The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 am

Yeah, druids get their archetype at 2nd level, most classes it's at 3rd (with clerics, sorcerers and wizards at 1st).

Korrik gains:

HP: 1D8+1 = [3]+1 = 4 6

Ki Points: 2
Flurry of Blows
Patient Defense
Step of the Wind

Unarmored Movement: +10 ft
thinkslogically wrote:Burns: I haven't looked at protection against good and evil, but you should probably know that lizard folk are neutral in 5e.
It doesn't trigger off alignment, but based on whether it is of the following creature types: aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 am

Well, you can talk to Raina Ambershard on the trip, so you may want to hold off making any firm decisions until you get more info on what you might expect to find.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 am

I figured undead would be something we'd come across. It'd might not be used often but when it does..

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 am

Well, since we're all putting everything in a more organised list:

Mehr gains:
Hit Dice: 1d6
HP: 1d6+2 = 6, as before.
Feature: Font of Magic
Sorcery Points: 2
Magic: +1 spell, +1 L1 spell slot

Spell changes:
+ Sleep
- Mage Armour
+ ... Ahh, I don't wanna get Chromatic orb on the hope that our loot includes a sufficient diamond, but I don't really want the other options either.
Oh, maybe Detect Magic would help? I can't get Identify, but Detect Magic would tell us what school of magic the effects fall under?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:26 am

Dlover wrote:... Ahh, I don't wanna get Chromatic orb on the hope that our loot includes a sufficient diamond, but I don't really want the other options either.
Oh, maybe Detect Magic would help? I can't get Identify, but Detect Magic would tell us what school of magic the effects fall under?
Well, have you taken a look at the gems? You *might* be able to tell if there are any diamonds. I can check when I get back to the shop, which would be before you need to make leveling choices anyway.

Mage Armor might not be exciting, but being able to bump your AC from 11 to 14 for the adventuring day is nothing to sneeze at, especially if the front line goes down, or we face lizard archers that might take aim on our back row folks. Shield is also very good in a pinch (as it is cast as a reaction, so doesn't screw your action economy on your turn), and in conjunction with Mage Armor would make you very hard to hit... for one round anyway. That does end up burning two of your (effectively) four spell slots on strictly defensive stuff though.

Detect Magic can be pretty situational, and will always cost a slot unless you pick up some way to ritual cast in the future, but can be quite handy, and might have some nice flavor as far as Mehr starting this venture to collect magic relics from the jungle.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 am

... I honestly thought Mage Armour lasted one hour. But still, costing a spell slot for an extra 3 AC is... How often does 3 make the difference? I guess Mehr should take a look to see if there are at least any diamonds, even if he can't tell what value they have.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 am

Dlover wrote:How often does 3 make the difference?
15%, since you're rolling a d20, each point of AC affects the probability by 5%.

Yeah, 1 hour duration would make it pretty bad. With a duration of 8 hours, you can toss it on well before things get happening and it should plenty long.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am

[quote="spiderwrangler"
I've built out a sheet for you, and granted you access, so you should be able to modify it as you need.[/quote]

I went with great sword and defense. I will try to update the sheet tonight.

Thanks for the help! :cheer:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I figured undead would be something we'd come across. It'd might not be used often but when it does..
I don't think anyone's mentioned undead IC yet :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 am

Upon reaching level 2... (Have we, or are we just close? And will our new friend be starting at level 2?)

HP: 1D10+2 = [8]+2 = 10 + 12 = 22 total.

2 first level cleric spell slots. With a list of 3 prepared spells. I'll start with Bless (I'll need to get some holy water from the temple), cure light wounds (1d8+2), and I think purify food and drink if we're going to be out in the wilds. I'm open to suggestions, though. Kal is happy to consider advice.

Lay On Hands: HP pool increased to 10 per day.

Fighting style: Tough choice. I don't currently have a shield, and my battleaxe is versatile, so I can use it with one hand or two. My options are +1 to AC, +2 to one-handed damage, reroll weak damage rolls (1 or 2) with a two-handed weapon, or I can use my shield to impose disadvantage on attack rolls made against allies within 5 feet of me. I'd be inclined to that last, but I don't have a shield (yet). Shields cost 10gp that we don't have to spare. Thoughts?

Divine Smite: I can burn a spell slot to do an extra 2d8 (3d8 against fiends and undead) radiant damage upon hitting a target with a melee attack.

(Wish I'd remembered to try my divine sense before with the gnome. Oh well. Kal and I are still learning the ropes of this paladin thing. Then again, I doubt I would have found anything. They nerfed it to make "detect evil" a first level spell.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 am

There is no detect evil in 5e. Which is good for my other character. :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am

WearsHats wrote:(Wish I'd remembered to try my divine sense before with the gnome. Oh well. Kal and I are still learning the ropes of this paladin thing. Then again, I doubt I would have found anything. They nerfed it to make "detect evil" a first level spell.)
Yeah, reasonably sure she wasn't celestial, fiend or undead...

And as Burns alluded, the Detect Evil and Good triggers on creature type, not alignment.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 am

Varsk level 2 HP

http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=174177

So... If I had 13 before and I rolled a 9+2 and have a constitution modifier of 3 my final HP is 13+9+2+3= 27. Right?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 am

Where did the +2 come from? It is just hit die plus Con mod, so think you're at 25.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 pm

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Where did the +2 come from? It is just hit die plus Con mod, so think you're at 25.
I was copying WearsHats but I guess his plus two was a plus 3 for me? I have updated my sheet. I would appreciate if someone would take a look and let me know if anything is missing/wrong. Also, I don't know where to add the +1 ac from my defense fighting style.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Yeah, you should have +3 instead of +2 there.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to check your sheet but I'll try if no one else checks first. You guys aren't quite L2, but you will be after the next long rest so feel free to discuss options etc.

Gtg! Will check back when I can

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Yeah, you should have +3 instead of +2 there.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to check your sheet but I'll try if no one else checks first. You guys aren't quite L2, but you will be after the next long rest so feel free to discuss options etc.

Gtg! Will check back when I can
Spider went over my sheet and gave it a thumbs up. Sent you a PM.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Perfect.

Ok, so I've been thinking about levelling up a bit. If you guys want to make all your choices for levelling up, we'll "unlock" them as it becomes appropriate (e.g. "known" spells with unlock on a trigger, like finding a diamond). Stats and stuff will just level up as normal for now, but I'll probably figure out something similar for marshall classes so it's not just the magicians being penalised. What do you guys think? It'll spread out the levelling up process over a longer time, but also puts a bit of an onus on you guys to find a way to unlock your stuff.

What do you think? Any suggestions for making this work?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

I was already planning on mediating, working out and sparring with anyone willing as we sit on the boat headed up river.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

What about innvoactions? Mask of many faces would prboably be minor image being augmented to affect gwen? But not sure ablut devil sight?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm

They would come from your patron, right? I guess that could involve a bit of a chat :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Learning spells is easy enough for Mehr, at least, since Sorcerers learn new spells by... Well, practicing them.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 pm

You just need the components, right? I've got an idea for how that could work.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Technically the only components I need are ones with a cost associated, like a 50 gold diamond for Chromatic Orb. So long as I have a focus like my wand the other components aren't needed.
My game:

My characters: