The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.

Moderator: Games Moderators

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Maji: Perhaps it was Alistral calling you Yew Bearer, but your reminded of the deer you hunted down the day you found the sprig of yew. You follow her meditative instructions, her soft voice guiding your memories back.

You are crouched in the snow, as you have been for for hours, waiting along a deer trial, rope in hand. Soon, you know, the young buck will come down the trail, and you will haul back on the rope, snaring his foot and breaking his leg, leaving him at the mercy of your scimitar. You have only to wait. You hear the crunch of snow underhoof, and know that the buck will round that snow laden evergreen at any moment...

...suddenly, your perspective shifts, you smell and hear things differently from Maji-before, and now you catch a reptilian scent in front of you. Startling, you bound away, your strong hooved legs propelling you over snowdrifts as you leave a hungry black dragonborn behind you...

...you come back to the present, and realize what you've been bounding through is not snowdrifts in a forest, but tall grass in an open field. You stop, shaking your head to clear your thoughts, and feel a different balance of weight swinging back and forth. From the corners of your eyes, you make out branching antlers.

While you are paused, a doe trots up behind you, reddish of pelt, except for a streak of white across the forehead, and splotches of white on her rump. She bobs her head up and down enthusiastically, before turning and sprinting off through the grass...




Back at the campsite, Holger gets out his lyre and begins playing some celebratory tunes, perhaps being joined by the more musical and performance types among the party. The centaurs are appreciative, Rothar and Kreentath in particular, joining in with clapping and hoof stomping percussion once they get a feel for each song. Rothar asks if he might borrow your lyre to play a song...

(Assuming you comply)

...with the lyre in hand, he plucks at it, changing the tuning to an odd configuration, before plucking out a eerily haunting melody, unlike music you are familiar with. He begins softly singing in Sylvan, and is joined by both Kreentath and Dryderion, who provide percussion accompaniment as well. When the song ends, he tunes it back to how you had it, and hands you your instrument with a wistful smile.




Ulmwin, able to follow the conversation easily... at least in one hour increments, has a relaxing evening, maybe joining in with the music, maybe not.




Zephyr plops down at the edge of camp and begins scrubbing the chain mail with twists of grass to knock the rust off.




Randerwaith chats with Dryderion, who tells him of many of the dangers to be encountered in the wilds, and you gather that their tribe has no settled homeland, but is always on the move. He is surprisingly familiar with settled lands, and explains that their travels take them through lands throughout the continent. They must be skilled at passing unnoticed for sightings of centaurs to be so few.

((Rather than go into detail on Wild lore he might impart, I'm instead going to say that you have Centaur Lore x 3. You can redeem one use to gain advantage on any knowledge check regarding creatures or lands that you might encounter in the Wilds in the future.))




Coljin is feeling a bit at a loss, relying on Ulmwin, Holger or Randerwaith for translation of the conversation in Elvish, and not wanting to be too much of a bother, pokes around the campsite looking for something edible to add to the evening meal. There is likely not much in the full grassland, but in this spot near one of the functioning wells where the grass has been kept at bay by the travelers of the road, he does find some young green onions and edible greens and tubers that he collects and brings back to the others, washing them briefly in some cold well water.




Rudolph is generally introspective, other than asking Coljin about religion and meditation ((feel free to RP that as you'd like)).
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Maji snorts slightly before running off with the doe, as his animal instints tell him to.
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13857
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 am

Maji: As you run short on 'deer time', Alistral leads you back to camp, dropping her wild shape as her legs grow longer and her human torso emerges from the front of the doe shape.

in druidic
"Well done! I think that is good for tonight, but we will keep working on new shapes each day."
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby M0rtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 am

Ulmwin of course joins in with some music!

The "getting to understand you song" just comes back around once every hour.
User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10320
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 am

((The song that the centaurs sing is largely comprised of allegories and cultural references that you don't quite grasp. I'll take an Insight check if you'd like.))
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby M0rtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:17 am

User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10320
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 am

Maji nods eagerly and grins.
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13857
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby NotStickFigures » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 am

Coljin is happy to have Rudolph ask him questions about religion and meditation, His smile genuine, he will tell him about Mielikki, the goddess of the forests. He does not get overly preachy, though. He wants to make it a conversation, not him doing a sermon. Making sure he asks Rudy what religions he was taught or followed from his parents.
"Well, for meditation," he explains to Rudy, "what works for me is my prayers. Daily I have to pray to the goddess for my allotment of chosen spells. I've learned that after I do that, if I just continue to sit, pray, and ask for guidance and clarity, it really clears my mind and gives me a strange sense of peace that I never had before I became a cleric. I think it might just be letting my mind slow down, relax, and think things through. It's really rather un-gnome-like. We do like to do things so fast all the time."

If someone is dealing with making some food Coljin shows them what he foraged; or if everyone is just eating rations, Coljin puts out the fresh vegetables and greens out for whomever might want to help themselves. He loudly crunches on one of the onions, wishing he had just a bit of salt.
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Indulges in Conversation
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:40 am

Zephyr loses herself in thought while working on the chainmail. The many times that they had almost lost one of their number of the past several days. She knew she would need to do better to ensure their survival...not because she liked any of them, she reassured herself, but only because she needed them to continue to survive herself. She made a promise that one day, when she was stronger, she would head out on her own again, but only after she found her parents. Her thoughts lapped into silence when her mind began to probe this dangerous thought, and her mind went back to the chainmail in her hands.
Colonizing the New WorldColonial Re-imagining
http://www.meandmypixels.com - A Webcomic Adventure by LAYF

The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.
User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
 
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Ulmwin: The song is sad, and seems to be referring to some unspecified loss or regret. You get the sense that it might be tied to the centaur's wandering nature, but also are pretty sure that sharing it is as far as they will be willing to go. It is likely an honor to have heard it, but not something that invites discussion.




The following morning, you all arise and begin traveling back towards Circle Vale, two of the centaurs staying with the party at all times, while two range ahead. In the evening, Maji practices wild shaping based on his past hunts, with Alistral guiding him.

On the second night, as you set camp, you see your first signs of animal life... swarms of hungry biting insects, their normal prey driven off by the blights... but it is a sign that you are getting to the edge of the area afflicted by the blights...

The centaurs use their tails to decent effect, and while your weapons are less than efficient, Holger probably firebolts some, Ulmwin maybe drops a thunderwave on them, as does Alistral, and it's over quickly. The rest of the evening passes quietly, and you head out the next morning to an overcast day. At the noonday meal, Kreentath returns with a few rabbits that she and Dryderion shot, and those of you who wish to have your first fresh meat in over two weeks.

The rest of the day passes uneventfully, you are starting to see more and more signs of animal life, it seems you have moved far enough out that things are largely 'normal' in this part of the grass lands. By this point, Maji has practiced wild shaping into a goat, badger, cat, lizard, rat, and mastiff... all things that have all been on his menu at some point in the past. He might not be entirely sure how Alistral would take him revealing that having consumed these creatures, as well as bears, wolves and giant centipedes is how he has such a strong understanding and ability to take their forms. Hers seems to be a wild shape more rooted in study than ingestion.

The following day, your two centaur outriders return, bringing word of a group of humanoids that seem to be waiting in ambush about a mile ahead. They avoided getting too close, so as not to alert them that they'd been detected, but estimate that there are between 10 to 14 of them lying in wait.

((You are all still 2nd level at this point... so don't die. :lol: ))
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby thinkslogically » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Nemeia, having spent a fun evening singing and exchanging stories with the centaur group (through dance and gestures and music and Holger, mostly), Nemeia is well rested and continues happily singing ans joking as usual as they travel the next day.

At the (translated?) warning from the scouts, she sighs, draws her bow again and slips quietly into the long grass beside the road, but it's rather thick and hard to move through quietly...


Stealth: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
 
Posts: 11001
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Maji walks quietly, like a cat through the underbrush. He sticks with Alistral as they get close to the bandis, eager to claw them all.


Stealth: 1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13857
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 pm

((By 'like a cat' do you mean 'as a cat'?))
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:59 pm

(No I do not. Sorry for the confusion)
User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 13857
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:01 pm

((I didn't think so, just wanted to check, now that it's 'unlocked'. A bit of a waste if a wild shape in this scenario, given the low HP.))
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Randy sighs.
Nocking an arrow to his bow, he fades silently into the brush, sticking near Dryderion.

Stealth (armor): 2D20.LOW(1)+4 = [16, 18]+4 = 20
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3827
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby M0rtimer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 pm

((Ulmwin OBVIOUSLY shot his crossbow at the insects. :roll:))

"Ah... Fucking great." Ulmwin mutters, staying near the back of the group- For good reasons...

Stealth with disadvantage: 2D20.LOW(1)+3 = [7, 10]+3 = 10
User avatar
M0rtimer
Games Moderator
 
Posts: 10320
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby NotStickFigures » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 pm

When Coljin is told about the ambush ahead, and he sees a bunch of the group go into the grass and bushes he asks, "So, what is the plan? Are we going to attack them from behind in the grass? or some of us on the road? Or something else? Or should we just divert of the road and try to get past them without incident. Though, they apparently know we are on the road heading there way, so I doubt that would work." He also asks Randy to ask the Centaur scout if he knows what type of humanoids are up ahead, or to describe them. Orcs? Something else?
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Indulges in Conversation
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Before slinking in the brush Randy translates Coljin's question about the identity of the beings.
"I think we'll try to surprise them. Anyone on the road is just going to make an easy target." He then accompanies the centaur.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
 
Posts: 3827
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby Theis2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:24 am

At some point during the travel, Holger would like to spend an hour studying his hat. And apparently find out that he knows nothing about magic hats.


Holger will cast mage armor on himself in preparation to the impending ambush.
"I'm willing enough to stay on the road and take their focus away from you guys."

Is it possible to take the dodge action while moving without being too obvious about knowing they are there? :P

Holger wild magic surge: 1D20 = [6] = 6
Holger knowledge arcana: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9
Games I'm in
The island as Shackled by many
The goblin adventure league as Steals the tequilla (Free for all to join and wait for a quest/game)
PTU trinity isle as Drake the researcher of pokemon and the occult
Lair of the mountain king as Wakes in mountains

I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread
User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
 
Posts: 5997
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 am

"Well, I think by now you all know how worthless I am at sneaking. I'll take Holgers back on this and hopefully give you lot enough time to get around them."
Zephyr grins and slaps holger on the back. "I've been itching for a fight with some real flesh and blood ever since we fell into that dark hole."
Colonizing the New WorldColonial Re-imagining
http://www.meandmypixels.com - A Webcomic Adventure by LAYF

The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.
User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
 
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby NotStickFigures » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 am

"My armor keeps me from being very quiet, too." adds Coljin. "But I'll try if you want."
He will however stay near the back of the group of those sneaking, to try and not give too much away.

If he obviously is making too much noise and bothering the quiet ones, he will instead join Holger and Zephyr.

stealth with disadvantage: 2D20.LOW(1)+1 = [4, 17]+1 = 5
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Indulges in Conversation
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 am

Zephyr pats Coljin on the Head. "Happy to fight by your side little man, stick with me and I'll make sure you come to no harm."
Zephyr digs out the dwarven ringmail from her bag and tosses it to the Dorf. "Put this on and stick with us on the road, we'll be a formidable foe against seemingly overwhelming odds."
Colonizing the New WorldColonial Re-imagining
http://www.meandmypixels.com - A Webcomic Adventure by LAYF

The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.
User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
 
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am

Tess, Maji, and Randerwaith move into the tall grass with the centaurs, to varying degrees of success, while Holger, Ulmwin and Zephyr keep to the road with Krodop, Rudy, and Coljin, after Zephyr suggests that he ought to stay with them... his stealthing was more noticeable than a party walking up the road.

Before Randy and the centaurs take off, he asks Coljin's question about what sort of humanoids there are, and Rothar reports via translation that the two he could make out for sure were a human and a half orc.

Zephyr tosses the ringmail to Krodop, his eyes widen. "Do you know what this is? I'm pretty sure it's dwarven mail made during the battles long ago against the ice warlocks! I don't have time to attune to it now, but this is an impressive find!"

Rothar and Kreentath slip into the grass to the south of the road, Dryderion and Alistral to the north. Maji and Randerwaith go to the north, Tess to the south?

Are the sneakers keeping pace with the party on the road, ranging ahead, or holding back? Those of you on the road, in response to Holger's question about taking dodge without being obvious, I'd say you could with a sufficient Performance check I think.
games I gm
Surviving Castle Heterodyne, a Girl Genius themed game where the players are sparks.

Fallout: Settlers, co-GM with Badge, set in the Fallout world as a vault of dwellers emerge into a changed world.

The Sundered Way, my 5e forum campaign.


games I play
Darfel Kroven, Human Cleric of Tempus in Theis2's "Shipwrecked!".

Splits Focus in Thinkslogically's Lair of the Mountain King

Korga in Dlover's Hunters of Letrua.

Laughs Creepily in "Goblin Adventurer's League".

Korbrok, the dwarven telekinetic blacksmith berserker in Quarg's "An Adventure in Aldra".

Korrik Tallpine, a halfling monk with a shady past in Thinks' "The Wandering Archipelago".
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
 
Posts: 11972
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: The Sundered Way

Postby BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am

Zephyr, in effort not to give away the fact that the group knows about the upcoming ambush begins to talk, loudly, to the others. "So there I was, up on the hill in front of you, and" she laughs to herself "you should have seen it, there was a cloud shaped like a dorf. Couldn't tell if it was male or female, cause they both have beards you know." She laughs again, tears begin to come unbidden with her laughter. "And then a cloud shaped like a dragon came up out of nowhere, just like dragons do you know, coming out of the shadows, except it was bright as day." At this point zephyr is unable to keep from laughing at the memory. "And then the dragon ate the dorf."

^This happens up to the ambush site. She's not intentionally trying to be racist.
Colonizing the New WorldColonial Re-imagining
http://www.meandmypixels.com - A Webcomic Adventure by LAYF

The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.
User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
 
Posts: 7706
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests