The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Korrik and Varsk both manage to keep their breakfasts safely in their stomachs while they go about investigating the shiny thing. As they get closer, they realise that it seems to be the top end of a shield attached to a heavily-armoured arm. They can't see if there's anything more down there, partly because the shield and arm are thoroughly lodged in the snake's throat.

Let me know how / if you plan to extricate this thing and we'll figure out what checks are needed.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Varsk will take a stab at it (haha). Pulling out an axe he'll set about splitting (not chopping) the snake open from it's jaw down a ways alternating between slicing and ripping open the snake with his hands until he has opened it enough to extract the remains.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm

All right, that's going to take some time to complete, but it'll work. Let's have a strength check and a nature check. You can have advantage on the rolls if someone else helps you.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Gwen can help. Partially for mitty, partially to find out what actially happened.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Going to bed but if someone wants to help you can roll again to see if it gets any better, but probably not needed. It got better. Varsk is a snake splitting expert, from all the rats he split as a kid. Still going to bed. :zzz:

Strength: 1d20+4 = 18
Nature: 1d20+3 = 21

Strength: 1d20+4 = 20
Nature: 1d20+3 = 23

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 pm

I let the others go get all snake-stinky, moving a bit away and keeping an eye on our surroundings, alert for any danger that the sound of a snake nearly eating a halfling, and possibly eating a kitty would have alerted and draw in our direction.

I've probably thanked Kal and the others about 6 times each at this point.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Varsk and Gwen make quick work of the snake carcass, splitting the creature in a spiral around the corpse caught in its throat. As the corpse slumps out, the arm and shield detach from the rest of the body and the whole mess clatters to the forest floor with a heavy, wet clang. Now exposed, the group can see that this carcass belongs a partially-digested dwarf wearing heavy chain mail. The flesh on her legs and lower torso are largely digested away to the bone, leaving only scraps of hide and leather behind. The mail and shield seem to be in salvageable condition at least though.

((This whole affair only takes a couple of minutes with those rolls))

Korrik waits nervously, watching the forest for cats and other halfling-eating monsters, but doesn't notice anything immediately alarming.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm

"Ewww! Gross! Are there any markings on the shield?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Kal investigates the shield.

1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 pm

The shield is heavy and kit-shaped, with a good-sized chunk of snake oesophagus still attached to the bottom point. It appears to have been crafted entirely from brass; the front is cast in the shape of a forward-facing boar's head situated within a runic knot. Two heavy brass handles are bolted to the inside, but there are no other notable markings.

It's definitely heavier than Raina's shield, but Kal believes he can use it (min. STR = 13).

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Well, I guess Mehr's making a dexterity check to cross. 15
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Mehriv successfully ford's the river, bringing the other end if the rope with him.

Everyone is now safely across and standing around the huge snake corpse.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 pm

((Oh, I thought you had the rope to help you. Sorry. Tired and distracted. But you made it across, so I guess it worked out.))

"Do any of you recognize the heraldry on this shield? If not, is there any objection to my claiming it? I'd like to take a minute to wash it off, if that's okay."

"Does anyone want the armor? The previous owner doesn't seem to have any further need for it, and it could help someone keep from joining her in the afterlife. "

"I'd also like a moment to say last rights for her."

"At least we can get some useful provisions out of this little adventure. Campfire roasted boa is better than you might think."

Raised in the remote wilds, Kal is very practical and utilitarian about these things.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:55 pm

I chime in with a grin, "If I thought it would keep me out of a snake, I'd take it. But it doesn't seem to have helped much in their case. I'm certainly willing to help you cook up some boa, I've not made it before, but glad to be the one doing the eating rather than the other way around!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm

I'll take nature checks for snake butchery :) (one person can use adv if you have help or you can just make a bunch of individual rolls).

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm

WearsHats wrote:"Do any of you recognize the heraldry on this shield?
There is no heraldry.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm

((Boar head within a runic knot sounds close enough for it to be a valid question though, even 'symbol' or the like might be more accurate.))

I help Kal out, aiding with what cooking knowledge I have, but following his lead when it comes to making snake steaks.

((Like to give him ADV with an assist.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 pm

((well, it's carved into the shape of a boar's head. It's not heraldry per se, but Mehriv would know that some lesser houses and clans take the symbol of a favoured animal to represent their family or the community they belong to. This is quite a common custom through the southern isles - it's not specific to dwarves.))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

((Oh, I looked back up and saw "No other notable markings" and just accepted that meant there was nothing.))

Mehr will make an attempt to identify whether this matches a specific group.
History: 1d20+2=20
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 pm

((Boar, or ram?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Mehriv ponders the boar symbol for a bit. He knows that boar's are a popular motif for a number of groups, but from the quality of the equipment, he suspects that this particular dwarf may have belonged to a group who call themselves the "Shields of Justice". As far as he knows, they are an ordinary mercenary band, albeit a fairly well funded one.

((Gwen may also recognise the symbol from her bounty hunting days, and so might Korrik and Varsk from their time in the wilds. I'll take an INT / history check from the three of you if you think it's appropriate)).
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Kal carves off the good snake meat.

1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

"Eating well is the best revenge, Korrik." :D

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Kal spends some time harvesting edible meat from the snake. He assumes that large snakes are about as edible as little ones and after about half an hour of work manages to recover enough meat that should last all of them a couple of days if they cook it. It seems that the dead dwarf may have been blocking the creatures throat for some time however, as the creature seems emaciated and weak for it's size, as if it has been starving for a long time.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Korrik has never had a run in with the group directly, but he knew them by reputation when he was a smuggler, and made a point of avoiding them. All he really knows of the Shields is that they venture into the wilds and roads near cities and work to maintain the rule of law in the face of banditry and raiders. As far as he was concerned they were just one more group to avoid.