The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 am

Yeah, Ray of frost in a pinch, but twinning cantrips is a bit of underutilizing if you need to do it too often. By the time you have access to it, you'll also have access to 2nd level spells, so that opens up your options more too. Also keep in mind that it works for non damage things as well, like Charm Person, Enlarge/Reduce, Phantasmal Force, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 am

I've not really looked at sorceror before, but metamagic looks kind of cool :) it feels a lot like the battle master options that fighters get, and there's a few options in there that look very useful in a pinch.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:21 am

Yeah, a few get tricky to parse (quickened, twinned), but they do add a fun ability to twist magic as you're casting it that helps separate the sorcerer from the other casters, especially since everyone now casts on a slot based system similar to the old sorcerer mechanic.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:10 pm

ooh, I didn't think of non-damaging spells. Yeah, that could be interesting. Is quickened that interesting, though? I though casting a spell as a bonus action still means you can't cast again, and unless I'm going to use Fire Breath I don't really have other actions to use. Or is that more for mixed-classes, so there's melee and magic?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 am

You can cast twice, as long as one is a bonus action and the other an action, but a least one must be a cantrip.

For example, a warlock could cast Hex (1st level, bonus action) on a target, then hit them with Eldritch Blast (cantrip, action) to get the Hex damage added to Blast damage.

You could quicken Sleep to cast it as a bonus action, but if one guy shrugged it off, you still have your action to cast a cantrip, so could zap him with Ray of Frost.

It does cost 2 SP to quicken though, so unless you need to do both things immediately... I kind of look at that as since 2 SP can be converted into a 1st level spell slot.. Is it worth that slot to do this? Getting to cast an extra damage cantrip, possibly not. If we are talking about Ray now vs an Orb later, that's a 2d8 drop in damage. It would need to be a case of wanting the damage NOW.

Utility cantrips might be worth it in certain situations... If it's dark and you can't see, and you cast Light to reveal a baddy, you could quicken a spell to drop on them.

There may be some other "combos" that have fun interaction, if I think of any, I'll mention them. ;)

Could be other times freeing up your action is good too... Being able to drop a Sleep and then Dash to get farther away from anyone you didn't drop? Maybe so. Disengage and still get off an attack?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm

So what's my status? Level up in the morning? But I don't get all my powers?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 pm

I need to work it out a bit, but yes, you'll level up after your long rest. I'll do a bit of a personal update for each of you as that happens, which will be public (but spoilers) unless you specifically ask for it to be done privately.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Okay, cool. Thanks.

(The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with holy water. It's a spell component, but "bless water" no longer seems to exist and I'm not finding rules on how to obtain it. If, IC, I don't know yet that I'll soon be able to cast first level spells, then I have absolutely no reason to obtain any from the temple. Even if I did, it's not clear how much it would cost. Or whether there's any other source.

ETA2: Apparently, holy water costs 25gp for a flask, or I can make it myself with a ritual that takes an hour, 25gp of silver dust, and a 1st level spell slot. Except I only need a "sprinkling" to cast the spell. The flask is designed to be thrown at undead or fiends. But there's no rule for just getting a small vial. This seems poorly planned. )
Last edited by WearsHats on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Sure. There's a description under Holy Water that describes how to make it:

A Cleric or Paladin may create holy water by performing a Special ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour to perform, uses 25 gp worth of powdered silver, and requires the caster to expend a 1st-level spell slot.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Just found that. (Edited above while you were posting.) Thanks. I can also buy it for 25gp. But I have no reason to do so yet, and I certainly don't have that kind of money. Frustrating.

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 pm

If you have a spellcasting focus it shouldn't matter too much since there is not a cost listed on bless water.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

5e doesn't have a bless water spell. There's one on d&d wiki, but it's strictly homebrew which is no good.

As for gold costs, don't worry about it too much right now. You guys are super poor right now, but you're also wandering out into the place upon which the entire town's economy is based :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

The sprinkling of holy water is just flavor text. Any spell that has a material component that doesn't have a price listed can be covered by use of a component pouch or spell casting focus. For a paladin, this would be use of a holy symbol. So as long as you present your symbol, say the words and wave your hands, you're good.

The only time you NEED the component is if the spell lists a cost, eg. "Chromatic Orb; Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 50 gp)". The items that need a valuable material component come in two flavors, those that can be used repeatedly, like the diamond for the orb, and those that consume the component as part of the spell.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Yeah, your spellcasting focus should do just fine :)

Sorry, I misunderstood what burns was saying I think.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Well, he was doing good until he tacked 'water' on the end. Rest of the sentence was fine!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Ah. Cool. I wish that was clearer. But good to know, and that does make things much easier.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

This would be a good point for you guys to get some RP chatting / introductions done amongst yourselves. I'm pretty busy still today and tomorrow and the next set of updates will take a while to do since it's the individual ones.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 am

I'm on vacation with the family and the brainpower I have when not too woozy think straight is largely going to them. Afraid I don't have much to spare for RP this week. Sorry. Rules chatter I can do, but writing dialog is beyond me.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:07 pm

No problem wears :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm

So, are we asleep now? Any sort of dream sequence? ;)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to get the update done now, but for some reason the hotel WiFi hates the goblins games forum... I'm trying :D

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Rodgeir wrote:So, are we asleep now? Any sort of dream sequence? ;)
At least Gwen did not roll a 1 on her vision/nightmares or she'd get more exhaustion!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Ok, so there we go. I managed to "break into" the wifi for the hotel next door (their password was the hotel name >:?) and it's letting me back on the forum again.

Some of you have had more interesting nights than others depending on what you've done so far in your journey and what you need to learn, but you are all now capable of unlocking your level two abilities (except your HP-upgrades, which you've all got). There's no great secret quest to do any of this stuff, just do a bit of practice / find the components you need and the level up will be triggered.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Question: how would changing/aquoring spells work?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm

For you, you can put in a request to your Grand Old Boss.

There's no mechanic for making contact, just do something cool :)