He still always felt odd wearing a necklace with a suppose-ed relic from some saint around his neck, but hey it family tradition he be the one to have it and that was one thing he excepted.
When the History lesson was finished the smell of cooking mutton drifted his way and it always made Rudolph think of home and so he naturally is drawn in the direction of the contest. Perhaps he could even tell where the meat was from, it would certainly not surprise him if his family donated some to the festival.
Currently playing
Forges for food (3gp)- The Goblin Adventuring league
Pushes Buttons The Island
Rudolph Sundered Way


Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem
User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
 
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 pm
Location: Andong, Korea

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 am

*Rudolph*
The story is familiar, but in that sort of 'heard it all before', but never really cared to listen all that closely sort of way.





*Ulmwin*
You scurry over to where the dwarf is taking signups, managing to get third in line, behind a couple of gaudily dressed humans. You barely pay attention as they give the dwarf their names, which he writes down, before giving them a small green wooden bucket from the pile next to him. They finally step away, and the red-faced dwarf grins down at you from within is dark brown beard.

"Welcome to the Festival! What's your performin' name, and what's your act?"




*Holger*
You'd been well on your way to getting registered among the first, but had a little bit of a freak out, an the line filled up while you were nervously watching the other performers. Nothing seems out of the ordinary, each performer gives him their name, gets a green bucket and either heads to the East or West stage, or mills about at the larger South stage, apparently waiting to go on. You get in line behind a woman carrying a piece of white canvas stretched on a wooden frame.




*Nemeia*
You glance about looking for unsavory types, but don't spot anyone acting overtly suspicious. You do notice that standing at fairly regular intervals are individuals in brown robes similar to the ones worn by the head monk and the young fellow who spoke. Unlike the rest of the crowd, they aren't milling about, and chattering, but instead are standing still and observing. You briefly lock eyes with one of them, a gnomish woman, before quickly looking away, where your vision falls on what is definitely a female tiefling on her knees and wailing.

The crowd parts around her, and are looking at her with concern, but you realize it's not concern that she IS a tiefling, and more concern at her obvious distress.




*Maji'ah'l*
You stride over to the mutton place where a short line has formed. Ignoring queuing protocol, you walk right to the front and emphatically point a clawed finger past the halfling sitting on a barrel where he's checking people in. He looks at you briefly before he takes the name from a red-bearded dwarf, and then a thin half-elf. You wipe drool for your lips and point inside again. He sighs almost inaudibly before turning to the man next in line, "Do you mind waiting a moment?"
"Nah, as long as you don't start without me!", the fellow replies, slapping his belly.

The halfling turns to look up, up at you, speaking very slowly and deliberately at a higher volume.
"YOU WANT MUTTON? TO EAT?" He makes hand gestures to pantomime eating.
"DO YOU WANT TO BE IN THE COMPETI... DO YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME?"
He nods and smiles encouragingly. "DO YOU HAVE A NAME?"




*Coljin*
There seems to be some commotion around a woman on her knees to the east side of the Commons, but you can't get a good look at things, and that mutton is smelling like it would just about hit the spot. You head over and get in line, when you see an huge dragonborn twice your height rumble past and start pointing at things. It would seem that the halfling in charge is trying to be very patient with him. As you're watching this transpire, you hear someone call your name...



*Randerwaith*
Things are a bit more crowded that when you're generally here, and there are more chattering people milling about than you might like, but you have no trouble orienting yourself and begin making your way to the northwest edge of the Commons, headed for one of the permanent shops set back from the cobbled roadway, Buckleburry's Goods Emporium. On your way there, you spot the curly locks and short stature of Coljin Burberry, who frequents the festivals... and the mutton booths... quite regularly. You call out to him, and spot a large dragonborn causing a fuss at the front of the line.



*Zephyr*
You're getting in touch with painful emotions you'd not been sure you had, much less felt in the recent years.



*Rudolph*
You head over to the mutton area, where you get in line a few spots behind a curly haired gnome that is soon approached by a human wearing pale green robes with a scowling plant-face embroidered on it that you recognize as the nature deity Obad Hai. For a moment you consider mentioning the impoliteness of cutting in line, but it appears they are just talking.




So, what are you doing?
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

The Sundered Way

Postby NotStickFigures » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:54 am

Standing in line, Coljin was rather pre-occupied watching the crowd, when he is addressed by name.
Whipping his head around and upward he sees a face he remembers.
He smiles at the man, remembering the face immediately and it only takes him a few seconds to remember the name.
"Nice to see a familiar face in the big city, Randerwaith. Are you, too, signing up for the food contest? If so, we will have to see which of us has the bigger stomach!" With that he arches his back and puffs out his gut as much as he can (which is not much) and laughs heartily at himself.
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Converses Frequently
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby thinkslogically » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:01 am

Nemeia watches the tiefling woman for a long few seconds trying to decide if she really wants to involve herself in whatever drama has caused such a loud and public breakdown. She's curious though... Tieflings aren't exactly commonplace around here after all.

She will make an insight check to try and determine if the woman is making a scene because she's genuinely upset or because she's causing a distraction while something else goes down...

d20 + WIS: 1D20 + 2 = [8]+2 = 10
(Spider - I made this roll if you want to use it, but I don't know if you prefer to make these ones yourself to avoid metagaming?)
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
 
Posts: 10488
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 am

He sighs and reluctantly speaks softly to the halfling, unless there is a form/piece of paper which he writes on that instead. "Maji'ah'l"
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13457
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:09 am

*Nemeia*
You're not really sure, she's facing slightly away from you so you can't get a really solid read on her, but her emotions at least seem genuine.

((Nope, I want you guys to do as much rolling as I can outsource to you. In the event that I say you've got advantage or disadvantage, you can roll 2 in the same linked roll and hold off on responding until I chime in whether you're taking the standard (first) roll, or adv/dis roll.))

*Maji'ah'l*
You lean down and whisper to the halfling.

"Errm... how do you spell that?"

You hold out your hands for his book and pencil, which he hands to you. After you write your name and hand them back, he nods and says, "Ah, right. How else would one spell... Maa-gi-ahuh-ul. Anyway, just head on in and have a seat off to the side for now, we'll get you all settled in at the tables once we've introduced everyone and the wagering has begun."

He points to a couple of long benches currently seating contestants who'd already been signed in. They are closer to the main outdoor dining part of the extra tavern space, while the tables set up for the competition are to the west.




*Coljin, Randerwaith, Rudolph*

The large dragonborn appeased, the halfling continues checking other contestants in and the line begins moving forward again.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby thinkslogically » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:42 am

...Sod it, maybe this could work to her advantage.

Nemeia clears her throat and strides through the crowd, loudly admonishing the onlookers for standing idly and staring at someone in obvious need of help... or at least a strong drink or something. Grabbing the woman's arm, she encourages her to her feet and drags her off in the direction of the pub.

"Good grief love, pull yourself together before someone thinks you're possessed! Come on, stand up! Use your legs!"

She clears her throat again and mutters:

"So help me, if this is some kind of scam, I promise you will regret it!"
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
 
Posts: 10488
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:06 pm

Maji'ah'l snorts when the halfling gets his name wrong but does not correct him. He goes inside away from the crowd. He watches them carefully, while he waits on his food, I mean the contest.
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13457
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby M0rtimer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:10 pm

"Hi there! Name's Ulmwin, but on stage I prefer my nickname, Robelesh!" Ulmwin excitedly introduces himself, his nickname for once serving a few purposes besides the fact names are cool... It'd make him a bit harder to track, presuming the bastard was still on his tail about that whole thing. And secondly, assuming he WAS, once he'd hear what alias he had taken up it'd give him another good ribbing!

"I'm a bard!" he says, heaving his lute slightly forward while playing a small tune as a matter of demonstration- Soon instead rubbing his chin in clear, if slight, deliberation.

"My plan was obviously to recant a story of old, using song and some minor other tricks-" Ulmwin says, demonstrating as he strums a few notes, using prestidigation to show a small dragon statuette on top of his hand- Although the illusory object is quickly dismissed.

"Which one though... I usually prefer more lighthearted ones, but for the festivities I usually want something with a bit more of a message... Ah, I know! Do you know the story of priestess Annibel?"

I also took the liberty of selecting a colour, even though it doesn't seem necessary. :P
User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10059
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Randerwaith smiles gently. "I'll grant you my forfeit and my share of the mutton, Father. I'm just gathering supplies before I head out again. There have been some interesting rumors out of the wilderness that I need to follow up on. I was going to see if you would be willing to guest with me and my Abbot this evening. He's always a little freer with the wine if he has a fellow priest at the table."
He waits to see what Coljin answers, while keeping an eye on the Dragonborn. "It looks like you might have some competition this year, Father."
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:45 pm

*Ulmwin*
"Greetings Ulmwin, I'm Holgor!", the cheerful dwarf says, while jotting down the bard's name.

"Well, as to choice, it's up to you... though Annibel is one of my favorites. Once you're registered, you can perform as often as you like... though we do encourage no one to hold the stage for too long. One year a bard decided to recite story of Bordrin the Studious... we had to remove him from the stage after hour three, both the other performers and the crowd had grown quite tired of him.

Here's your bucket, just set it on the stage while you perform, and if folks like what they hear, they might toss some coin your way. The main stage draws the biggest crowd, but has the most performers waiting to go on. And just remember, once you're all through with performing, just bring the bucket and the Abbey's twenty percent back to me.", Holgor hands you a small green wooden bucket.

"Let me know if you're going to tell Annibel, and I'll try to get away from my duties to come listen."

The dwarf looks up to the next person in line and greets them.

"Welcome to the Festival! What's your performin' name, and what's your act?"
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11398
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Next

Return to Forum Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests