An Adventure in Aldra

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

An Adventure in Aldra

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:23 pm

OOC:
This first post is reserved for OOC information about the game.

Players please select a color for your character's speech. First come first serve.

Current City: Tarhoe
City Districts:
High Quarter - The part of the walled city on a high plateau above the river. Location of the early Imperial period city, its administrative offices and Palaces (current location for all players)
Old City - The original city located on the river and primarily built for receiving goods from down the river to be warehoused and shipped off to the rest of the world. The commercial heart of the city still.
New City - A recent expansion of the city outside of the walls. Primarily filled with mansions of the newly rich Xethe with the recent growth in trade up and down the river.
Dells - The crime ridden area of the old city between the little Saven and the cliffs of the High Quarter.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Re: An Adventure in Aldra

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:40 pm

It came upon a midnight clear...(Turn 0)

Gong...sounded the Long Bell of the War God Tower.

Most people had long gone to bed that night, a few people wandered to their beds after a late night down in the Dells. Others tried to curl up in their bed after a night of selling their bodies for a few marks a turn. Some plied their trade in this early morning, trying to jimmy locks, slip through high windows, or slip a blade into the unexpecting for the few measly marks in their pockets.

It seemed a normal night of the city. But there was something wrong...

For as the last echoes of the Long Bell were met by the sound of shod feet running along the cobbles of the street. The echoed in the high quarter, becoming loader, more numerous. Rising in volume in a crescendo...causing the bankers, lawyers, merchants, and Mar of that quarter to start to slip out of slumber...

Boom....Craaaacck...Craaack...Craaack

The residents of the high quarter, including those of the Old Protector's Palace, The Imperial Palace, and the New Palace all felt the sudden dark, cold charge pass through the air before the pressure wave of sound called out.

An uneasy peace fell upon the city streets. Dogs shivered and whimpered, cats vanished under cupboards, babies cried for comfort. Men and women rose from their beds and stared out windows across the darkened city, their ears and eyes trying to find the danger that their hearts said was out there.

Those that listened heard little...the occasional shout...the sound of steel bashing steel would suddenly puncture the air and then just as quickly vanish again.

Many of the Mar rose, they dressed in their linen shrifts and rhys wool pants, belting on their battle coats and their long blades. The young threw on jaunty hats with feather plumes, the older put on worn steel battle helms. They all walked out into the night armed with their swords, rifles, crossbow, bows, or battle axes. Most would find no rest this night. Some would find their eternal rest.

The Long Bell marked off the hours with its tolls...Two...Three...Four...Five...

The brief sounds of battle no longer called out from the streets as the sun began to rise over the city, as the old Long Bell struck off six hours.

At six thirty, the senior steward began striking her cow bell up and down the faded halls of the former K'zarian Governor's Palace, marking the the fifteen minute announcement for morning muster. Like most mornings, it was the mandatory meeting held in the Great Salon. All the mercenaries, even those still sick with the night before, were required to attend morning muster. For most members it was a bit odd to muster under the dulled, gaze of ancient carved K'zar princes as they paused in their eternal hunt of stags, bears, lions, goblins, orc, and koblods. To know that the marble floor was designed to hold the Eld K'zar as they danced the change of each season, not the dusty boots of the scum they thought should serve as serfs under their empire.

Breakfast was already set out on the tables waiting for the mercenaries. Today would be a meal of fried rice cakes fortified with scraps of mutton and vegetables from last nights dinner, served with boiled mutton sausages, boiled eggs, farm cheese and green sauce. To quench their morning thirst was the standard choice of beer, dark beer, or elkberry water (for any Mar present).

Those that arrived in the salon this morning were met with a gray, foggy morning out of the windows, and a very attractive fair red head sitting in the far corner of the room. The woman's brilliant green eyes seemed to smile at each of them in turn accompanied with a very attractive demure smile. Her white silk shirt and skin tight leather riding pants advertised every curve of her body. She was positioned at a small corner table to allow her to see all who entered the room, but also keep an eye out to the Uxe Court out below the windows. She sat with a man who appeared to be about forty, who was wearing a Sukra battle cloak (designed for the woman rangers of the Sukra Empire). Between them was a pair of glasses and a bottle of Sack. The woman was sipping her morning wine and completely ignoring her table companion at the moment.

The house captain stood next to the massive mantel across from the windows. He wore an old uniform of the Liester Company, pressed and neat. His right hand using a battle cane to prop himself up against a knee gone bad from an errant crossbow bolt. The captain watched as the current residents of the Guildhouse enter and sort of stand at attention. As the last of the residents entered the captain began to read off each name.
ÔÇ£Logan...Your shipping out for that job in Backu tommorrow?...ÔÇØ
Logan, a short, fat artileriest known for drinking all the money he made away almost as fast as he could make it nodded. The captain continued....

ÔÇ£Dwar Dwarf?....have you found work yet?ÔÇØ

A few of the other dwarves around had jobs protecting some rent bosses collecting rents down in the Dells.

ÔÇ£Ironback?....have you found work yet?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Mapmaker?....have you found work yet?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£One-Eye?...have to ask but have you found work yet?ÔÇØ

After reading off the names he turns and let them all get to breakfast. He walked over and holds out the board. The woman takes it from him, smiles brightly and then puts it down, studying the people in the room.

Ignatius Pyre - (Turn -1)
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:51 pm

"With exception to the impossible task I was made for, I have no jobs. I assume you need my assistance?" Maker looks around at the others that were called. Being a golem, Maker has no interest in the food or drinks and waits for the captian to speak again.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:48 am

"No sir, no job."

One-eye says with a half-feigned melancholy. Truth be told, he was in no rush to leave the mercenaries guild.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:48 am

"Nay sir. Nothin' since me last job." Dwar takes a seat and eats heartily.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 am

"No."

Korbrok grabs a tankard of dark ale for himself and one for Dwar, plunking them down as he joins the young dwarf in making the most of breakfast.

"Here you go, boy."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:16 am

Dwar accepts the tankard gratefully, "My thanks, elder."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 am

The lad was respectful, if a bit unusual. There was hope for him yet. Though I'm one to talk, when it comes to unusual dwarves. , Korbrok thinks to himself.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Ignatus halfheartedly sips at his drink and watches his companion resigning himself to the long day he expects is ahead of him. He would be more content if he didn't have to act the damn babysitter. Noticing her attentions on the mercenaries, he wonders if she is looking for anything in particular. Like it or not, woman, we're stuck here with each other, perhaps we can help each other out. You're valuable, and powerful, and you seem the Empress's woman, and maybe the stakes are about to get a whole lot more interesting.
He continues studying his companion in silence.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:19 am

"With exception to the impossible task I was made for, I have no jobs. I assume you need my assistance?"

"We will talk after breakfast, Map...." is the only response the captain gives.

Aurora reads through the list and then hands it over to Ignatius..."Well, this would give us five hounds to hunt down our runaway...any reason you know not to pick them?" She asks.

She give Ignatius a few moments to read while sipping her port.

The captain's own breakfast is interfered with by the porter bringing a message. The captain stands and walks over to Aurora and Ignatius..."What the hell is this about..." He demands.

Aurora takes the message, reads it and then says, " Well it is succinct isn't it. I don't control the Civic Thra...I assume after the mess last night they want to know where you all are...and anyone who they don't know is properly employed." She offers the note to Ignatius....

The house captain turns to the rest of the room, "Alright folks sorry to interrupt your breakfast. But I have word here that last night there was word of a conspiracy against the Mar's new little Empress..."
Aurora eyes only slightly narrowed at the comment but seemed to let it pass.

"....as such you are all going to have to immediately get passes from the local guard house otherwise you might get arrested. Also the Dells are strictly off limits to everyone unless you've been authorized by proper authorities."

Aurora fake coughs...
''And anyone who isn't employed, muster in the withdrawing room in thirty with your kit ready to go, apparently any unemployed mercenaries are being asked to leave the city by order of the Imperial Auditor's office."
"But the Military Cohort is willing to discuss hiring you for a small task so you can stay...' Aurora states from behind him.

He turns and glowers at her..."I think we need to discuss something in my office..."
"Yes, so do I, Auditor Pyre...I will meet you in their withdrawing room...which is through that door right there correct?" She points at the most ornate doorway in the room. The captain just nods.

Aurora throws on a dark red battle-coat and a chain of office over her shoulder before following the house captain out the door.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:33 am

(Now, when he says that we have to immediately get passes, and to muster in thirty, does that mean the local guardhouse is close enough to go there and back in suitable time?)
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:22 am

Korbrok keeps eating. If he ends up getting the boot, it's not going to be on an empty stomach.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:17 am

Maker immediatly gets up and heads to the local guardhouse. "I need to aquire a pass, as per the captian and Aurora."

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 pm

The city's turning into a bloody warzone, thinks Ignatus as he drains his glass before getting up. He shoots what he hopes is an intimidating glare at the Mercenary Captain's back as he and Aurora venture off. Even though she seems quite capable of handling herself, he'd rather not let her get too far out of the way. The city's been caught off guard once already; it's not likely that anything will happen here so soon after the attack and in broad daylight, but he would rather not take too many chances, especially concerning the only person as far as he can tell who knows what's going on. Looking for an excuse to tarry, he wanders over to one of the few mercenaries left in the room.
"Been here long?" he asks Korbrok dryly, more focused on skimming the note he'd been handed.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:56 am

"What? Leave?! I can't leave! You know what happens!"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 am

Well... If the guardhouse is close by, Dwar wolfs down his meal (Literally, if it means he can eat faster) and gulps the drink his elder had provided before hurrying to get a pass, as the captain said, and heading back to collect his things and move for the withdrawing room. If the guardhouse is too far to get there and back in time, he'll head for the withdrawing room right away instead, since those were the orders.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:58 am

One eye looks vaguely panicked and grabs his small bundle of gear before mustering. If there's any chance of getting a job that would let him stay at the guild, that would be a damn sight better than alone in the wilds again...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:56 am

"Eh? Few weeks, off and on.", he mouths distractedly between bites.

As he sees everyone scrambling to gather their things, "Oi! You lot! Cap'n said we had to leave it we was unemployed. 'Rora's She's got a job for us they're talking over. She hires us, we don't gotta leave. I, for one, am gonna have breakfast and find out if we've got a job."

"Kids these days. Always running nowhere in a hurry.", he mutters to the Mar with the sheet of paper.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:20 pm

"No offence meant, elder, but we still have to get our passes and muster to actually get the job."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:50 pm

*Sigh* "Fine boy, lead the way.", Korbrok tops off his tankard, stuffs some sausage, eggs and cheese in the pockets of his apron and grabs another rice cake before following the young dwarf to wherever he feels they need to be off to in such a hurry. Honestly, interrupting a perfectly good breakfast to go find passes? What's the world coming to...?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:53 pm

As the mercenaries finish breakfast many head out towards the city gate the seperates the High Quarter from the Old City and the Dells. As they exit from guilt square through the old gate onto Grand Avenue some stop and look. In the morning light the massive gates of the New Palace are just shattered, who or what had done that makes many of them stop and discuss it.

"Bloody things were covered in black carr three cee thick...how in the hell did someone take them down like that without a battering ram..." one observes

"By the ancestors...this is like the tales of the Old Protector's wars..." someone with more local history expounds

As others carry further down the avenue and start noting the signs of fighting on the disused parade ground that forms the meridian of Grand Avenue. They are passed by a horse wagon carrying a shrouded body from the new palace, the chain laying across the body is a simple affair, but does mark the body as being a Mar.

Others pause when they get to the intersection of Grand Avenue with Yerin IIV Avenue. Yerin square is the center of the High Quarter and there are people setting up a massive pyre in the center. One can make out the slots between the large trunks of wood where the bodies are to be inserted before the fire.
An old weary vetran just stops and looks at it..."It is a damn civil war...I don't know what is going on...but if this isn't the start of a civil war then I haven't spent twenty years in every God forsaken piss hole on three continents..."

The Gate

At the guard house things are not massively chaotic but obviously tense. There are guardsmen standing in the gateway. A few morning milk maids and their carts are standing outside arguing with the guards and pointing upwards, obviously annoyed at not being allowed to deliver the milk in the High Quarter this morning. On the other side a group of wealthy Xenthe merchants stand gestating that they wish to go down to Old Town and the docks. In all of the shouting going on a single guardsman sits on the steps outside the gate guard house wittling something and geneally looking like he doesn't give a damn. However, he is the highest ranking Guardsman there...

"I need to aquire a pass, as per the captian and Cohort."
"To go where and do what?" the sergeant asks..."Listen the only people who are to go through this gate must be on authorized business..which currently is only to bring up dead bodies, fire wood, or supplies...."

As others hear him they begin to berate him verbally....
"I have a right to use the Emperor's road you thin witted K'zar get..."
"I will speak to the Colonel of the Guard about this and have you demoted to third class urinal washer..."
"Oy...keep talking there fancy pants and perhaps the next time your in the Dells someone will cut off your wedding tackle rather than make it come to attention..."

.....and some of the other mercenaries begin to join in threating immediate violance if a pass is not turn over. As they do so, a group of young Mar appear from inside the guard house and being to argue back.
"If you think any Mar needs to answer to a Xefe like you..."
"Pah, you just want to go ejaculate in your gold before you count it you fat turd..."
"Keep on talking little britches and I will show you your Xefe guts on my blade..."

Matters continue to deteroriate towards violance....

The Mercenary Guild
The house captain and the cohort captain are gone for a moment. There are a few muffled thumps from somewhere and the Cohort officer reappears. Her green eyes are aglow and she marches herself into the withdrawing room. As she passes one of the stewards she states coldly, "Your captain needs a couple of raw steaks..."

A steward runs out. A few minutes later the house captain reappears with a bit of raw meat over one eye. He sits down at a table with a vetran still enjoying his morning beer and mutters, "You know, I've had my times with the Mar...they tend to roll over the rest of us when we get in the way, but usually don't get pissy if your job is to be a speed bump...but the the Soru...they tend to treat anything that has something dangling between its legs as being less intelligent than your common average alley cat...and just as needed. But only the bloody Mar would somehow manage to reproduce with one and wind up with the offspring in the process..."

The Withdrawing Room
The Cohort captain marches into the room and across it. She steers around the octoround that the guild has placed in the center of the room and stops a the bay window that looks out across a small garden, the palace outer walls and the Old city beyond. She says nothing just looks out the window as time passes by...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:07 pm

"The military cohort for a-pardon me." Maker turns around to the mob. "Excuse me, but violence will only make matters worse for us all, settle down or am I required to seperate you from each other?"
Maker uses tlelekenisis to seperate the crowd if need/or a fight starts out.

"Anyways I intend to get a job at the military sector and as I understand it I need a pass to continue to stay in this city and avoid being arressted."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:23 pm

"We were simply told to immediately acquire passes so as to avoid arrest, sergeant. The military cohort will tell us the where and what when the time comes."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Korbrok has finished off the rice cake, and pulls a sausage out of a pocket, biting into it between sips from his tankard.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 am

I guess one eye continues to wait... (if that's what he was told to do?)