The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

((Sounds good to me :) I'm trusting you guys to keep track of ammunition as needed too. If you ever need more, you can remind me by trying to find some in character))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

((Are you wanting to keep things on turn order, or are we free to post actions?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am

((You're off turn order now))

As Gwen cancels her blaring horn tunes, the forest falls quiet again, with only the sounds of chirping insects and the crunch of alligator jaws disturbing the peace.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:44 am

I'll continue on to the tree I was headed to and scout things out there... stealthily.

Stealth: 1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am

"I... I didn't think one arrow would kill him. I was just trying to slow him down and convince him to surrender. But I shot him in the back, and I killed him." Kal looks lost.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Varsk grunts a distracted half laugh at Kal's comment as he goes about figuring out how to haul the boss lizard up.

"Best we haul it up and get out of here. After that sound display the whole damned jungle is probably headin' here."

Varsk call carry the leader over a shoulder one handed right? If so he will pull the leader out of the branches and do so prepared to immediately move out.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I'll take a strength check from Varsk then. ((NB: The leader is unconscious, but safely with you guys in the tree. The other three guards are dead and on the ground))

Are you doing anything else to him before you move out or are you just going to hope he stays unconscious?

((I'll also remind you about the floaty light that Syli saw (but didn't tell you guys about) just in case she wants to act on that))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm

"We'll be doing more killing by the time we're done, Kal. These lizards are murderers, thieves, and kidnappers."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:06 pm

((The central tree, does it have any structures besides the platform the archers were shooting from on it? Is there anything of note with regards to the connected trees, or does this just seem to be a nexus for the bridges as they connect through the canopy?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Now that you have time to pause and check more thoroughly, you can see that this tree contains the large platform you're currently all standing on, build over the wide boughs of the sprawling lower limbs, and decorated with the bloody, dark red clawprint you saw earlier. There are four small, red, cloth scraps waving in the higher branches, and you spot two cleverly-disguised platforms that the archers were using. They are each wide enough to support two people, and are apparently designed to hide the look-outs from anyone approaching from the north (as you did). The coverings are little more than painted sacking, twigs and leaves, but they are clearly made by people who know what they are doing.

Two sacks on the platforms contain meager rations of a dark, dried meat, but there seems to be little else here. It would appear that this is indeed a look-out post at the nexus of several bridges, but whether there is some special significance to it or not, you can't tell from a cursory look.

((You can go ahead and roll if you want to try your skills here, but this is about what you can tell from a first look))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Kal looks around, but is too distraught to spot much.
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 pm

I check things over at the tree that I'm at, before heading back to the central one.
► Show Spoiler
"So, which way to we need to head from here, and do we drop the bridges behind us to slow pursuit? Our friend have anything to say?"

((I'm assuming I was too far distant when Kal was having his existential moment of crisis, but may attempt to comfort the paladin if he's visibly distraught.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Gwen tries to make sense of the markings, bridges and clothes to try to pin point the most likely location of the camp. Survival (tracking): 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 am

Mehr tries to recall anything he may know about lizardman culture and what these markings mean.

History: 1d20+2=12
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:38 am

► Show Spoiler
Varsk grunts as he pulls the leader. Seems like he is stuck? Probably don't want to break him pulling...

((Alternatively he drops him? That'd unfortunate.))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:54 am

Kal will help pull the lead lizard up.

Once up, he'll search the guy for weapons and anything else of interest.

And then bind him with rope so that he can walk (or be led/pulled) but not attack or escape.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Syli darts over to the fallen archer, checking to make sure it's down for good. If so, she claims its bow for herself, picking it up with her teeth. She then trots back toward the other end of the clearing, trying to get a better look at the strange light she had seen in the distance...

Perception (+5): 14

((Next up: figuring out how to shoot a bow and arrow as a cat.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:01 am

Korrik has a quick look around the tree he's at, spotting another blood-red claw mark painted on the trunk. Seeing nothing else of particular interest, he heads back to the others, wondering if the unconscious leader has said anything yet. He has not.

Gwen looks at the layout of the bridges she can see. From here, the lines lead north-north west, east, south-east and south. She guesses that they're probably on the edge of the network now, and by her reckoning, the mouth of the Morley river must lie somewhere to the north-east. Still, they must be well inside the Morley claim area by now. The fact that the lizardfolk's bridge network has been allowed to spread through these woods doesn't sit quite right. Why were they allowed to spread so far? Have the lizardfolk simply gone unnoticed and unchallenged? How long have they been expanding?

Mehriv ponders what he knows about lizardfolk tribes. He doesn't know a great deal, but remembers a story he heard from a noble merchant, who visited his father's house many years ago, that was told over fine, swirled brandies through a haze of refined smokeleaf. He remembers hearing that lizardfolk "culture", such as it is, is rather simple. They are a straightforward "people", far more like animals than the civilised dragonborn, with a tendency to indulge in violence and other base desires. But, apparently they have some sense of primitive, warrior's honour which at least sets them above the hateful kobolds.

Varsk moves to haul the leader over his shoulders, but his hands are sweaty and he drops the man. Fortunately, Kal is ready, and manages to catch him and lay him back down on the platform without causing him to wake up. Kal uses the opportunity to remove his shortsword and belt pouch, setting them to one side before tying the man's hands securely behind his back. He takes care to ensure the man's hands are tied closed in fists in case he tries to use his claws to escape the ropes. The lizardman groans and begins to stir.

Down below, Syli darts towards the fallen archer, but she's not the only one with that idea, and a huge alligator lunges up out of a pool close by and snaps its jaws closed around the body, and she's fairly sure there's another, smaller one watching from a few meters away. The lizardman's shortbow lies next to the body, but she's going to have to be careful of those alligators if she wants to retrieve it.

((Syli: How do you want to try and get the bow back?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 am

I snag the belt pouch and have a look inside.
((All the arrows are with the archers? Did any get lodged in the bridge or tree where they were firing at us (or lodged in anyone's flesh)? I'd like to take a closer look if there are...))
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 am

As far as Korrik can tell, the arrows must either have been lost or fallen with the archers.

He checks the belt pouch and finds a token made of some sort of bone. It's a flat, oval shape, with the face of a dragon carved into the surface, it looks like soot or something similar has been rubbed into the dragon's head, colouring it a dark grey. A bloody fingerprint marks the other side of the token.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 am

An actual fingerprint? Can I tell roughly how long it's been there?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:28 am

Merric goes over to the others, casually looking for the horn that was used as a warning call. If he finds it, he'll walk around the tree while trying to see if there are any markings that looks like peace and something to indicate how to blow the horn. Failing that, he'll blow on the horn two short sounds followed by a long.

If he can't find the horn (or it get snatched away from him) he'll look at the others intently.

"We should sound the horn to let them know the intruders have been dealt with two short and a long one is good times."

Merric Perception: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12
Merric investigation: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 pm

It is an actual fingerprint. I'll take a nature/knowledge check.

Merric can't find anything that looks like a horn. He wonders if it maybe fell out the tree with one of the others.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Okay what directions were the archers heading?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm

"Hey Kal, take a look at this, there is some sort of print on the back of it."

((Would like to assist to give advantage.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler