The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Ok perfect. That actually brings us to another small point for your consideration, but as your PC's gain levels and get more and more abilities, I'm going to be relying more and more on you guys to know your own characters and abilities. I'm always completely happy to help if you need it, but I'll largely just trust you guys to know what your characters can do and to explain how it works (e.g. if I need to make a save or to remind me of ongoing effects etc.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm okay with putting off fighting style until I can get a shield. It's not like Kal has much fighting experience anyway. And, as a general theory, I'm okay generally with leveling up being a gradual process rather than waking up one day with a bunch of new abilities and stuff.

But how would that actually work for my spells? The three I picked out have no component other than a few drops of holy water for Bless. It's just the holy symbol and a few perfunctory words and gestures.

Would my Lay On Hands pool jump by 5, or would that be a slow rollout, too? Same with HP gain. I'm okay either way, but curious what you're thinking.

I'm okay with keeping track of my own abilities in terms of what they do, but what about the Lay On Hands pool? That might be trickier for me to track and I'm not sure I can update the character sheet very well from my phone (which is what I almost always use these days).
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I like having narrative ties to leveling, as you may have noticed in my game Thinks. Your level 2 bump was out of the ordinary, once you guys finish with the blights you'll have a bit of extended downtime as you level to 3.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Solved the problem of keeping track of your pool, Wears, just under your inventory and to the right of your spells. Just put in the maximum value and how much you've used in the outlined boxes.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 pm

I think his issue was updating a spreadsheet isn't easy to do by phone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeah, just scrolling around is a pain. I'm very grateful for the first page giving me most of what I need in any easy format.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Ah, right.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 pm

thinkslogically wrote:They would come from your patron, right? I guess that could involve a bit of a chat :)
Yey! Where? Via pms? Or in game?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 pm

You'll learn things about being a cleric /paladin as we go through the game I think. Probably.

I think you're likely to all hit l3 at different times so we can spend a bit more time on the RP side for each of you, so keep that in mind. It may be that you level relatively quickly or it may take a while. You'll all be l3 before someone hits l4 tho.

@burns: probably in game if you don't mind the other players seeing it? Everyone's been pretty cool with not meta gaming so it seems kind of unnessecary to do more than spoilers.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 am

Okay that's fine! Depending how the chat goes they might think gwen is crazy :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 am

Wasn't your patron coming to you in dreams?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 am

No. That was my bond. She has had the nightmares/visions way before she met her patron.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:24 am

Did you describe anywhere how you met your patron? If so, can you point me to the message please? If not, would you mind PMing me an idea about what happened? (Or post it here if you don't mind it being known ooc)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am

thinkslogically wrote:You'll learn things about being a cleric /paladin as we go through the game I think. Probably.

I think you're likely to all hit l3 at different times so we can spend a bit more time on the RP side for each of you, so keep that in mind. It may be that you level relatively quickly or it may take a while. You'll all be l3 before someone hits l4 tho.
Okay. Just let me know what I can do? Or am I supposed to discover for myself that I can heal more, am able to prepare spells, etc? Sorry, I get that you're still figuring things out, and that's fine, but I'm confused.

Also, didn't you say that to make things simpler we were all going to level up together? Based on party milestones rather than tracking individual XP? Did that change?

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 am

Yeah, I'm in meetings for the next week so I'm just grabbing time when I can in between sessions so I appreciate that I'm probably not explaining this stuff too well. These posts are typically taking 2-3 attempts to get through.

Anyway. Level 3 is kind of a special level in that it represents the end of your "training period" in 5e and gets you to a point where level 1 characters of previous editions typically started.

For level 3 at least, I'm going to try and take an approach using individual milestones. So I'm not tracking xp or anything, but there will hopefully be plot events for each of you that will guide you to level 3. Once you achieve your personal milestone you'll be level 3.

Essentially if you can be one level ahead of the game and let me know what you want your next level up to be (e.g. multiclassing, which l3 path you want, taking a feat, roughly which spells you want) I'll be able to integrate those into the story a bit as we go rather than dumping a bunch of stuff on you all at once.

That's what I want to try and do anyway, I can't promise it'll be quite as grand as it sounds, but I'll do my best :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 pm

If it helps, I'm planning to take the Oath of the Ancients (paladin of nature, basically) at level 3, then increase my Wisdom at 4 and take a level of Ranger. Not sure after that. But it gives you a sense of what I'm going for.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:55 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Sounds good to me :) You guys will meet a bunch of people on your travels, if you think someone might be able to train you in a skill (e.g. roguery) just ask them.

I think I said before, but you guys are welcome to contribute to the world building as much as you like. If you want a city to have someone you know in it or whatever, then just announce it / pm me :)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Lv3: tome feature, book of ancients (no more dark vision D:)
Lv4: go to bard rest of the way or go pure warlock. If warlock then lucky or spell sniper

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 am

Probably not going to get a post up until Tuesday, work got suddenly very very hectic. As for my advancement plans, for the moment, they're pretty simple: stick with Druid till L5, and take an extra 2 points of WIS at level 4. Beyond that, I haven't decided yet.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:07 am

I don't think there are really any choices to make except spells until level 4, and I've not worked those out yet.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:21 am

You'll have your metamagics to choose at level 3.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 am

Ah that's true, I have to choose... Well, one will be Empowered Spell, and the other... Probably Twinned Spell.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:41 am

Those are the two that my Sorcerer/Warlock has. Empowered is nice for extra damage to mitigate a bad damage roll (I've used it to good effect on Scorching Ray). Twinning is very good, just make sure you're mindful of spells that it can work on (there is errata on it as well... "Twinned Spell (p. 102). To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spellÔÇÖs current level."). So my Scorching Ray isn't usable here, but my Chromatic Orb is.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 am

Yeah, I was thinking that if I pick up Chromatic Orb it'll work with that, and if I don't then it'll work with Ray of Frost at the least, and I'll probably take another single-target spell at some point, with access to higher tiers.
My game:

My characters: